Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watched last night which I'm assuming was the season finale and Neville has improved. Yes, he still has issues but he isn't as obnoxious about them as he was when first introduced. I found myself liking him a lot. The commissioner doesn't! ITs funny, my family is from the islands and I remember my aunt's husband, who was the top general in the country, dressing just like him, same colored suit etc....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I think the latest season has made its way to Acorn or Britbox, one of the two. I have both.

Sweet! I've been waiting! 😄

PS - I also have both, LOL.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I think the latest season has made its way to Acorn or Britbox, one of the two. I have both.

15 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Sweet! I've been waiting! 😄

PS - I also have both, LOL.

I see season 8 which has been on for a bit, but isn't there a Season 9 not on there yet?

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I see season 8 which has been on for a bit, but isn't there a Season 9 not on there yet?

Oh, I just went and checked. 😞 Season 9 is on Amazon for purchase, but it hasn't yet made it to Acorn or Britbox. The OP must've been mistaken. Sad. The wait continues!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

OK, I remember writing some pretty negative stuff about the show the last time I commented here…and I still think that to some degree it lost its way when Ben Miller left, despite some excellent post-Miller episodes (“Stab in the Dark,” for one).

Unfortunately, I didn’t really like Kris Marshall’s Humphrey Goodman, though I warmed up to him a bit more as time went by, and I thought Ardal O’Hanlan’s Jack Mooney could have been great if the writers had kept him Columbo-y (superficially bumbling and rambling, in reality as sharp as a whip) but was instead fairly colorless. (Also: whatever happened to his daughter? That whole plot line was a mess.)

As I’ve noted above, the episodes written by show creator Robert Thorogood tend to be far and away the best, both on the mystery and characterization fronts. (I’m guessing he’s created each DI character, not just Poole? He always writes each DI’s introductory episode.)

I am glad to say, however, that the show has won back my support on the character level. I like Ruby—surprisingly, as I expected her to be annoying—I like J.P., and I really like new DI Neville Parker (Ralf Little).

Largely that’s because Parker restores the Poole dynamic: he’s not as stick-in-the-mud as Poole, but he’s not comfortable in the Caribbean setting, as Goodman and Mooney were. The whole point of the show, especially its comedy, is fish-out-of-water. Making Goodman and Mooney likable fellows who wanted to and eventually did blend in with Caribbean life made some sense because they didn’t want to copy Poole, but it deprived the show of its whole raison d’être. 

So Parker’s pettiness and (realistic!) quirkiness are a breath of fresh air. Little himself is excellent: sometimes I felt Marshall and O’Hanlan couldn’t sell the soap-operatics in addition to the humor, but Little can and does. The last episode I saw, “Now You See Him, Now You Don’t” (S9:E8), has some clichéd dialogue that manages to sound believable because of Little (and, in one key scene, guest star Frances Tomelty).

Florence’s replacement, Madeleine Dumas (Aude Legastelois), is easy on the eyes but, unfortunately, not all that great an actress (maybe because of the language barrier?). Possibly because of that, the writers give her hardly anything to do. Heck, I’d bet Ruby gets more to say and do. Hilariously, Madeleine sounds and is outfitted exactly like Camille, to the point that I thought they were going to reveal she’s Camille’s never-before-mentioned sister. (Catherine, you didn’t tell us!) With how similar Parker and Madeleine are to Poole and Camille, it looks like Thorogood is trying to recreate the original season’s dynamic. Especially eight seasons later, I approve.

I’m happier on the character than on the mystery front: even the last Thorogood-penned episode, “Switcharoo” (S9:E5), totally lacked clues despite a great idea (largely taken from Agatha Christie’s Evil Under the Sun). Still, I’m getting reinvested in the show after dithering on whether or not I wanted to keep watching.

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 10
(edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Salzmank said:

Largely that’s because Parker restores the Poole dynamic: he’s not as stick-in-the-mud as Poole, but he’s not comfortable in the Caribbean setting, as Goodman and Mooney were. The whole point of the show, especially its comedy, is fish-out-of-water. Making Goodman and Mooney likable fellows who wanted to and eventually did blend in with Caribbean life made some sense because they didn’t want to copy Poole, but it deprived the show of its whole raison d’être. 

I told my husband that Parker reminds me more of Poole than Goodman and Mooney (who is his favorite). I liked them both as well, but it has gone back to that fish out of water scenario as you said. I approve. He grew on me, he isn't too annoying as he was first episode, but hopefully he can keep his quirks. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
On 6/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, Salzmank said:

Florence’s replacement, Madeleine Dumas (Aude Legastelois), is easy on the eyes but, unfortunately, not all that great an actress (maybe because of the language barrier?). Possibly because of that, the writers give her hardly anything to do. Heck, I’d bet Ruby gets more to say and do. Hilariously, she sounds and is outfitted exactly like Camille, to the point that I thought they were going to reveal she’s Camille’s never-before-mentioned sister. (Catherine, you didn’t tell us!) With how similar Parker and Madeleine are to Poole and Camille, it looks like Thorogood is trying to recreate the original season’s dynamic. Especially eight seasons later, I approve.

