Type keyword(s) to search

The Hills - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I might watch this, only to figure out how exactly they are tying Mischa Barton into all this. I know she hasn't worked much (at least in anything that got a public release) and hasn't been relevant in over a decade, but really, from a Hollywood standpoint, she should be above this.

From what I read, Mischa got a big head after the success of The O.C. and Jason Priestley went on record as saying she was an entitled little bitch. Yet then none of her movies were released, her TV shows tanked and were pulled halfway through their first season, and she got fat (for Hollywood standards). I am assuming she's more grounded now, but I still can't see what appearing on this show will do for her. It seems somewhat naive to assume a reboot would have the same draw 10 years later with the main person leaving.

I saw her in a movie that was released fairly recently where she inexplicably played the mom to a preteen boy, and she did all right.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, scrb said:

Remember what some of these people were like.

Spencer boasted that he and Brody would get on The Hills, which was already a big hit, and take over.

He'd make Brody a big star.  Then he talked all kinds of trash about Lauren cheating or something like that.

This was LONG before social media so I don't recall how they disseminated this trash talk.  Maybe some trashy sites quoted them or something.

Lauren could only say she wouldn't have anything to do with Spencer, whom she called "sucky."

But yeah he bullied her and got on the show.

If I recall, Spencer gave some interview where he said that he (and Brody) made Lauren famous. Something about how she couldn't get into LA night clubs before Spencer, son of the Dentist to the Stars, swooped in and greased the wheels for her. If there is any truth to that at all, likely it more involved Lauren being underage at the time rather than not being a big enough name for the club scene (you know, unlike Spencer).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I always thought he seemed worse than Spencer (who, I admit, makes me cackle and laugh) and last night did nothing to change my mind. 

And see, Brody didn't really stand out in my mind. Spencer was always so OTT; I feel like that's why I remember HIM as being this big douchebag. I have the worst memory, but I didn't remember Brody being SO horrible. He set my teeth on edge Monday night. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

And see, Brody didn't really stand out in my mind. Spencer was always so OTT; I feel like that's why I remember HIM as being this big douchebag. I have the worst memory, but I didn't remember Brody being SO horrible. He set my teeth on edge Monday night. 

Brody appeared more normal than Spencer; but he was always the one hooking up with other girls when he was dating someone and always came off as an arrogant jerk. 

• Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

That's the thing I wonder with Spencer; everything seems so diabolically calculated that I kind of guess it's a big act--which is not to say that I believe he's, in actuality, some super-chill, benevolent softie or completely normal,* just that without a TV show, he'd probably be less like a dramatic cartoon villain. He reminds me of a person who stirs up work drama just because he's so bored at the office. I also think that he and Heidi were in fame-seeking cahoots in the old episodes that focused on their tumultuous relationship. 

Like a lot of them, he seems to have mellowed out a bit (and, honestly, he seems a bit more self-aware than some of the others). Also, I just have a weakness for TV people who make me laugh--with or at, I don't even care (and his Siesta Key recaps, in which he totally acknowledges his weird need for reality-TV fame, did make me laugh!).

*A chill, normal person wouldn't (allegedly) spread that kind of rumor about Lauren, even if he hated her or even if it were true**

**Unless Lauren was also in cahoots, hahahah! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That's the thing I wonder with Spencer; everything seems so diabolically calculated that I kind of guess it's a big act--which is not to say that I believe he's, in actuality, some super-chill, benevolent softie or completely normal,* just that without a TV show, he'd probably be less like a dramatic cartoon villain. I also think that he and Heidi were in fame-seeking cahoots in the old episodes that focused on their tumultuous relationship. 

Like a lot of them, he seems to have mellowed out a bit (and, honestly, he seems a bit more self-aware than some of the others). Also, I just have a weakness for TV people who make me laugh--with or at, I don't even care (and his Siesta Key recaps, in which he totally acknowledges his weird need for reality-TV fame, did make me laugh!).

*A chill, normal person wouldn't (allegedly) spread that kind of rumor about Lauren, even if he hated her or even if it were true**

**Unless Lauren was also in cahoots, hahahah! 

This is the same couple that filed for divorce in an effort to boost their careers. I'd say they haven't really stopped being in cahoots. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I saw her in a movie that was released fairly recently where she inexplicably played the mom to a preteen boy, and she did all right.

