Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Neville/Florence thing is just bad writing.  I have seen this in other shows, where there is no chemistry between two characters, but another character tells one of them that there is.

It's a lazy shortcut, and just doesn't work.  You have to SHOW the chemistry through the writing and the acting.  You can't just tell the viewer that there is chemistry when it is obvious that there is not.

What we have seen is Neville and Florence becoming friends and co-workers.  Neville gives  Florence the puppy dog look sometimes, but there seems to be no notice or interest on her part.  Anyway, she is still grieving for Patrice.

Let it go, writers.  Let Neville have his crush, but don't force what isn't happening.  If you do insist on following that path, at least write it so it is believable.

Edited to add:  I wish they wouldn.t go there, though.  Neville is Florence's superior officer, and it would be highly inappropriate.  And it is just creepy that she has to call him "Sir".

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The easiest thing for them to do would be to introduce a new character to be Neville's love interest.  Also a new love interest for Florence.  But they won't do that.

Yes, for Neville; let Florence grieve for a while.

The most chemistry I see in this series is between Catherine and the Commissioner.  Love them both!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Yes, for Neville; let Florence grieve for a while.

The most chemistry I see in this series is between Catherine and the Commissioner.  Love them both!

I agree, let Florence grieve then give her a love interest. 

I swear, I think  I've seen some chemistry in the past between Catherine and the Commissioner.  😊

• Love 5
On 9/19/2021 at 1:56 PM, treeofdreams said:

The Neville/Florence thing is just bad writing.  I have seen this in other shows, where there is no chemistry between two characters, but another character tells one of them that there is.

It's a lazy shortcut, and just doesn't work.  You have to SHOW the chemistry through the writing and the acting.  You can't just tell the viewer that there is chemistry when it is obvious that there is not.

I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post! I really enjoy when writers discover that certain characters play off each other so well that there's no way they can't put them together. That's what I'd prefer to see and I don't see that here at all. There's no chemistry whatsoever. They are clearly colleagues, she is polite and kind because they work together. I don't think she's a good enough actress to convince me that she had secret hidden feelings for him, lol! Nope. 

I'm on record (with my friends at least!) at HATING when tv shows insist on pairing up the male/ female leads. It's as you said, just LAZY! Florence is doing her job, trying to move on from a deep loss, and trying to navigate a new path for herself. It's nice that Catherine thinks they would be good together, but so what!

He's her boss and it is creepy, I'm hoping they decide against going in that direction. Give him a non-work love interest, if they are determined to include romance. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I think it would be fun if they could find him an equally nerdy woman, who has her own quirks.

I like that! Especially if she's someone who only says half her thought before he jumps in with the other half and then she does the same with him. Like they fill in each other's thoughts because they are both brilliant thinkers. This happening, all while leaving the team baffled at what they are witnessing! Now in my imagining, she's also a DI, so maybe she's there for a big case? They've done it before so it's not a wild idea! Clearly not what they will do but I'm intrigued with this idea now!  DIP writers, if you are poking around!

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I like that! Especially if she's someone who only says half her thought before he jumps in with the other half and then she does the same with him. Like they fill in each other's thoughts because they are both brilliant thinkers. This happening, all while leaving the team baffled at what they are witnessing!

Yes, perfect!  That would be so much more interesting!

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's asking for an awful lot of brilliance from the writers. That double episode with the A.S. initials rabbit hole was beyond ridiculous.

Lolol...you make a great point, . That episode was ridiculous.

• Love 1

Sadly, I think the writing is not as good this season.  Perhaps after - what is it, 10 seasons? - they just run out of ideas.  Even the Neville/Florence storyline is a retread of Goodman/Camille.

They should come here and hang out.  We could come up with a lot of better stuff!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I still do not see a good outcome to Neville telling Florence how he feels.  If he does, there are two options:  Either she returns his feelings and they get together, which is not good because of their respective positions, or she tells him she does not, which is not good because things will be awkward between them as they still have to work together.  The team as a whole has worked so well together up to this point, that would be very jarring.

They made a point of having Florence and Neville cavorting together in the ocean, which was a chance to show Florence in a bikini and to show us Neville's surprisingly but not very believable buff body.

So where do they go from here?

(Side note: Catherine needs to butt out and stop telling Neville to go for it.)

• Love 4
On 9/26/2021 at 3:48 PM, treeofdreams said:

I still do not see a good outcome to Neville telling Florence how he feels. 

The only thing that might work for me is if Neville reveals his feelings, but eventually realizes that he confused close friendship with romantic love. Then he and Florence put that behind them and continue being colleagues/friends. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

The only thing that might work for me is if Neville reveals his feelings, but eventually realizes that he confused close friendship with romantic love. Then he and Florence put that behind them and continue being colleagues/friends. 

That might work for me also.  If he has never had a serious relationship (and I doubt that he has), he might easily confuse the two.  And if his nerdy soulmate showed up, he would recognize that his feelings for Florence weren't the real thing.

