Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was watching an older one last night with DI Humphrey, but fell asleep before the big reveal of the murderer.  It was about the murder of the vulcanologist.  Can anyone enlighten me as to how he was murdered?  

On 6/26/2021 at 7:17 AM, laredhead said:

I was watching an older one last night with DI Humphrey, but fell asleep before the big reveal of the murderer.  It was about the murder of the vulcanologist.  Can anyone enlighten me as to how he was murdered?  

If I am remembering the right episode... they were all in on it? I think? one of them held the door open which is why that part of the alibi fell apart and they took the body up while it was light? so that's why they forgot the flashlight would have been needed? Sorry, I should be surer than I am, I've seen it many times and the last time not more than a few months ago as my daughter and I just finished a re-watch.

• Love 2

Exactly right, @dgpolo.  They all had various motives (brother had drug problem and he only gave brother a small allowance and brother owed baddies, sexy collegue wanted to publish, protegee (I can't remember.).  Also, I think there was something about the mayor meeting him in the morning wanted to build at the base of the volcano.  They arrested the mayor, who was not part of the murder, for something else.  Sorry, now I can't remember, and I just watched on Acorn a couple of weeks ago!

My local PBS station has started reshowing season 1 (they just showed episode 1).  I really like all of the season I have seen (again, my local PBS is only up to season 5 [sigh]), although it seems like they struggle to develop the characteristics of some of the DIs that lead to the "awkwardness" of the character.  However, DI Poole (?) seems most natural in terms of awkwardness as he just doesn't fit in with the Caribbean vibe (nor does he try) whereas the other DIs I've seen at least try to adapt.

• Love 3

I just found an early Kris Marshall cop show and his character is quite similar to Humphrey - walking around with shirt partially untucked. Such a schlub. I wonder if he decides to do that because the writers can't flesh out a schlub properly.

• Love 1

Seacliffsal, the series is being rebroadcast in my area as well, and I just watched the first 3 last night.  Cannot believe it's been 10 years since the first show aired, but that's long enough ago that I have forgotten the plots and who the murderer is.  It's like a brand new series!  I had totally forgotten about Fidel, and I was laughing out loud at a couple of DI Poole's snarky remarks about the French.   

• Love 5

Since it's all one topic:  New British version of Professor T series with Ben Miller (DI Richard Poole)  premiering on PBS (YMMV) Sunday 7/11. A different fish out of water:

"Professor Jasper Tempest is obsessed with cleanliness, structure and order. But his genius for solving crimes means he constantly has to get his hands dirty, helping the police to crack their most difficult cases. Professor T is based on the hit Belgian series of the same name."

Our PBS channels have been running the original Belgian Professor T episodes for a while. Should be interesting.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

New British version of Professor T series with Ben Miller (DI Richard Poole)  premiering on PBS (YMMV) Sunday 7/11. A different fish out of water:

I didn't realize that was already done.  

I went ahead and created a thread for it. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

New British version of Professor T series with Ben Miller (DI Richard Poole)  premiering on PBS (YMMV) Sunday 7/11. A different fish out of water:

My TV Guide shows it airing at 9:00 on 7/11 on PBS in Arizona.

(edited)

I watched it for about 20 minutes before switching over to something else.  I found it dreary and the Poole character unappealing.

What I like best (aside from the mysteries) about Death in Paradise are about the atmosphere.  I love the tropical setting, the colors, the music, the brightness, the people.

I also love Rosemary & Thyme - the gardens, the color, the flowers, the theme music.  I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries for the time setting, the costumes, Miss Fisher herself of course.

There are too many mystery series that are too dreary for me to enjoy.  I need visual beauty, and main characters I can find interesting and love.  I hope Death in Paradise keeps going on for a quite while.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I watched it for about 20 minutes before switching over to something else.  I found it dreary and the Poole character unappealing.

What I like best (aside from the mysteries aside) about Death in Paradise are about the atmosphere.  I love the tropical setting, the colors, the music, the brightness, the people.

I also love Rosemary & Thyme - the gardens, the color, the flowers, the theme music.  I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries for the time setting, the costumes, Miss Fisher herself of course.

There are too many mystery series that are too dreary for me to enjoy.  I need visual beauty, and main characters I can find interesting and love.  I hope Death in Paradise keeps going on for a quite while.

I am a Midsomer Murders fan, but know what you mean. So many shows go for "atmospheric" and end up "dreary."