I saw her in a Lifetime movie that was so good (in the bad way)! She was the small-town chick whose BF went off to fancy college and, when he came home to visit with his new fancy GF, Mischa went all Annie Wilkes on them, haha! Also, she was a hooker with a heart of gold -- and a rough NY accent -- in L&O: SUV.

This is the same couple that filed for divorce in an effort to boost their careers. I'd say they haven't really stopped being in cahoots. 

A few years ago, my BF bought me their book for Xmas (because he's awesome and knows how much I like nonsense). He said he thought he was going to be apprehended for shoplifting because he hid the book under his coat--not to steal but to make sure no one would see him with it, at least until he got to the cashier. Also, our old wifi password was "SpencerPratt."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, snarts said:

Do not want or miss Lo.  Binging the original over the weekend, I was overcome by her stank ass attitude.  

I loved Lo and her stank ass attitude.  It amused that she didn't have the time or give a damn about the whole pretending to be friendly for screen time thing.  I totally appreciated the realism about it, because there's always one friend in the group who just doesn't give a shit about what drama everyone else is getting into.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

And see, Brody didn't really stand out in my mind. Spencer was always so OTT; I feel like that's why I remember HIM as being this big douchebag. I have the worst memory, but I didn't remember Brody being SO horrible.

After watching the marathon on and off, Brody did seem like a douche, but the kind who would say anything to get a chick in bed. Spencer, OTOH, we saw a lot more of his antics were more than trying to get laid every night.

• Love 4

Except for Stephanie and Audrina, all these peoples' faces look so...bloated or distorted in some way. Obviously Pamela and Heidi have undergone tons of plastic surgery, but Spencer and Brandon Lee are not overweight and their faces were both oddly bloated.  Same with Mischa Barton. I get that she's not 19 anymore, but there was something really off about her face. Whitney also looked kind of strange to me. Not in a botched surgery kind of way...just, really different.

Agree that as beautiful as Pam was in her Canada days, I would have expected her son to be a little more foxy. I don't think the other one is that good looking either. Then again, it's difficult to really tell what Tommy Lee truly looked like, even in the 80s. 

I started to feel sorry for Stephanie, who said she had no relationship with Spencer and found out about the existence of her nephew from the Daily Mail, but I thought Spencer had a point about how every time he sees Stephanie, he then has to read about how awful he is from various gossip rags. Not saying he's not awful, but Stephanie can hardly be surprised he doesn't want her in his life anymore.

Dear Brody's wife, please do not have kids with him. Kids will not make him turn into a family man. You'll be a single mom dependent on child support from whatever he makes from his DJing gig. On the off chance he's set to inherit anything- Bruce/Catelyn will probably outlive your marriage, so that's moot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, Tatum said:

I might watch this, only to figure out how exactly they are tying Mischa Barton into all this. I know she hasn't worked much (at least in anything that got a public release) and hasn't been relevant in over a decade, but really, from a Hollywood standpoint, she should be above this.

From what I read, Mischa got a big head after the success of The O.C. and Jason Priestley went on record as saying she was an entitled little bitch. Yet then none of her movies were released, her TV shows tanked and were pulled halfway through their first season, and she got fat (for Hollywood standards). I am assuming she's more grounded now, but I still can't see what appearing on this show will do for her. It seems somewhat naive to assume a reboot would have the same draw 10 years later with the main person leaving.

I wonder the same thing. Of all people why were they like let’s bring her in. And then she agreed?  Though as a lover of The OC I’m ok with it. 

I remember her in the Law and Order episode!  

It’s like they threw a mix of people that make no sense. 

Years ago, I’ve never met anyone who watched this except me, there was a show with Tori Spellings brother and I think 2 other equally rich yet zero  known guys- maybe Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunters kid? and I watched every episode. Apparently I’m easy to please in shit shows. 

But oddly I never got into the Kardashian’s. Should be up my alley but it’s intolerable. So see, I have standards 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

Years ago, I’ve never met anyone who watched this except me, there was a show with Tori Spellings brother and I think 2 other equally rich yet zero  known guys- maybe Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunters kid? and I watched every episode. Apparently I’m easy to please in shit shows. 

But oddly I never got into the Kardashian’s. Should be up my alley but it’s intolerable. So see, I have standards 🙂

Sons of Hollywood! I watched it too. Agree about the K shows. I can watch old VH1 reality shows like Strange Love and the Surreal Life, remember every moment of MTV's Rich Girls and most of True Life but I couldn't get in to the Kardashians. 

