Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well I guess that answer the question of where will his daughter will sleep, another room that no one ever mentioned to the three people who lived there before, seems plausible when dealing with a one room shack!

• Love 1

I read that it was the showrunners decision to get rid of Poole, not Ben Miller's, causing an uproar among fans. That would explain why they killed him off, making sure he couldn't come back.

It was all handled so badly.  I really liked Poole and when Humphrey came on, he was like a Poole-lite, even to the crush on Camille.  It took me until season 5 before I could watch the show again and accept Humphrey.

• Love 2

I just saw the first Mooney episode on Saint Marie and I really liked it.  He's different enough from Poole and Humphrey (a big problem when Humphrey first appeared) but he's still got a fish-out-of-water feel, provided mostly by how people around him reacted to him.  I like his relationship with his daughter and she's not the annoying usual teenager.  There is potential with them both.

I also like that he's still mourning his wife so there's none of immediate shipping stuff, and he's old enough that if they do decide to do that, maybe the flirtation will be with Catherine this time.

• Love 7

Thanks to my Tivo I learned that I get The Africa Channel and that they are running early episodes of the show. It has commercials so some bits might be edited out but it was nice to see old episodes. I think they are still available on Netflix so maybe a re-watch is in order.

• Love 1

I'm really taking to Mooney. One thing I appreciate about this show is that they work really hard to differentiate the lead detectives when they come in. I love Mooney's demeanor of "I'm just a dumb, friendly Labrador puppy of a copper, nothing to worry about here, carry on" - and of course underneath it all he's actually really sharp and observant, and everyone's going to underestimate him because they think he's slow.

I'm glad he's too old for Florence and will most likely be paired with Catherine if anything. That said, I'd really like Florence to get some personal storylines like the guys do.

• Love 7
(edited)

See, I don't see the leads as being anything alike. Poole was morose, sharp, mercurial and trod on people's toes because he didn't give a shit. Humphries was friendly, clumsy, innocent and trod on people's toes because he honestly didn't realize he was doing so. Mooney is affable, modest, nonthreatening and treads on people's toes quite deliberately once he drops his deceptively mild demeanor and the steel peeks out.

I'm starting to think of the three of them, Mooney's actually the most dangerous!

Edited by Miss Dee
Clarified my thoughts
  • Love 7

I like how they did the transition to Mooney, and I'm really glad they didn't kill off Humphrey like they did with Poole!  I think Mooney and his daughter will be great additions to the show, and I still love the rest of the cast.  In my fantasies, I'm hanging out at Catherine's bar every night, sipping mai tais and breathing in the fresh sea air...

I do have to laugh how St. Marie is very much like Cabot Cove - so many murders for such a small place!   Love this show so much!

• Love 7

I do love this show and I really like the way the new characters have been folded into the 'idea' of the show.

Life literally does go on and people make lots of choices, often ones that seem 'out of the blue' at the time, but are perfectly sensible in the rearview mirror.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2016 at 8:49 AM, Actionmage said:

Richard could be really uptight, but he knew the job and did it well. I miss him too.

Ben Miller brought just enough quirk, like a garnish of parsley, to accent Richard's competence. Over the two series, we saw DI Poole talk to his house lizard and go shoeless in his off hours. He was only really distracted by Camille, but who wouldn't, right?

Still, he was a respectful boss to Camille,Fidel and Dwayne.

I hated that he left at all, but I wasn't fond of the episode ( surprise, surprise.) But that's for the episode thread.

I really enjoyed Richard, so it's hard for me to name just one episode I like best. I'll have to rewatch his eps, poor me. *g*

Poole was my favorite of the DIs as well. I liked Kris Marshall well enough (and haven't seen enough of Ardal O'Hanlon really to form a judgment), but I think the fundamental raison d'être of the series--uptight British copper in laid-back island paradise--was lost when Miller left. 

I thought the episode

Spoiler

in which he died

was very cleverly plotted, but I can't stand the way in which they did that either. It was a strange choice to make artistically, to say the least. 

• Love 2

Anyone interested in posting favorite episodes? Death in Paradise is one of my favorite current programs. 

Top 10

"Wicked Wedding Night" 

"Ye of Little Faith"

"Stab in the Dark"

"Predicting a Murder"

"Death of a Detective"

"Death in Paradise"

"A Deadly Party"

"Missing a Body?"

"A Deadly Curse"

"Political Suicide"

• Love 2

(First, must say I didn't see most of the 2 London eps when Mooney and his daughter were introduced. So some of these points might have been covered in them.)

I think Mooney will be fine--I like him.

Amused that he sometimes uses his tie to blot perspiration.

Wonder what he's munching on and catching in his mouth--peanuts? seeds? sugar cubes?

