Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm watching what seems to be the most recent season on PBS in the US.  I see that Catherine, Camille's mother who runs the local bar, is still around, in fact she had a fairly prominent role tonight.  But has there been any reference to Camille since she left to work in Paris?  It would be nice if Sara Martins made a guest appearance though the new characters Florence and J.P.  are doing well (sometimes I think the supporting cast gets more to do than they once did).

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

I always love the episodes where family comes to visit. Aunt Mary was great. It's good to see that Humphrey has a loving family. Oh and Harry the Watch Lizard is too cute.

I remember the episode when Humphrey's father visited, but I don't remember anything being said about his mother?  Is she living?

I can't find the show on the schedule here in New York city.  Normally channel 21 shows it on Monday nights, now it doesn't seem to be playing all week. Is the latest season over?

Richard could be really uptight, but he knew the job and did it well. I miss him too.

Ben Miller brought just enough quirk, like a garnish of parsley, to accent Richard's competence. Over the two series, we saw DI Poole talk to his house lizard and go shoeless in his off hours. He was only really distracted by Camille, but who wouldn't, right?

Still, he was a respectful boss to Camille,Fidel and Dwayne.

I hated that he left at all, but I wasn't fond of the episode ( surprise, surprise.) But that's for the episode thread.

I really enjoyed Richard, so it's hard for me to name just one episode I like best. I'll have to rewatch his eps, poor me. *g*

• Love 4

I don't usually criticize individuals for not being good actors, it being so subjective (like 'X isn't funny!') but unfortunately I think Joséphine Jobert is not great. Her line readings are quite stilted, as if she has memorized them phonetically. Sara Martins was more natural even though also a native French speaker. Other cast changes weren't great either - the young actor who replaced Fidel isn't as interesting IMO. And I have never taken to Kris Marshall's character - he seems completely arbitrary.

But the major weakness of this show is the old 'gather everybody around' bit. Where Humphrey spends the last ten minutes expositing what happened while everybody sits around listening. And then this happened, and then realizing this, you did that. And then that happened. And then, not wanting to take a chance, you did this. And then that. On and on. Zzzzzz. By the time he gets around to identifying the killer, I no longer care.

Florence or Dwayne might pitch in with a comment or two. The detective going  'ah hah!' then understanding it all in a flash of inspiration, then explaining the puzzle to the patient audience in a monolog is the old Agatha Christie style and it's so formulaic and unimaginative by now. Like having someone read a mystery aloud to you. Tolerable with Ben Miller, but when that brilliance is Kris Marshall, doesn't help at all.

Better shows like the old Law and Order uncovered evidence methodically and gradually, by process, without relying on everybody being clueless except the one inspired genius, and subsequent lecture approach.

Hmm why then do I continue to watch the show? The scenery is nice, though they don't show enough of it (in fact due to low budget it's one of those shows where the population of the place appears to be about 20 people). And gorgeous Elizabeth Bourgine, who I could just watch tend bar for an hour. I will endure ten minutes of Marshall bumbling for one scene with her.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Just saw the first episode on Netflix. It seems like a perfectly serviceable crime procedural, with interesting accents, so I'll probably keep watching more. But - while I know it's a plot device - I was definitely bothered by the end of the episode where the British guy is informed that he has been transferred there and seems to have no say in the matter. Didn't he just expect a short trip and had a life back in England? That seems like a pretty messed up way to treat an employee. 

• Love 1

I love this show.  I love the tropical setting, and the warm-hearted relationships. 

And I really want to be sipping a tasty beverage at Catherine's bar. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

I'm so bitter they wrote him out the way they did!! I don't care if it's a retcon or not; I'd love it if, towards the end of the last season, Camille comes back and finds out that it was all a fake out and Richard is actually undercover. The climax of which would happen on the island, of course.

• Love 6

While I liked the character of Camille, I didn't like having both Richard and Humphrey fall in love with her.  So I wasn't sorry when her character left, and I did like HOW she left, that it was for her career and she was moving on to bigger and better things.

• Love 7

Camille was smart, gorgeous, caring and liked to have fun...hell, I'd fall in love with her and I'm not even a lonely British guy with odd interpersonal skills far from home, lol.  I do agree that both of them falling for her is a bit much, though. 

• Love 5

I just read that the lead Kris Marshall has quit the show and has being replaced by Ardal O'Hanlan (Father Ted, My Hero).  Rumors that he (Kris) might be up for Doctor Who.  Interesting choices for both shows (if Who does happen).