I'm curious how social media will impact the reboot. During the original run, it was all about the blogs spoiling storylines, behind the scenes stuff. Now with social media truths or non truths come out almost instantly. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Haha, I have weird "standards" about "reality" shows too. I never even watched Rock of Love--and I (even as a former holier-than-thou art-school alternative kid) LOVE Poison!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Another good trashy reality TV show from MTV in the early 2000s was Rich Girls. It followed Ally Hilfiger & Jaime Gleiche. It only lasted for a second, but I suspected that had more to do with their parents being uncomfortable with what was being aired than the girls themselves. It predated the first episode of Laguna Beach by about a year.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I think I watched a couple eps of that show but I don't remember it being very interesting.

Today in a rerun (seriously, what the hell is my problem?), Spencer did the oddest thing, while in dickhead-filming mode. Stephanie went to his and Heidi's apartment and, as she entered, he made obnoxious assholish comments about disloyal sisters who show up for free food. But then, while Stephanie was talking about some drama or another to Heidi, he was in the background fixing her a plate and just casually, with no snark, offered it to her without her asking, like that's just what he does. That's the kind of thing that, I think, bolsters my "it's somewhat of an act" theory.

Reminds me of RHoNJ, when in the heat of whatever season was fraught with "Teresa hates Melissa" drama, the two were in the background of a scene together just sitting casually and talking, as Teresa reached into her bag and pulled out a lip balm, which she immediately handed to Melissa as if she just knew Melissa would want it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Of course a lot of it is an act.

I recall stories during the original run of LB and TH where they talked about the cast doing multiple takes, just to say the lines correctly as well as come across naturally.

I think it was relatively rare back then for reality shows to have this level of scripting and iteration to capture the scene, like a non-reality show or movie.

Spencer boasted of a strategy to get on the show and become big stars, especially for Brody.

Edited by scrb
(edited)

And also, the nail polish (and clocks and other things)! Sometimes you see a conversation that's 3 minutes or whatever but at the start, someone has polished nails but by the end they're all chipped up. Or the clock had advanced 3 hours! Like, fine, whatever--be fake reality but at least try a little harder to trick me, please!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I'm trying to catch up on this thread. I watched Laguna, this one and all those shows I've seen listed here. Lol. It was a different world back then. Lately, just catching up. I haven't seen the new season yet. I plan to next week. 

(edited)
22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Today in a rerun (seriously, what the hell is my problem?),

Whatever it is, it's my problem too, lol. I started watching reruns last weekend out of nostalgia for when my daughter and I would watch together. Next thing I know, I'm on episode 333555 and looking up their wiki profiles on my phone. Yikes. 

Edited by Lastwaltz
added missing word
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 6/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, Loves2Dance said:

I don't blame Lauren for skipping out and Kristen said she can't come back (not that I think she wanted to) because it conflicts with her contract with E!

The cast appears to be:

Spencer & Heidi

Audrina

Stephanie Pratt

Brody Jenner + Wife

Frankie + new random friend (something Lee something)

Mischa Barton (weird twist)

Justin Bobby

Whitney Port 

Jason Wahler

Those are the recognizable faces from the promos they've been plastering all day.  

Confirmed Asked & Declined:
Lauren Conrad

Kristen Cavallari

Lo Bosworth 

Well that ^^^^ line up is making me sleepy just reading it. This show is going to be a flop. 

Did Brody marry the plastic faced Playboy centerfold (from 1999?) Jayed?

Justin Bobby? He needs the money.Maybe he'll hook up with Jayde! 😁

Jason Wahler? The coke addict? Living off his grandparents money? LOSER! Boring LOSER. Maybe he's stepped up in life. I doubt it.

Mischa Barton?! 😁😁😁 Hell no!

Audrina/Frankie/Stephanie Pratt =  4 doses of Ambien

Spencer and Heidi..I need a litre of vodka to watch these 2 opportunists. 

What a dud this show is going to be. And this cast of characters are no longer MTV's Prime demographic. They all must be in their mid 30's? Hasn't MTV always been targeted towards late teens and 20's?

