Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: My Big Fat Greek Threesome

• Start Topic

I think Danny doesn't understand that someone not saying no doesn't mean yes. Your tip being solid doesn't validate your antics- I thought the worst was when he ran up to the guest and told them he gets in trouble for being too friendly. The best I could think of him is that he's trying to get a bigger tip for himself, but I tend to think he's just off and it'll all come to a head one day when someone doesn't appreciate him enough. 

I'm enjoying this about as much as the original now. I like that the crazy one isn't a female crew member. I'm also enjoying watching Jen seem essentially the same and Bryan acting like she's stepped up. It's a slightly different flavor than the original, but not unpleasant. Good summer tv, imho. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:05 AM, Maharincess said:

The more I see the Captain's face the more I'm convinced that he was burned as a child.  Just the way his skin and eyebrows are, I've always thought that it looked like he had had skin graft kind of thing in his past.

I could be wrong of course but that's my opinion on it so I'm not comfortable making fun of it. 

Good observation on this.  I snarked on the Captain although I do think his lack of? eyebrows is something medically related (i.e. - alopecia or ...)  I will now lay off the snark.  On another note, I love the Captain's voice because he sounds just like the guy that does the Farmer's Insurance commercials (actor J.K. Simmons).  Now that I think of it they resemble one another a bit!  They look like they could be brothers.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3

I don't mind this crew at all...it's just Captain Lee that I'm missing.

P.S. Can't wait until BD Med gets its own topic. Anyone else forget to look under the original title?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I'm not really sure what more Hannah could have said to Danny.  She said he wasn't being professional when he kept talking to the guests.  If he doesn't know what that means, I'm not sure what else there is to say.  Further, Danny was even more out of line when he was telling the guest about how he got in trouble last trip with the Tilted Kilt girls.  If he can't understand that that is clearly over the line, then I'm not sure there's any hope he will eventually understand.

Exactly--but I didn't feel that in level of content it was much different from Ben's "advice," which Danny overdramatically praised as "constructive criticism," so basically to him constructive criticism comes from a guy who is not his supervisor who says somewhat general things wryly but with swear words in them, rather than from someone who either is his supervisor or is at least in more of a supervisory capacity who says just-as-general things more grouchily.  

Basically my gist is Danny's an idiot.

• Love 3

Second time I've asked WHY this show doesn't get it's own thread on the Forum page? Spin offs of every show get there own thread except for this one.

I've been "in service" all my life. Sometimes in very informal places and sometimes in 5 star places. Danny (in the real world) would be fired in a New York minute. You do NOT speak to the guests unless they ask you a question "Where's the bathroom" or something along those lines. When you do encounter them you just smile politely and say Hello. But this is REEL life........

• Love 8
(edited)

Danny seems to think that he's the only one responsible for the crew getting a large tip.  He creates moments or whatever.  Not that the meals being delicious, on time, would matter.  Or that the events or excursions planned went off without a hitch or that the stews went above and beyond.  Not that any other person on the crew went above and beyond.  I can't believe he's behaved this way on any other yacht.  The 5 star service is anticipating the needs of your guest and going above and beyond; it is not being the class clown, the extra buddy, the romeo, the shoulder to cry on for the guests.  And the service is not be noticed, just done without asking or begging for attention or applause.

If he really does behave this way in real life, someone sooner or later is not going to appreciate it at all, perhaps filing a complaint or charges against him.  He's way too needy and creepy.  That he cannot take any criticism is a bad sign.  A co-worker of mine got her ass chewed out but good for doing something wrong on a new process that is not even live.  There was nothing constructive about it, but she didn't cry and stomp and run away.  She sat there and did her job the rest of the day. (Now I think she should have complained to our boss, which I would have done, plus tell this asswipe he had no right to speak to me that way - which he did not).  Danny is very thin skinned and I think has real issues.

Edited by hoosier80
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Second time I've asked WHY this show doesn't get it's own thread on the Forum page? Spin offs of every show get there own thread except for this one.

I've been "in service" all my life. Sometimes in very informal places and sometimes in 5 star places. Danny (in the real world) would be fired in a New York minute. You do NOT speak to the guests unless they ask you a question "Where's the bathroom" or something along those lines. When you do encounter them you just smile politely and say Hello. But this is REEL life........

As I've said before, I asked people who post here in the Below Deck forum what they would prefer: Mediterranean to be its own forum or a sub-forum under the Below Deck forum.  I believe almost everyone voted "sub-forum", so that's what I did.  The site owner is working on a fix with the developers so that sub-forums within a forum show up as having new posts on the main page.  This takes time as we recently upgraded and there are a lot of fixes to be made.  You can always request Mediterranean to have its own forum in the "New Show Forum Requests" and all the current threads can be moved there.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

This is a very good point.  I have never been on a yacht like this.  I have been on many different cruise ships and one ocean liner.  On some of the ships I have been on, the people who are on the cruise director's staff do party with the guests.  The thing is, Danny is a deckhand, his job is to take care of the deck, not to socialize with the guests.  

