Type keyword(s) to search

Notorious - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Been seeing a few commercials for this and I'm guessing it's the same people who were responsible for the early marketing of Scandal because these spots reminds me so much of that show.

Julia George, producer of “Louise Herrick Live” (LHL), the number one cable news program in the country, learns internet mogul Oscar Keaton has been issued an arrest warrant for fleeing the crime scene of a hit-and-run. She wants the exclusive scoop on the high-profile story, and, during a live interview, it looks like she’s blindsiding the mogul’s lawyer and friend, Jake Gregorian. Meanwhile,  Julia must ensure the backstage antics of LHL’s brilliant host, Louise Herrick, don’t interfere with the show. She also needs to find an assignment for Ryan Mills, the son of the network president, who hopes to enlist junior law partner Ella Benjamin in his quest for getting ahead. Jake’s brother and law partner, Bradley Gregorian, takes on a blackmail case involving a politician, and LHL’s junior producer, Megan Byrd, receives surprising information about Julia’s fiancé.

Series Premiere

Is there such a thing as noxiously average? If not, credit Piper with its genesis. She doesn't bother me, neither is she interesting in any capacity. Can she at least try a new hair style or color once in her lifetime?

There's so much ultra twisty, gritty stuff out there now that "a fast-paced, grown-up mystery show with a hint of blandness" may hit the please-don't-make-me-think-right-now spot.

• Love 1

This sounds too dull and cookie-cutter-ish for me to allot any of my precious little tv-watching time, but then I made the mistake of Googling Daniel Sunjata, since I wasn't sure what I'd seen him in before. Upon which I discovered he is apparently a deep believer in a 9/11 conspiracy theory. Didn't need much encouragement to skip this anyway, but hard pass from me.

• Love 1

but then I made the mistake of Googling Daniel Sunjata, since I wasn't sure what I'd seen him in before. Upon which I discovered he is apparently a deep believer in a 9/11 conspiracy theory. Didn't need much encouragement to skip this anyway, but hard pass from me.

Being a 9/11 truther is the matzo ball hanging in the air when it comes to Daniel Sujnata. But he is not a bad actor, and has appeared in a few good things, most notably Rescue Me, The Bronx is Burning (where he portrayed my man Reggie Jackson), and The Dark Knight Rises.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1

Oh, Julia.   If you don't want your boss hounding you to go live on her show about your prostitute-frequenting federal judge ex-boyfriend ... don't tell her about it.   

I guess this show is interesting.   Deeply stupid ... but sort of interesting.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 4

I'll give it another shot, time permitting.

The sex scenes were squicky: the boy toy/cougar, the lawyer with his client's wife, and worst of all was the opening scene of lunch sex without so much as a handiwipe before trotting back to work. 

What I liked was the seemingly genuine agreement between the leads that they never lie to each other. 

I used to find Piper Perabo to be rivetingly attractive on screen, but not here.

I liked it. Brainless and fun, something I can watch before being traumatized by HTGAWM. I like Sunjata and Piper's friendship- hope they don't go there with changing that. I also liked seeing familiar faces, though it's unfortunate that they had to kill off Sarah already. I really enjoyed the actress on Greek and was hoping to see more of her. Plus it's always nice to see a fellow Indian on TV. 

• Love 3

Well, I didn't expect myself to enjoy this as much as I did. But I need a mindless entertainment show, and I guess this is it.

Anyone else suspect J August Richard's character, Bradley, as the killer of Sarah? He's just playing Bradley with some kind of fake sincerity to me. I'm not sure whether I'm reading into it, but his concern for Jake feels unnatural. 

I don't love any of the characters, but I don't outward hate any either. I guess there's something there with this show. I know that I'll hate this Ella/Ryan love thing. Aimee Teegarden is just a boring actress, and I'd actually be more entertained with Ryan and Louise. I liked Julia and Jake's friendship. It'll obviously turn romantic, but it's nice to see the friendship right off the bat. They're not hostile toward each other and they have clearly known each other for a few years. 

Whatever, I'm in it to turn my brain off before bed, and it has mildly interested me with the mystery aspect. It'll probably fall short on the revelations, but whatever. 

