Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/27/2021 at 4:40 AM, Ms Lark said:

Lordy, please don't put Florence and Neville together! He's her boss. So much is wrong with that scenario I can't even count 'em! What happens if it doesn't work out? Yikes! So much better when everyone is just professional (so to speak), does their work, and solves the mysteries.

PBS did not air the show in my area, so I haven't seen it.  Would someone be willing to summarize what happened with Florence/Neville?  I have been hoping that they would not go ahead with this, so I am interested in whatever was shown in this special.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

PBS did not air the show in my area, so I haven't seen it.  Would someone be willing to summarize what happened with Florence/Neville?  I have been hoping that they would not go ahead with this, so I am interested in whatever was shown in this special.

Thanks.

See spoiler

Spoiler

Neville somehow gets a nosebleed at her door. She takes him to the hospital and then says, "oh you were going to tell me something?" He makes up something.

She goes off island for the holidays and then they are facetiming. During the facetime, he does a really nice speech about how he has feelings for her and would like to take her out sometime, but then realizes the facetime has frozen and he thinks she doesn't hear him.

Florence comes back and Neville acts like nothing, and then later Florence tells Catherine that while the Facetime froze, she did hear Neville as her out and she doesn't know how she feels about it. 

End of show. 

I think I hit all the major points of it, but I could be wrong. I watched it last week. 

• Love 4

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care if they put them together as long as they address the work dynamic. I like Florence. I like Neville. A romance is fine. They've always done the DI pining for the sergeant so it's time for something new. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Thanks.

Spoiler

In the Christmas special, Neville tells Catherine that before he got the chance to confess his feelings to Florence (what we saw at the end of series 10), she saw a bug on his forehead, tried to slap it off and gave him a nosebleed in the process. She canceled her date and took him to A&E, but he didn't tell her there either.

During this latest episode, Florence goes off to be with her family for the holiday. On Christmas day, she calls Neville via Zoom and he confesses how he feels and asks her on a date, but the screen freezes, so he doesn't know if she heard him. Well, as many of us will know from using them, video chats can sometimes retain audio, even when the video freezes. So Florence did hear what Neville said, and at the end of the episode she tells Catherine - but not Neville - that she heard him and isn't sure what to say in response. 

I sincerely hope that is a hint from the writers that they are going to have Florence think of a way to let Neville down gently.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

They've always done the DI pining for the sergeant so it's time for something new. 

Well, no. The first DI pined for London.  There was always, I felt, an underlying current that Camille was overly fond of Poole. I don't remember Jack pining for anyone.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care if they put them together as long as they address the work dynamic. I like Florence. I like Neville. A romance is fine. They've always done the DI pining for the sergeant so it's time for something new. 

I don't mind it either and I agree, they have to address certain issues. Why shouldn't he fall for her? She is a lovely, intelligent woman who he gets along with so well. 

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, no. The first DI pined for London.  There was always, I felt, an underlying current that Camille was overly fond of Poole. I don't remember Jack pining for anyone.

I always felt the same about Camille and Poole. 

And no, Jack never pined for anyone. 

I didn't say that every DI pined for every sergeant. The storylines they have done have been the DI pining for the sergeant. It's time to do a new storyline, instead of having Neville pine, why not put them together? If they find a way to address the power dynamic, I'm fine with it. 

I disliked Patrice a lot, and thought is death was too heavy for the show. 

I'd like to see Florence move on and be happy. I also like Neville a whole lot more than I ever liked Jack or Humphrey. It could work. The personal stories of the main characters aren't the focus anyway. It's always murder, investigation, getting no where, Eureka, round 'em up and reveal. I like that. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I didn't say that every DI pined for every sergeant. The storylines they have done have been the DI pining for the sergeant. It's time to do a new storyline, instead of having Neville pine, why not put them together? If they find a way to address the power dynamic, I'm fine with it. 

I disliked Patrice a lot, and thought is death was too heavy for the show. 

I'd like to see Florence move on and be happy. I also like Neville a whole lot more than I ever liked Jack or Humphrey. It could work. The personal stories of the main characters aren't the focus anyway. It's always murder, investigation, getting no where, Eureka, round 'em up and reveal. I like that. 

