Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I agree there was no reason to have her back. Did it help Neville grow in some way? I don't know. I do know I hated every single minute of Neville having feelings for Florence, so I'm glad that we don't need to deal with it. I barely remember Madeline, she didn't bother but she also wasn't on long enough for me to have any position on her.

Neville changed a lot during his friendship with Florence, she brought out the best in him.  He stopped being so neurosis ridden, he became adventurous, and less annoying (in my opinion).  But the storyline about him having feelings for her was a very bad idea.  So perhaps she brought him back for his character development, but never meant her to stay so her season long appearance had a purpose as did her departure.

Just guessing here...

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Neville changed a lot during his friendship with Florence, she brought out the best in him.  He stopped being so neurosis ridden, he became adventurous, and less annoying (in my opinion).

That's a good point. 

• Love 2

As has been said, the main purpose of bringing Florence back was to have someone who could show Neville there was a better way to live his life than putting his allergies and neurosis ahead of everything else.

As far as him having feelings for her, as Ralf has said, she is warm, kind, charming, intelligent, funny and beautiful.  She also became his best friend, is it really that much of a stretch to imagine him falling in love with someone like that?  I don't think so.  Josie also said after she left that she had originally only planned to go back for series 10, I wouldn't be surprised if the romance story and the cliffhanger plotline were to try and convince her to stay longer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Neville changed a lot during his friendship with Florence, she brought out the best in him.  He stopped being so neurosis ridden, he became adventurous, and less annoying (in my opinion).  But the storyline about him having feelings for her was a very bad idea.  So perhaps she brought him back for his character development, but never meant her to stay so her season long appearance had a purpose as did her departure.

Just guessing here...

Our when it is his turn to leave, she will show up and they will sail off into the sunset? I don't mind them as a couple but I think they are better off having them getting back to being friends. Her leaving whether for good nor not, is fine. I will miss her though. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 1/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, dgpolo said:

Sort of a semi-serious question, on New Tricks, which is only slightly more realistic maybe, Sasha, the woman brought in to replace Sondra, was married to a fellow officer (at least in the first episode), would that be something totally unrealistic? are there cops married to each other?

Speaking of which -- Tamzin Outhwaite, who played Sasha, is on the second episode of the new season 11, which showed up yesterday on Britbox. 

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 1

The DVD Set for Series 11 has the feature length Christmas movie with the return of Dwayne (I really miss him) for that story.  But when the new season started on my local PBS station, they didn't show it and went right to episode 3 of the season.  I haven't heard from my PBS station (which I e-mailed), but why aren't they showing the movie (it was filmed to be shown after Season 10  and before the start of Season11.

• Love 1

That's strange. Our PBS station showed both parts of the Christmas special several times before showing episode 3.

My DVR doesn't always catch it because they don't always post them as "new" episodes, so I've had to tell it to record new and reruns to get them all, though.

You might go to your local station's website to see if it's there, or if it's available on demand through your cable system (if you have cable).

• Love 1

I'm irritated at my PBS channel. They are still showing repeats of other seasons. Nothing from S11. I'm also irritated at Brit box, They only have the Christmas special and the first 2 episodes up. What day do they load more?

43 minutes ago, sadtvjunkie said:

I'm also irritated at Brit box, They only have the Christmas special and the first 2 episodes up. What day do they load more?

BritBox typically posts on Tuesday mornings. They just posted the first two episodes of Season 11 yesterday.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

BritBox typically posts on Tuesday mornings. They just posted the first two episodes of Season 11 yesterday.

Their homepage says new episodes every Tuesday. I've watched both of the available ones already. How long til Tuesday? LOL.

I like Naomi, too. She's got personality, but she's not weird or over-the-top.

The other guy (can't remember his name right now) has lost ALL of his personality lately. I hope with the Florence drama over they can give them both some more to do and more personality to show through.