• LOL 3
On 6/28/2019 at 3:12 AM, Loves2Dance said:

Another good trashy reality TV show from MTV in the early 2000s was Rich Girls. It followed Ally Hilfiger & Jaime Gleiche. It only lasted for a second, but I suspected that had more to do with their parents being uncomfortable with what was being aired than the girls themselves. It predated the first episode of Laguna Beach by about a year.

My favourite! I still watch it often. The show was a success and both the network and some of the cast were ready for season two. But a lot happened. Ally was sick with Lyme and didn't know it. She also started spending most of her time in Miami with a boyfriend who had a lot of influence over her, didn't want her to do the show anymore or any promotion of it. I think a few articles and The Sharon Osborne show were all they did. Ally called Jaime and said she didn't want to do the show or be her friend anymore and that was it. No more Rich Girls. 

Theres more but I don't want to take over the thread. 

• Useful 2
On 6/28/2019 at 3:12 AM, Loves2Dance said:

I remember that show but I can't remember Jaime Gleiche. Off to google and see if it refreshes my brain!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

My favourite! I still watch it often. The show was a success and both the network and some of the cast were ready for season two. But a lot happened. Ally was sick with Lyme and didn't know it. She also started spending most of her time in Miami with a boyfriend who had a lot of influence over her, didn't want her to do the show anymore or any promotion of it. I think a few articles and The Sharon Osborne show were all they did. Ally called Jaime and said she didn't want to do the show or be her friend anymore and that was it. No more Rich Girls. 

Theres more but I don't want to take over the thread. 

Consider this an open invitation to PM me. I always wondered why the show; which appears successful, never went on. Jamie seemed mildly more down to earth than Ally; Ally was too philosophical and living inside her own head for me.

• Love 3
On 6/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, Tatum said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I agree with you. Her star rose very fast which put her over her head in many ways. Sudden fame, new generation paparazzi, being the family breadwinner. Momager situations rarely end well. Someone barely out of high school with an $80,000 mortgage? 

I like Jason a lot but I feel he handled that situation poorly. Given his own life experience where you're young, famous and everyone's giving you everything on a platter you float for a while on entitlement then your cloud crashes back to reality, he could've shown more empathy and not made it a public spectacle. He didn't have the internet, paparazzi or bloggers to deal with during his DUI, halfway house time, own misadventures. Again, I like the guy but it came off wrong as if he was doing it to get attention for himself. 

Mischa does or did have talent. I haven't seen her in much playing an adult so I don't know if it's still there or kind of a Lohan situation where she's aged out of the parts she was great at. But I think after losing all her money this show might be one of the only ways she's equipped to support herself. The world is different now, she can't go work at a coffee shop like Punky Brewster did or a yarn place like Ricki Lake, TMZ would be all over it. Where's Oprah? She should give Mischa the opportunity she gave Lindsay.

• Love 3

Last time I heard Mischa Barton's name was when she was caught on camera behaving psycho crazy in her backyard a couple years ago by paparazzi. Maybe she will add a special element to the show 😁

• Love 1
16 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I agree with you. Her star rose very fast which put her over her head in many ways. Sudden fame, new generation paparazzi, being the family breadwinner. Momager situations rarely end well. Someone barely out of high school with an $80,000 mortgage? 

I like Jason a lot but I feel he handled that situation poorly. Given his own life experience where you're young, famous and everyone's giving you everything on a platter you float for a while on entitlement then your cloud crashes back to reality, he could've shown more empathy and not made it a public spectacle. He didn't have the internet, paparazzi or bloggers to deal with during his DUI, halfway house time, own misadventures. Again, I like the guy but it came off wrong as if he was doing it to get attention for himself. 

Mischa does or did have talent. I haven't seen her in much playing an adult so I don't know if it's still there or kind of a Lohan situation where she's aged out of the parts she was great at. But I think after losing all her money this show might be one of the only ways she's equipped to support herself. The world is different now, she can't go work at a coffee shop like Punky Brewster did or a yarn place like Ricki Lake, TMZ would be all over it. Where's Oprah? She should give Mischa the opportunity she gave Lindsay.

Do you mean Jason Priestley? I mean, to be fair, in what I read, he just fired off an anecdote a few years back about being in a shared limo with Mischa and her mom and Mischa was just a complete snot to him...like, the kind of behavior you'd expect from a bratty 12 year old. He said she and her mother sat there whispering about who let this geriatric has-been in their limo...while he is sitting like 2 feet away and can hear every word. I mean, who does that?

