Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Driad said:

P.S.  As a fan of Father Ted, I am looking forward to seeing Ardal O'Hanlon on this show, and hope he does well.

Preach!!

I wonder if he'll have his He-Man sheets with him at his new home?!

Is it too much to hope for a Mrs. Doyle cameo at Catherine's bar, offering tea to the Honore Police crew?

• Love 1

Ahh I spoiled myself coming here, I didn't realize Humphrey leaves! I was so sad when they killed Richard off - didn't make sense for such a light-hearted show when they could have just had him return to England. But I've liked Humphrey too, so I'm sad to hear he won't be on much longer. I'm just at the part where they introduce who I assume will take over - I was worried they'd have the London liaison look down on the Saint Marie team and was pleasantly surprised at his friendly demeanor. Now it makes sense - they needed the audience to like him for when he takes over!

• Love 2
On 4/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think he's the last of the original cast, too. Not counting the Commissioner and Catherine, of course, but they're supporting. Still a fun show and I'll miss him, too. The above link also has a few other links to articles that are interesting. They claim that DiP has the highest mortality rate, but I don't think that beats Midsomer County or Cabot Cove, ME!!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I think he's the last of the original cast, too. Not counting the Commissioner and Catherine, of course, but they're supporting. Still a fun show and I'll miss him, too. The above link also has a few other links to articles that are interesting. They claim that DiP has the highest mortality rate, but I don't think that beats Midsomer County or Cabot Cove, ME!!

Cabot Cove would be lower because remember Jessica spent about half the episodes traveling which obviously reduced the number of deaths there. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Cabot Cove would be lower because remember Jessica spent about half the episodes traveling which obviously reduced the number of deaths there. 

True but there are about 56 episides if DiP and about 230 of MSW. So about twice as many deaths in Cabot Cove. And I suspect San Marie has a larger tital population

On 4/26/2018 at 7:24 PM, catrice2 said:

Dewayne is leaving...to be replaced with someone who is the "niece of the commissioner."

Geez, that’s disappointing. I always thought he was very amusing, really good in the part. To be honest, after all this it just doesn’t seem like the same show any more; I mean, the very premise has been mixed up ever since Ben Miller left. I like DiP enough that I’m still going to watch, but… Maybe the show has jumped the shark. Remember all the great episodes of the first few seasons—“Wicked Wedding Night,” “Predicting a Murder, “Stab in the Dark”? 

By the way, what does everyone think of Ardal O’Hanlon? I really liked the concept of his character when he was introduced—kind of like an Irish variant on Columbo—but he’s really rather dull now. I feel like the writers just can’t figure out the original idea of the character, so he’s become a standard-issue copper. In fact, the writing is pretty darn awful now. That sounds more negative than I’d intended, but, honestly, the dialogue sounds tinny and ‘off’ to my ears—the way no one would ever speak in real life.

• Love 1

So has anyone seen Season 7, Episode 1? One of the better recent ones: Thorogood (who first came up with the character) gets Mooney’s character right, and the plotting is excellent, especially the “how.” It’s not the equal of “Wicked Wedding Night” or “Stab in the Dark” (the pacing in particular is off), but it is very good. 

Spoiler

My biggest problem was the “who”: I’m tired of cases in which everyone (here, every suspect but two) is involved in the murder plot. To paraphrase John Dickson Carr (a picture of whom was first avatar here), the point of a mystery is for 1 person to fool 50 innocents, not for 50 people to fool 1 innocent. I think that there should be at most two culprits, one killer and then that person’s accomplice. Unless you’re doing Murder on the Orient Express or something, any more are just too many. It kinda negates the fair-play aspect.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Salzmank said:

To be honest, after all this it just doesn’t seem like the same show any more; I mean, the very premise has been mixed up ever since Ben Miller left.

Ironically, one of my complaints about the show is that it felt like it was repeating mysteries from earlier seasons.  Author dies?  (I think each had a similar culprit too).  The bride dies on her wedding day--why not kill the groom?  Researcher is offed.