1 hour ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I like Naomi, too. She's got personality, but she's not weird or over-the-top.

The other guy (can't remember his name right now) has lost ALL of his personality lately. I hope with the Florence drama over they can give them both some more to do and more personality to show through.

Marlon. I think he still has his personality, but I also think he is realizing the importance of his job. 

• Love 3
On 5/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, libgirl2 said:

Marlon. I think he still has his personality, but I also think he is realizing the importance of his job. 

I just don't feel like I've seen much from him lately, but I'm hopeful that we'll see more of his spunk in the future. I do agree that he's realizing the importance of his job, that's true, but he's been quieter than I expected.  I'm hopeful he can still be serious about the job while being funny, too.

but again, I think that's more because they've focused on building up Florence's departure than anything.  

• Love 1

I do agree that Marlon is subdued in the Christmas part1 show (which premiered in my area last night), but I put it down to needing some balance because Dwayne has returned.  Can't have 2 loose cannons on the same case.  That said I do agree that he is also seeing the importance of his job.  Dwayne will help by providing the 'bad' influence after his training.

Also, losing the suspect due to Dwayne's behavior opened his eyes as well.  Good jobs by both actors.

I do hope the new guy from England will stay on the show - I really like his character.

And the Florence drama can stop any time but given that she is just on vacation with family does not fill me with hope.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Does anyone know when the latest season (season 11) of Death in Paradise will air on PBS (the regular TV channel , not some other service)?  I'm hoping it is soon!

WTTW Chicago has it on already. 

• Love 1

Thanks.  I was hoping for it here in Arizona.  Season 10 reruns just ended, and I thought it was logical that they would start season 11 right after, but instead they switched back to season 1.  😢

38 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Does anyone know when the latest season (season 11) of Death in Paradise will air on PBS (the regular TV channel , not some other service)?  I'm hoping it is soon!

We've already been seeing them here in Houston, too.  I think the last one that aired was 11.4.  I'm expecting 11.5 this week.  You might want to check with your local station's website to see if it's listed anytime soon.

1 hour ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

We've already been seeing them here in Houston, too.  I think the last one that aired was 11.4.  I'm expecting 11.5 this week.  You might want to check with your local station's website to see if it's listed anytime soon.

We had 11.5 this past Saturday. 

22 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Yes, I tried that.  Not a mention.  Bummer.

What's your local station? (if you don't mind me asking).  Mine is KUHT and their website is not good, so it's a bit difficult to find stuff sometimes.

29 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

What's your local station? (if you don't mind me asking).  Mine is KUHT and their website is not good, so it's a bit difficult to find stuff sometimes.

I go by azpbs.org

(edited)

Thanks, but I still don't understand their scheduling.  I have looked up every night for the next few weeks on my local channel and all they are showing is season 1.

Edited by treeofdreams
3 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Thanks, but I still don't understand their scheduling.  I have looked up every night for the next few weeks and all they are showing is season 1.

It looks like they are calling EVERY season Season 1, as said above episode Season 1, episode 86 IS Season 11 episode 4. If you read the synopsis it talks about Neville, not Richard.

(edited)
28 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

It looks like they are calling EVERY season Season 1, as said above episode Season 1, episode 86 IS Season 11 episode 4. If you read the synopsis it talks about Neville, not Richard.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me, too.  The synopsis fits season 11.

For example:  This episode

Season 1, Episode 86 of 90

Florence's undercover role takes a dangerous turn when she finds herself in familiar surroundings, amid a murder investigation. In a race against time, can Neville solve the murder?

Matches the description of Season 11 Episode 4 on IMDB

and it's the one we saw here last week. It was labeled by our Houston PBS as Season 11 episode 4, but it wasn't listed as "new" so I just tell my DVR to record all DiP episodes new and old and then I delete the ones I've already seen. It's the only way to get the new ones.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
more info

Well, I will keep an eye on that.  But last Saturday, the first week after season 10 re-runs, the episode description was the beginning of Poole's stay on the island.  So who knows.

