Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 4-7: The College Years

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

College Kelly is just atrocious.  She is beige, bitchy, self-righteous, and the short hair really ages her.  At least in the final seasons she looks a bit better, but her college look was terrible. I liked her in the beginning of season 4, as the excited sorority girl who lives at the beach, but it was like when cut her hair, they also cut off any likeable personality.  

I've never understood why TV can't do college.  Is it because they use up typical potential storylines in high school? 

I think it’s because in high school , it’s easier to write storylines that include all the main characters together since it makes sense that their lives would revolve around each other ., but in college , they have to write characters that would never ever go to the same college if it weren’t a tv show and make all their storylines include each other and that happens in every show . Like would Brandon be going to the same university as Steve in the real world ? Probably not , but they have to still write each character separately but bring them all together somehow . I also think in most shows , when the characters are put in college , they always are written to be 15 years older than they really are and it doesn’t feel like they’re real college students . Their freshman year was written well because they were written as if they were actually in college .. fast forward to a season later and they age them way too much . 

• Love 4
On 5/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, BrindaWalsh said:

College Kelly is just atrocious.  She is beige, bitchy, self-righteous, and the short hair really ages her.  At least in the final seasons she looks a bit better, but her college look was terrible. I liked her in the beginning of season 4, as the excited sorority girl who lives at the beach, but it was like when cut her hair, they also cut off any likeable personality.  

I've never understood why TV can't do college.  Is it because they use up typical potential storylines in high school? 

It's so true! whenever they cut Kelly's hair, they made her so uptight and extra moral. Long haired Kelly was always so much better.

• Love 3

I somehow missed years ago that Kelly was physically messing around with Dylan while involved with Brandon!  I always thought the 'trip around the world' was brought on by his Little House on the Prairie dream.  Makes me wonder why Brandon didn't throw that in her face after he messed around with the Beverly Beat red haired big tooth gal & Kelly acting so highly moral. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, alegtostandon said:

I somehow missed years ago that Kelly was physically messing around with Dylan while involved with Brandon!  I always thought the 'trip around the world' was brought on by his Little House on the Prairie dream.  Makes me wonder why Brandon didn't throw that in her face after he messed around with the Beverly Beat red haired big tooth gal & Kelly acting so highly moral. 

Because it's okay when Kelly messes around, cheats, kisses other men when she's already in a relationship. But it's the ULTIMATE BETRAAAAAYAL if any of her place holders are tempted and cheat, kiss others.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

That story line annoyed me because Kelly and Brandon were in an actual long term relationship and no one held her accountable! It's not like she was kinda talking to both of them and had to make a decision. She was WITH Brandon, and it took absolutely no convincing her to make out with Dylan and think about running off with him. That girl never had to take any accountability for anything she did , and the guys still chased her and stayed friends with her. And then she constantly went on about Valerie being a slut when she was way worse.

• Love 4
On 5/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

I think it’s because in high school , it’s easier to write storylines that include all the main characters together since it makes sense that their lives would revolve around each other ., but in college , they have to write characters that would never ever go to the same college if it weren’t a tv show and make all their storylines include each other and that happens in every show . Like would Brandon be going to the same university as Steve in the real world ? Probably not , but they have to still write each character separately but bring them all together somehow . I also think in most shows , when the characters are put in college , they always are written to be 15 years older than they really are and it doesn’t feel like they’re real college students . Their freshman year was written well because they were written as if they were actually in college .. fast forward to a season later and they age them way too much . 

I think that's fair.  But if I'm supposed to suspend reality and believe that Val runs a nightclub, Donna and David are a music video production team, Steve hosts birthday parties on a private cruise ship, and Kelly turns beige and chooses herself, then why can't I simply suspend reality to assume that they all go to college together and have classes together, if it means better storylines?  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

College season one had a few classes where they all were together (the women's studies class I think).  It would have made more sense that everyone had a similar part time job (like the campus café or book store).  I guess that is what the PPAD was supposed to be, until it became a showcase for musicians and Fox.   The show had some potential areas like the radio station, newspaper, and sorority/frat to have mixing with other people.  But it seemed limited to the special episodes only vs actually expanding the cast or making things more realistic.

Is there a show that did the high school to college jump well? Maybe Veronica Mars but that was only one year of college.

(edited)
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

College season one had a few classes where they all were together (the women's studies class I think).  It would have made more sense that everyone had a similar part time job (like the campus café or book store).  I guess that is what the PPAD was supposed to be, until it became a showcase for musicians and Fox.   The show had some potential areas like the radio station, newspaper, and sorority/frat to have mixing with other people.  But it seemed limited to the special episodes only vs actually expanding the cast or making things more realistic.

Is there a show that did the high school to college jump well? Maybe Veronica Mars but that was only one year of college.

Some shows even skip the college years all together (One Tree Hill as an example), and have a time jump,but I don't really like when they do that. I think 90210 was the only show i've seen that actually showed the characters go through each year of college. In gossip girl, they had them in college freshman year and then dropped the whole college aspect of the show, and Dawson's Creek they showed them the first two years but then the show ended. Other than that, I can't think of any shows that showed an entire college run. I thought they did a decent job with the college years, the first year being the best. I thought the post-college years was where it went bad.