What's the plan for the daughter? The usual, starts dating, moves out?, etc. But what else? Can't just sit on the beach reading or looking at the waves and the stars at night or hanging out with Dad and crew sucking down beer.

A teacher? Takes over Catherine's (Madam Mayor surely won't keep schlepping drinks?????) Maybe daughter sings?

Love when the Commissioner is in an episode. So in control, the Big Cheese but not obnoxious about it, except when his secretary interrupts his conference with Mooney: "Yes, Dorothy!!!" he snaps, waspishly.

The episode where he offered to help investigate a case and he was a help--to their surprise.

When he saw and removed his picture from the suspects' board.

I just think he's a cutie-pie.

I assume U.S. will see S7 in 2018? Hope so.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2017 at 8:45 PM, Salzmank said:

Anyone interested in posting favorite episodes? Death in Paradise is one of my favorite current programs. 

A few of my favs (Not sure if these titles are correct):

S 3.8 Rue Morgue

Retirement home murder; Goodman's ex-wife appears

S 5.4 A Personal Murder

Dwayne's dead friend texts him

S 5.5 Lost Identity

Auntie Mary

An episode I hated was S 5.6 Dishing Up Murder

• Love 1
On 9/28/2016 at 1:52 PM, proserpina65 said:

While I liked the character of Camille, I didn't like having both Richard and Humphrey fall in love with her.  So I wasn't sorry when her character left, and I did like HOW she left, that it was for her career and she was moving on to bigger and better things.

I do think repetition is one of the show's weaknesses.  For instance, I'm just up to the end of season four and it has become really obvious that the time of death is rarely the actual time of death.  I don't remember this trick being played so often in earlier episodes.

And then when Ben Miller left, they just swapped Humphrey in to continue developing the romance with Camille that had begun with Richard.  That was unfortunate because I didn't really see the chemistry between them like I saw between Richard and Camille, even though they pushed Camille and Humphrey further.  I actually thought he had more chemistry with Florence.  Even though he was different, it took me a little longer to see him as a different character because the trajectories were so similar.

Speaking of Florence, it is silly how they had her in the Fidel role until Camille left and now suddenly she's wearing her hair straightened and down, short shorts and short skirts.  That said, I do like her.  They may have put her in Camille's clothes but at least they haven't put her in Camille's stories...yet.

• Love 2

I must be the only one who thought the Camille character was totally unnecessary. She always shadowed Richard never going off to do anything else to help solve the crime. Also glad they never went forward with the romance. And very unprofessionally dressed (I would never take a detective serious if they showed up to my house in hot pants and a camisole).

I'm glad to hear Humphrey's will exit stage left after 2 seasons, he looks like a displaced frat/surfer boy. Can't believe he has enough brains to solve a crime.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Florence is also dressed unprofessionally.

What exactly is professional dress in a place that is really hot all the time? They never struck me as dressed unprofessionally, just as any other professional on the island.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, marina to said:

What exactly is professional dress in a place that is really hot all the time? They never struck me as dressed unprofessionally, just as any other professional on the island.

Too tight, too bare.. If it's okay why are the men not dressed in the same manner?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, marina to said:

Except the rest of the police force dress more professional, even Humphrey who is a wrinkled unkempt mess wears a jacket and before she was promoted Florence wore a uniform. Pretty sure producers just think viewers want eye candy. Both are gorgeous so I don't really care.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Haven't got farther than the beginning of season 4. Fidel is gone Florence is there, right now in a uniform. I guess that changes though. Hopefully she becomes more useful than Camille was. She only parroted whatever DI said. No thinking on her own. I like it better when all characters collaborate. 

6 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Camille's job was to explain the island to Richard. She did that well. She did serve a useful purpose.

And speak French. She actually sussed out parts of lots of the cases she just wasn't a showboaty drama queen like both detectives.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I miss Richard and Fidel. I get the actor did not want to stay in the role, but I wish they had not killed him.   Humphrey was ok, he was just not Richard.  I recall Camille contributing to cases.  I thought the problem was that Richard did NOT return Camille's feelings? I think Florence is finally coming into her how. With both Florence and Camille I think part of it is that both actresses were trying to get comfortable with speaking in English.  The actress who plays Florence also seems quite young. Maybe she does not have as much acting experience?  Does anyone know why the actress that played Camille left? 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

The actress who plays Florence also seems quite young. Maybe she does not have as much acting experience?

She is 32 and has been a regular in 4 other series but this is her first in English.

Sara just said she wanted to do other things as the reason she left.

• Love 2

For those that miss Fidel he played a very different role in the HBO show The Deuce. 

10 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

And she's worked constantly since moving on.

