Type keyword(s) to search

The Hills - General Discussion

• Start Topic

After moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in the fashion industry in May 2006, Conrad was commissioned to star in her own spin-off series The Hills. During its production, she attended the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising and held positions with Teen Vogue and Kelly Cutrone's PR firm People's Revolution. 

Born and raised in Crested Butte, Colorado, she befriended Lauren Conrad in 2005. In 2006, Montag came to prominence after being cast in the MTV reality television series. During its production, she briefly attended the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising and was employed by event planning company Bolthouse Productions.

(edited)

I've always been a fan.  Well, actually, the first time I saw Laguna Beach I wasn't that into it like....people standing around talking, what?  (Oh, I miss those simpler times)

Season 1 is on MTV.com & On Demand.  I re-watched the pilot last night for the eighty trillionth time.

Thoughts in no particular order:

Heidi's face!  I remember the criticism of her not bring so pretty, which is of course impossible to take when you're 19, and when she got some money she "did something about it", but oh, she was so cute & not LA and probably nice for cute-ish plain girls to see themselves on TV

Lauren's ring-tone in the On Demand episode is just a ring, (does no one but me have song-rings anymore?) but originally it was Journey's Any Way You Want It (old soul that she is!  Or maybe a call back to Stephen Colletti playing Don't Stop Believin' in Laguna.)  I hate that music ever stays on these things.  Rights, schmights! The last song originally was the fabulous Lindsay Lohan's My Beautiful Life which, I'm sorrynotsorry, is a fucking amazing song,

(I miss the mid-aughts pop culture wise every day even though I was in my mid-thirties at the time.  Also does knowing all this random shit make me a psychopath?)

Lisa Love!  She told the girls they were representing Teen Vogue, and to never do anything embarrassing.  Tell me that if this were real life & not reality tv, repercussions of the sex tape (was there ever one?) would've resulted in meetings where LC's internship, and maybe even her college career, would've been in jeopardy.

Also I want a CW show about the time that Lisa Love ran away to Paris when she was 16, a la The Carrie Diaries.  (I love, love, love me a fashion-y show. Obvi.)

Edited by teapot
  • Love 4
On 6/4/2016 at 0:22 PM, teapot said:

Heidi's face!  I remember the criticism of her not bring so pretty, which is of course impossible to take when you're 19, and when she got some money she "did something about it", but oh, she was so cute & not LA and probably nice for cute-ish plain girls to see themselves on TV.

Heidi's surgeries made me so sad. She wasn't conventionally pretty, but I always thought she was perfectly adorable and really didn't need work done. The fact that she had multiple surgeries done at once certainly seemed to indicate that she was/is suffering from some unresolved mental issues. Being under Spencer's thumb for years didn't really help, either. 

I'll tell you, everyone always claimed that the show was scripted (and, for the most part, I think that's probably 85% accurate), but I never doubted that the reactions of Holly and Darlene were completely real when it came to their incredible sadness over losing Heidi to Spencer. Seeing those two women fight to simply be in contact with Heidi and then for Darlene to admit that she felt as though she was mourning the loss of a child ... it was very difficult to watch. 

• Love 3

I'm watching Season 2 on this rainy Fourth of July weekend. Holy moly. They should show this to middle school girls to teach them what warning signs to watch for in the early parts of an abusive relationship. Spencer is a POS. The isolation, manipulation, pitting her against her friends. Blech. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, re13 said:

I'm watching Season 2 on this rainy Fourth of July weekend. Holy moly. They should show this to middle school girls to teach them what warning signs to watch for in the early parts of an abusive relationship. Spencer is a POS. The isolation, manipulation, pitting her against her friends. Blech. 

Especially after we saw her break up w/that Jordan character for being too controlling....the hell???

• Love 2

Because it was noted in this article: there actually was a pilot shot a few years back of a show Lauren almost had with MTV but mtv thought it was too high brow. There was an opening credits floating on YouTube for it.

It was nice to see Lauren doing well and happy, but this specal was..okay I guess? It was never going to be a legit Hills special because Lauren didn't want to do that. Which is fine. A Laguna Beach introspective two years ago would have been more fun, I think.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Especially after we saw her break up w/that Jordan character for being too controlling....the hell???

Got caught up in the marathon that ran yesterday.  Heidi was the most fascinating character and the most tragic.  I thought she was absolutely adorable with her "original" face.  But I had forgotten how much fun she was, how bubbly and a little naive.  It was so confusing to see her have this "I am woman" moment with Jordan, describing herself as independent and needing her alone time....and then basically turning right around and falling into Spencer's grasp.  Her personality then became as fake and plastic as her face and body.  

• Love 2

I mean it was boring and kind of.. Hardly about The Hills. Most of it was about Lauren's life now and how the show got her there..

I did find the unedited scene with Jason sad though, I can imagine that's why Lauren didn't break up with him sooner, she did feel a responsibility for him which is heartbreaking.