After watching an episode of DiP, I want a fruity cocktail and a soft breeze. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am a Midsomer Murders fan, but know what you mean. So many shows go for "atmospheric" and end up "dreary."

After watching an episode of DiP, I want a fruity cocktail and a soft breeze. 

I enjoy Shakespeare and Hathaway because it is fun and I love the whole setting. 

• Love 8

Death In Paradise - Danny John-Jules to Return for Christmas Special

death-in-paradise-danny-johnjules-to-ret

1) Death In Paradise is having a Caribbean Christmas Special 

2) The special will be a feature length 90 minutes long

3) The special will include the cold and dreary city of London as well as the bright and sunny island of Saint Marie

4) Danny John-Jules will return as Officer Dwayne Myers

As Florence (Joséphine Jobert) leaves the island to spend Christmas with her family, the team welcome Dwayne (Danny John-Jules) with open arms to help solve a murder case. Dwayne comes to realise he’s not only met Officer Marlon Pryce (Tahj Miles) before, but he once arrested him! How will the team of old and new faces come together to unravel this murderous crime?

Meanwhile, after vexed fans were left hanging in suspense after the cliff-hanger ending of series ten earlier this year, will they finally discover whether Neville told Florence about his feelings for her? Viewers have watched Neville and Florence’s relationship develop over the course of series ten and all will be revealed in the Christmas special with more surprises to come in series eleven.

The regular cast contains Ralf Little, Joséphine Jobert, Tahj Miles, Don Warrington and Elizabeth Bourgine.

Special Guests include Mathew Baynton (Ghosts), Juliet Stevenson (Riviera), Stanley Townsend (Informer), Jocelyn Jee Esien (Jack & The Beanstalk: After Ever After), Anthony Calf (Poldark), Tessa Bonham Jones (The Trial of Christine Keeler), Elizabeth Tan (Emily in Paris) and Tariq Jordan (Law and Order: UK).

The Death In Paradise Christmas Special will air some time in December.

Death In Paradise series eleven will air in January 2022 and series twelve has already been commissioned.

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Death In Paradise - Danny John-Jules to Return for Christmas Special

death-in-paradise-danny-johnjules-to-ret

1) Death In Paradise is having a Caribbean Christmas Special 

2) The special will be a feature length 90 minutes long

3) The special will include the cold and dreary city of London as well as the bright and sunny island of Saint Marie

4) Danny John-Jules will return as Officer Dwayne Myers

As Florence (Joséphine Jobert) leaves the island to spend Christmas with her family, the team welcome Dwayne (Danny John-Jules) with open arms to help solve a murder case. Dwayne comes to realise he’s not only met Officer Marlon Pryce (Tahj Miles) before, but he once arrested him! How will the team of old and new faces come together to unravel this murderous crime?

Meanwhile, after vexed fans were left hanging in suspense after the cliff-hanger ending of series ten earlier this year, will they finally discover whether Neville told Florence about his feelings for her? Viewers have watched Neville and Florence’s relationship develop over the course of series ten and all will be revealed in the Christmas special with more surprises to come in series eleven.

The regular cast contains Ralf Little, Joséphine Jobert, Tahj Miles, Don Warrington and Elizabeth Bourgine.

Special Guests include Mathew Baynton (Ghosts), Juliet Stevenson (Riviera), Stanley Townsend (Informer), Jocelyn Jee Esien (Jack & The Beanstalk: After Ever After), Anthony Calf (Poldark), Tessa Bonham Jones (The Trial of Christine Keeler), Elizabeth Tan (Emily in Paris) and Tariq Jordan (Law and Order: UK).

The Death In Paradise Christmas Special will air some time in December.

Death In Paradise series eleven will air in January 2022 and series twelve has already been commissioned.

YAY!! I can't wait! 

• Love 7

My PBS station just howed the one where the guy thinks he killed his best friend and some weasel guy, Mr. Vincent, was a suspect. Y'know - the one where his teasing of Marlon set him off, Marlon attacked, and JP took the blame.

I don't understand why Vincent wasn't charged with assaulting a police officer. He was the one who started the physical slapping.  Oh, yeah, wouldn't have been as dramatic. But, still...Vincent shouldn't have gotten away with that.

• Love 4

So the newest season finally aired on PBS in the US...