It's better than Quantico. Sad to see Riley Finn turn out to be a sleaze, but I kind of liked Julia's parting speech to him  about her forgetting him, but him never being able to forget her because of the secret she held....and then she blew it by almost giving that up within 24 hours. An awful lot of imdb checking for me, as I've seen the entire cast in other things.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I liked Julia and Jake's friendship. It'll obviously turn romantic, but it's nice to see the friendship right off the bat. They're not hostile toward each other and they have clearly known each other for a few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if it will be revealed that Jake, Bradley, and Julia were foster kids, adopted, or otherwise grew up together. The Ryan character grated but I assume he's supposed to. Sgt. Powell is likeable even though she's providing confidential police information to the producer of a sleazy "news" show. The less I see of Louise the better, unless she becomes something other than a oversexed caricature.

My eyes were rolling when Jake practically put a searchlight on that large bag of cocaine as he took it from the car and waved it around before handing it off to what's-her-name. "Has everyone gotten a clear photo yet, or do you need me to pause longer?"

Edited by lordonia

I expected to dislike this because I've heard not that great things but I did like it for the most part. Some of it was a bit much and slightly annoying (I knew Jake would sleep with Sarah and that was lame). In general though, I think I could keep watching if I don't pay too much attention.

Did not see the death coming and did not expect an ongoing story so interested to see where it goes.

But the oversexed chick needs to calm down and have a seat.

• Love 1

Boring and pointless.  Could not follow plot.  Did not care.  Gave up after 15 minute.  Will not be back.

I don't watch the other Shonda shows for the same reason.  They misrepresent what lawyers do and everyone talks too fast.  This covers up that there is a lack of continuity or sense in the plot, IMHO.

• Love 5

Other than being jealous of Louise and her much younger boy toys (I'm a woman, OK?), I was only mildly interested in this sleazy pilot.  Can't decide whether to stick with it.  Seeing as Thursday nights are sort of dull-TV night, I might.  Unless there's some fascinating true crime I haven't seen on ID.

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Boring and pointless.  Could not follow plot.  Did not care.  Gave up after 15 minute.  Will not be back.

I don't watch the other Shonda shows for the same reason.  They misrepresent what lawyers do and everyone talks too fast.  This covers up that there is a lack of continuity or sense in the plot, IMHO.

Yup.  Talking too fast is a bugaboo of mine, along with an unnecessarily fast pace.  Fast pacing is usually a cover-up for a plot full of holes -- if we aren't given time to think, we won't think.  Unrealistic dialogue is another pet peeve -- people just aren't that witty and quick with the comebacks.  I like ABC's sitcoms but haven't liked any of their dramas for a long time.  Too shiny, too many upscale beautiful people.

• Love 3

I like this well enough to keep with it until for awhile.  I like the witty shiny beautiful people and I actually do like the fast paced dialog.  I like the idea well enough as well.  Plus none of the main cast outright annoys me out of the gate.  This might be my empty calories fun show for the season.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, TimetoShine said:

I expected to dislike this because I've heard not that great things but I did like it for the most part. Some of it was a bit much and slightly annoying (I knew Jake would sleep with Sarah and that was lame). In general though, I think I could keep watching if I don't pay too much attention.

Did not see the death coming and did not expect an ongoing story so interested to see where it goes.

But the oversexed chick needs to calm down and have a seat.

Wow.  This is almost exactly what I was going to say.  Expected to hate it (and did for the first 10 minutes) and then started liking it.  I'm interested to see where it goes.

As Sarah's funeral approaches, Jake's feelings may be clouding his ability to defend and protect an out-of-control Oscar from the press. Julia wants to locate Sarah's brother and only living family, to give Sarah a voice as well as to get an exclusive scoop on an alleged family argument. Also, Jake takes on a baby kidnapping and the mother's appearance on LHL uncovers an unexpected lead. Meanwhile, Sean "Diddy" Combs drops by LHL to see his friend Louise Herrick

On September 23, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Anyone else suspect J August Richard's character, Bradley, as the killer of Sarah? He's just playing Bradley with some kind of fake sincerity to me. I'm not sure whether I'm reading into it, but his concern for Jake feels un

I thought they said that they were brothers. Checking IMDb, both characters have the same last name.