I think if they had ever DI/Sergeant getting together it would be a mistake. So, yea, why not give it a try? 

I didn't care much for Patrice. I agree, it was just too much. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:52 PM, momo said:

The mystery. The phone call, what wasn't there ... I'm gonna have to set up a murder board to keep track of all the suspects!

So the mystery was this.  

The guy we saw die wasn't the real billionaire heir.  He was the ex-wife's cousin.  And he actually killed himself.  He wasn't murdered.  

40 years ago, the ex and her cousin fell in love but were ostracized so they ran away to Africa, I believe.  She met an heir to a fortune who was young and shy.  He hung out with her and her lover/cousin.  Eventually, she decided to seduce him.  He fell in love with her.  They went to St. Marie when his father died and he inherited.  They married. 

Her lover/cousin showed up too.  She killed the heir and buried him where her cousin eventually killed himself.  That's why she moved the body.  Her lover/cousin took over the identity of the billionaire heir.  It eventually wore on him which led to a divorce. 

Things I found confusing. The heir was approximately 20 when he took over and was killed.  Did no one know him or recognize him?  

And the boy they gave up for adoption was the real heir's son.  I don't know why they gave him up for adoption instead of raising him as if he were theirs.  

19 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I was all about Camille and Poole.  I'm not opposed to Florence and Neville.  I just don't think the buildup was done especially well.  It was 0 to 60.  

• Love 1

And the boy they gave up for adoption was the real heir's son.  I don't know why they gave him up for adoption instead of raising him as if he were theirs.  

I thought Colin Babcok (the London cabbie) wasn't was the the son of the real (dead) heir, not the fake billionaire and his wife's son.

I think I understood this story when I watched it, but now...I'm not so sure-lol

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I was all about Camille and Poole.  I'm not opposed to Florence and Neville.  I just don't think the buildup was done especially well.  It was 0 to 60.  

I felt Humphrey and Camille was a bit sudden (on his part of course). 

• Love 2
Just now, libgirl2 said:

It was very sudden. I'm glad he only told Fidel about his feelings for Camille. I generally liked Humphrey, but it was very messed up that he almost cost her a job because of that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I thought Colin Babcok (the London cabbie) wasn't the the son of the real (dead) heir, not the fake billionaire and his wife's son.

I think I understood this story when I watched it, but now...I'm not so sure-lol

They did a DNA test between Colin and the current dead guy.  The DNA wasn't a match.  That's because he was the child of the real dead billionaire.  The only heir.  The daughter was the daughter of the cousin/lover/fake billionaire.  

And that's why he inherited everything at the end.  

14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It was.  It was an attempt to recreate what they couldn't finish with Poole because of Ben Miller leaving,  It was completely ridiculous. 

• Love 3

It was.  It was an attempt to recreate what they couldn't finish with Poole because of Ben Miller leaving,  It was completely ridiculous. 

Exactly!

I miss Camille. She had such a wonderful spirit, and she basically had chemistry with everyone.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

This situation with Florence and Neville is so out of touch with today's consciousness.  A woman in business, a job, or a profession should never be put in this situation where her boss expresses a romantic interest in her.

Too many women have gotten fired because they turned down the boss's advances.  Too many women have accepted the advances because they were afraid of being fired.

If they get into a relationship with their boss, what happens if the relationship ends?  It may just be working together that is uncomfortable, or she may get fired, depending on how things end.  If she turns him down and they do not get into the relationship, there is this awkwardness hanging over their working relationship.

And what happens with co-workers if the woman and the boss are in a relationship?  How do they feel about?  Do they look at her and think, she just got promoted because of the relationship, and does not really deserve it?  Is she getting benefits from the relationship at the expense of the co-workers?

This is just all so wrong.  I expect the show would just gloss over it all and not address this, but I am really hoping they do not go there, and keep focusing on the murder stories and let Neville find someone else to romance.  Maybe a murder suspect?  That could be a possible storyline.

• Love 6
On 12/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, Door County Cherry said:

She killed the heir and buried him where her cousin eventually killed himself.  That's why she moved the body. 