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 4

Kelly is the ABSOLUTE WORST. I've burned through up to the episode where Toni is killed and Dylan/Luke has left the show.

First is her bitchy ass lack luster congratulations when Toni tells everyone she and Dylan are getting married. Then jumps down Dylan's throat for not even 'considering" or "taking into consideration" her feelings when telling everyone? Deciding to marry her? The FUCK? Like he needs her fucking permission? Then she throws that whole soulmate bullshit in his face? Did she break up with Brandon when he threw that at her the season before? No. And I loved Dylan throwing in her face how he did ask her or whatever, and "you chose you." All this and she's still with Colin, right? And her hypocritical judgy ass self, telling David that Val always has an agenda and how Jennie/Kelly does that bitchy raising of the pencils that pass for her eyebrows--raising and rolling of her eyes. But as much as I hate Val, I HATE Kelly more. And I loved David basically telling her to Fuck OFF.

But when Brandon read Brenda's message to Dylan--how she would always love him; how marrying Toni finally settled the whole Brenda/Kelly war, and how Dylan thanked Brandon for telling Brenda about Toni? Told me Dylan was trying to convince himself he loved Toni, and it's still Brenda he loves. He did go to her when he left the show to live with her. NO ONE will convince me otherwise. And Brenda at least respected Dylan's decision and didn't try to guilt him by accusing him of not taking her feelings into consideration.

It seems like the show was trying to redeem Valerie around the time "Speechless" aired, and being there for David with his mom's attempted suicide, and then both of them dating. But they undid all of it when Ginger came back, blackmailed her, telling her she wanted to fuck David as payback, which led to David breaking up with her, and then the whole having an affair with that married dude, lying about being pregnant/getting an abortion, and etc., etc.

And DAMN, but Luke really AGED like 10 YEARS in season 6. HATED that thing that passed for his hair.

• Love 3

Dylan and Kelly hated each other when they were together. Like, there was never a happy moment between the two. I don't think any of us are convinced that they were soulmates no matter how much that story line was pushed on viewers. We saw their relationship crash and burn multiple times. At least with Dylan and Brenda we saw both the ups and the downs and they seemed like they were genuinely in love. I never saw that with D & K. All I saw was them feeding each other with strawberries followed by them fighting.

But I enjoyed the Dylan/Toni love story. It was brief, but I felt like she was the type of girl Dylan needed. Sweet, adventurous, no drama (other than her dads drama), because Dylan had so much chaos in his own life. Kelly just added to the chaos. I felt like Dylan finally found what he was searching for with Toni.

• Love 5

I'd like to think there was some depth and underlying threads that the writers used regarding the relationship between Dylan and Kelly.  However, I think it was more to add some soapy goodness and have a bit of a rivalry brewing (esp since minus Rique Brenda spend most of the time pining for Dylan).

In my mind most of the issues between Dylan and Kelly came because Dylan didn't really respect her.  He didn't think she was intelligent or thoughtful.  He seemed very attracted to her and I think he loved that she came with zero family drama.  For Kelly, Dylan was a wonderful prize that validated her desirability.  She had a long-term crush on him, didn't really date anyone in the beginning of the show (after suffering through her bad-girl reputation), and then had a very humiliating break up with Jake on Melrose Place. 

Neither seemed very committed either, as they were quick to get their flirt on or even let the other assume they had cheated (like Dylan/Kelly in Paris during the summer, or Kelly with John Sears).  

The "what about my feelings" rant from Kelly regarding the proposal is very true to form.  She's extremely selfish and self centered.  Plus she was just 21 (even if she looked 28).  I can see how a girl who is that young would want some type of separate conversation with her "great love" about how he's moved on, still will love her, hopes she's ok with this decision. 

• Love 6

I’m still working through the season 5 eps on my dvr. I’m about at the part with Dylan’s hypnosis and the past life stuff. The thing is, all the soul mate stuff and him pining for Kelly just doesn’t jive with the way they broke up. He was over it and did not seem torn up AT ALL when they broke up at the end of season 4. It wasn’t until season 5 when he finds her with Brandon, and then later after the fire, when he starts pining. It’s like he just forgot how miserable she made him. 

On another note, I think they did a nice job with the story of David’s mom going missing and him finding her homeless and learning about her mental illness. BAG did a good job with the material and I found it pretty moving. 

I also appreciated a nice scene that I had totally forgotten about between Andrea and Brandon. It’s when she and Jesse are separated and she’s afraid they’re going to divorce and Brandon comes to see her. She talks about how she somehow backed away from things since high school like Yale and the school paper, etc and kind of felt like a failure. Brandon is sweetly supportive. And I’m glad they mentioned those things she dropped because when they happened they seemed so out of character for her. But her speaking of it with regret kind of helps put a little closure on it. Anyway, it’s a nice moment for the characters. 