Yikes! Go back and look at pictures of Camille. She and Ruby look NOTHING alike. 

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, TVForever said:

She and Ruby look NOTHING alike. 

I think she was talking about Camille and Madeleine.  The show does have a template with the female detective.  As soon as they're promoted to that right hand woman role, they all start dressing in tighter clothing.  I don't think they've really distinguished Madeleine yet.  

On 6/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Salzmank said:

Largely that’s because Parker restores the Poole dynamic: he’s not as stick-in-the-mud as Poole, but he’s not comfortable in the Caribbean setting, as Goodman and Mooney were. The whole point of the show, especially its comedy, is fish-out-of-water.

Exactly.  Parker isn't comfortable in the environment but he's less prickly about it.  In fact, once he got past his introduction, he was turning out to be quite kind but in a different way than Mooney.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Yikes! Go back and look at pictures of Camille. She and Ruby look NOTHING alike. 

It would be yikes indeed if I’d meant that, but I didn’t: Madeleine looks and is outfitted exactly like Camille, as I think my context clearly indicates.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Salzmank said:

It would be yikes indeed if I’d meant that, but I didn’t: Madeleine looks and is outfitted exactly like Camille, as I think my context clearly indicates.

Okay, now I get it. Although, if I can throw in my two cents, I saw more of a resemblance between Madeleine and Catherine! They actually look more like mother and daughter than 

Catherine and Camille did.

Either way, sorry for the misunderstanding...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I started out watching Midsomer Murders and Agatha Raisin and the list suggested this show. So I've been  bingeing this and just finished Season 8's Beyond the Shining Sea. 

I liked Poole and thought it was dumb to kill  him off. Humphrey was ok but it seemed like he was just hitting his stride when he left. 

Mooney is alright so far, but it's starting to get repetitive.  There's been what, 4 cases now of some guy with a younger woman and he or she ends up murdered and they find out they were father/daughter. 

The "romance" between Florence and Patrice was out of nowhere and boring. Seemed forced to me. And the suspect thought that  murder was the answer? Jeez. I may just finish off Season 8 and leave it there. Amazon Prime doesn't have Season 9 free yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, TVForever said:

Okay, now I get it. Although, if I can throw in my two cents, I saw more of a resemblance between Madeleine and Catherine! They actually look more like mother and daughter than 

Catherine and Camille did.

Either way, sorry for the misunderstanding...

Sorry to take so long to respond, but no worries!

Agreed that Madeleine and Catherine look more like mother and daughter than Camille and Catherine. Oh, and BTW: I keep wishing they’d give Catherine more to do… She’s a lot of fun!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, BookWitch said:

I started out watching Midsomer Murders and Agatha Raisin and the list suggested this show. So I've been  bingeing this and just finished Season 8's Beyond the Shining Sea. 

I liked Poole and thought it was dumb to kill  him off. Humphrey was ok but it seemed like he was just hitting his stride when he left. 

Mooney is alright so far, but it's starting to get repetitive.  There's been what, 4 cases now of some guy with a younger woman and he or she ends up murdered and they find out they were father/daughter. 

The "romance" between Florence and Patrice was out of nowhere and boring. Seemed forced to me. And the suspect thought that  murder was the answer? Jeez. I may just finish off Season 8 and leave it there. Amazon Prime doesn't have Season 9 free yet.

I'm a big fan of the show, but I can’t really disagree with anything you’ve written here. It was the wrong decision to kill off Poole, the show is repetitive (and extremely formulaic), the soap-operatics often seem forced, dull. Even the mystery-plotting—my primary interest in the show—hasn’t been really that good for several reasons.

And yet I just enjoy it: the good cheer, the good settings, how nothing’s ever too dark (knock on wood), the humor. So I’m going to keep watching; Rolf Little, the latest DI, has really lifted my hopes for this show, acting- and humor-wise. Hope the plots start (re)improving…

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 4

I know the actors chose to leave but the show didn't have to kill them! Just have them go home. 

Just finished up Season 8 and Amazon Prime wants money for Season 9 so I won't be seeing that for awhile. (sigh)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

It’s a nice easy show to watch. The fish out of water aspect is charming. The supporting characters are developed. Sure, the mysteries are formulaic, but it’s comforting. I still miss Florence.

I agree. It is comforting. I don't mind the actors leaving after a certain time, I'm a Doctor Who fan so I'm way used to that! 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

This is good news for me.  I always liked Florence.  And I won't miss Ruby.

I was finally warming to Ruby, but I am excited about Florence coming back. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Interesting news. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was sad to see Florence leave, but I was really settling in to the new dynamic with the new group. Even Ruby had been toned down quite a bit from her introduction, and had become more of a quirky young woman who was shown to have very good instincts for police work and could be quite a sweet friend.

And Madeline didn't do much for me at first, but over time she also grew on me. I think the writers gave her a little more personality, and though she's the quiet type, her teasing looks at Mooney (and now Parker) always made me chuckle a bit.

So ultimately, I'm fine with Florence coming back, but I'll actually miss the ensemble that had come together.

• Love 6
(edited)

Oof. That’s weird—probably an even weirder cast change decision than killing off Poole.