Am I the only one who felt the episode fell flat?  Too much cast confusion for one thing.  And I am not enjoying the way Neville is being portrayed like a complete doofus.  Sick house syndrome, cat allergy, fish and chips habit, reaction to patchouli, burning his house down...how about sticking to just one thing per episode?

The murder itself seemed pushed to the background.  They could have done a lot more with that, but too much time was taken up with the other stuff.  I hope they pull it together in future episodes.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just started watching this show. Started with series 10 and now going back to watch from the beginning. I'm still on series 1, and I have a question: will Poole ever stop wearing that suit?

So far, I like Camille and Fidel.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I just started watching this show. Started with series 10 and now going back to watch from the beginning. I'm still on series 1, and I have a question: will Poole ever stop wearing that suit?

No

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

So far, I like Camille and Fidel.

He even wears it in his new show Professor T.

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

lol, nope! He always wears, what seems like a wool suit, in the CARIBBEAN, while complaining about it being so hot all the time and insisting on drinking his hot tea! Always made me laugh! 

• LOL 1
(edited)

Season 10 episodes 5-6 (2-parter):

When the trainee went snorkeling, why did he wear a wet suit in the warm water?  Because the writers thought the problems caused by the wet suit were funny?

Why did the dying pianist write the initials A.S.?

Spoiler

These were not the initials of the killer.

Edited by Driad
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Why did the dying pianist write the initials A.S.?

I believe those were the initials of the killers father, his death was the motive for this murder

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree, writing AS didn't make sense

Spoiler

as he could as easily have written DA, the initials of the real killer.

I did feel sorry for poor Delford who lost his father to the arrogance and greed of Shawcross and the pianist. He shouldn't have tried to kill Catherine but other than that I was cheering him on.

Camille hallucinating Poole as he says tell the people you love was a nice acknowledgement for the shippers but too little too late.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

Tonight's new episode (8:00 pm in Arizona)

"The team is baffled when an archaeologist is poisoned during a dig but there is no evidence to prove how it was done; Neville tests his skills in an island crab-cooking competition."

On 7/29/2021 at 7:01 AM, msani19 said:

lol, nope! He always wears, what seems like a wool suit, in the CARIBBEAN, while complaining about it being so hot all the time and insisting on drinking his hot tea! Always made me laugh! 

Wore a suit, carried a briefcase, hated island cooking, had great disdain for the French, and never made any effort to adapt to island life.

Goodman made all sorts of moves toward adapting to his environment (wore island shirts, bought a clunker of a boat, etc.)  It looks like Neville will be going in that direction as well, at least with the cooking for a start.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

So...not much interest in last night's episode??  Any comments?

I find it rather unbelievable that what's-his-name (Marlon?) could become a member of the police force with his record and reputation.

For me this episode aired a couple of months ago so it is not fresh in my mind.

One thing I remember is finding Neville's line about wanting to be an archaeologist funny because he had played one in a Midsomer episode.

I dislike Marlon, I wish Ruby was still there, she brought a different energy to the group.

• Love 3

At least in this episode they toned down Neville's quirks, and only had the crab one, which I found funny, with him standing on the chair to escape the crabs and the commissioner's comment about next time trying a recipe where he isn't afraid of one of the ingredients.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

So...not much interest in last night's episode??  Any comments?

Everyone gets these episodes at a different time.  The UK got them months ago.  The PBS where my parents live aired the series at the beginning of the summer.  Where I live, we're on episode 4. Others are further along and some are just starting.  

It makes it a bit tricky to discuss.  It's worth looking back in the thread to see if others have discussed it already. At the same time, there's a risk of being spoiled too.   

• Love 6
On 6/9/2021 at 1:07 AM, AnimeMania said:

Production has started on Series 11 of Death in Paradise, filmed on the French Caribbean Island of Guadeloupe. Shantol Jackson has been added to the cast to play, Naomi Thomas, a gifted young officer who has arrived from one of the smaller neighboring islands to join the Saint Marie Police. The island of Saint Marie is also known as the Murderuda Triangle, a place where large numbers of people disappear under mysterious and not so mysterious circumstances.

Here is a picture of Shantol Jackson next to Tahj Miles.

DIP11_05-07-21_SHANTOL-TAHJ_DG-011-850e.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Here is a picture of Shantol Jackson next to Tahj Miles.

DIP11_05-07-21_SHANTOL-TAHJ_DG-011-850e.

Thank you!

I hope she's experienced and a settled partner to the new kid. I really don't want two newbies, so to speak. 