Yeah one of the problems with being so far from their homebase is that all these people are still at the point in their career where they are going to usually have to audition and that can be a problem when you are in the middle of the Caribbean for several months a year.

• Love 2

Series 7 Episode 3 "Written in Murder" was a total fail.

Spoiler

The killer leaves the party (for an extended period of time) and follows the victim without any of the other guests noticing they were gone from the party. How did the person who anchors the boat offshore get back to the shore without looking like a wet rat when they return to the party.

• Love 2

Why haven't we seen JP's wife since he got married? I don't need to see her regularly, but it seems odd to me that she's pretty much disappeared. 

The commissioner gets on my nerves. His presence is so forced and unnecessary. Plus why is he on the board of everything or president of everything? It annoys me. 

Edited by msani19
On 1/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, msani19 said:

Why haven't we seen JP's wife since he got married? I don't need to see her regularly, but it seems odd to me that she's pretty much disappeared. 

The commissioner gets on my nerves. His presence is so forced and unnecessary. Plus why is he on the board of everything or president of everything? It annoys me. 

I thought she was in an episode or two. Right now I cannot remember which one, but she showed up at least once after the wedding.  

• Love 1
On 6/21/2017 at 7:41 AM, izabella said:

I like how they did the transition to Mooney, and I'm really glad they didn't kill off Humphrey like they did with Poole!  I think Mooney and his daughter will be great additions to the show, and I still love the rest of the cast.  In my fantasies, I'm hanging out at Catherine's bar every night, sipping mai tais and breathing in the fresh sea air...

I do have to laugh how St. Marie is very much like Cabot Cove - so many murders for such a small place!   Love this show so much!

I never thought about it like that before - and it's so true!!!!!!

For those of you who have not seen the brilliance that is "Father Ted", it's streaming on Hulu. 

You are welcome :) 

• Love 2

The Impossible Murder (s6, e3) was caught on my TiVo. I screamed when I saw Jason Hughes. I just finished wished a binge of Midsomer Murders so seeing Jones on the other side not being a police officer is craziness.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Eeeee! We started getting season 7 tonight in Los Angeles!

Lucky!

I'll have to see if we are getting them too but I doubt that we will for a while. 

(edited)

My area is getting the new season starting Saturday, although I hate myself for watching on PBS.  I suspect it's edited.  I watched the first five seasons on Netflix.  I want to squeeze out every ounce of comfort viewing from it.

I'm going to miss Humphrey because I thought Humphrey and Florence made a good team, especially in Season 5.  The new guy is okay but I don't really have a sense of how he fits in with the other characters.

Edited to put down the right name.

Edited by Irlandesa

I don't think we are getting the new season on Saturday, bummer!  I was about to order Britbox until I realized they do not have the current seasons of Death in Paradise, Vera or Endeavor.  I may still order it for older BBC/ITV shows.   I did like Humphrey and Camille, minus his crush on her. 

43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes. I mean to say Florence.

I didn't even see your reference to season 5...I did like Humphrey and Camille together, but I think he works well with Florence.  Interested to see the chemistry with the new guy.   I still miss Fidel! 

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I don't think we are getting the new season on Saturday, bummer!  I was about to order Britbox until I realized they do not have the current seasons of Death in Paradise, Vera or Endeavor.  I may still order it for older BBC/ITV shows.   I did like Humphrey and Camille, minus his crush on her. 

Amazon Prime members can watch Vera & Endeavor for free.

Netflix just added season 6 of "Death in Paradise."  (That was the season that was new to those of us in the States on PBS last year.)

I don't want to spoil it, but it's the season when the Honore Police team went to London.

43 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Season 7 in DC on MPT starts 4/12 (Thurs). We've been getting reruns of S6 eps several time a week. Hopefully, it will be the same for S7.

I can only search up to April 15 on my interactive cable guide. As far as Southern California goes, there haven't been any reruns on Season 6, let alone any info for when Season 7 will be shown.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Bridget said:

I can only search up to April 15 on my interactive cable guide. As far as Southern California goes, there haven't been any reruns on Season 6, let alone any info for when Season 7 will be shown.

KCET has been playing season 7 on Mondays and Thursdays for about a month.

Edited by Willowsmom

WGBH Boston will show the finale of season 5 tonight and the first episode of season 6 next week.  No word on when we will get season 7.

I tend to see the episodes in random order and get confused about who the characters are, especially the women cops (why don't they wear uniforms?) and the young men cops.  So my favorites are the ones I see most often, Dwayne and the Commissioner.

20 minutes ago, Driad said:

who the characters are, especially the women cops (why don't they wear uniforms?)

Because they are detectives not uniformed cops, Florence wore a uniform when she was first on the show before she was promoted to detective.

• Love 2