Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Hollman Holiday

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

I was initially impressed at how low-key Zuri's birthday was.  One friend, one small cake, two gifts.  But then I noticed that the whole thing seemed stiff and unnatural.  So either one of two things was happening.  One - this was a fake birthday party and the real one happened off camera (fine by me).  Or two - these people are so caught up in the drama of their own lives they lost site of their daughter's birthday, or simply didn't care to organize a real party (not so fine by me).  I've never seen a child so disinterested in a present, so that leads me to believe she just got a load of them at her real birthday party.

That was I, that said Zuri seemed oddly unattached to her parents, like they were strangers. And so I posit a third theory about her low key birthday. NANNIE already gave her one. NANNIE is her primary caregiver. And this little get together was an attempt to make them look like loving, doting parents. 

I just seriously get a weird vibe from them. He's super in Cary. And Cary is super into Cary. They rarely talk about their daughter, and (as I said before) I had actually forgotten that they had one!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Maybe this is the reason they cut off Cary's face when posting her pics on the website.  Who would seek out someone who did this to their own wife?  I'm actually surprised how quickly I've developed a strong dislike for Mark.  I actually have a visceral reaction to that voice.  He may be the worst label-dropper I've ever heard of.  I would be interested to hear about his background because he seems like a fierce climber.  And does he act this way off camera?  Because I'm pretty sure Cary knew Zuri's dress was bought "in Italy", and Mark was simply taking the moment to brag about it on camera.  He wants to appear sophisticated and well-travelled.  I wonder how old Zuri will be when daddy gives her her first plastic surgery.

I was initially impressed at how low-key Zuri's birthday was.  One friend, one small cake, two gifts.  But then I noticed that the whole thing seemed stiff and unnatural.  So either one of two things was happening.  One - this was a fake birthday party and the real one happened off camera (fine by me).  Or two - these people are so caught up in the drama of their own lives they lost site of their daughter's birthday, or simply didn't care to organize a real party (not so fine by me).  I've never seen a child so disinterested in a present, so that leads me to believe she just got a load of them at her real birthday party.

I agree with the comment upthread that Zuri doesn't seem to know her parents very well, but perhaps that's how Zuri is reacting to the lights, camera crew, and commotion.  Maybe she's just wanting to get off camera.  If I were Cary and Mark, I would keep Zuri off camera next season.  They're not coming off as nurturing involved parents.  Part of it is simply the unnatural setting, and I'm sure Mark and Cary work long hours so they're being filmed at odd hours.  And I'm not shaming Cary for being a working mother.  I hold Mark equally responsible for the disconnect I'm seeing in the edit.

Does Mark have children from his previous marriage?

I deeply dislike Mark & Cary but the options of either having a fake party or forgetting Zuri's birthday seem a bit harsh.  Can't they just have decided to have a small celebration since she's only three and has no idea about parties? How many other toddlers can be in her social circle?

• Love 1

It wasn't the small party that made me think that. With my kids, it's just us on the actual birthday and maybe 3-5 presents are opened. I have a party the following weekend, but even that is just family and one neighborhood friend. Our house is small and I am not paying to host dozens of people over here. 

At any rate, it was the way they were all interacting with each other. It felt forced and awkward to me. The child, especially, seemed to not really care to interact with her parents much. 

• Love 4
On 5/31/2016 at 3:16 PM, ghoulina said:

Wait, so Cary doesn't like gifts and Travis thinks his birthday should be a national holiday. Maybe Dr. Mark should switch partners with Stephanie. 

Cary is trying *so hard* to convince the world she isn't a gold digger.  And failing miserably.  And her creepy husband is trying *so hard* to be Terry Dubrow and is failing.   

Travis.  Holy hell, he's got one big face.  And how many times does he utter "Dude" in a day?  He seems to be in love with his wife though.  His love for her seems geniune unlike Dr. Creepy.

• Love 8

Hey Mark? If you have such a hard-on for chocolate cake, to the point of annoyance over a child's birthday cake, go to any supermarket with a bakery section and you will find chocolate cakes.

Whoever said the Deubers were Simon & Alex were spot on. They made such a big deal over buying clothing for Alex in St. Bart's. 

• Love 5
On 5/31/2016 at 8:26 PM, JennyMominFL said:

OK, um, as woman who has been HIV pos since 1990, I would like to know why leanne assumed those women were ashamed.  I may be misunderstanding, but why assume these women are ashamed, why assume they need to be told that they have worth, and aren't defined by HIV? Is it because they don't broadcast it. That might not be shame, it may before the protection of family. It's like she needed to go in there and "save" these women. She makes a lot of assumptions on how people feel when they live with HIV.

Yeah, I'm sorry but this whole thing bugs me. I sure don't need someone like Leanne to tell me what I'm worth.