I still like it, although I agree the Poole years were the best years.  But it used to feel like slipping into a bath when I watched it in terms of comfort viewing.  It's still comfort, but not as much fun.

When they replace Dwayne, I hope the new character also brings the comedy.  This show would lack something without it.

• Love 2

Warning: This post will be somewhat spoilery for the seventh episode of the seventh season if you haven't seen it.

So tonight on my PBS station, they showed "Dark Memories" which had a different kind of reveal in that the perpetrator was not in the room.   At first I thought it was an interesting twist that shook up the formula a bit.

Then, after the credits, I saw that the episode was dedicated to the murderer and I learned that the actor had passed away while filming.  

My PBS station just showed "Murder from Above," in which a bride-to-be falls from a balcony. From what I could find out, this is the first episode for D.I. Mooney, but he seemed well established, so it feels as if I missed several episodes. What happened to Humphrey?  

Also if Mooney is really Ardal O'Hanlon, who played Father Dougal on "Father Ted," he has changed more than I would expect in 20+ years. Help?

26 minutes ago, Driad said:

My PBS station just showed "Murder from Above," in which a bride-to-be falls from a balcony. From what I could find out, this is the first episode for D.I. Mooney, but he seemed well established, so it feels as if I missed several episodes. What happened to Humphrey?  

Remember Humphrey's girlfriend Martha?  She got a job in London.  Towards the end of Season 6, the gang had a case that brought Dwayne, Humphrey and Florence to London.  Mooney was their London contact.  While Humphrey was there, he went to see Martha who was both happy to see him and happy at her job.  It made him realize just how much he missed her and wanted to be with her so he stayed.  Mooney, in need of a vacation because of work and being a widower, decided to take a trip to Saint Marie. He got roped into a case and then he decided to stay. He was in Saint Marie for the last two episodes of Season 6. You watched the first episode of Season 7.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

[Mooney] was in Saint Marie for the last two episodes of Season 6.

Thank you.  I missed the London episode and these two.  

Wait another bride falls from a balcony?! I mean I know she was shot with a spear gun before she fell in the earlier episode but that seems too ridiculous for an island the size of Saint Marie. So many brides or brides to be have died that I think it would be a determinate to wedding tourism.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Also if Mooney is really Ardal O'Hanlon, who played Father Dougal on "Father Ted," he has changed more than I would expect in 20+ years. Help?

Mooney really IS "Father Dougal" - I wouldn't ever joke about Father Ted trivia!

• Love 2

O'Hanlon recovers this show for me - I found Humphrey morose, distracted, even insufferable at times. Just going through the motions. Mooney seems happy to be there, and has a light touch that is a much better fit IMO.

Also in the post-Humphrey era they seem to be making a bit better use of Elizabeth Bourgine thank goodness.

• Love 5

I really like Ardal O'Hanlon's character.  It's brought me back to the show again. (I thought Humphrey was a poor man's Richard Poole and checked out for those seasons.) 

I also like that the new guy has a family and normal relationships. The socially inept trope lost cuteness seasons ago.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, Salzmank said:

was very cleverly plotted, but I can't stand the way in which they did that either. It was a strange choice to make artistically, to say the least. 

It seemed like a FU to me, making sure that the character can't come back ever even if viewers call for him to return.  Since it was the decision of the showrunner rather than the actor, I'd love  to know what went on behind the scenes.

• Love 2

I was excited to see that Netflix had added season 7, but I finished watching all of the episodes today and found them disappointing. It's still watchable, but not as fun as it used to be. I also think it's a bit odd that while Dwayne and JP have had ongoing storylines outside of work, Florence is basically just there. She's been on the show for 4 seasons now and I still don't feel like we know much about the character.

Losing Danny John-Jules as Dwayne will be a big loss for the show.

• Love 8
On 8/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, krankydoodle said:

I was excited to see that Netflix had added season 7.

