Type keyword(s) to search

Port Charles - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

So our discussion in the GH history thread last week about "Port Charles" and the possibility that Christina Baldwin/Collins/Coe/whatever might show up on "General Hospital" sent me to YouTube and I ended up watching stuff I either didn't see before or just forgot.  

Starting with this first clip, which is Christina's first birthday and, I believe, right before Julie kidnaps her.  For one, you would never see a rambling birthday party full of characters and vets like this on soaps these days.  And two, it's interesting seeing Lucy as the mother of a baby, it's not something we saw a whole lot of.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Everytime I see Nolan North on Pretty  Little Liars, I imagine that Spencer Hastings goes through so much shit because  she's  actually the daughter of Julie and Chris.  And Melissa Hastings is Serena.  Like, Chris found out about the vampires and ghost paintings, so Kevin was like "Take the kids, but you're going to have to be someone else."  And Mrs. Hastings drinks so much to forget.  It makes the show better for me.  Whew.  Been keeping that in for 6 years.   It's also why Lucy went crazy/thought McBain was Caleb a few years ago.  She misses her daughters and doesn't know they're in Rosewood.   

This is random but I've been watching honeyphan port Charles they just uploaded.Anyways there was a scene around the nurses strike where Serena asks Lucy if she can skip school to vist Neil and Lucy says no one of the reasons was because her and Scott were always playing hooky lol.

Anyways Serena skips school but it is so weird hearing Lucy ground Serena and tell her she broke the rules and needed to pay the consequences.I guess I'm used to soap kids these days whatever.

• Love 2
(edited)

Fun story about Lucy's dress in that clip:

GH's costume designer, Bob Miller, had been saving the fabric for that dress for 30 years, waiting for just the right occasion. He decided that was the right occasion. Lynn told that story in an interview once. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Another thing that's awesome in PC canon and bad in GH canon is that Kevin and a character played by Kimberlin Brown were Livvie's parents.   Can you imagine how much more awesome GH would be?  There were great scenes before vampire stuff came into play with JL/KB/KeMo.   So yeah, Kevin hooked up with Sheila.  

Oh yeah yeah.  She raised Livvie as her own child, so she believed Rachel- KB's character was her mother.  It turns out that Kevin and his late fiancé Grace, Rachel's sister, were her parents.   The reveal and Livvie's intro was really great too because she actually went to Kevin for therapy having no idea, hell Kevin had no idea.  If they'd retconned the supernatural stuff, Livvie would've been a way better character than Sam imo.  I think she went to therapy because she was terrified of water.   Grace drowned while pregnant with her.  

• Love 1

Yeah I don't know what the orginal concept with KB character was.Watching old port Charles eps in 1999.I think she was connected to DV who for some reason wanted to break up Lucy and Scott even after DVs shooting exit.It never made a lot of sense lol.

Kevin had a fiancé named Grace that died while they were in a car crash.  (This was on GH. Always part of his character.). KB played her sister, Dr Rachel Locke.  She came as a psychiatrist to investigate or something with the GH Serial Killer, which was Julie Devlin manipulated by Greg Cooper.  She hated Kevin because she blamed him for Grace's death.    Livvie came to PC looking for her, angering Rachel.  She befriended Dr Chris Ramsay and Lucy.  Kevin started giving Livvie private therapy sessions and then Rachel complained to the board that he was being inappropriate with a young girl.  Lucy had a brain and figured out she was his kid.  She did a DNA test and proved it.  Kevin then realized Rachel wasn't her mom- Grace was.  Rachel did some evil shit, like experiment on patients and kill them.  She put Kevin in a coma and injected Lucy with a drug making her infertile.  Mac saved them before Rachel could kill them.  Rachel is now in a coma, in an institution.  Livvie was afraid of water, I think.  Why I remember this, I don't know.  But do you recognize any of these plots?;)

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

She [Rachel] put Kevin in a coma and injected Lucy with a drug making her infertile.

Poor Lucy!  Is this what led her and Scotty to adopt Christina?

I've been watching early episodes of "Port Charles" and I had forgotten or maybe wasn't watching then when Lucy was briefly pregnant with Kevin's baby (she found out in the first episode of the series), which she sadly later miscarried.

Nope.   Actually, Julie gave birth to her, went to Ferncliff (I think where Rachel is actually), Chris took his namesake and put her in the care of a hooker, who took Christina to the Nurse's Ball- that is where Lucy saw her and fell in love with her.  She and Scott- who she was married to at the time- fostered and then adopted her.  After they divorced and Lucy married Kevin, he became Christina's stepdad.  So, he technically in actual true canon Kevin has one biological daughter and two stepdaughters because Serena and Christina were on PC and referred to him as such.  Ron and Guza really screwed up because Livvie could've been recast now and they could've waived the vampire bs away.  

After although they was always hinting that Lucy had problems with carrying a baby to term.They always claimed the most ironic thing was the one child Lucy could could carry to term was the one that wasn't hers biologically.