Julie Taylor is all grown up! I kind of miss her super-long hair from her Friday Night Lights days.

Not sure if J. August Richards or Daniel Sunjata said they were brothers, but they are. I listen to a podcast that had J. August on (he was great) and he said they were. I don't think that's a spoiler.

I watched this because there are people I like in it (not Piper Perabo; Hollywood is determined to make her happen and I find her SO BORING) but TBH I wasn't sure I'd like it. But it was better than I expected. I didn't see the wife's death coming.

Yes, I believe it was mentioned in-show that the two are brothers.

4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Not sure if J. August Richards or Daniel Sunjata said they were brothers, but they are. I listen to a podcast that had J. August on (he was great) and he said they were. I don't think that's a spoiler.

Not as bad as Bull, did still pretty awful.  Sunjata, Zeggers, and Guzman are downright laughable.  And the later two can act so I dont know what theyre going here.  

This would have worked, and I would have watched, on TNT or USA about six to seven years ago, but it doesnt cut it on broadcast in 2016.

• Love 2

This show is so freaking  contrived and I could almost guess what the plot twists were going to be.  But heck, this was fun eye candy, very fast paced with a complicated, unbelievable plot and I was very entertained for the hour.  I think Piper Perabo is gorgeous and Sunjata is handsome.  There are worse and boring ways to spend an hour of TV.  I'll keep on watching.  I am interested on how long they can maintain their momentum.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Suzy123 said:

Is it bad that I only watched this because I think Daniel Sunjata is gorgeous? 

No, it's the only reason I started watching Graceland until the stupidity got too much.

I enjoyed it. It's fluffy and silly and fun. I also like the chemistry between Perabo and Sunjata. They've got great chemistry so it seems natural that TPTB would play up a "will they, won't they" but maybe with the EP's being the real world inspiration, maybe they won't. 

13 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

No, it's the only reason I started watching Graceland until the stupidity got too much.

I enjoyed it. It's fluffy and silly and fun. I also like the chemistry between Perabo and Sunjata. They've got great chemistry so it seems natural that TPTB would play up a "will they, won't they" but maybe with the EP's being the real world inspiration, maybe they won't. 

I watched Graceland for that exact reason! Lol! I wish he would rock the beard/scruff in this show like he did for Graceland. 

On September 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM, stanleyk said:

This sounds too dull and cookie-cutter-ish for me to allot any of my precious little tv-watching time, but then I made the mistake of Googling Daniel Sunjata, since I wasn't sure what I'd seen him in before. Upon which I discovered he is apparently a deep believer in a 9/11 conspiracy theory. Didn't need much encouragement to skip this anyway, but hard pass from me.

Whoa, I did not know that! Daniel Sunjata is hot like fire, but that's a real turn-off.

This show wants credit for being edgy but not actually doing anything with it. Case in point, not having Ryan join a threesome with Louise and her boytoy. Everything about this show is derivative. It's substituting speed and "twists" for real development. And the lead performances are not compelling enough to be a guilty pleasure. Although I'm biased because I felt Sunjata became too much of a writer's pet in Graceland.

Poor Ryan Guzman, TV doesn't know how to use him correctly, or maybe it's the rare case of an actor who's more suited to film.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I'm not sure if what half of any of these characters are doing is legal, but I don't care. But, holy exposition! The last bit after the funeral was painful. I suppose they're intending this to be a dumb filler show, so they assume a recap by the characters at the end of the episode is needed.

Edited by LJonEarth
to make my english gooder
  • Love 2

Julia's assistant's sole job is dump exposition. The scene at the funeral was ridiculous. Don't you think the police know what it would look like to arrest a guy mid-eulogy?

This show is only better acting, writing, and directing away from being good.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, portfino said:

Julia's assistant's sole job is dump exposition. The scene at the funeral was ridiculous. Don't you think the police know what it would look like to arrest a guy mid-eulogy?