I don't blame him for talking about it, although I suppose it was convenient to wait and bust that out after her star has already fallen and she has no clout or influence in which to retaliate.

I can't really speak to Mischa's talent. It seems like a lot of her teenage roles was playing an exaggerated or glorified version of herself. And her voice always kind of bugged me.

If she does still have untreated substance abuse issues though, (and I kind of think she does) I can't see this show facilitating a lasting comeback.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, TeenMom69 said:

Didn't realize Brody had been with his wife Kaitlin for 4 years before Bruce came out and announced he was a she and wanted to called Caitlyn.

So I guess asshole was an inherited trait in Brody's DNA.

That shocked me too - no idea! There are so many names but she was dying to be a Caitlyn apparently.   

On 6/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, ghoulina said:

I was currently watching all the old episodes. I recorded the entire series while it's on constant re-run.  And while I recall that Spencer was a huge d-bag I couldn't really remember why. but OH MY GOD he was the biggest d-bag in the entire world. Now I remember why he was so hated.  

I've only seen one episode of the reboot and he seemed to have calmed down a bit... no wonder Heidi has anxiety about leaving the house... that guy separated her from everyone and they both pretty much became hermits. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Dmarie019 said:

Was Mischa ever part of the original series?? 

No, but supposedly she was friends with Stephanie in the mid 2000s and hung out with her when Stephanie was filming the original run. Not sure I buy that, but as Mischa is the only person on the show I find interesting, I am glad they've found some tenuous way to tie her in.

No offense to Jason Wahler's wife but she's not even close to good looking. But she married money!  Their baby girl is cute but not as cute as the son of Speidi. I wonder what type of person Speidi Jr. is going to be when he is a teenager/adult. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Tatum said:

Do you mean Jason Priestley? I mean, to be fair, in what I read, he just fired off an anecdote a few years back about being in a shared limo with Mischa and her mom and Mischa was just a complete snot to him...like, the kind of behavior you'd expect from a bratty 12 year old. He said she and her mother sat there whispering about who let this geriatric has-been in their limo...while he is sitting like 2 feet away and can hear every word. I mean, who does that?

I don't blame him for talking about it, although I suppose it was convenient to wait and bust that out after her star has already fallen and she has no clout or influence in which to retaliate.

I can't really speak to Mischa's talent. It seems like a lot of her teenage roles was playing an exaggerated or glorified version of herself. And her voice always kind of bugged me.

If she does still have untreated substance abuse issues though, (and I kind of think she does) I can't see this show facilitating a lasting comeback.

Sort of. It wasn't just a random anecdote he fired off. It's in his book. The behaviour was horrid and I don't condone anyone behaving badly. The way he handled it just seemed Self serving considering he's been in the same position of being too full of himself, behaving badly but he was lucky enough to deal with all of it without the modern microscope. He had the luxury of screaming at fans in restaurants, being a jerk, going through legal problems without camera phones and TMZ. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Sort of. It wasn't just a random anecdote he fired off. It's in his book. The behaviour was horrid and I don't condone anyone behaving badly. The way he handled it just seemed Self serving considering he's been in the same position of being too full of himself, behaving badly but he was lucky enough to deal with all of it without the modern microscope. He had the luxury of screaming at fans in restaurants, being a jerk, going through legal problems without camera phones and TMZ. 

You’re right, it was petty. Especially considering by the time he published his book, Mischa already had fallen from grace quite a bit, professionally, financially, sanity, physically- you name it. (Although in his minor defense, even if he’d had the balls to call her out when it happened- i.e. when she still had a platform to defend herself- he probably didn’t have the vehicle to do it then). Still, you could argue Mischa had her ass kicked up and down the block by karma already so you’re right, it was unkind.

that said, as someone who likes Hollywood gossip, even outdated- I’m still going to read it, so glad someone is spilling it.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

There is something about this group and its like Ive found my friends. Hi, my name is KnoxForPres and I’m glad to meet you. 

Hello KnoxForPres! 

1 hour ago, Tatum said:

You’re right, it was petty. Especially considering by the time he published his book, Mischa already had fallen from grace quite a bit, professionally, financially, sanity, physically- you name it. (Although in his minor defense, even if he’d had the balls to call her out when it happened- i.e. when she still had a platform to defend herself- he probably didn’t have the vehicle to do it then). Still, you could argue Mischa had her ass kicked up and down the block by karma already so you’re right, it was unkind.

that said, as someone who likes Hollywood gossip, even outdated- I’m still going to read it, so glad someone is spilling it.  