THAT'S what I wanted to know.  Thanks :-)

On 12/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, treeofdreams said:

This situation with Florence and Neville is so out of touch with today's consciousness.  A woman in business, a job, or a profession should never be put in this situation where her boss expresses a romantic interest in her.

Too many women have gotten fired because they turned down the boss's advances.  Too many women have accepted the advances because they were afraid of being fired.

If they get into a relationship with their boss, what happens if the relationship ends?  It may just be working together that is uncomfortable, or she may get fired, depending on how things end.  If she turns him down and they do not get into the relationship, there is this awkwardness hanging over their working relationship.

And what happens with co-workers if the woman and the boss are in a relationship?  How do they feel about?  Do they look at her and think, she just got promoted because of the relationship, and does not really deserve it?  Is she getting benefits from the relationship at the expense of the co-workers?

This is just all so wrong.  I expect the show would just gloss over it all and not address this, but I am really hoping they do not go there, and keep focusing on the murder stories and let Neville find someone else to romance.  Maybe a murder suspect?  That could be a possible storyline.

While I agree,  I don't think Neville would fire her. He really does like her a lot. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

While I agree,  I don't think Neville would fire her. He really does like her a lot. 

No, Neville would not fire her; I was speaking in general from many women's experience.  But it could make things awkward for Neville and Florence (and even the others) working together.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:
On 12/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, treeofdreams said:

Expand  

Expand  

I think you're not taking into account that this program cannot be considered realistic at all. To hold them to the 'standard's of today's consciousness' is asking a little much of a show that is basically a fantasy. They solve 'impossible' variations on 'locked room' type mysteries with a minimum of forensic and/or modern police procedures on a beautiful island with an over-abundance of murders. The British D.I. is overseen by a French (?) Commissionaire. The D. S. wears short shorts. They hired an ex-con (after Ruby almost lost her job because she was arrested once) They show is not realistic in any real way. They've done the D. S. falling for the D.I (Camille/Richard) the D.I. falling for the D.S (Humphrey/Camille) now they are testing out them actually getting together. There won't be any real problems with co-workers because the whole set-up isn't realistic to begin with. If this was a show that wove stories around world events or newsworthy articles it would be one thing, but it's not, it's just a fluffy little mystery show where you can enjoy pretty scenery and and try to figure out the puzzle of the week with nice, if sometimes quirky, people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I think you're not taking into account that this program cannot be considered realistic at all. To hold them to the 'standard's of today's consciousness' is asking a little much of a show that is basically a fantasy. They solve 'impossible' variations on 'locked room' type mysteries with a minimum of forensic and/or modern police procedures on a beautiful island with an over-abundance of murders. The British D.I. is overseen by a French (?) Commissionaire. The D. S. wears short shorts. They hired an ex-con (after Ruby almost lost her job because she was arrested once) They show is not realistic in any real way. They've done the D. S. falling for the D.I (Camille/Richard) the D.I. falling for the D.S (Humphrey/Camille) now they are testing out them actually getting together. There won't be any real problems with co-workers because the whole set-up isn't realistic to begin with. If this was a show that wove stories around world events or newsworthy articles it would be one thing, but it's not, it's just a fluffy little mystery show where you can enjoy pretty scenery and and try to figure out the puzzle of the week with nice, if sometimes quirky, people.

Good point.  I know I give entirely too much thought to TV shows and sometimes take them too seriously when I really should just sit back and enjoy them for what they are.

But this particular issue happens to be rather a hot button for me.  I entered the business world in the 60s when sexual harassment, and even sexual assault, were just a fact of life and something women were supposed to put up with.  I have watched the (very slow) progress that has been made in this area, and even witnessed it firsthand.  So I do get triggered on the subject.

My apologies.  Carry on.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 7

I know asking for realism in this show is a lot, but  I don't think a random police officer can just declare a long lost son the heir to a fortune in this situation.

There would be an ARMY of lawyers involved since this mess goes back the 40 years or whatever.

But then I'm also on the anti-DI/DS relationship bad wagon 100% since the HR problems alone (LOL - like they even have HR codes and procedures) should stop it, let alone that the two of them have NO chemistry what so ever....but of course we can't have a man and woman within a few feet of each other without them having to date because of it.