I wanted the others to appear too. This is why I think a Laguna special would be more interesting because I don't think they could only focus on one character for that, there would have to be others.

• Love 1

It was one big infomercial for Lauren's Kohl's clothing line, interspersed with some boring behind-the-scenes stuff. It wasn't that interesting, mostly because I wanted updates on everyone else. I get more updates from Lo's, Audrina's, Whitney's, and Heidi's Instagram profiles than I did from this special. Snore. 

• Love 1

I kept waiting for them to interview the rest of the Hills people.  That was disappointing.  I think I'd rather see a Pratt update over this Lauren nonsense.

Lauren was always the most boring part of the show!  And really she's a complete idiot.  Did anyone notice that her voice is different now?  She's way more valley girl-vocal fry.

I do love her eyeliner.

I think Lauren is why it was boring. I read a interview Monday afternoon with her and she said something about how the producers approached her sort of to see what she wanted to do. That makes me think she was calling the shots on the whole thing, but yeah it was kind of boring and like I said earlier hardly about the show really. They showed clips but briefly.

• Love 1

It was good.  You knew at the time so many of the scenes were scripted.  The producers kept putting the characters together, even though she didn't want to, like she's at a club and Heidi and Spencer show up.  This is after the fake sex tape rumor that that douchebag started.  LC just ran to a separate room and told the producers on mike that she won't film with them.

Then another time, they arrange a birthday party on a boat and then have Heidi show up at the last minute and have the boat leave the dock so she can't get away.

Or in Paris, they have her go for a ride with some stranger she just met and they were hoping she'd kiss him and she wouldn't.

I wouldn't have minded getting updates on the other characters but they seemed to have been more active on social media, trying to have a media career and not succeeding, like Audrina and to a lesser extent, Whitney.

Just like Trump, I thought Speidi was an act.  And maybe at first it was.  But it disturbingly became their reality.  I just rewatched the episode when Heidi unveiled her face to her beautiful mother and fresh, gorgeous sister.  The hurt and horror was real.

• Love 1
On August 8, 2016 at 1:25 AM, DrivingSideways said:

Just like Trump, I thought Speidi was an act.  

Speidi were on that "I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here" show, where they were basically these little pampered children who had no idea how to deal w/elements.  I read that Spencer was asking for "a script."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/spencer-heidi-pratt-quit-celebrity-article-1.373123

Edited by teapot
link

Frankly, I thought Lauren looked great.  It's hard to believe so much time has passed.  Watching this I finally realized what I liked about her so much - her eyes.  She was always very expressive with her eyes - it reminds me of a woman I met a long time ago.

• Love 1

Just saw this today. I think Lauren looked a bit different - her face looked really smooth...maybe Botox? She looked good, though. And I did notice her voice sounded different, but I think it just sounded more grown-up and measured.

I never saw that ending scene with Brody before - glad they didn't air it. The other ending was better. And I loved Lauren's parents admitting they were so glad when Lauren and Jason broke up.

I hated the ending the show went with- not that the one with Lauren was great or anything but I thought it would be full circle. But listen.. I feel like all the viewers figured out this show was blended reality and the ending reveal with Brody standing in front of a fake Hollywood sign felt like to the viewers, like, "ha ha, it was all a joke you idiots for wasting time watching this" or something.  But whatever, apples to oranges. Plus.. I figure the ending with Lauren and Brody would have done the same thing because we all knew he was dating Avril at the time. Honestly though, despite me watching the Kristen seasons, the show really did end with Lauren walking out the side door of the Spedi wedding. The show should have ended there. The Kristen seasons didn't really add much for me and I loved Kristen on LB but once Spedi was kicked off, there was nothing else to watch, the best part of the final season was when they showed up waving crystals around at everyone else. Justin Bobby and Audrina being.. Justin Bobby and Audrina? Kristen and Brody.. not dating? 

• Love 3

Sgt caught a season 4 marathon on MTV classic today.  

Did lauren forego waxing her upper lip this season? She's sporting a 5 o'clock shadow much of the time.

Lo came back for the cameras/paycheck, eh?

Holly was a useless character.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 5:12 AM, UniqBlue69 said:

Wow! I just read Spedi is producing a spawn. They still don't have jobs and are still living in Spencer's father's beach house. Good luck to that baby!

After reading that article about a day in the life of Heidi & Spencer, yes, that child will have little chance of becoming a productive member of society.

• Love 1

Seems the more successful ones are out.  Heard Kristin can't do it even if she wanted to because she has a show on another network.

Brody and Speidi have nothing else going on.  Heard Speidi has some podcast like "Make Speidi famous again."

LC probably doesn't need the money for this shit show.  She gave an interview a few years ago where she said she played along to pretend to be interested in Brody.

Lo is probably too well-adjusted to do this but she wasn't a big part of The Hills.

They all came from well off families so they don't need the money but reality show fame and fortune is what they chased in their youth and now they're chasing it again.