I don’t think I really like it. I don’t especially miss Florence, and I’m shocked to say I like Ruby, who I thought would be annoying but who’s added a fun, ‘quirky,’ Dwayne-esque vibe.

While I don’t particularly love Madeleine, the character and actress needed more time to develop. 

More than anything, though, Thorogood was trying to bring back the original Poole-Camille dynamic with Parker-Madeleine, even to the point of having Maddy dressed like Camille, so this change makes little sense to me.

Oh well. This has never been a character-based show, and we don’t know if the actresses for Ruby and Madeleine made this decision themselves, but... Gah.

All of that to one side, though, I’m just happy the show is coming back for another season.

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm wondering if they will go in that direction. 

Looks like it:

Hinting at yet more uncertainty for DI Mooney's replacement, the synopsis for series 10 adds: "Is Neville really built for a life in the tropics? And is a romantic relationship ever going to be possible for him?"

Edited by Salzmank
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Salzmank said:

Maddy dressed like Camille, so this change makes little sense to me.

Don't all the female detective dress like Camille?  Florence was in uniform until Camille left and then she started wearing tight clothes.

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm wondering if they will go in that direction. 

I'm pretty sure they were going in that direction regardless of who the female DI would be.  If it weren't Florence, it'd be Madeleine. 

I'm a little surprised at this, though.  I wonder what made the actress change her mind and want to come back. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm not sure which is more surprising;  someone coming back, or the showrunners/producers actually bringing someone back.

Seems like the show had started and maintained a motif after so long.  That motif being a revolving door.  IE, the main male & female leads sticking around for 2 to 3ish seasons before leaving so someone else can take their spot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

A relationship between Neville and Florence would be inappropriate, given that he is her superior officer.

And yucky, as she has to call him Sir all the time.

I would rather see Neville develop a crush on Catherine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

A relationship between Neville and Florence would be inappropriate, given that he is her superior officer.

And yucky, as she has to call him Sir all the time.

I would rather see Neville develop a crush on Catherine.

Well, the show did start by building up to a Poole-Camille relationship…

As for Catherine, I’m kind of surprised we didn’t have a Mooney-Catherine relationship. Maybe the writers expected O’Hanlan would eventually leave the show and of course wanted Bourgine to stay.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Salzmank said:

And then they tried to do something with Humphries and Camille as well.  Wasn't he about to tell her how he feels or something before she left?

So I think they might hint but I would be surprised if they actually did anything official.

1 hour ago, Salzmank said:

As for Catherine, I’m kind of surprised we didn’t have a Mooney-Catherine relationship.

Same.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

And then they tried to do something with Humphries and Camille as well.  Wasn't he about to tell her how he feels or something before she left?

Right; I actually forgot about that.

So I think they might hint but I would be surprised if they actually did anything official.

Fair point.

6 hours ago, Salzmank said:

As for Catherine, I’m kind of surprised we didn’t have a Mooney-Catherine relationship. Maybe the writers expected O’Hanlan would eventually leave the show and of course wanted Bourgine to stay.

It was pretty obvious Camille had deep feelings for Poole. 

I always thought Mooney and Catherine would at least have some kind of flirtation.  I thought Mooney was cute. 

4 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

He admitted he was in love with her but the feeling wasn't mutual. 

• Love 1
On 7/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Don't all the female detective dress like Camille?  Florence was in uniform until Camille left and then she started wearing tight clothes.

Well, they all wear tight clothes when they’re promoted to No. 2, yes, but, well, just look at these:

700x373

sei_54647232-6166.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

Hair styles and clothes (complete with belts) nearly identical.

• Love 4
On 7/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, hula-la said:

Poole was killed off because the actor chose to leave. I found this article, which explains why the various actors have left over the years. The show might be formulaic, but I still love it.   https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a869058/death-in-paradise-ardal-o-hanlon-quit-danny-john-jules-kris-marshall/

He could have been written off without being killed....disappeared, just went back to London. I've always thought it was unnecessary to kill him even if the actor requested that ending.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

He could have been written off without being killed....disappeared, just went back to London. I've always thought it was unnecessary to kill him even if the actor requested that ending.

Also seems curious it was just Poole who was killed off, and no one else (so far).

• Love 1

My station airs DiP rather irregularly, and I can't always get that station, so I see the episodes in rather random order.  The characters change so often that I'm glad to see ones I have seen before.  At this point my favorites are the Commissioner and Catherine.  I miss Dwayne.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, catrice2 said:

It made a nice bookend, though.  In the first episode of the first season, Poole was brought in to solve the murder of his predecessor.  Then his successor was brought in to solve his murder.

Edited by treeofdreams
A period is not the same as a comma.
  • Love 7

I liked  the first group.  I miss Fidel, Camille, and Poole was the best.  Since I am in the U.S. and don't have whatever service they release to first, I am waiting for the last season as well as the last season of Vera. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

If the series continues on long enough and they have another DI switch, I wish they would bring in a woman as the new Detective Inspector.

I know they're different entities and such, but considering how long (overall) it took to see a female Doctor on Doctor Who, I wouldn't hold my breath on hoping to see a female DI too soon.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1