• Love 6
On 5/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Some shows even skip the college years all together (One Tree Hill as an example), and have a time jump,but I don't really like when they do that. I think 90210 was the only show i've seen that actually showed the characters go through each year of college. In gossip girl, they had them in college freshman year and then dropped the whole college aspect of the show, and Dawson's Creek they showed them the first two years but then the show ended. Other than that, I can't think of any shows that showed an entire college run. I thought they did a decent job with the college years, the first year being the best. I thought the post-college years was where it went bad.

I never watched it, but wasn’t “Felicity” about college, though it wasn’t an extension of a high school show?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I never watched it, but wasn’t “Felicity” about college, though it wasn’t an extension of a high school show?

That's exactly what I was thinking.  They went thru all four years.

• Love 2

I'm re-listening to the season 5 podcasts right now, and am on the episode after Christmas where Val tells Brandon & Kelly that she went to Jamaica instead of Buffalo. Kelly of course flips out to Brandon and calls Val a compulsive liar. I kept saying WHO CARES?!? Did B&K pay for her plane ticket? It's really none if their business and why the hell would Val need to confirm her travel plans with them?? Brandon even called Val's mom, who confirmed that she knew Val went to Jamaica. Ugh.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, meggonzo said:

I'm re-listening to the season 5 podcasts right now, and am on the episode after Christmas where Val tells Brandon & Kelly that she went to Jamaica instead of Buffalo. Kelly of course flips out to Brandon and calls Val a compulsive liar. I kept saying WHO CARES?!? Did B&K pay for her plane ticket? It's really none if their business and why the hell would Val need to confirm her travel plans with them?? Brandon even called Val's mom, who confirmed that she knew Val went to Jamaica. Ugh.

Kelly was just jealous of Valerie. Jealous that she had Brandon and Steve’s friendship, and that despite her problems she didn’t feel the need to pretend to be someone she wasn’t like Kelly. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

Dylan and Kelly hated each other when they were together. Like, there was never a happy moment between the two. I don't think any of us are convinced that they were soulmates no matter how much that story line was pushed on viewers. We saw their relationship crash and burn multiple times. At least with Dylan and Brenda we saw both the ups and the downs and they seemed like they were genuinely in love. I never saw that with D & K. All I saw was them feeding each other with strawberries followed by them fighting.

But I enjoyed the Dylan/Toni love story. It was brief, but I felt like she was the type of girl Dylan needed. Sweet, adventurous, no drama (other than her dads drama), because Dylan had so much chaos in his own life. Kelly just added to the chaos. I felt like Dylan finally found what he was searching for with Toni.

I never bought the "Dylan and Kelly are soulmates" angle either. He didn't seem upset they had broken up. 

I also thought that Toni was the best match for Dylan, despite the crap with her father.

• Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I never bought the "Dylan and Kelly are soulmates" angle either. He didn't seem upset they had broken up. 

No one will ever convince me the show did this as a bayonet against Dylan and Brenda because Shannen had been fired from the show. So they had to drag her name through the mud. Though I think, as I'm re-watching, that there were some writers who still liked her--hence her telegram to Dylan about the issue of Brenda/Kelly being decided, and that she would always love him. No bitchy or petty, or narcissistic telegram from Brenda. And that there was a letter from Brenda? about how she and Dylan were living together on some Greek Island? Corfu? Or Cyprus? And that again, Donna was going around telling everyone not to tell Kelly because...reasons.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

And the worst was how everyone talked about Dylan in terms of he was "Kelly's guy". No one cared about Brenda when she got screwed over by the whole situation, but everyone tip toed around Kelly about Dylan moving on. Very few people that i've ever talked to were pro Kelly and Dylan.

• Love 6

Oh Lawd! I'd forgotten how BAD Kelly's one minute cocaine addiction was! I thought of you @Lisin as I watched Kelly take her first snort with the rolled up check her Daddee left her.

I just can't buy that any of these people are college students. ESPECIALLY Valerie and Kelly.

So. Let me get this straight: because Daddy didn't show up at wherever, and instead flew to Milan on some biznezz deal, Kelly decided that was the WORST and LOWERING thing ever and thought snorting up Colin's cocaine would dull the pain, blah, blah, fishcakes.

And what did Valerie think would happen after she asked David to fuck Ginger, so that she, Valerie wouldn't be "exposed" to all these "friends"? Her $50K was more important than David, clearly. I guess I don't understand why Ginger wanted to hurt Val. Unless she never considered Val her friend?

I can't believe that douchecanoe Jonathan is making Brandon tolerable.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh Lawd! I'd forgotten how BAD Kelly's one minute cocaine addiction was! I thought of you @Lisin as I watched Kelly take her first snort with the rolled up check her Daddee left her.

I just can't buy that any of these people are college students. ESPECIALLY Valerie and Kelly.

So. Let me get this straight: because Daddy didn't show up at wherever, and instead flew to Milan on some biznezz deal, Kelly decided that was the WORST and LOWERING thing ever and thought snorting up Colin's cocaine would dull the pain, blah, blah, fishcakes.