• Love 5
On 9/4/2021 at 4:44 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw the one with Neville in the hospital again tonight.  I went to YouTube to look up Tiny Winey.  Lots of comments about how others looked it up because of DiP.  I may have to buy the mp3. LOL.

Tiny Winey reminds me of being a kid and hearing it on my parents' record player. It's a classic in our house!

• Love 4

Just finished watching season 10 ( I know, I'm slow)  and I must say, Catherine is a terrible friend.  

She eggs on Neville, her risk adverse friend,  to declare his feelings for Florence, someone who is also her friend who is clearly going through her own pain, without ever checking on whether Florence might be interested first. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Pietr said:

Just finished watching season 10 ( I know, I'm slow)  and I must say, Catherine is a terrible friend.  

She eggs on Neville, her risk adverse friend,  to declare his feelings for Florence, someone who is also her friend who is clearly going through her own pain, without ever checking on whether Florence might be interested first. 

I agree.  I don't understand why she keeps pushing it.  Unless she knows something about Florence that the audience has not seen any hint of.  I can't see anything to indicate that Florence is the least bit interested in Neville.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I agree.  I don't understand why she keeps pushing it.  Unless she knows something about Florence that the audience has not seen any hint of.  I can't see anything to indicate that Florence is the least bit interested in Neville.

I don't know. I think she sees two people who get along very well and seem to be spending a lot more time together then normal. They are both young and attractive. She also knows Florence's heartbreak and sadness and maybe senses something in Neville. Maybe in her mind she thinks they will make each other very happy. 

Also, people like to play matchmaker. 

• Love 3

I just finished 10 too and I'm a bit irritated by the way they've gone about the romance setup.  The reason Catherine pushing Neville towards Florence feels so awkward is because that is largely the set up to the romance--Catherine saying that Neville likes Florence.  

There really hasn't been an organic buildup to the relationship.  It's more exposition (thanks to Catherine).  

They also just met one another. I think more of a focus should have been used to develop their personal and professional dynamic before adding a romantic undercurrent.  This is only their first season together.  They should have waited to build the tension until their second season together.  

Speaking of their work, that's another thing.  They keep having Neville call Florence his colleague as if they're on the same professional level but they're not.  He's the supervising policeman.  That's why he's called "Sir" why he calls everyone else by their first name. 

I don't think they need to adhere to real world professional boundaries but they seem to want to pretend it doesn't exist while simultaneously reinforcing that it does.

• Love 10

The thing is Florence has a type. From what we've seen, she likes them tall, big and fit. Neville is none of those things. Plus she'd have to be taking care of him and his idiosyncrasies, If they were to have kids, that stuff might be passed on.  

I would prefer they not go down that road and tell Catherine to MYOB. I want to see the cases.

• Love 6

That's another reason I really liked Jack on the show. There was no romance or attempts to have romance with him and someone else there. I feared they might do it with Catherine but they never went there. It was more of a paternal/mentor relationship for him with Florence. I enjoyed that a lot. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Maren said:

That's another reason I really liked Jack on the show. There was no romance or attempts to have romance with him and someone else there. I feared they might do it with Catherine but they never went there. It was more of a paternal/mentor relationship for him with Florence. I enjoyed that a lot. 

Same here. I loved Jack and Florence's friendship. He was as happy as anyone about her engagement. And he was always keen to give her - and the rest of the team - credit for solving a case.

I also liked the misdirection they did with Jack's departure. I thought he was going to leave with Anna, the woman he met on Saint Marie. But he just ended up going home to be with his daughter. 

I too am not loving the idea of a Neville and Florence pairing. It's unnecessary and a bit of a distraction.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 6
On 9/17/2021 at 12:17 PM, BookWitch said:

The thing is Florence has a type. From what we've seen, she likes them tall, big and fit. Neville is none of those things. Plus she'd have to be taking care of him and his idiosyncrasies, If they were to have kids, that stuff might be passed on.  

I would prefer they not go down that road and tell Catherine to MYOB. I want to see the cases.

Ralf Little is big, tall and fit. He’s 6” and a former athlete.

image.thumb.jpeg.b921a85b7858c6bb0a9232eb6631017a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.458f78f4dec79251f3dc5527050d149f.jpeg

They nerd him up for the show. If they want to show him as athletic, it’s not hard.

There are many reasons why the romance isn’t workable, but Florence having a type isn’t one.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4