I keep noticing how they are transforming him, though.  His quirks are disappearing, he has shown off his buff body, and could, with stunningly good writing and acting, become someone Florence might be interested in.  But there is still the fact that he is her superior officer, and I don't see how they could handwave that away.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

That might work for me also.  If he has never had a serious relationship (and I doubt that he has), he might easily confuse the two.  And if his nerdy soulmate showed up, he would recognize that his feelings for Florence weren't the real thing.

I keep noticing how they are transforming him, though.  His quirks are disappearing, he has shown off his buff body, and could, with stunningly good writing, become someone Florence might be interested in.  But there is still the fact that he is her superior officer, and I don't see how they could handwave that away.

Neville mentioned early on that he had dated a girl for four years.

I can’t remember the story he told, but it was something like he’d accidentally injured her somehow, and I think it was Florence who made a joke about the woman being angry with him, and he replied, “We dated for four years.” No mention at all of how or why they broke up. 

• Love 1

Relationships can drag on long after they have gone bad, for many reasons, so four years doesn't necessarily mean too much.  Considering how Neville was when he arrived on the island, I can imagine he was a challenging relationship partner.  Now that he is magically transforming into another person, he has a better chance for a good relationship.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Relationships can drag on long after they have gone bad, for many reasons, so four years doesn't necessarily mean too much.  Considering how Neville was when he arrived on the island, I can imagine he was a challenging relationship partner.  Now that he is magically transforming into another person, he has a better chance for a good relationship.

Neville’s issues are exacerbated by the unfamiliar environment. Like most allergy sufferers, he’d likely adapted and had appropriate coping mechanisms back in the UK. 

But the fish out of water/difficult personality thing is part of the DIs. Richard Poole called to nag his neighbors in the UK about moving his (Poole’s) trash cans off the street and it was clear the neighbor was super annoyed. It’s just how all the DIs roll. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Neville’s issues are exacerbated by the unfamiliar environment. Like most allergy sufferers, he’d likely adapted and had appropriate coping mechanisms back in the UK. 

But the fish out of water/difficult personality thing is part of the DIs. Richard Poole called to nag his neighbors in the UK about moving his (Poole’s) trash cans off the street and it was clear the neighbor was super annoyed. It’s just how all the DIs roll. 

Not so. Jack was very easygoing. Humphrey's main problem was his crumbling marriage but was friendly and energetic.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Not so. Jack was very easygoing. Humphrey's main problem was his crumbling marriage but was friendly and energetic.

Humphrey loved trying to fit into island life - he bought a boat, wore the shirts, tried the food.  Even fell in love with an island woman!  He did bumble around a bit, but he seemed to really enjoy living there, and only left it because he moved back to London because he was in love.

• Love 3

Well, that was a disappointing finale.

I had expected that Neville/Florence would be left as a cliffhanger, so no biggie there.  But that last scene between them was so badly written, and really highlighted how unsuitable a match it would be.  Neville came off looking like an idiot.

But I was really disappointed with all the characters in the outcome of the fight scene.  JP lied in taking the blame, Neville and Florence lied in supporting his lie, Marlon did not own up to his own actions, and the commissioner not only knew they all lied but told JP he was proud of him for what he did.  These are the law enforcement officers on the island?  Marlon is a loose cannon, and should have faced the consequence of his actions, not continued on as a trainee.

• Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, bobalina said:

If I had to spend ten minutes with the walking slob that was Humphrey, I’d have run screaming. He might not have been traditionally difficult, but he was a mess. Jack was all right.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Well, that was a disappointing finale.

I had expected that Neville/Florence would be left as a cliffhanger, so no biggie there.  But that last scene between them was so badly written, and really highlighted how unsuitable a match it would be.  Neville came off looking like an idiot.

But I was really disappointed with all the characters in the outcome of the fight scene.  JP lied in taking the blame, Neville and Florence lied in supporting his lie, Marlon did not own up to his own actions, and the commissioner not only knew they all lied but told JP he was proud of him for what he did.  These are the law enforcement officers on the island?  Marlon is a loose cannon, and should have faced the consequence of his actions, not continued on as a trainee.

I didn't understand why the other guy wasn't charged with assaulting an officer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't understand why the other guy wasn't charged with assaulting an officer.

Yes, that too.  I guess they just do things differently in Saint Marie.  I also didn't understand how Marlon could be admitted to the police force.  He should never have been there in the first place.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 1:44 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw the one with Neville in the hospital again tonight.  I went to YouTube to look up Tiny Winey.  Lots of comments about how others looked it up because of DiP.  I may have to buy the mp3. LOL.

My family is from Jamaica and that is our song! I was singing and winding away when it was playing on the show (play Tiney Winey in front of any group of Jamaicans and we’ll do the same thing). Byron Lee was a legend in the Caribbean. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There's a promotional photo and press release/synopsis up for the Christmas special! Spoiler.tv link

Not sure if the synopsis is a spoiler or not, so I'll put it in spoiler code to be safe!