I appreciate everyone's help trying to figure this out.  I will just have to watch every week to see what is really on, and hope season 11 shows up one of these days.

• Love 2

It's tricky because this show isn't a Masterpiece show.  Those air at the same time across the country.  For a show like Death In Paradise, it's whenever your local station would like to carry it.  

My parents, who live in a smaller market than I do, got the show before I did.  I had to wait until later in the summer.  I currently have a Britbox subscription so I'll be able to watch it that way at least. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

My local station always airs Father Brown and Death in Paradise on Saturday night.  But I am always checking the tv guide on all programs just in case anything changes.

I think that is the same with mine. I  know we have Midsomer Murders after. 

Season 11 episodes 3 and 4 are up on BritBox. I know many don't have BritBox though so that's not exactly super helpful! I genuinely don't know when my local station airs the show. I've seen older episodes at random but I don't know about the regular schedule pattern. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, msani19 said:

Season 11 episodes 3 and 4 are up on BritBox. I know many don't have BritBox though so that's not exactly super helpful! I genuinely don't know when my local station airs the show. I've seen older episodes at random but I don't know about the regular schedule pattern. 

Thank you! Gonna watch after work today!

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Can we please put a pause on all the locked room murders?  I am SO tired of that trope.

That is their specialty; the series is built around that.  Regular murders are too easy to figure out.  They have to have a DI clever enough to solve them (sadly, the way they are written lately they don't have to have all the clues, just a DI who can pull the solution out of thin air).  If they are running out of ideas, I do not think it would be a horrible idea to change the format a bit and try something new.  They have been on for 11 seasons; we all deserve a break from the regular routine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am so jealous of all of you who are getting the current season.  My local PBS is airing seasons 5/6 with the Irish DI so we are nowhere near getting the new episodes.  I ended up really not liking Humphrey (it started when he initially denied Camille's transfer to France and his love sick ways).  I really don't mind the endless repeats of previous seasons as I enjoy the show so much, but would really like to catch up to the rest of you.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sadtvjunkie said:

When/If Neville goes I really wish they would put a female DI in place. They only had 1 for a episode and she was too quirky. I'm sure there are smart females DIs out there.

Great point! It is about time we get a female DI. 

It would also be nice to have the DI not have feelings for their DS or vice versa. I think that might be why I liked when Jack was DI, he kept it professional and friendly and wasn't off falling in love with his co-worker. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Is a romance on the horizon for Selwyn?

Looks that way, doesn't it? Somehow I don't mind this one. At least she isn't a cop, even if she does work for them. 🙄 I'm glad they've made Selwyn seem less corrupt than he was originally.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Let's call it shifty? Open to --uh-- bribes?

Sorry, still don't know what you're talking about. What bribes? from who? I've watched DiP many, many times and have only come away with the impression that the Commissionaire is a morally upright man, just about as straight as they come. I think the worst thing I can remember him doing is letting Ruby continue as a police officer despite a minor charge on her record (of course that was before they hired Marlon!). I just don't know what you are seeing in his actions?

• Love 3

Oh, maybe poster above was thinking about Dwayne?! definitely open to bribes and a bit shifty while still being a reasonably good cop who always comes down on the right side.

In response to the Commissioner being maybe corrupt: I don't think I ever found him corrupt. He knows all the power people on the island and be part of all the fancy clubs (which did annoy me). As commissioner, his position is pretty political so it implies he would need to mix among many powerful people which could suggest he's open for corruption,  which I don't think he is. His character used to annoy me to no end but I've liked him more the last couple seasons. In the beginning, he would tell the DIs that whoever was being inspected or questioned was "one of Saint Marie's most respected..." almost as if that person shouldn't be brought in. Overall, he seems like a stand up guy who actually cares about the people who work for him. Neville may even be growing on him!

• Love 2