And what did Valerie think would happen after she asked David to fuck Ginger, so that she, Valerie wouldn't be "exposed" to all these "friends"? Her $50K was more important than David, clearly. I guess I don't understand why Ginger wanted to hurt Val. Unless she never considered Val her friend?

I can't believe that douchecanoe Jonathan is making Brandon tolerable.

This is a very fuzzy, but I think Kelly's dad bailed on moving back to LA to be with her.  I think the check was earnest money for a house or apartment.  What's surprising with the coke addiction is that Kelly saw how it ruined Jackie (and her) life.  You'd think she would do something else.  I don't even know if when Kelly rehab'd if anyone brought up the correlation of Jackie's addiction.

NO.ONE looks like a college student.  Dylan is wearing a vest and linen suit most days.  I went to a CU btw, and almost every day, I wore a pair of jean or shorts and a Haynes beefy white T.  One year I decided to buy some cute clothes from Contempo (I know!) and everyone grilled me if I was going on a date after class. 

The Indecent Proposal made no sense.  I don't even know why Ginger and Val had that stupid scheme.  It seemed that Ginger was jealous that Val was seeming to fit in. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

NO.ONE looks like a college student.  Dylan is wearing a vest and linen suit most days.  I went to a CU btw, and almost every day, I wore a pair of jean or shorts and a Haynes beefy white T.  One year I decided to buy some cute clothes from Contempo (I know!) and everyone grilled me if I was going on a date after class. 

This show was the WORST in that. NO ONE I knew wore clothes like someone who was 10 to 15 years older. I bitched about this about Blair on Facts of Life, who wore matronly dresses and skirts when she went to college! UGH.

And my GOD. Both Tori and Tiffani went CRAZY with the fake orange spray tan in the last three, or was it four episodes of season six! It didn't help with them wearing that pale, pastel-like lipstick, either.

And what WAS it with the college JUNIORS of the 90s wanting to get marriedrightawaywhilestillincollege? That Joe turned into some "old fashioned" fogie, about how Donna should marry him and be his wife while he pursued his dream (since WHEN?) of coaching or whatever? And then throwing in Donna's face that his MOM was 19 when she married his dad!

Then there was the hypocrisy and double standard by Susan. She was all pouty and acting like a brat when she thought that Brandon was going to take that internship instead of their road trip for the summer, and then expects him to be just fine when she decides she's going to work on the Clinton Campaign, quit college, because that's just dandy. As much as Brandon irritates me, I loved his cold, abrupt "good-bye" kiss to her. 

I don't know if it was a directing thing or Emma's own tic, but it just IRKED me how she would rub her temple in that way with her fingers or her face. I can't explain why, but it just did. She did it every time she didn't want to be up front with Brandon, and then when he would get her to spill and he got upset and walked away, she'd rub her face in that weird way. Or maybe it's her fingers.

And that whole Colin wannabe OJ Simpson car chase to arrest to sentencing to skipping bail, to getting caught was BEYOND RIDONKULOUS. This "story line" was supposed to be believable for barely 20s? And MY GOD! What were they wearing at that Polo match? How old are they again, 30?

I laughed and ROLLED my eyes when Donna didn't want to tell Kelly that Dylan was with Brenda in London. Or Scotland? Like she still had some kind of Dibs on him. And SO WHAT if she would get upset? She'd decided to "choose me" and ended up with Coke-head. 

Speaking of which, how was he able to afford to drink, eat, while on the run when he had no money????

• Love 3

It seemed as if the break up with Joe didn't affect Donna in the least. She was all over David the next episode. But her and Joe's break up scene brought us the worst acting I have ever seen from Tori throughout the entire run on the show. I couldn't stop laughing during their last scene on the beach. Her fake tears, fake shaky voice and just all around bad acting was just ridiculous. 

Susan's hypocrisy was really bad. I thought Brandon was way too nice to her. Though I have to say, it annoys me that she was never brought up again, because aside from Kelly, Susan was his only other serious girlfriend and he seemed to genuinely be in love with her. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm listening to Sirius' 90s station and the Jamie Walters original "Hold On" is playing. I'm embarrassed that I could identify it from the opening chords, and that I'm not getting out of my car until it's over. 

Edited by meggonzo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Oh God. First, Val is presented as someone who can run a nightclub at the tender age of 20; then a would be PI/undercover whatever, and now, she can represent an up and coming HOT HOLLYWOOD STAR! She KNOWS if a script is shit! She KNOWS that Rob, that blank cardboard of an "actor" who's just a naive boy from Indiana who just really wants to be a carpenter, shouldn't play characters who are assholes. Because those are only for...has beens? 

The only good thing about that ridiculous subplot was seeing a young HAWT Ric Hearst.

And I thought Peach Pit After Dark was supposed to be a hang out for kids that served NO alcohol? But now that everyone in the cast is over 21, they now serve it? And how did Val and David, who are barely 21, get the license? It's just too much for me to suspend my disbelief.

Poor, poor Val. She hooked up with a married man, and because he wouldn't divorce his wife, faked being pregnant and getting an abortion. Because he "hurt" her.