Spoiler

The first ever feature length Christmas special of BBC One’s Death In Paradise, bringing a close to its series ten celebrations, will air this festive season. The episode not only promises a ray of Caribbean sunshine this Christmas time, but also boasts a wealth of guest stars alongside the familiar faces of Saint Marie.
Returning to join the regular cast (Ralf Little, Joséphine Jobert, Tahj Miles, Don Warrington and Elizabeth Bourgine) for the celebratory episode is Danny John-Jules as charismatic Office Dwayne Myers. Completing this gift of a guest line-up is Mathew Baynton (Ghosts), Juliet Stevenson (Riviera), Stanley Townsend (Informer), Jocelyn Jee Esien (Jack & The Beanstalk: After Ever After), Anthony Calf (Poldark), Tessa Bonham Jones (The Trial Of Christine Keeler), Elizabeth Tan (Emily in Paris) and Tariq Jordan (Law and Order: UK).
It’s Christmas time on Saint Marie and Neville is preparing to head to Manchester to spend the holiday with his family. But his plans are abruptly changed when a billionaire shipping magnate dies in mysterious circumstances.
Things only get stranger when a minicab driver in London receives a Christmas card with an ominous message inside that turns the entire case on its head. For Neville and the team, will this be a case they can crack together?
Following the series ten cliff-hanger that left everybody swinging in suspense, Florence is jetting off for Christmas, leaving the team a member down. So, the Commissioner decides to enlist the help of retired officer, Dwayne Myers (Danny John-Jules). Alongside Marlon, Dwayne employs his unique style of policing to help investigate the case. Left to their own devices, the pair struggle on the best plan of action for apprehending a suspect. As rain falls, tensions rise - but as Christmas Day approaches, will they realise they’re more like one another than they originally thought?

Edited by Maren
Corrected wording
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 5/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, sadtvjunkie said:

Anybody else hate what they did to the Opening theme music? I had liked the old one so much I use it as a ringtone on my phone. The new one, meh. I don't like the slower version. We called it murder music.

Chiming in very late, but I hate it! I used to get up and dance every time the theme came on; when this version first started playing, I couldn't figure out where the fun went. Now when it comes on, I'm just disappointed and angry.

• Love 4

I imagine nothing is going to happen between Florence and Neville. To do so would usurp the delicate balance of this mystery show. Having a relationship between two investigators, with that power imbalance would be horrible. I feel that Neville's crush on Florence is him falling in love with the island. Hopefully they quietly put that storyline away for this upcoming season.

At least it isn't as cringeworthy as when Humphrey suddenly developed feelings for Camille. Feelings so intense that he deliberately blocked her transfer to Paris I think it was. I know he eventually changed his mind and approved the transfer, but the fact that he did that in the first place was just horrible imo.

I feel that the best episodes on this show, like most mystery shows that aren't adapted from a novel, were from the first couple of seasons. That's when the writers have their best ideas. The seasons after that is just the writers reusing ideas.

• Love 4

Death in Paradise Christmas Special 2021 Australian Premiere Mon Dec.  27, 2021 at 8.30pm on BBC First.

Death-in-Paradise-Christmas-Special-2021

A wealthy shipping magnate is found dead at a Christmas party. Things get stranger when a man in London receives a mysterious Christmas card connected to the victim’s death.    95 minutes.

• Love 1

Lordy, please don't put Florence and Neville together! He's her boss. So much is wrong with that scenario I can't even count 'em! What happens if it doesn't work out? Yikes! So much better when everyone is just professional (so to speak), does their work, and solves the mysteries.

It was good to see Dwayne again, but I can't believe the way that little prior felon (I can't believe he's on the force, either.) talked to him and bossed him around. Dwayne was really OOC for those interactions. He outranks that little rookie by a mile!

I dunno about this show anymore.

• Love 1

Watched on Britbox

I had been excited this since hearing Dwane would be part of it. Dwayne seemed almost cartoonish and over the top. Like he couldn't settle his energy or something. I’ll pretend that it’s because he hasn’t worked cases lately and he’s a little rusty, which he alluded to. I still don’t care for Marlon, but in his interactions with Dwayne, maybe they are trying to show that he’s growing and taking his job more seriously. Maybe.

Neville and Florence???? Come on, it's the most unoriginal idea of all time and beyond stupid! Besides him being her superior officer, would that even be allowed? Everyone else has echoed my thoughts on this plot point already. Catherine needs to leave this alone! I find it astonishing that there are no other women (or men) for them to date other than the people they work with. It’s so annoying to me that I'm sure they will go ahead with it!

Ugh, the woman who played the new wife could NOT hold her so-called “American” accent. I had no idea if that was what she was going for, but it was terrible and super distracting.

The case was fine I guess, but I mostly figured out who the killer was pretty early on, the twist was an interesting though.

The show may be losing steam,  it's been on forever, so not too surprising. 

Edited by msani19
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I just watched too.  Is the complicated thing the mystery or what happened with Florence?

The mystery. The phone call, what wasn't there ... I'm gonna have to set up a murder board to keep track of all the suspects!

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Christmas special. 

Lovely to see Dwayne again. I liked his rapport with Marlon. Also nice to get a mention of JP. I miss him. 

I also liked seeing the Commissioner being more involved in a case. 

The Christmas lunch was very sweet. That lobster looked good!

A big NOPE to Neville and Florence. I sincerely hope Florence puts the kibosh on that. 

• Love 3