Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What cemented my irritation with Humphrey was that he initially blocked Camille's transfer because he had the 'feels' for her.  That was beyond the pale for me (and IMO should be considered a form of sexual harrassment [someone in a supervisory position influencing someone's job/promotion/transfer due to their desire for that employee]).  Yes, I know he finally relented, but it sealed my dislike for the character (do I still watch reruns of his seasons?  Yes, but I do prefer the two other inspectors that I have watched [my PBS hasn't gotten to Neville yet]).

• Like 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

What cemented my irritation with Humphrey was that he initially blocked Camille's transfer because he had the 'feels' for her.  That was beyond the pale for me (and IMO should be considered a form of sexual harrassment [someone in a supervisory position influencing someone's job/promotion/transfer due to their desire for that employee]).  Yes, I know he finally relented, but it sealed my dislike for the character (do I still watch reruns of his seasons?  Yes, but I do prefer the two other inspectors that I have watched [my PBS hasn't gotten to Neville yet]).

Yes that was a big problem. I will give Neville credit, once he knew his chance with Florence wasn't going to happen, he graciously accepted being friends and even recommended her for the assignment she went on that took her off the island. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes that was a big problem. I will give Neville credit, once he knew his chance with Florence wasn't going to happen,

I think it didn't bother me so much because 1. I knew how it was going to play out as soon as the Commissioner told him his options and 2. I generally ignore the more 'soap opera' ish elements of the show. I don't think there's been a single personal relationship that I cared even a little about except a little for Humphrey/Martha (another reason I'm glad for the spinoff), I didn't care about Florence/Patrice, Dwayne/Darlene, Jack/Anna or even JP/Rosie (though I cared more when it was the first Rosie and not the second even if the second was really his wife)

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I think it didn't bother me so much because 1. I knew how it was going to play out as soon as the Commissioner told him his options and 2. I generally ignore the more 'soap opera' ish elements of the show. I don't think there's been a single personal relationship that I cared even a little about except a little for Humphrey/Martha (another reason I'm glad for the spinoff), I didn't care about Florence/Patrice, Dwayne/Darlene, Jack/Anna or even JP/Rosie (though I cared more when it was the first Rosie and not the second even if the second was really his wife)

I was not a fan of Anna. It just felt too forced. I'm glad he didn't leave with her. Another too forced was Patrice. I like Rosie! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I was not a fan of Anna. It just felt too forced. I'm glad he didn't leave with her. Another too forced was Patrice. I like Rosie! 

Same. Anna and Jack didn't have much chemistry, and I'm glad the writers did the misdirection of making us think he was going to leave with her, but instead had him move back to be with his daughter, Siobhan.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, hula-la said:

A spin-off series has just been announced. “Beyond Paradise” will follow DI Humphrey and Martha as they settle down in a British town with a shockingly high death rate. 

https://redplanetpictures.co.uk/news/death-in-paradise-universe-to-extend-with-humphrey-goodman-spin-off-series

Just saw the preview, looks nice; But Humphrey Goodman was my least favorite DI. I have a hard time forgiving his almost ruining Camille's chance to go to Paris.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I wish that these mysteries were more "fair," i.e. that viewers were given enough clues to try to solve them.  My PBS station just showed 11.1, "a seemingly simple kidnapping ends in murder." Neville found something stuck to his shoe, but didn't say what it was until the big reveal scene.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Driad said:

I wish that these mysteries were more "fair," i.e. that viewers were given enough clues to try to solve them.  My PBS station just showed 11.1, "a seemingly simple kidnapping ends in murder." Neville found something stuck to his shoe, but didn't say what it was until the big reveal scene.

I don't really  mind it as I like to be surprised. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:
1 hour ago, Driad said:

I don't really  mind it as I like to be surprised. 

A lot of them are solved by looking at either- the last person to see the victim or- the first person to discover the victim.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh, good grief. Our PBS station has gone back to almost the beginning - the one with the bride being killed on her wedding day with the entire wedding party on the same floor in the hotel with that creepy butler. The one where Camille takes Poole to her mom's bar without telling him she's her mom. It was nice to see Dwayne & Fidel again, though.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, good grief. Our PBS station has gone back to almost the beginning - the one with the bride being killed on her wedding day with the entire wedding party on the same floor in the hotel with that creepy butler. The one where Camille takes Poole to her mom's bar without telling him she's her mom. It was nice to see Dwayne & Fidel again, though.