It just seemed like Birds of a Feather, you know? He's been there too so why go there. Of course a lot of his book seemed that way. Instead of telling his own story it was more of a validating himself by knowing Brad Pitt, Bradley Cooper. Which I thought was a disservice to himself. Look how many famous people I know!

Karma and the shockwaves of Bad parenting definitely handed Mischa her ass. I still think The Hills is a vehicle to support herself because she can't go work a real job.  Oh and to tie in the Rich Girls talk from earlier, Mischa had a two second cameo at Prom as she was a classmate. 

I'm curious why Whitney is doing this and why she closed her label. 

iTunes had the complete series for sale for $9.99 so I bought it. I had forgotten how horrendous Spencer really was. Heidi's original face was so cute. I had forgotten so much! 

• Love 4

Didn’t  lot of these cast members not really have scenes together in the original?

Like for instance, Audrina only had scenes with LC and Justin Bobby and Whitney only appeared with LC as her no drama fellow intern.

Yet Whitney says she went to high school with Spencer and Heidi.

And they introduce Jason and his wife as Audrina’s friends.  Um Jason was in the middle of all this drama on LH and the original Hills.

I know they have to pretend LC never existed but it’s weird they do it this way.  Like that party where everyone was there, I don’t recall anything like that where the whole cast interacted in one place.

Yes I know this show is New Beginnings but it has to be jarring if you’ve seen the OG show.

The talking heads don’t really work for me.  It’s better when they just have little convos like the girls going on a hike and talking about the event.

Justin Bobby is now some voice of wisdom now?  The old mumbling Justin Bobby is nowhere to be found.  You could never tell if he was mumbling nonsense or some brilliant koans.

Get rid of this sober Justin Bobby immediately!  

I thought Audrina starting to recognize Justin Bobby’s old bullshit behavior was interesting.    Otherwise she’s still kind of vapid.  They seem to be trying to center the show around her as she’s probably the bet looking in the cast.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I spent the entire first half of the episode trying to figure out what was going on with Justin's rip-off punk jacket. The only recognizable band was FEAR, whom I doubt he listens to. The rest seemed like a joke. I hated shit like that when the first Hot Topic opened and I hate it now. Stop appropriating my culture!

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Hello KnoxForPres! 

It just seemed like Birds of a Feather, you know? He's been there too so why go there. Of course a lot of his book seemed that way. Instead of telling his own story it was more of a validating himself by knowing Brad Pitt, Bradley Cooper. Which I thought was a disservice to himself. Look how many famous people I know!

Karma and the shockwaves of Bad parenting definitely handed Mischa her ass. I still think The Hills is a vehicle to support herself because she can't go work a real job.

I'm so curious why she left the show (the O.C.) in the first place. All answers from her and the showrunner are pretty vague. She says it was her choice, and the showrunner kind of implies it was a creative decision, nothing to do with her personally.

Tate Donavon though gave an interview and said all the kids (would assume he meant the main four cast members) turned into real assholes when the show got popular. He didn't use the word "assholes" but it seemed pretty heavily implied. Too bad, I always thought that actor that played Ryan was so cute. But multiple sources say he was a jerk, at least when filming that show.

I understand young actors can easily get a big head, but I think early 20s is old enough to understand just how fickle Hollywood is, and how quickly your star can fall, and how quickly someone who you've pissed on can all the sudden get a big break.

Edited by Tatum
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, scrb said:

Whitney says she went to high school with Spencer and Heidi.

Whitney and Spencer went to Crossroads together. 

6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I spent the entire first half of the episode trying to figure out what was going on with Justin's rip-off punk jacket. The only recognizable band was FEAR, whom I doubt he listens to. The rest seemed like a joke. I hated shit like that when the first Hot Topic opened and I hate it now. Stop appropriating my culture!

I don't know what's worse. Hot Topic,the trendy boutiques selling those jackets for $500 or the clueless wearing them. 

5 hours ago, Tatum said:

I'm so curious why she left the show (the O.C.) in the first place. All answers from her and the showrunner are pretty vague. She says it was her choice, and the showrunner kind of implies it was a creative decision, nothing to do with her personally.