ETA, and while this in no way justifies murder, one of  the cases of a woman being murdered for telling her status, was a case of her telling her status to the man she had been sleeping with for a long time without telling him her status. That's not right, but it's not like she was a random victim of HIV related hate

AMEN! As soon as she said "There embarrassed by it" I started shrieking at the tv........What a idiot. Just because you have HIV does make you "ashamed" any more then cancer or bi-polar or any other disease. What a ignorant bitch. Go learn how to put blush on and SHUT UP!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

AMEN! As soon as she said "There embarrassed by it" I started shrieking at the tv........What a idiot. Just because you have HIV does make you "ashamed" any more then cancer or bi-polar or any other disease. What a ignorant bitch. Go learn how to put blush on and SHUT UP!

But IRL there are women who ARE ashamed to be HIV+.  In the 90's that was VERY true, but even today there are some who are ashamed of it, afraid that people will think them "dirty."  There are still some ignorant folks out here.

In the early 90's, I used to take care of infants and children who were HIV+ and when I'd tell people that, they'd get this look like, "don't come near me."  One person asked me if I was afraid I'd contract HIV.  I told them that if HIV and AIDS were THAT easy to contract, everybody in NYC would probably be infected, so no, I wasn't afraid at all.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

But IRL there are women who ARE ashamed to be HIV+.  In the 90's that was VERY true, but even today there are some who are ashamed of it, afraid that people will think them "dirty."  There are still some ignorant folks out here.

In the early 90's, I used to take care of infants and children who were HIV+ and when I'd tell people that, they'd get this look like, "don't come near me."  One person asked me if I was afraid I'd contract HIV.  I told them that if HIV and AIDS were THAT easy to contract, everybody in NYC would probably be infected, so no, I wasn't afraid at all.

Certainly there are. I just disagree with automatically assuming someone is.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't think Mark wants to do Cary up or even do Cary, I think he wants to be Cary, like wear her like a beautiful Chanel coat.  Dude is too creepy for words and Cary is just not into him but is way into his money and status.  When they were in the OR with the other nurses it was cringe-worthy and I would have called sexual harassment on them if I was one of the nurses. UN-COM-FOR-TABLE! I also hate hearing every other word out of their mouths,"Babe", "Baby" "I love you" "I love you, too"  Geeezus! Give it a rest!  Also, Mark's spending seems out of control, even if he is a plastic surgeon.  Money is all relative and he is spending massive amounts on just clothing and accessories alone, not good. They want to live part time in Switzerland (because Mark is Swiss-I'm Irish and I don't have a need to live in Ireland, but whatever---HUGE eye roll) and that will not be cheap, by any means. Cary has jokingly alluded to the outrageous spending but I assume this will turn into real resentment sooner or later.

Travis gives me a "Sleeping with the Enemy" vibe.  He's does not seem abusive but damn he is waaaay too controlling but then again, I am not a person that can be controlled by anyone and my husband(and my parents) can thoroughly attest to that. LOL

Edited by raiderred1
  • Love 3
(edited)

These bitches are about to lose me.

Cary is too impressed with herself for my taste.  Quit complaining about your husband constantly buying you things.  Yeah, it's kind of weird but zip it.

Leanne doesn't bother me too much.  Her man seems relatively nice and normal.

Tiffany, eh.  Not!KeithUrban seems like a nice guy although I don't think we saw him.  Lord knows I can barely remember, this episode was so boring.

Stephanie is okay although that giggle has got to go.  Travis is okay and reminds me of someone that I can't put my finger on, so it drives me crazy.

Brian and Brandi are so done, they make Cynthia and Peter from RHOA look like the poster couple for marriage.  That botoxed Jesus Juice toting chipmuk still drives me insane.

No more 1920s themed/(-insert other theme here-) parties unless it's done right, please.

Edited by psychoticstate
Proper grammar helps

I just disagree with automatically assuming someone is.

Me, too, but we don't know that anything was automatically assumed on behalf of those women.

Travis is okay and reminds me of someone that I can't put my finger on, so it drives me crazy.

He reminds me of a cross between Josh Brolin and a young Pete Rose, but I'm thinking there's someone else, and yeah, it bugs.

• Love 2

Brian reminds me of someone I know and it is driving me crazy. My husband doesn't see anything about him that reminds him of anyone, so I am at a loss. Does anyone think he looks like someone famous?  He is quite homely, just sayin,. 

Heidi really wanted to start something with Cary, (she does not like her and knowing she broke up her friends marriage) making that crack about how Cary would be giving a "lesson" on a corn dog was such a rude move for a hostess.  

It was good to see Connie make the cross over to this show, I liked her on Dallas Diva show.  

Once again Leanne wore her crazy blush, what is with that?

How boring is it to get all dressed up in a some stupid theme costume then sit around with the same 20 people you see all the time, did I miss the cause? There was no music or entertainment, awkwardly quiet party.

• Love 1

Lazy butts didn't even take the gift out of the Amazon Prime box. Just wrapped it in the box it was mailed in.  

• Love 2