Unsurprising that LC and Kristin are out, though I wish LC would stop acting as though she's above it all. And is it really going to feel like The Hills without either of them? 

I, too, am surprised that Whitney has agreed to return. She posted on her Instagram something like, "hopefully they let me out of the fashion closet this time!" While she was never my favorite cast member, I do appreciate that she's able to maintain a sense of humor about everything. 

Color me perplexed that Frankie Delgado was invited back. Who's next? Audrina's coworker and sometimes confidant from the record label? An extra from the Les Deux days? Enzo?! 

• Love 4

Lauren said she has too busy of a schedule, not because of any bad blood with her co-stars. Which makes sense, cause the woman actually has a fashion business, runs a website, manages a nonprofit, etc and I don't blame her for not wanting to make time for a reality show with a bunch of nincompoops. If that's being above it all, then so be it!

Lo said she wouldn't do it because her co-stars were merely co-workers and she considered it a job. "They were all just my fucking coworkers. It was a job. A j-o-b." I don't blame her either. 

The only people desperate for attention and to air all their dirty laundry are exactly the ones that are returning (minus Whitney, I don't know, I guess she might need the money). And I'm sure Kristin is glad she has a show all about her, something I'm sure Speidi are totally envious about.

• Love 2

Didn't she actually go to college?

It's a very good job market so there should be opportunities out there, apart from reality TV.

The show made LC famous and she owes her current success to that fame.  But the show was horrible for her soul.  And I bet she despises Speidi still.

They'd probably have to offer her a ton of money to film scenes with them.

It will be contrived though.  Best most of them haven't kept in touch with each other, spend time, etc.  Jersey Shore cast claims to have done so but not too sure about that either.

• Love 1

The Hills without LC was never really "The Hills" anyway. It was so off the rails at that point, that when Kristin became the lead it was an entirely different show to me. I don't care about Kristin returning, but it would have been cool to see LC. Not only is she super busy, her husband is not a fan of the cameras, so I'm sure that was a factor as well.

Frankie? *snerk* As I said on the Teen Mom 2 forum, he is the "Javi" of The Hills (useless, uninteresting, desperate famewhore). 

All that said, I can't wait! I'd rather watch Speidi clinging to their last attempts at being relevant, than Jenelle Evans pulling guns on people in front of her kids, or the Kardashians doing whatever it is they do.

• Love 4

Jason Wahler did a podcast interview with Dr. Drew Pinsky:

https://drdrew.com/2018/jason-wahler-episode-357/

He will be in the reboot, which starts airing in late January

He talked about his lowest point, how he turned his life around.

Said he lost $2 million in gambling and wasn't around to support his wife when she gave birth to their child, now 14.

Said Heidi and Spencer have turned their lives around, are still together, etc.

• Love 1

Have they announced a premier date?

I haven't watched but MTV is milking the Jersey Shore.  See Pauly and Vinnie for a promo on some other show.

I would think they'd hope The Hills reboot would also be as successful as the JS reboot.

(edited)
11 hours ago, scrb said:

Have they announced a premier date?

I haven't watched but MTV is milking the Jersey Shore.  See Pauly and Vinnie for a promo on some other show.

I would think they'd hope The Hills reboot would also be as successful as the JS reboot.

Yes, it's premiering June 24, which is a Monday. They punted the date twice, and unless MTV plans on resting Teen Mom, it looks like The Hills is getting a TM lead-in. Some of the cast (mainly Spedi) have been complaining that they have to film more to accommodate this new air date. All of this tells me that the current season must be a bore and MTV is trying everything in its power to spice it up.

Edited by UniqBlue69

I know that Lauren is often accused of being "boring", but she was the only one on the show that I ever felt we saw actual "real" emotion from.  She was somewhat judgmental and could be petty....as are many girls in their early 20's, but we saw some genuine heartbreak with Lauren.  

I have to laugh at the returning cast claiming how they are glad that Lauren is not returning.  The Hills was successful because Lauren was the original draw.  I'm a 42 year old lawyer, wife and mother, and damnit I still follow that girl on Instagram.  She has one gorgeous little family and did a nice job investing her Hills fame/money.  Her real estate portfolio is no joke.  

Heidi was just tragic.  She was so cute before she went and got all that surgery.  She had a crazy/bubbly/irresponsible personality and then she just got sucked into the Spencer vortex.  I rewatched the second season and it was just really gross to watch that leech attach himself to her.  

I don't think Lauren is above the Hills, she just outgrew it.  She is a wife, mom, has a pretty nice little fashion line going, etc...she doesn't need the Hills.  Spiedi needs the money.  Brody probably doesn't need the money, but is more of a "why not" sort.  Audrina could probably use the money.  Kristin sure as hell didn't need the money, but Kristin was always "on" even in Laguna Beach and if this reboot is a success, I could totally see her returning.  

• Love 8