Another complaint - this show cannot sustain a story that lasts as long as this episode. It is best when it's the normal 40 some minutes.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

Another complaint - this show cannot sustain a story that lasts as long as this episode. It is best when it's the normal 40 some minutes.

I suppose that's why they are trying to fluff it out with the relationship storyline.

58 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

the two of them have NO chemistry what so ever

Sadly true...

59 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

But then I'm also on the anti-DI/DS relationship bad wagon 100% since the HR problems alone (LOL - like they even have HR codes and procedures) should stop it

You'd think.  But if they can put felons on the force they must be pretty lax about a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

I know asking for realism in this show is a lot

Which pretty much sums it all up.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

But then I'm also on the anti-DI/DS relationship bad wagon 100% since the HR problems alone (LOL - like they even have HR codes and procedures) should stop it

You'd think.  But if they can put felons on the force they must be pretty lax about a lot of things.

Sort of a semi-serious question, on New Tricks, which is only slightly more realistic maybe, Sasha, the woman brought in to replace Sondra, was married to a fellow officer (at least in the first episode), would that be something totally unrealistic? are there cops married to each other?

I know asking for realism in this show is a lot, but  I don't think a random police officer can just declare a long lost son the heir to a fortune in this situation.

There would be an ARMY of lawyers involved since this mess goes back the 40 years or whatever.

But then I'm also on the anti-DI/DS relationship bad wagon 100% since the HR problems alone (LOL - like they even have HR codes and procedures) should stop it, let alone that the two of them have NO chemistry what so ever....but of course we can't have a man and woman within a few feet of each other without them having to date because of it.

Not that this show is realistic, but Neville informed the long lost son, didn't declare him. My impression, and it's been weeks since I watched, was that the lawyers were sorting it out, but that they agreed the son was the son.

In these shows, the legal process always gets short shrift. If I let that bother me, I'd stop watching. The police never round up the suspects and then talk through the solution before doing a reveal, but that's the fun of the show.

I've mentioned before that I don't care if they put Neville and Florence together. It's not going to bother me even a little and I think the actors really enjoy their scenes together. They already had the Commissioner's niece being one of his underlings. 

like that this show just goes, "to hell with realism, the 18th billionaire on this small island is going to die when her exhusband aligns mirrors on palm trees and then shines a red light pointer to reflect off all of those mirrors to eventually melt an ice cube that releases an anvil that smashes her Wiley Coyote style." And the DI solves it from the puddle of water and a flash of light in the jungle. This show is fun. Just so much fun. And I don't want it to be anything more. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Sort of a semi-serious question, on New Tricks, which is only slightly more realistic maybe, Sasha, the woman brought in to replace Sondra, was married to a fellow officer (at least in the first episode), would that be something totally unrealistic? are there cops married to each other?

Yes they were married, but they weren't in the same chain of command as far as I can tell.

Workplace relationships are not impossible, but a direct supervisor/subordinate situation is the real crux of the problem here. In the real world it would have to be something directly addressed by the organization. It just would leave the company and the people in too much of a risky situation to not formally deal with it. I've not personally been involved in one, so I don't know all the ins and outs, but you can't just "hope for the best".

Now considering the entire St Honore police force consists of only 5 people it isn't like they can be in different departments or anything.

That's where I have to let it go - like I said, one can't hope for a modicum of realism in this show (or any show, really).

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Not that this show is realistic, but Neville informed the long lost son, didn't declare him. My impression, and it's been weeks since I watched, was that the lawyers were sorting it out, but that they agreed the son was the son.

Believe me, I don't watch for realism!

However, to speak to this point, Neville pretty much said this is all yours (speaking of the house, grounds, etc.) He made no mention of lawyers or anything like that, just that they retested the DNA, you're the son of the real guy, this is all yours!

This is where a throwaway line like "Once the lawyers clear everything up, this should be all yours." Clearly not realistic in any way (I'm sure in real life the legal battle would take years) but at least acknowledge that a police officer can't make that claim on his own!

Just now, treeofdreams said:

Company policies aside, it is just not smart to get into a relationship like this, especially for the subordinate.  What happens if/when the relationship breaks up?  The subordinate is most at risk from the possible consequences.