• Love 2

With all the rumors over the years about seeing a grown-up Christina Baldwin/Collins/Coe/whatever on "General Hospital", it was interesting to find this clip where Lucy - who's grief stricken over Christina's kidnapping - imagines being with the adult Christina at her wedding.  It's also a good reminder than Lynn Herring can do more than just be Wacky Lady:

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's also a good reminder than Lynn Herring can do more than just be Wacky Lady:

She's had a lot of good material to show that in the past, just unfortunately not much in the recent present since she was brought back a few years ago.

• Love 1

She's had tiny moments here and there - her reaction to Rafe's death, that one monologue she had during her affair with Scotty, even her reaction to seeing Laura and Kevin together a while back - but yeah, I don't think they'll ever write her a more serious, dramatic storyline like this again.

They aren't writing serious, dramatic story lines for anyone, really. The whole tenure of the show has changed. I'm glad it's not doom and gloom all the time, as it used to be, but it's a shame they don't include at least one deeply written story every year. That's a big reason people watch soaps: They have the time and space to dig into things. It doesn't have to be a hot-button issue. Just write a story and give us genuine depth and followthrough. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And thinking about it, it was actually pretty ballsy that "Port Charles" kept Christina kidnapped for a while.  It was like a year or two before Lucy got her back, right?

Yes I personally hated the whole Christina story.I found Lucy insufferable at times.

Although LH was good in it.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 1

I actually liked her a lot with Thorsten Kaye.  I thought they had chemistry.   I know, I know.  But they were kinda hot together.  I also really liked Allison/Jamal.   Rafe?  Meh.  Allison/Caleb?  Yes.  ME was a chemistry magnet on that show tbh.  He even had a cool kind of chemistry in scenes with LH and JL.   He had this enigma around him.  Literally, the hottest love scene on any soap imo was the "Your Sweet Olivia" scene.

In light of Peter Hansen's passing, I went looking for this episode of "Port Charles" that I watched a while back.  It hints at the big role the Baldwin family as a whole played in the early days of that show.  It's a little awkward because Karen figures out that Lee pulled some strings to get her her internship, which put her in the crosshairs of that psycho intern in the premiere.  But awww, Lee just wanted his granddaughter to live nearby so he could get to know her!  Lee (and Gail) are exactly the kind of patriarch and matriarch "General Hospital" proper is missing these days.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Yes I miss patriarchs like this.Its shocking how the Baldwins were written for at least in the first couple of years of port Charles.

I do hope they do mention Lee's death or do a little something for it in his honor even though I'm afraid it will be about Franco.

(edited)

Watching more "Port Charles" to get ready for Serena's "General Hospital" visit/because "General Hospital" sucks and it is sooo good.  This section in time where Lucy's with Scotty and Kevin's with Eve, but they're all kinda one big extended family is fascinating to me.  I had forgotten/never knew that Kevin was Christina's godfather!  And Chris/Julie are also great as antagonists you can actually sympathize with.

Anyway, here's Julie blowing Lucy's world apart by telling her she's Christina's birth mother.  It's quite soapy:

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think I've said this before, but "Secrets" was far and away my favorite of the "books" the show did.  I liked all three of the angels - Paige/Orbitz Girl, Amy, and Casey - and how the show integrated them and the story really drove towards a suspenseful ending because we had no idea who was going to end up in the fifth chair.

Here's part one of the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxT4cRDD90A

Edited by TeeVee329

I don't remember what I thought about them at the time - as I said in the news thread, I kinda bounced in and out of the ABC soaps during this time - but it definitely has the feel of, "Well, Lucy's with Scotty now, Kevin's our other male lead, Eve's pretty much the secondary female lead and doesn't have a pairing, let's go with them!".

• Love 1

I was livid at the time. Livid. I loved Scott and Eve, and Kevin and Lucy were god tier to me. You don't fuck with them. I had very little history with Scott as I'd started watching right as he was about to leave in '93, so Scott and Lucy didn't mean much to me (and still don't tbh, outside of their great friendship - I can't get down with them romantically).

• Love 5

I mostly agree. I got to like them as a couple on PC - I remember crying when they divorced after Christina was kidnapped - but I think of Scott and Lucy as soulmates in the Best Friends sense, not the romantic True Love sense. Like Joey and Dawson (only, you know, not teeth-grindingly irritating. My apologies, Scotty, for comparing you to Dawson Leery. Trust that I like you much better, even when you're ridiculous), while Kevin was her Pacey.

I feel like I lost track of this comparison. It must have been the word "soulmates" that led me down this path. ANYWAY, Lucy and Scott were awesome friends, who really understood each other, but I think they were really too much alike to work as a couple. Kevin provided a good contrast. (I don't remember how I felt about Eve, with either guy or on her own.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of Eve, did they ever Go There with Eve and Chris?  I know they were never a couple couple, but did they ever sleep together?  I loved their friendship - they were actually a little Lucy/Scotty in that sense.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1