I like the new team a lot (still meh on Neville, though), but I very much miss Dwayne and Fidel. I actually saw Gary Carr in the Chadwick Boseman film 21 Bridges (not very good, btw-lol). It was odd hearing Carr with an American accent.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Agree. I miss Dwayne and Fidel as well.

Speaking of other roles, I saw Gary Carr in the HBO show The Deuce, where he plays a pimp. It was so jarring because I loved Fidel, and I HATED his character  (CC) in the Deuce so much! He had an American accent in that one too. 

He has great range as an actor, I'll say that! 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

My PBS station just showed the episode in which Jack leaves the island.  I am sad to see him go as he seemed to really apply himself to island life and sincerely enjoyed his colleagues.  At least they gave him a good send-off in that he was going "home" and would be closer to his daughter.  

Hopefully the station will now show the new inspector but the station is well known for going back to season 1 and working their way back to the newer episodes (I do enjoy the early seasons though).

I noticed the info about the new series on Acorn.  Do you think Acorn or BritBox would be the better one to which I should subscribe as I love these types of shows?  Thanks.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Just watched the first episode with DI Parker/Packer (?).  Wow do I feel for him with all of his allergies, etc.  It's not so funny to me as he looks to be in pain.  However, he did seem to be his own unique person and I liked his confusion at to how to explain the findings of the murder case.  

Poor JP, I think he's going to get a lot of in the middle of the night phone calls.

• Love 1

Death in Paradise - Christmas Special 2022 - Press Release

A festive feature-length special.

Christmas in Saint Marie takes a spooky turn this year when an old case of Selwyn’s comes back to haunt him following the murder of a true crime podcaster on the hunt for a missing child. Marlon is forced to spend the night in a haunted house and Darlene takes a hard look at her life choices. And after a chance encounter in an airport car park, could love finally be in the air for Neville Parker?

Series 12

The new series kicks off with the mysterious death of a celebrity astronomer and a change of job for Darlene. We also meet a bunch of Preppers digging in for the apocalypse on a Saint Marie hillside, when the end comes dramatically early for one of them. An impossible killing on a boat takes the team to a beautiful beach under threat, and an apparently straightforward domestic murder twists into what could be Neville's greatest ever challenge...

Guest stars including: Chelsea Edge (I Hate Suzie), Robert Webb (Peep Show), Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Black Sails), Jo Martin (Doctor Who), Christopher Villiers (Top Secret!), Kevin Eldon (Sanditon), Amit Shah (Happy Valley), Jo Hartley (After Life), Barney Walsh (The Larkins), John Michie (Coronation Street), Fiona Button (The Split), Okorie Chukwu (Kate & Koji), Gamba Cole (The Outlaws), Cara Theobald (Downton Abbey) and more.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, highway61 said:

Just an aside - to me, the Commissioner comes across as a very heavyset man most of the time, but when he's dressed in a fun shirt at the bar, he really looks quite fit.

Yup. I saw him in some other Brit show a while ago and was pleasantly surprised that he's not flabby. Selwyn just *seems* like he'd be flabby.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I loved the Christmas special. The story was compelling, and the guest cast was superb, especially the actor that played Marvin (Hakeem Kae-Kazim). And this episode made me excited for season 12!

I hope it is available in the states. 

• Like 1

Hm, the spin off I wanted and waited for was Camille in Paris solving crimes!   Then she could recruit one of the old gang to work for her....Fidel, Florence..... 

Richard will always be my favorite, along with Camille and Fidel.   The rest are fine, but that was the dream team....with Dwayne.

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't even remember Madeleine.

lol, she really wasn't very memorable, she was the one that came to investigate Jack after Florence was shot, then she stayed as the DS. I saw an article that said the actress had left because she didn't have any 'chemistry' with Neville. I'd say she didn't have chemistry with anyone.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

lol, she really wasn't very memorable, she was the one that came to investigate Jack after Florence was shot, then she stayed as the DS. I saw an article that said the actress had left because she didn't have any 'chemistry' with Neville. I'd say she didn't have chemistry with anyone.

No, she really didn't. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That's odd. I'm in the US and my BBox only had Christmas. Maybe I need to reboot ye olde tv.

What I had to do was click on the Christmas special, have it start playing and then hit the "back" button to show me seasons and episodes, then I could click on Season 12 and get the first 2 episodes. Just searching for Season 12 didn't work,

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1