Exactly.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Florence left again?  Ugh.  Bringing her back was so pointless.  I liked the person she replaced too.

And she probably would have been a better choice to build a relationship with because they actually had a year where there was no romantic hints at all.

I haven't seen season 11 yet, but I did wonder if Florence was leaving again since they brought in the new DS. That said, I'm disappointed that Florence has been written out again, as I really like Josephine Jobert.

I might not be able to continue watching because this Neville is driving me crazy. I dislike his character so so much. He is just terrible, so annoying, why on earth are they keeping him, and why on earth would he volunteer to stay?! He is just the worst!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SherriAnt said:

I might not be able to continue watching because this Neville is driving me crazy. I dislike his character so so much. He is just terrible, so annoying, why on earth are they keeping him, and why on earth would he volunteer to stay?! He is just the worst!

I felt that same way about Jack, but powered through. I actually like Neville second best of all the DIs. It goes Poole, Neville, Humphrey, Jack. (Although on any given day, if Humphrey looked like an unmade bed, he might fall to the bottom.) I would just fastforward through Jack’s “emotional” scenes and anything with his daughter. Ugh. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I haven't seen season 11 yet, but I did wonder if Florence was leaving again since they brought in the new DS. That said, I'm disappointed that Florence has been written out again, as I really like Josephine Jobert.

I like her and I hope she comes back. 

• Love 2

I got tired of waiting for my local PBS stations to air the new season of Death In Paradise (and Father Brown) for that matter so I ordered them from Amazon.uk.  I was sorry to see Florence leave as well, but I don't see how they could continue with her knowing how Neville felt about her.  It was too awkward.  What I was wondering was there any word on Josephine Jobert and why she looked like she gained weight?  She looked much heavier, especially in her face.  Was she pregnant?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Linda956 said:

I was sorry to see Florence leave as well, but I don't see how they could continue with her knowing how Neville felt about her.  It was too awkward.

I was wondering how they would resolve that situation.  I think having her leave is the best solution.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2022 at 5:00 PM, Linda956 said:

I was sorry to see Florence leave as well, but I don't see how they could continue with her knowing how Neville felt about her.  It was too awkward. 

Have not seen s11 (DMV gets it on WETA UK starting tomorrow 5/20 at 9), but I'm happy to be spoilered about this. For one thing, he's her boss. WTF? For another, I just can't imagine Florence, or anyone for that matter, wanting to get with Neville! He's such a bundle of neuroses and other idiosyncrasies it renders him quite unattractive. Glad to know it ain't happening.

Edited by Ms Lark
Because I'm an idiot!
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Have not seen s11 (DMV gets it on WETA UK starting tomorrow 5/20 at 9), but I'm happy to be spoilered about this. For one thing, he's her boss. WTF? For another, I just can't imagine Florence, or anyone for that matter, wanting to get with Neville! He's such a bundle of neuroses and other idiosyncrasies it renders him quite unattractive. Glad to know it ain't happening.

Someone had married Humphrey, who looked like a pile of dirty laundry. 

I find Neville much more charming, and as someone who a ton of allergies, I like to think they don't make me that unappealing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I find Neville much more charming, and as someone who a ton of allergies, I like to think they don't make me that unappealing. 

Neville doesn't just have allergies, he's exceedingly self-absorbed among other things. You can have him. Chacun à son goût.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I even mentioned allergies nor did I say anything about anyone who is not a fictional character on a TV show.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Neville doesn't just have allergies, he's exceedingly self-absorbed among other things.

Poole, bless him, was more self-absorbed.  I've found Neville to be quite empathetic.  

My only issue with Florence leaving is there was no point in bringing her back.  This makes the third female lead in Neville's time there.  And I liked Madeleine.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

My only issue with Florence leaving is there was no point in bringing her back.  This makes the third female lead in Neville's time there.  And I liked Madeleine. 

I agree there was no reason to have her back. Did it help Neville grow in some way? I don't know. I do know I hated every single minute of Neville having feelings for Florence, so I'm glad that we don't need to deal with it. I barely remember Madeline, she didn't bother but she also wasn't on long enough for me to have any position on her.

• Love 3