Oh look. Now that idiot Tracy found the ring that Brandon gave Kelly, she's turned into an insecure, needy, jealous twip on top of being boring as fuck. And was it just me, or is she also racist? Some of her comments about Mariah came off as such.

And as I stated in the specific season 7 episode thread (20), the suicide of Victor Malone was ambiguous enough that filling in that he raped Val for nearly 10 years wasn't that much of a retcon, but I don't believe that was ever the original plan. Because these idiot writers didn't have the talent to think that far ahead.

I hate Kelly. That is all.

Remind me again, why I'm watching?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I just watched that last six of season 7 episodes, which ends their college years.

Tracy just whuufed and disappeared after her "good!" to Brandon telling her he was hurting. Whatever, moron. You were the one willing to take whatever crumbs Brandon had, was forcing him to give you something, even though he repeatedly told you he DID NOT LOVE YOU. And that it wouldn't be fair to you.

And Kelly is the vilest bitch ever. Not that I like Valerie, but I hate her less than I do Kelly. And what was that nonsense in "All That Jazz" I think it was, when both Valerie and Kelly both supposedly had the one day flu? Those flashbacks were horrid. And both Brandon and Val admitted that after they started making out, they ended up laughing, because nothing was there. And now Show is trying to tell me that Valerie's been in love with Brandon her whole life? I will give Kelly points for this: First it was Colin who was the love of her life; then it was Tom; now it's Brandon.

No way did Kelly come back that night. It was so obvious those scenes weren't scenes filmed two years prior that ended up on the cutting room floor. Make-up and costuming did a horrible job in not trying to get wigs to make it appear as if it was two years ago...because Kelly's hair was SHORT, not enough to pin it up or have those straggling pieces in her face. And Val's was still a short bob, and lighter in color.

There's something really creepy about Claire needing to "be there" for her dad because he's so lonely. What? Is she going to be one of those Victorian type daughters who stays with him to be his hostess for any and all social events? Because he can't be alone? Blech. It was a horrible way for her to leave the show. More organic would have been the constant fighting she and Steve did and her just up and leaving after graduation for grad school, because she is smart.

That whole Kelly is pregnant and should they have the baby, should she get an abortion, oh noes! she miscarried, and now she has endometriosis and so now maybe she shouldn't be with Brandon anymore because she can't give him the bebes. Like they've never heard of adoption. Like one of their best friends wasn't adopted.

And as much as I thought Val got what she deserved when she lost her money, Kelly was being an unmitigated BITCH to her and her father. I was cheering Brandon's 'I can't be bothered with your bitchiness' attitude. And loved it when he told her not to bother moving in since she's bent upon being angry with him for...reasons. I wanted to slug him for kicking Valerie out, because The KELLY demanded it. The house was big enough for them to have coexisted and ignored each other. And I REFUSE to believe that Cindy would tell Brandon it was his decision. She would have shamed him in thinking that kicking an old family friend out, who, by the way, had lost her life savings, was the right thing to do because Kelly, who only ever wants what she wants when she wants it, DEMANDED it of him.

While I don't think that Valerie was seriously considering suicide, I'm glad that Brandon thought she might.

I know it's teevee and all, but how did any of them, Donna, Kelly and Claire, pay the rent on the beach house when they didn't work? Did Jackie and Mel and Felice pay for it?

But with all the profits the Peach Pit After Dark was making, I can't believe that Valerie's entire life savings was only $100,000.00. What with her other side endeavors where she blackmailed others to give her the moolah. I guess she just spent it all on clothes and make-up?

And I guess Donna's dyslexia disappeared? Just like with "Donna Martin Graduates!" I'm supposed to believe that a college professor would agree to give that twit an oral exam after she walked on the one that all the other students had to take?

• Love 4
On 6/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, meggonzo said:

I'm listening to Sirius' 90s station and the Jamie Walters original "Hold On" is playing. I'm embarrassed that I could identify it from the opening chords, and that I'm not getting out of my car until it's over. 

Lol! That was a good song and I stand by it! They just made him play it 743 times during the show. Of course the reruns cut them all out anyway. 

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I guess Donna's dyslexia disappeared? Just like with "Donna Martin Graduates!" I'm supposed to believe that a college professor would agree to give that twit an oral exam after she walked on the one that all the other students had to take?

I caught that episode and thought it was so stupid that she never once mentioned to the professor that she flaked exams in the same way in high school and was diagnosed with a learning disorder, so maybe, just maybe, that’s what happened here? So weird that they didn’t even mention it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I DVR the show every day,  I believe POP has 3 episodes a day.  I've been busy & not able to watch the past couple of weeks.   I had stopped watching when Kelly had to go in treatment & had that crazy roommate who she felt responsible for.  