Tate Donavon though gave an interview and said all the kids (would assume he meant the main four cast members) turned into real assholes when the show got popular. He didn't use the word "assholes" but it seemed pretty heavily implied. Too bad, I always thought that actor that played Ryan was so cute. But multiple sources say he was a jerk, at least when filming that show.

I understand young actors can easily get a big head, but I think early 20s is old enough to understand just how fickle Hollywood is, and how quickly your star can fall, and how quickly someone who you've pissed on can all the sudden get a big break.

I'm curious about that too. Being a New Yorker/PCS graduate I thought she would navigate the industry more carefully. I think at the time I assumed it was the typical I'm a star now so I need to be free to pursue other projects and in typical Hollywood fashion those other projects never came. Given all the legal issues with her Mom, I'm guessing she was behind a lot of the monster creating and poor career decision making. 

• Love 1
On 6/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, mayvenne said:

I remember that show but I can't remember Jaime Gleiche. Off to google and see if it refreshes my brain!

A highlight was Jamie saying the word "lim-mo" over and over again in the first episode. I always thought they were being trolled by the producers with that montage. She looked ridiculous. I think I read somewhere that Aly didn't want to do it anymore because they thought they came off as assholes.

15 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

iTunes had the complete series for sale for $9.99 so I bought it. I had forgotten how horrendous Spencer really was. Heidi's original face was so cute. I had forgotten so much! 

Original Heidi was adorable. She never, ever should've gotten all that shit down to her face. She looks gross now, I'm sorry to say.

10 hours ago, scrb said:

Didn’t  lot of these cast members not really have scenes together in the original?

Like for instance, Audrina only had scenes with LC and Justin Bobby and Whitney only appeared with LC as her no drama fellow intern.

Yet Whitney says she went to high school with Spencer and Heidi.

Justin Bobby is now some voice of wisdom now?  The old mumbling Justin Bobby is nowhere to be found.  You could never tell if he was mumbling nonsense or some brilliant koans.

Time and truth tell all...

Jason looks surprisingly good! He was disgusting back in the day, I could NOT see his appeal.

Heidi confronting Stephanie just made me cringe. She's trying to come off as Mama Bear but it's transparently obvious that she just wants screentime. And I despise it when spouses insert themselves into family drama. You should be trying to help unite a family, not further stoking anger.

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Whitney and Spencer went to Crossroads together. 

I don't know what's worse. Hot Topic,the trendy boutiques selling those jackets for $500 or the clueless wearing them. 

I'm curious about that too. Being a New Yorker/PCS graduate I thought she would navigate the industry more carefully. I think at the time I assumed it was the typical I'm a star now so I need to be free to pursue other projects and in typical Hollywood fashion those other projects never came. Given all the legal issues with her Mom, I'm guessing she was behind a lot of the monster creating and poor career decision making. 

It sounds like all four of the main actors on The OC were unprofessional and diva-ish with the adult actors and crew members working with them. And it sounds like their was some inner hostility between some of them towards each other as well.

I wonder if the four of them managed to get a bad reputation in the industry that reduced their post OC prospects. I mean, they've all worked in the past decade, but not a lot, and not for anything too mainstream.

When you're young and immature, a certain leeway should be extended, I think, but I would still think someone should have advised them not to burn any bridges, even when they're immensely popular. If that is what happened.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

It sounds like all four of the main actors on The OC were unprofessional and diva-ish with the adult actors and crew members working with them. And it sounds like their was some inner hostility between some of them towards each other as well.

I wonder if the four of them managed to get a bad reputation in the industry that reduced their post OC prospects. I mean, they've all worked in the past decade, but not a lot, and not for anything too mainstream.

When you're young and immature, a certain leeway should be extended, I think, but I would still think someone should have advised them not to burn any bridges, even when they're immensely popular. If that is what happened.

I think about things like this too much. Who burned too many bridges? Who peaked at 21 and can't do adult roles? Who can't act and was coasting on their teenage cuteness? It seems like there's a huge amount of actors and actresses from teen or young adult shows who don't go on to much after their shows end. I'm sure that's happened since Hollywood began but it feels more prominent now simply because of television and the fact there's much more media so more and more people become famous or famous fast but for shorter periods of time. 

Who would you consider the most successful from that show? Bilson? 