• Love 1

They're airing season 6 here in Canada now on BBC Canada. Just saw episode 3. Humphrey has a girlfriend! I'm guessing she's how they're writing him out, which is supposed to happen in the next few eps.

This episode featured Jason Hughes from Midsomer Murders. Good to see him. The murderer and the motive came out of nowhere, which I appreciated. One of the better episodes I've seen in a while.

• Love 2

I really miss Richard! I didn't realize how much until I started rewatching the show on Netflix.  I understand that it was Ben Miller's decision to quit the show, but I hate how the writers wrote him off. IMO there was no reason to kill Richard off; I would have preferred to see Richard being able to return home like he always wanted. The cynic in me thinks the writers killed Richard off so they wouldn't have to deal with fans asking 'is Richard coming back'?

• Love 6
(edited)

I just saw Mooney's first case on Saint Marie. I think they handled the transition between the two wonderfully well. They gave Goodman an excellent reason to live and didn't kill him off! Mooney also has a great reason to go to Saint Marie and giving him a daughter opens up all kinds of story possibilities down the line. I'm like that they're not using Florence as a romantic interest the way they did Camille. 

Only 8 episodes in the season though? That's disappointing. I'm really looking forward to how next season is going to go.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, marina to said:

I think they learned from this. They didn't kill off Humphrey and the new guy is more like Richard IMO.

Crap Humphrey leaves; I haven't watched season 5.  :(  Totally my fault for coming on here before watching the current season.

• Love 1
On 4/3/2017 at 6:39 PM, Fireball said:

Crap Humphrey leaves; I haven't watched season 5.  :(  Totally my fault for coming on here before watching the current season.

Sorry, thought it was common knowledge. On the plus side, you have a bunch of great episodes to look forward to!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, marina to said:

Sorry, thought it was common knowledge. On the plus side, you have a bunch of great episodes to look forward to!

No worries. I shouldn't come on forums if I don't want spoilers.  It might be common knowledge, but I guess I don't really keep up with the show. I have to wait until Netflix has the new season to stream before I can watch.  

I wish they could bring back Richard; it sounds like Ben would be open to returning "[...] could Richard make some kind of return to Death in Paradise one day?Maybe as a flashback, or a ghost, or a prequel of sorts? Ben told Digital Spy. "It would be great fun! I love the character, he's fantastic fun to do". http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a802180/death-in-paradise-ben-miller-would-bring-back-richard/

I highly doubt Richard will ever come back, but I think it was extremely stupid of the writers to Kill off Richard. Like you said maybe they learned form the mistake which is why Humphrey is allowed to leave. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they had killed off Humphrey. He was ok, but I much prefer Richard.

I had such a hard time with season 3; in a way, it felt like the heart of the show was gone.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, marina to said:

On the plus side, you have a bunch of great episodes to look forward to!

Just started watching season 5! They are really great; I might actually miss Humphrey when he leaves!

Spoiler

It's been so long since I watched the series, but I think I started liking Humphrey more after he got his own team pre-say.

• Love 1

Just finished watching season 2 (I'm watching season 5 & 2 at the same time) and I was struck by how completely needless it was to kill off Richard. I had forgotten that in the last episode of season 2 that Richard left for England to transport a prisoner. All the writers had to do was leave season 2 as a cliff hanger with the whole will Richard come back or not.  They could have opened season 3 with some explanation of why Richard didn't end up coming back on Friday and then introduced Humphrey.  I can't help but think the writers had to have had some inkling that Ben might not come back before they wrote that last episode.

I think I would have warmed up to Humphrey faster if 1) Richard hadn't been killed off and 2) Humphrey's introduction hadn't been exactly like Richards. Richard come to the island to solve the death of his predecessor and Humphrey comes to the island to solve Richards death.

I feel like the writers killed Richard off to shut up the fans and kind of a screw you to Ben Miller.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 3/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, PJ123 said:

I just read that the lead Kris Marshall has quit the show and has being replaced by Ardal O'Hanlan (Father Ted, My Hero).  Rumors that he (Kris) might be up for Doctor Who.  Interesting choices for both shows (if Who does happen).

THAT'S why his voice sounds so familiar! It's been driving me nuts for three weeks. The face didn't ring a bell but the voice did.

Father Ted was fecking brilliant.

• Love 2

I think the addition of the daughter might create an interesting dynamic though I wonder if they are going to get a new house because that place isn't big enough for two, maybe she will live in town and rent a room from Catherine.

• Love 2