First,  Kelly,  who never touched anything stronger than an over the counter diet pill,  has her feelings hurt because her dad left.   So,  to "show him", she roll up the check he left her to buy something nice for herself & snorts Collin's gram in one swoop like she's an old pro.  Next week,  she's a full blown addict, just living for the next hit.  The following week,  she is a walking zombie, dirty hair,  dressing like she doesn't care,  so hooked in coke is she,  she can't eat,  go to class, just wants to go find the next hit.  Back in my late teens/ early 20's,  I got in with a group of "friends" who dealed in coke. It was the late 70's & "everyone was doing it".  I did it quite a bit longer than 2-3 weeks... or even 2-3 months,  whatever this time period this was supposed to be.  We still held jobs,  went to classes,  lived our lives.  Not only did Kelly get addicted so quickly, she became a "cocaine connoisseur".   Then,  she befriends that homeless wacko in treatment.  First,  I find it very odd that Kelly from Beverly Hills would be in the same treatment center as a homeless person.  In real life,  that girl would have been sent to some clinic downtown,  not to an upscale treatment center where she can experience cashmere.   For the counselors to encourage Kelly to take in this minor homeless girl is another "hmmmmmm" thing.  She would have gone to a half way house. 

Needless to say,  I went through last night & deleted the 'Single White Female' episodes,  the OJ chase with a white van (when did Colin get a full size utility van?!), the 'Steve befriends a prince & finds Colin in Long Beach after trying to fight Pauly Shore" all the way through Val becoming a movie star manager episodes. 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

I DVR the show every day,  I believe POP has 3 episodes a day. 

They've increased it to six episodes a day. They started that on Wednesday, which completed the college years. And last night was the first six of season 8, and I will post my thoughts on the first three I watched over there.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They've increased it to six episodes a day. They started that on Wednesday, which completed the college years. And last night was the first six of season 8, and I will post my thoughts on the first three I watched over there.

I was wondering how I went from around 30 saved episodes to close to 60 so quickly!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good. I can’t wait to get back to the Brenda years.

I like the Brenda years a lot, but for some reason I just find season 1 to be a snooze fest. I think because it was so after school special and the episodes were just corny. Season 2 was ok but season 3 was the peak of the show for me.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I like the Brenda years a lot, but for some reason I just find season 1 to be a snooze fest. I think because it was so after school special and the episodes were just corny. Season 2 was ok but season 3 was the peak of the show for me.

1. Introduction to ❤️🥰Dylan🥰❤️
  2. Brenda and Dylan 
  3. Brandon actually caring about Brenda
  4. Kelly as a secondary character

Those are my top reasons for loving the first season. Not a huge fan of three because it takes place after Dylan cheating with Kelly and Kelly acting like some innocent naive PURE teen who pines after Dylan and martyrs herself by changing her whole school schedule because it’s sooooooo paaaaiiiinnnnnnfullllllllll.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

(edited)
22 hours ago, Meatball said:

Unfortunately, It’s not on the schedule after that. 

It'd be great if, with the reboot coming up, the reruns would wind up on a different channel on a more consistent basis. 

Hell, put them on MeTV.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Surrealist said:

It'd be great if, with the reboot coming up, the reruns would wind up on a different channel on a more consistent basis. 

Hell, put them on MeTV.

Pop has been playing it consistently for years. They were running the eighth season when Luke Perry died so they started over from the beginning, but other than that they’ve aired the whole series for years.

I miss the Soap Opera channel where played the whole episodes and included most of the music.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Meatball said:

I miss the Soap Opera channel where played the whole episodes and included most of the music.

I miss SOAPNet, too. It was definitely superior.

• Love 7
On 6/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Meatball said:

Unfortunately, It’s not on the schedule after that. 

Actually it is. The schedule is weird and it skipped over the first season, but right before the 4th, Pop is airing the first two of season two, and then Season three marathon on the 5th, it looks like. My dvr schedule doesn’t go past two weeks so I don’t know if they’ll circle back to season one after that.

Maybe I should post this in the media thread instead?

• Love 1
(edited)

I’m watching the Matt episodes when Kelly is oh so upset that Matt is actually married and she is so in love with him that she needs him to choose her over Lauren .. glad it worked out for him  in the end , when she dropped him like a hot potato for Dylan . Same ole Kel , will stop at nothing until she gets what she pretends to want .. and then dumps the guy the second another toy is in front of her . Val was right , Kelly really was the terminator . 

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 1

I've been rewatching some of the seasons and watched a handful of later Season 5 and the first 4 or so of Season 6 over the weekend (because I'm lame.) 

First, what a terrible send off for Ohhhhhndrea and Jesse and Jim and Cindy.   At least  Ohhhhhndrea and Jesse got an actual send-off in their not U-Haul black masking taped trailer but we didn't get a proper goodbye to Jim and Cindy?  Why kind of fuckery is this?   And why would they leave their Beverly Hills home in the care of a chucklefuck like Brandon?  

Donna is a simp but I can't hate on her too much because she's actually pretty likable to everyone else (looking at you, Kelly.)  Her hair and her bolt-ons are a crime but she's also saddled with Ray, so there's that.   After she falls down the steps in Palm Springs, she's really snippy at Val and tells her she knew there was something going on between Val and Ray.  Huh?  Did someone tell her something or did she suspect and just keep her mouth shut?  Of course we never find out because . . . reasons.  And I despise that the show had Donna stay with Ray, at least for a while.  Ugh.  