1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

A highlight was Jamie saying the word "lim-mo" over and over again in the first episode. I always thought they were being trolled by the producers with that montage. She looked ridiculous. I think I read somewhere that Aly didn't want to do it anymore because they thought they came off as assholes.

Original Heidi was adorable. She never, ever should've gotten all that shit down to her face. She looks gross now, I'm sorry to say.

Time and truth tell all...

It's our lim-mo! He gave away our lim-mo! But it's our lim-mo! 

Dr Ryan really ruined Heidi's face. It looks skeletal and too pulled. The lift didn't settle well. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I think about things like this too much. Who burned too many bridges? Who peaked at 21 and can't do adult roles? Who can't act and was coasting on their teenage cuteness? It seems like there's a huge amount of actors and actresses from teen or young adult shows who don't go on to much after their shows end. I'm sure that's happened since Hollywood began but it feels more prominent now simply because of television and the fact there's much more media so more and more people become famous or famous fast but for shorter periods of time. 

Who would you consider the most successful from that show? Bilson? 

l

Oh, to be clear, I don't know that's what happened. All four of them have gone on to do other things. Maybe they were great to work with, or maybe they weren't but that's still not why. But since none of them have gone on to do anything as popular as the OC, I wonder if maybe they are avoided by casting directors who heard they were difficult. Or a higher up who holds a grudge. Entirely speculation at this point :).

Funny you mention Bilson, I consider her the least  successful of the four, (ok, except for Mischa. 3rd least then). Actually, Adam Brody hasn't done much either. But I think Ryan is still on TV right? A cop show? Bilson was on two movies that I saw, and then I think a show that got cancelled pretty quickly. Adam Brody has been in some indy stuff, but I saw he's going to be in a movie that's actually getting a theatrical release this summer. So, there's that.

Funny, according to Mischa's wikipedia page, she actually is usually seen as the one bright spot of her generally panned movies. I wonder if she gravitates towards shitty movies or if that was all she could get.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tatum said:

Oh, to be clear, I don't know that's what happened. All four of them have gone on to do other things. Maybe they were great to work with, or maybe they weren't but that's still not why. But since none of them have gone on to do anything as popular as the OC, I wonder if maybe they are avoided by casting directors who heard they were difficult. Or a higher up who holds a grudge. Entirely speculation at this point :).

Funny you mention Bilson, I consider her the least  successful of the four, (ok, except for Mischa. 3rd least then). Actually, Adam Brody hasn't done much either. But I think Ryan is still on TV right? A cop show? Bilson was on two movies that I saw, and then I think a show that got cancelled pretty quickly. Adam Brody has been in some indy stuff, but I saw he's going to be in a movie that's actually getting a theatrical release this summer. So, there's that.

Funny, according to Mischa's wikipedia page, she actually is usually seen as the one bright spot of her generally panned movies. I wonder if she gravitates towards shitty movies or if that was all she could get.

I know you meant it's all purely speculation. I poorly articulated myself. I think about shows, tv series, too much. Specifically why so many actors and actresses never do much after a successful series or a rocket ride to fame. 

I watched some of Bilson's Hart of Dixie. She's adorable but it seemed like all she did was waltz around in cute outfits while her co stars stole each scene. 

Probably a mixture of both! That's why I think she's doing The Hills, it's a paycheck and keeps her name out there. I haven't seen all of her work but I do remember she was good in Tart as the shy,awkward teen in a forgettable movie. 

23 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Jason looks surprisingly good! He was disgusting back in the day, I could NOT see his appeal.

He was like a sweaty werewolf. I agree; he looks a lot better now. 

• Love 3

I found it a very boring episode. 

If we really want to do this Audrina/Justin Bobby thing I would feel a lot more invested had they not both rattled to media they weren’t really a thing.  That seems so stale given what has transpired. 

Stephanie is unrecognizable. Like I got to thinking about myself last night. Go under the knife enough they will be able to reproduce a nondescript blonde. So sad that was her aspirations even with the England transfer. Kelly Cutrone called it right- she’s vapid. 

Brody has such an ego.  But yes, he still looks good.  But talking about single versus married is boring too.  And now we learn Pam and Toms kid is sober?  Speaking of, didn’t Stephanie have all kinds of that and drinks champagne.  Which is fine, whatever.  

But damn it MTV there are people who watched it live way back when and this redirect and now Whit went to school with Spencer and Steph?

Continuity for the old timers please.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1