If Danny continues this pattern, he will get into serious trouble.  Someone might bring a harassment charge against him.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, OnceSane said:

As I've said before, I asked people who post here in the Below Deck forum what they would prefer: Mediterranean to be its own forum or a sub-forum under the Below Deck forum.  I believe almost everyone voted "sub-forum", so that's what I did.  The site owner is working on a fix with the developers so that sub-forums within a forum show up as having new posts on the main page.  This takes time as we recently upgraded and there are a lot of fixes to be made.  You can always request Mediterranean to have its own forum in the "New Show Forum Requests" and all the current threads can be moved there.

I'm guessing those of us who want BDM to have its own forum didn't see the original post before a decision was made. And perhaps those who didn't care one or another, didn't realize that BDM would not show "new" posts on the main page. And now that we all can customize, having BDM as its own forum is more important than ever before. Hope the fix comes soon! ...or at least before the end of the season <wink, wink>

• Love 2
On 6/1/2016 at 9:38 PM, hilaryvm said:

I'm not really sure what more Hannah could have said to Danny.  She said he wasn't being professional when he kept talking to the guests.  If he doesn't know what that means, I'm not sure what else there is to say.  Further, Danny was even more out of line when he was telling the guest about how he got in trouble last trip with the Tilted Kilt girls.  If he can't understand that that is clearly over the line, then I'm not sure there's any hope he will eventually understand.

The fact that Danny can't understand that most people go on vacation to get away from work problems, not to hear about the work problems of strangers makes him a bigger dolt than I previously thought and I thought he was a dunderhead.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm guessing those of us who want BDM to have its own forum didn't see the original post before a decision was made. And perhaps those who didn't care one or another, didn't realize that BDM would not show "new" posts on the main page. And now that we all can customize, having BDM as its own forum is more important than ever before. Hope the fix comes soon! ...or at least before the end of the season <wink, wink>

AFAIK, the devs are still working on it.  I'll check with Dave (site owner) & see if there has been any progress with making new sub-forum posts show up as new posts on the home page (customized or not).

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/3/2016 at 0:04 AM, MsTree said:

You mean you don't post in forums while a show is on hiatus just to see if there's a poll about administrative setup issues?  I thought I was the only one :)

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 2

I get a Precious Boychild vibe from Danny.  My sister works at a summer camp that routinely hires international workers -- they're usually upper middle class college students who use it as a chance to come to the US for a few months, pocket some money, make connections, etc.  The work is not glamorous (cooking, laundry, setting stuff up and taking it down, etc.), but there's never any shortage of takers.

Inevitably, there's a guy from a patriarchal society who balks at basic chores like sweeping the floor, dismissing it as women's work/servants' work.  And she gets to give the "guess what -- here you ARE the servant, and your boss is a woman!" talk.  

I'm guessing that in addition to Danny's role as the breadwinner in the family (based on his father's incapacity), he's also King of the Castle.  He imagines himself to be a Benevolent King, but King nonetheless.  He's just awesome -- nobody's ever told him otherwise.  He's also a Nice Guy(TM) -- he'll be the first one to tell you!

It does seem to me that basic steps could have been taken to curb his boundary pushing.  "You work on the deck - you are not permitted in the salon or any other internal guest areas unless instructed for a specific purpose by Hannah.  You are not permitted on the guest areas of the deck unless specifically instructed to appear by Bryan, and while you're there you will do the task required, and then leave. You can speak to the guests as you help them into and off the boats/jetskis, or take their luggage from them.  If one approaches you in a non-guest area and wants to monopolize your attention (since he claims this is what always happens), after 30 seconds, you will fake receiving a walkie talkie message and excuse yourself.  Until you've proven you can follow these instructions, you won't participate in any guest/employee joint events - we will explain that you're occupied elsewhere."

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't get the impression that he is too good to work or better than anyone, I just think he is a crazy people pleaser who doesn't understand boundaries probably due to his dad's issues.

Edited by biakbiak

I get the impression that because he's been doing some heavy lifting for his family since he was young that he feels as if he's already paid his dues with regards to the work place and that he gets it when it comes to working for a living. I get the feeling that he feels like he's on equal footing with the others because he's got x amount of years of working under his belt so he shouldn't exactly be treated like a rookie. Sorta like when you start a job, even if it's not in the exact same field, you do at least have the work experience box checked, with work being the operative point. No matter what the industry just being able to have held a job gives you points and I think Danny believes that all of the years he's had to work gives him more validation in this particular job than it actually does. I get it cause just because I'm new to a job doesn't mean I don't know the basic concepts of having responsibilities. That part doesn't really need to be instilled in me anymore after 20+ years in the workforce. So it looks like Danny isn't too concerned with being guided and expects his judgment to be trusted cause "hey I'm a hard worker, I had to go out and make ends meet due to some serious circumstance so that just proves how much you can count on me". Now granted it is commendable that doesn't automatically mean that his judgment is sound or mature enough for his current situation and he is proving that BIG TIME. I'm also pretty disappointed that someone who stepped up the way he has for his family would still behave in such a disrespectful and immature manner especially for someone who knows what it means to hold on to a job. I would think someone in his circumstance wouldn't be so reckless with regards to the opportunity his about to throw overboard. That part really confuses me.

• Love 2