Which writer or writers had a boner for Kelly?  Every damn episode it seems there is major fluffing going on for her.  It's one thing to have her boyfriend(s) talk about how gorgeous (whatever) she is but must everyone bow at the altar of Kelly?  Even when she's looking like ass, the world stops so everyone can gawk.  Sure.  Okay.  The gang is in L.A.  Lots of pretty people out there.  Of course maybe if the gang got out more and, you know, hung out with people besides the 6 in their group, they would realize there's more going on than just the Peach Pit and the After Dark.  

In any event, unreal and unrealistic that Kelly seems to start falling for Dylan again, just in time for Season 5's finale.   Excuse me?  

Speaking of, the gang was headed to Palm Springs at the end of the school year; right?  So May or June?  Would be pretty hot in Palm Springs then so to see some of these dorks in jackets, suits, etc. was ridiculous.   Frankly, you want to go to PS in February.  Since CU seems to have some kind of break every month or so, the students should have been able to handle that. 

Hated the Ginger/Val set up.  Stupid and dangerous, since Brandon and/or Steve could have called the cops on Ginger.    But of course they didn't and of course no one asked why Val, if she was so mad and disgusted at Ginger, would then bother driving her to the airport.  Ah, the days before Uber.  

Had a good laugh over how "the gang" managed to get Casa Walsh repainted, cleaned, light fixtures replaced, draperies replaced, etc. in one afternoon.  Suuuuuuure.   Of course now the Pasta Fork Kitchen years are upon us.

While the show definitely gets much more soapy from this point on, it is definitely not the same without Brenda, Jim, Cindy, and  Ohhhhhndrea.   And of course Dylan's departure is coming up quickly as well.  

BTW, just want to add that NO WAY is Kelly "Cat Butt Mouth" (TM Tara and Sarah) "I Choose Me" Taylor Dylan McKay's soulmate.  Nor should she be his end game. That should be Brenda.

I actually like Toni and feel she was a much better match for Dylan than Kelly.  Of course I feel nearly everyone is a better match than Kelly (although she kind of deserves lame Colin and his stupid "art").  

ETA:  I would much rather watch Billy McCoy's story even if Not Kelly Taylor was part of it rather than Dylan McKay/Kelly Taylor/Brandon Walsh.  Ugh.  

And I will stick by what I've said for years.  You can get a degree from CU by driving by in your car and honking.    How else to explain how the gang graduated and got degrees when they were always on break, up at 2 am listening to David (and Donna's) radio show and/or were studying at the Peach Pit?  

• Love 4

I just finished up re-listening to the season 6 AWT podcasts.  I'm so infuriated that Kelly did not call the cops when Colin showed up on her doorstep after he was supposed to turn himself in at prison.  And then she is a smug bitch to Val, ugh!!!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

And continuing on the Andrea thread . . . 

High school would NEVER have dropped journalism because she had to give a bad review to someone she knew.  Never.   But of course she just so happened to get the card to review the Peach Pit (because there was clearly no other place to eat in LA) an of course it just so happened to be on an night when everything went wrong.   High school Andrea would have written up an accurate review of that night but probably mentioned that she had eaten at the Pit many, many times before and not had such issues.   Just such a stupid plot device.  

So I guess Andrea - - a freshman who got the lab job out of all the other students at CU -- had that lab job only during the time that Donna and Brenda found Rocky and when Brenda was arrested because it was never mentioned again.  

Too bad the show didn't have her working at the campus bookstore (seems more likely for a freshman) as that could have been another place The Gang could have hung out, and where Andrea could have been present, versus the Peach Pit and then the PPAD.   

@desertflower, you make an excellent point.  The crappy storylines Andrea was handed post-pregnancy and marriage could all have been done if she was still a journalism major.  So why the change?  Did the writers make that decision for reasons unknown before GC's pregnancy was incorporated into the series?  Did they have other storylines in mind for her that had to do with the medical field?  

And that brings to me another thought.  Had GC stayed on the show, and still been in the medical field, she could have shared the clinic storyline with Kelly.  Actually, the storyline would have made more sense for Andrea than Kelly since Kelly showed zero interest in anything medical.

On this we agree 100%. The show totally destroyed this character. While I hated her harpy, possessive, judgmenty attitude toward Brandon from the DAY she met him, that aside, she was smart. I liked seeing her in her journalism aspect, if that makes sense.

It was all so unnecessary. I don't know if Gabrielle insisted her pregnancy be written in or what, but she could still have studied Journalism. She was a journalist from the moment we met her. Or the producers could have insisted that no, we'll hide your pregnancy and you'll continue on. But, water under the bridge and all that.

I would have loved to see Oooohndrea and Josh, that smug, arrogant asshat, bump heads at The Condor, and have this freshman wipe the floor with his flat ass.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Had GC stayed on the show, and still been in the medical field, she could have shared the clinic storyline with Kelly.  Actually, the storyline would have made more sense for Andrea than Kelly since Kelly showed zero interest in anything medical.