Thanks for the tip, krankydoodle! Saw the first two this weekend - good to have the crew back anytime. Thought Dwayne's first turn at detective a little disappointing, but the suit rocked!

• Love 1

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look who He gives it to."

Not sure if that line is original to the show, but it's a good one...

UPDATE: Not original - still good.

Edited by highway61
update
  • Love 2

Saw the first episode of Season 7.  Meh.  

I've seen every episode of this show.  There have been some great storylines and characters, but the other comments are right -- the show has lost its way a bit.  There was nothing new going on in this one and no reason to care about what happens next.  What's the point of doing new episodes of this show if you're only going to repeat what you've already done?

I wonder if the show would be better served by scrapping the formula and going in a different direction.  For 7 seasons now it's been English detective, local chief of police, female sidekick and two cops, plus Catherine doing small appearances at the bar.  Whenever an actor leaves they replace them with another actor to fill one of those roles.  The show has wasted so many good opportunities by not doing anything with Siobhan, or with any of the spouses or love interests, or by doing anything with the core group's own lives.   

• Love 10

We're working our way through the episodes, and are now almost at the end of Season 3.  I really liked Richard, but I adore Humphrey.  Couldn't be more different characters.  And it's great fun to see some of our old "friends" from prior British shows in a whole new light.

But, for me, Saint Marie is like Cabot Cove.  Don't go there.  It's dangerous.  People die.  A lot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Great topic! I'd watch a Harry-centric episode. He goes missing, Mooney must find him. A girlfriend lizard leads him astray but later helps solve murder. Could solve wildlife crime on the island. 

ETA I like Florence's hair up! 

Edited by fauntleroy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On ‎08‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, AnnieBeez said:

I just finished season 7 on Netflix. I wish I wasn’t a completionist. It was pretty bad, both the acting and the writing. Is testing hands for gunshot residue no longer a thing? 

I still enjoy it quite a bit.  It was never all that great at police procedure, and I wasn't that fond of Richard so I don't miss him at all.  I'm pretty much in it for comfy mysteries in an attractive setting with recognizable guest stars.  Although I'm not at all happy about losing Dwayne.

• Love 6

Watching the premier right now. Hey, Mr. Barrow! What's up?

Anyway, I just had to come here and post that - I know as an American, I'm not the intended audience. Also that Britain doesn't have our fraught racial history. But I gotta say, especially for a show that has taken some criticism for its reinforcement of the colonial "white savior" paradigm, putting in a line where a white guy in authority asks a black guy to sit in the back of the bus - using that exact phrase - was high levels of cringeworthy. I actually said, "Holy shit!" out loud to myself in my apartment.

I get there was a context. But, still. The words sounded weird coming out of his mouth.

• Love 4
On 2/3/2019 at 7:51 PM, auntiemel said:

I get there was a context. But, still. The words sounded weird coming out of his mouth.

LEGIT!!! I had this same thought but also an American.

Dwayne seemed to make a lot of progress growing up in his relationship last season so 

Spoiler

I don't love that they had him go off with his deadbeat dad.  I would have preferred him to settle down with the woman he dated last season, maybe moving closer to where her niece lived to explain why he was no longer on the force.  But mostly I just miss Dwayne.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Dwayne seemed to make a lot of progress growing up in his relationship last season so 

Hide contents

I don't love that they had him go off with his deadbeat dad.  I would have preferred him to settle down with the woman he dated last season, maybe moving closer to where her niece lived to explain why he was no longer on the force.  But mostly I just miss Dwayne.

Agreed. Hopefully, the goofy niece will grow on me eventually, but she'll never be a true replacement in my heart!

8 minutes ago, auntiemel said:

Agreed. Hopefully, the goofy niece will grow on me eventually, but she'll never be a true replacement in my heart!

I kind of like the goofy niece.  She's grown on me through each of the episodes I've seen so far (although she is a lot and she's very present right out of the gate so I see how she could rub people the wrong way) but I haven't yet seen 8x05 and as it is a two parter I might wait until the following week because cliffhanger.

• Love 2