Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised to see the show back on PBS. I hadn't heard it would be on and we were switching channels and there it was. I enjoyed it and realized how much I missed it. 

• Love 3

I watched the first episode of Season 10 last night on Britbox. I only had 2 episodes available for now. 

Ok episode. Ruby is gone but Florence is back.  DI Parker is.....something else. Not sure how he survives day to day with all the stuff wrong with him. 

• LOL 3

We watch Death in Paradise on Ovation channel under Spectrum cable.  They have looped through at least twice and every time Jack becomes the DI the next episode is S1E1 with Poole arriving.  Does anyone know if there's an issue showing later episodes with Jack?

20 minutes ago, DaveA said:

We watch Death in Paradise on Ovation channel under Spectrum cable.  They have looped through at least twice and every time Jack becomes the DI the next episode is S1E1 with Poole arriving.  Does anyone know if there's an issue showing later episodes with Jack?

Shouldn't be cause I believe they have shown later eps on PBS???

1 hour ago, DaveA said:

That would be odd for them to cut in the middle of a season/series 6. Unless you meant that he shows up on Saint Marie, and you just might have missed his second episode on the island to close the season

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It could be Ovation doesn't have the rights to subsequent episodes.

That would be my guess.  For instance, the original Law and Order used to be segmented depending on the channel.  One channel had the rights to the first couple of seasons.  Another channel could show the later seasons.  And another could show them all. 

There are also shows I watch on streaming from other countries where Season 1 is actually the third or fourth season of a show because they don't have the rights, for whatever reason, for the earlier seasons.  It's weird. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Raja said:

That would be odd for them to cut in the middle of a season/series 6. Unless you meant that he shows up on Saint Marie, and you just might have missed his second episode on the island to close the season

I know quoting myself. 

However if you meant Jack becoming the DI while in the London episode I would guess Ovation just skips the remaining episodes of the last season that they had the rights to  in an attempt to avoid confusing the audience or not tease you for episodes that you won't see there. You will see from the beginning through the DI Humphey Goodman episodes.

I guess I should have been more clear.  They show through the end of the season, I think.  The last Jack episode you see is the one where one of the candidates for mayor is stabbed to death in the polling booth.

My station just aired the episode with the cyclists while "Jack's romance with Anna blooms".

I cannot like her but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because she's so bland, as if they said "let's come up with a woman that we can usher Jack off with. Maybe it's because she wants him to change his plans while it's too important for her "to be true to myself" to change hers to stay with him.

I'm so disappointed that Mooney, possibly my favourite, got ushered out that way.

• Love 1

I'm waiting for it next week but I read that while he didn't leave with her, it's left that they may get together afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out why I don't like Anna when I really like Catherine and Ruby.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'm waiting for it next week but I read that while he didn't leave with her, it's left that they may get together afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out why I don't like Anna when I really like Catherine and Ruby.

It wasn't that I didn't like her, it was that I really could take her or leave her. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Yeah.  That's what I mean about his exit story.  The door isn't shut on them but really, the way he's ushered out isn't about her.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Yeah.  That's what I mean about his exit story.  The door isn't shut on them but really, the way he's ushered out isn't about her.  

I think everyone expected the usual story line and it wasn't quite. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1

Season 10 Episode 3 (since PBS channel seasons are all over the place):

Spoiler

They really are setting it up for a relationship between Florence and Parker. I, frankly, do not see it. I cannot for the life of me see him in a committed partnership, yet now we "know" he was in one for 4 years. Yeah, in his head. Probably had a caregiver to hold his hand and feed him his meds. UGH! How did this guy become a cop? I don't think he could pass either a physical or even get through training!

I'm not liking it.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, statsgirl said:

My station just aired the episode with the cyclists while "Jack's romance with Anna blooms".

I cannot like her but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because she's so bland, as if they said "let's come up with a woman that we can usher Jack off with. Maybe it's because she wants him to change his plans while it's too important for her "to be true to myself" to change hers to stay with him.

I'm so disappointed that Mooney, possibly my favourite, got ushered out that way.

I think Anna just didn't have that "something" that I would have picked in a woman for Mooney. If he needed a romance, I would have picked Catherine. 

• Love 4

Watching season 10 on Britbox again after watching the first few episodes on YouTube. I won't spoil things for those who won't get a chance to watch it until later when it's more broadly available. We did get a sense of DI Parker from S9, so the biggest change in S10 is that Florence has returned. Not a fan of hers but based on my impression of her from the earlier seasons, she's a little better here (maybe some acting lessons, better jobs?) 

I don't think I really like Neville, I mean he's pleasant enough. It could be that him coming in right after Jack Mooney, who has become one of my favorite DIs, was a hard transition. His quirks and his myriad of ailments are just ridiculous. The "fish out of water" trope is tired. Perhaps the premise of the show is tired? 