That was ridiculous. I can't imagine the cops ever arresting someone mid-eulogy. Either the evidence is so strong they do it before the funeral or they have a little respect and wait until he finishes talking. Did they think he was going to turn and run the second he finished talking?

I don't know who killed Sarah, but I have a feeling Jake's brother is involved. Because otherwise, what is the point of the character?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, portfino said:

This show is only better acting, writing, and directing away from being good.

15 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

That was ridiculous. I can't imagine the cops ever arresting someone mid-eulogy. Either the evidence is so strong they do it before the funeral or they have a little respect and wait until he finishes talking. Did they think he was going to turn and run the second he finished talking?

I don't know who killed Sarah, but I have a feeling Jake's brother is involved. Because otherwise, what is the point of the character?

Agreed, they either wait before or after.

Yeah, the arrest during the eulogy makes the cops look incompetent and insensitive. 

Jake's brother is involved, I'm sure of it. J August Richards is a great actor, but he's so stiff in this role. The brother also seems out of place. Having him be there for Jake and having Jake trust him just makes it a good twist. But definitely obvious.

I'm enjoying the show for what it is. Even if fake kidnapping mom was so stiff in her role. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Because otherwise, what is the point of the character?

That could be said of half the cast.

Also, why in the world would you fake kidnap your baby rather than just tell the parole board that your ex is threatening you? After all, the violent ex may blame you for the loss of the child.

This show could be saved if they just got rid of the leads. I'd watch something involving J August Richards, Sepideh Moafi, Ryan Guzman, Aimee Teagarden, and Kevin Zegers behind the scenes of Louise Herrick Live and her Hunk of the Week.

Edited by portfino

I've never started watching a new show that didn't get picked up for the season. So this will be my first. To my disappointment, its ratings started terrible last week and got worse this week. So I don't think I'll get the chance to see Jake and Julia hook up, because I expect the show won't survive that long. It's only week two and this show is already every tv pundit's best bet for cancellation.

In any case, Daniel Sunjata is the weakest link. He looks really good, but he isn't a strong enough actor to be co-lead. I'm thoroughly enjoying the soapiness otherwise, but Jake's version of a sad face is painful.

Also, I know this show isn't about tasteful people being tasteful, but jesus Jake, maybe don't announce that you had sex with your client's murdered wife the other night WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF HER COFFIN and surrounded by fellow mourners within hearing range at her funeral!

• Love 4

It's such a silly piece of fluff, but it's fun to half-watch while working out, because it requires little to no attention paid. I was impressed by the awkward way they managed to get Ryan Guzman half naked so soon! But that whole "mole in the office" thing was ridiculous because there is no tension when you don't know anyone who works there! The anchor is a cartoon, Julia is obviously not sending pics to herself, and the assistant is the one who announced the 'inside job". That leaves Ryan, simply because he's the only other worker we know who has a name.

• Love 5

Looks like more shirtless Ryan next week. Maybe I should attempt to check out the later Step Up movies just to see him...

Jake's brother does seem shady, but I'm trying to figure out why he would kill Sarah. Maybe Oscar's best friend is involved because he's lurking around.

• Love 1

I get a bad feeling from Ryan.  He's a little too ambitious and kind of stalker like towards Julia.  I mean, he had the audacity to crash in her office and made the place his bedroom without informing anyone.  By the way, if one had such a high position like Julia's, wouldn't one be smart enough to always make sure the door to the office be locked after hours?  Ryan could've been going through her stuff all night long.  Still that kid gets a free pass from Julia.  Well, I guess she has to because he is the son of her boss.  I don't trust Ryan.  My gut tells me he has something to do with the murder of Oscar Keaton's wife.

I was relieved that that poor woman who was missing her child was not some psycho publicity seeking medea.  I was glad Julia and Jake was able to help her out.  In that way it kind of makes me root for them a little knowing that they are not completely immoral.

11 hours ago, portfino said:

Also, why in the world would you fake kidnap your baby rather than just tell the parole board that your ex is threatening you? After all, the violent ex may blame you for the loss of the child.

So dumb! 

What was the point of Diddy? He just needed something to do, or what?

• Love 5