Speaking of GC staying on the show, how do you think they could've skirted the pregnancy storyline? Or could they have at all?

Personally I think Andrea accidentally getting pregnant would work, so long as she decided to give the baby up for adoption at the end of it (of course, that rarely happens in tv, especially in the 90s, because keeping your baby was still considered the only option, despite many shows paying lip service to other options). That would have been way more in character for Andrea, and could have totally circumvented all the boring marriage storylines and the addition of making Jesse (ugh) a main cast member. Clearly they intended to keep GC on post-pregnancy, so why they chose to have her keep the baby and thus write her character into a corner, is beyond me.

And to be honest, we all know that GC already seemed so much older than the rest of the cast. Turning her into a literal mother during her freshman year only exacerbated the perceived age gap. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GrahamV said:

Speaking of GC staying on the show, how do you think they could've skirted the pregnancy storyline? Or could they have at all?

Since I'm not the person who you quoted, even though my name shows up (That's a quirk of this site that doesn't have a fix), I posted above that they could have hidden the pregnancy and just ignored Gabrielle's real life pregnancy and not write it in. But I think I read in one of the threads, I can't recall which, they're all bleeding together, that she wanted her real life pregnancy written into the show. And we saw what an abject FAILURE it was. In her second return, when Brandon was getting ready to leave, she and Jesse were separated/on the brink of divorce--I think it was the "Reunion" episode, and she didn't want anyone to know. All we got was a screaming phone call that Brandon overheard.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, GrahamV said:

As I recall, Jenny Garth had a couple of pregnancies that were ignored on the show.  GC wore far less revealing clothing than she did, it could've been handled.  As far as GC wanting that storyline, TPTB should've stepped in and explained why it would box her character into a corner.  Had GC realized the consequences, I doubt she would've wanted it written in.  Or, write it in, but have Andrea give the baby for adoption, maybe have an open adoption where she gets to see the kid occasionally or hears from the adoptive parents.  Marrying Andrea off was another big mistake.  It totally isolated her character from the others.  I also agree that Andrea should've stuck with journalism, there was no reason for her to suddenly decide she wanted to be a doctor.  Maybe she could've switched to creative writing or television production or a related field, but keeping her in journalism was the best option although I really think it was the early marriage and baby that killed the character.

• Love 4
On 7/17/2019 at 10:42 AM, doodlebug said:

As I recall, Jenny Garth had a couple of pregnancies that were ignored on the show.  GC wore far less revealing clothing than she did, it could've been handled.  As far as GC wanting that storyline, TPTB should've stepped in and explained why it would box her character into a corner.  Had GC realized the consequences, I doubt she would've wanted it written in.  Or, write it in, but have Andrea give the baby for adoption, maybe have an open adoption where she gets to see the kid occasionally or hears from the adoptive parents.  Marrying Andrea off was another big mistake.  It totally isolated her character from the others.  I also agree that Andrea should've stuck with journalism, there was no reason for her to suddenly decide she wanted to be a doctor.  Maybe she could've switched to creative writing or television production or a related field, but keeping her in journalism was the best option although I really think it was the early marriage and baby that killed the character.

Yes I agree. But slight correction Jenny only had one pregnancy on the show. It just spanned filming two seasons the way the schedule worked. Her other kids are much younger. 

Count me in as someone who doesn’t understand some of the writing choices they made for Andrea in college.

I think the pregnancy story was really good for the character and the show. But the romance and marriage with dullard Jesse? Switching from Journalism to Pre-med because of a fluff restaurant assignment? Not getting involved heavily in the campus political scene? Half of season 5 was literally spent on her daycare woes. Bad, OOC writing for a character I actually really loved, and the one who was the most socially relevant.

90210 was still a topical show for the first couple college seasons. There was a place for Andrea. Brandon’s campus political material was actually more suited for her. Susan is season 6 is literally a high school Andrea rip off. It would’ve made much more sense for Brenda and Andrea to get caught up in an activist group together than Brenda and Donna. Lots of missed opportunities for this character, no brainer stuff that writes itself if you take who she was in high school into account.

It just felt like the writers really didn’t want to be saddled with Andrea’s pregnancy and took it out on the character.

Also want to comment on an earlier discussion about how grown they were in college. I love season 4 mostly because they did a decent job with that year with trying to keep the characters seeming pretty young. Especially the first half of season 4. I love the way all the characters look. Nobody is dressed too formally, which they often were in season 3. The girls are just adorable in early season 4, with their baby doll dresses, chokers, combat boots, overalls, jeans and booty shorts. Remember Brandon’s Bart haircut? Guys were mostly in jeans, shorts and T-shirts. It worked.

Season 5 is when they got way TOO mature. Even younger actors suddenly looked much older. JG and JP look, and their characters act, years older than their age starting in S5. The wardrobe looks super 30+. That’s why I really don't rag on GC, IZ and LP, because really, on this show, they didn’t look at all inappropriate next to JG and LP. The cast had such a wide age range anyway that it blends pretty well anyway.

• Love 2