Interested to hear thoughts from others who have seen it where we can talk without spoiling it too much!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Season 10 Episode 3 (since PBS channel seasons are all over the place):

Reveal spoiler

They really are setting it up for a relationship between Florence and Parker. I, frankly, do not see it. I cannot for the life of me see him in a committed partnership, yet now we "know" he was in one for 4 years. Yeah, in his head. Probably had a caregiver to hold his hand and feed him his meds. UGH! How did this guy become a cop? I don't think he could pass either a physical or even get through training!

I'm not liking it.

I actually don't mind it, I'm just not sure how it will work if they go there. 

I do want to see Neville soften up some. I like him and I like the show, they just need tamper down his quirks. Its okay for him to have them, that is his character but not so many! I just want to see him grow and try new things, like actual island food! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think Anna just didn't have that "something" that I would have picked in a woman for Mooney. If he needed a romance, I would have picked Catherine. 

Of course it's not her fault, but the actress who plays Anna was on Eastenders and I couldn't stand her because she had zero personality and came off as whiny and bitchy.  So my feeling about her transfers over to her role as Anna on this show.  

And, yes, I definitely would have picked Catherine.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Of course it's not her fault, but the actress who plays Anna was on Eastenders and I couldn't stand her because she had zero personality and came off as whiny and bitchy.  So my feeling about her transfers over to her role as Anna on this show.  

And, yes, I definitely would have picked Catherine.

I went into it knowing nothing about the actress but still didn't care much for her. 

• Love 1

I did not like Neville the first episode we saw him, but as this new season goes on, I like him more and more.   I actually thought Florence's attitude toward him in the beginning was condescending and petty.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm not so sure about that theory. I didn't think Anna had much personality, either. She was just there.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, izabella said:

I did not like Neville the first episode we saw him, but as this new season goes on, I like him more and more.   I actually thought Florence's attitude toward him in the beginning was condescending and petty.

She seems to be thawing a bit towards him. Maybe because he was so kind talking to her about Patrice. 

• Love 2

I don't get the Jack Mooney love over Neville. I found Jack to be bog standard dad mopey and just not very interesting. He was fine, but the mopes just bugged me.

Neville's quirks, while ridiculous, are funnier, and I love how he talks into his tape recorder. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not so sure about that theory. I didn't think Anna had much personality, either. She was just there.

I wasn't espousing a theory, I was just saying that I didn't like her on Eastenders, and I don't like her on this show either. 

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don't get the Jack Mooney love over Neville.

Awww, I like Jack better because Ardal played a cat person on Doctor Who (Brannigan, Gridlock episode) that I just loved! 😻

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Even though I haven't seen the second season of Neville, I think he might be closing in on second place amongst my faves.  

First will forever be Poole--by a long mile. Even though I continue to enjoy the show, there's always going to be a part of me that will be wistful about him. 

Jack was second for me for a long time.  I liked that he was kind.  But unfortunately, he also suffered from seasons when the mysteries were retreads of previous mysteries.  

And Humphrey is third for me.  I just never truly warmed up to him and found myself glad when he left.  

The reason Neville is closing in on second place is because I think he encapsulates some of the original true reluctant fish out of water that Poole originally embodied.  Plus, I think I would hate living on the islands as well--the sun, the heat--so not for me.  

• Love 8
On 4/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Even though I haven't seen the second season of Neville, I think he might be closing in on second place amongst my faves.  

First will forever be Poole--by a long mile. Even though I continue to enjoy the show, there's always going to be a part of me that will be wistful about him. 

I agree with you. I loved Richard Poole--while a definite fish out of water, he was more hands-on with the evidence (putting together a broken vase, getting a fish tank and super glue to expose fingerprints inside latex gloves, etc) and proved to be a very smart, knowledgable cop. Humphrey had a few similar moments, but most of the time I felt like he and Jack bumbled along until the mystery's solution came to mind for the grand finale resolution. I haven't seen as much of Neville yet, either, but he does exhibit some of Richard's "fish-out-of water" and "hands-on evidence tracking" tendencies while also attempting "some" of Humphrey's and Jack's friendlier attitudes with the others (except he does rub Selwyn the wrong way!).

Edited by kimaken
grammar correction
  • Love 6

Watching DiP on Ovation this morning & had forgotten Ralf Little was a guest, Season 2, ep 6!

I don't mind DI Parker, as his various peculiarities & eccentricities are more akin to our 2nd DI, Poole. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:07 PM, izabella said:

I actually thought Florence's attitude toward him in the beginning was condescending and petty.

I also disliked Camille at 1st for the same reason, but learnt to like all the main characters after a while. They are warm & funny.

Although I'm a big fan of the dark, pessimistic tone of Nordic noir shows, I so appreciate shows like this - a light, breezy detective mystery set in the Caribbean that doesn't take itself too seriously.  

• Love 6
On 4/23/2021 at 7:31 AM, BlackberryJam said:

I don't get the Jack Mooney love over Neville. I found Jack to be bog standard dad mopey and just not very interesting. He was fine, but the mopes just bugged me.

Neville's quirks, while ridiculous, are funnier, and I love how he talks into his tape recorder. 

Jack and Richard loved Harry. Neville has no real redeeming qualities.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Three episodes in and I am not loving Season 10. Mostly due to Neville, but I think it just might be time to close the book on it. We've lost so many characters over the years (except Catherine and the Commissioner), with more to come, and the cast is totally different. I keep hoping, but...

Spoiler

The "twist" was ok, but how it was carried out was awful. I did like the birth of JP's twins, but the Commissioner should not have given Marlon a second third chance. Total criminal mind. I'd have put him back in the slammer. Looks like we're stuck, though.

(edited)

Sounds like you all haven't watched as far as I have on Britbox, so I'll try not to post anything with spoilers, but I have to SQUEE at some of the things from episodes 5 & 6, so I will wait for you to catch up and (hopefully) be happy with me!

I like Neville, but because he seems to be the male version of me.  (Though hopefully I don't come off as fearful, neurotic, and annoying!) While I can tolerate sun better than he can, and I don't have deep vein thrombosis, I suffer from tons of allergies and respiratory problems.  Sometimes the outdoors just makes me sick. I can't touch animals.  I am a supertaster, so if there is much spice in food at all it is horribly overwhelming. (The aural equivalent would be if someone came up and shouted in your face. You could understand what they are saying, but it's harder to deal with and process the information than if they had come up to you and spoken in a normal voice.) Yep, fresh-ground black pepper is WAY too hot for me! I can't sleep on down bedding (Makes my head swell up like a balloon and my eyes swell shut!).  I like Neville because he still tries.  It's hard when people don't understand, even if you don't try to make a big deal out of things yourself.  I will try to quietly turn away and discretely take a couple puffs on my inhaler if I need it in a group situation  and someone will stare and loudly ask, "What's wrong with you? Do you need help? Why can't you breathe?!"  They are the ones making a production about it, not me.  If I can control my own environment things are easier.  It's when I'm thrown somewhere where I don't have control over what I come into contact with, that things are harder. My secretary kids me that I need one of those bubbles to live in.  I tell her that I would most certainly be allergic to whatever material the bubble thing is made out of! 😝

Anyway, I know it's played for comedy, but I usually love the commissioner and now I hate his treatment and opinion of Neville. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4

I’ll say this about Season 10 Episode 5, I have to figure out who made the yellow dress Florence is wearing (maybe a jumpsuit but I don’t think so). It’s lovely and I’d love to rock it this summer!

Ugh google is not helping!

• Love 3
On 4/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, swissair100 said:

Watching DiP on Ovation this morning & had forgotten Ralf Little was a guest, Season 2, ep 6!

Cool!  Who did he play?  He wasn't his current character, was he?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, Cowgirl said:

Anyway, I know it's played for comedy, but I usually love the commissioner and now I hate his treatment and opinion of Neville. 

The commissioner respected, perhaps even liked Richard; he seemed to really like Humphrey and Jack (probably because they both readily embraced the island life), but I think it's going to take a little while for the commissioner to get passed Neville's oddities to fully appreciate hiss quirky methods of crime resolution. For us viewers, it gives us a change of pace from the commissioner readily accepting the newest Brit officer ot one who has to work at accepting, liking, respecting his newest DI.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kimaken said:

The commissioner respected, perhaps even liked Richard; he seemed to really like Humphrey and Jack (probably because they both readily embraced the island life), but I think it's going to take a little while for the commissioner to get passed Neville's oddities to fully appreciate hiss quirky methods of crime resolution. For us viewers, it gives us a change of pace from the commissioner readily accepting the newest Brit officer ot one who has to work at accepting, liking, respecting his newest DI.

I also have noticed that the Commissioner has made some mistakes this season (or past ones) that Neville has "corrected". I don't think the Commissioner likes that at all, but I think he will come around. 

• Love 2

IIRC correctly, the Commissioner's dislike of Neville began when, rather than staying at the cottage on the beach, which was free for him to use, Neville moved into a pricey hotel which the department had to pay for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

IIRC correctly, the Commissioner's dislike of Neville began when, rather than staying at the cottage on the beach, which was free for him to use, Neville moved into a pricey hotel which the department had to pay for.

You're right about that. 

And I was mad that they were upset with Neville since he had been on vacation when he was suddenly told he was the lead investigator and had to move from his hotel to an amenity-free shack that barely has running water for a shower and that turned him into a mosquito buffet.

The Commissioner, and the others, also had zero sympathy, understanding or patience with his medical sensitivities which made them assholes, as far as I was concerned.  He didn't apply for the job you dragged him into!  Infected bug bites are not his fault, nor are they a reason for derision, Commissioner!

I always liked the Commissioner and the Honore Police, but their treatment of Neville has been a major fail, IMO.  The only saving grace is Neville does not give a shit how insulting they are to him.  At least, he doesn't appear to.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 12