Type keyword(s) to search

Season 17 (2016): Summer is Coming

It sounds like the season was intended to be full-length (at 55 days it's the shortest civilian season ever; last season was 66, the one before was 72) with CBB delayed until after the Olympics (because even ignoring the London connection, the 2012 season got hammered in the ratings against it; the episode that aired opposite the closing ceremony is still the lowest rating BB episode ever), but the combination of the terrible reaction the cast got and the Others twist being ruined early is what caused them to change their mind. I have no idea why they're starting CBB early though, especially when the summer CBB typically performs worse than the civilian season, and when this season is doing much better than the last two civilian seasons did.

It seems as if the plan was to keep the Other House for another couple of weeks (with so much buildup and so much money spent on it, they can't have seriously been planning to use it for only 11 days), but when they ditched it early they just cut those weeks from the schedule rather than create some tasks on the fly to fill up the time. It's possible whatever they have planned might be recycled into either of the upcoming CBBs, but there's no way to know for sure.

9 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

It sounds like the season was intended to be full-length (at 55 days it's the shortest civilian season ever; last season was 66, the one before was 72) with CBB delayed until after the Olympics (because even ignoring the London connection, the 2012 season got hammered in the ratings against it; the episode that aired opposite the closing ceremony is still the lowest rating BB episode ever), but the combination of the terrible reaction the cast got and the Others twist being ruined early is what caused them to change their mind. I have no idea why they're starting CBB early though, especially when the summer CBB typically performs worse than the civilian season, and when this season is doing much better than the last two civilian seasons did.

It seems as if the plan was to keep the Other House for another couple of weeks (with so much buildup and so much money spent on it, they can't have seriously been planning to use it for only 11 days), but when they ditched it early they just cut those weeks from the schedule rather than create some tasks on the fly to fill up the time. It's possible whatever they have planned might be recycled into either of the upcoming CBBs, but there's no way to know for sure.

Since most of the cast of the "civilian" season are actually minor celebrities (hell, even Hughie is a minor celebrity now that he's been on the show), I wonder whether any of them will be "recycled" for the upcoming celebrity version.  It would be like what Survivor and the US version of BB do all the time.

So this thread kinda died. :(

I guess I should be annoyed at how someone can be in the house for 48 days and not get an exit interview, but given the players involved... eh. It's not like they'd have had anything interesting to say.

I'm torn on the end result of this season. On the one hand, I think it's hard to deny that pretty much every eviction this season went the best way possible, and we do have a strong final six. On the other hand, Marco was the only man to get booted in a standard eviction, and I'm not sure finally getting rid of the female-first-boot cliche is worth a season with such a strong anti-woman bias otherwise.

I'm just astounded that Jason is even a finalist.   Mopey Dick deliberately isolated himself from the other housemates after he booted Lateysha (alienating all of said housemates except for Andy) and then threatened to walk THREE times last week before finally doing so (Wikipedia even listed him as having permanently walked on Day 41).  Emma got kicked out for less, so why wasn't he?

Hughie to win!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm just astounded that Jason is even a finalist.   Mopey Dick deliberately isolated himself from the other housemates after he booted Lateysha (alienating all of said housemates except for Andy) and then threatened to walk THREE times last week before finally doing so (Wikipedia even listed him as having permanently walked on Day 41).  Emma got kicked out for less, so why wasn't he?

Hughie to win!

Jason even damaged the set the other night from his insane raging and they still kept him. 

I want Hughie to win too.

• Love 1

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that the show gave Mopey Dick a pass because Hughie's been running away with the public vote and the producers wanted to stir up some drama with Mopey and Andy in order to make it seem like less of a coronation on Tuesday when Hughie wins.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2016 at 1:23 PM, legaleagle53 said:

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that the show gave Mopey Dick a pass because Hughie's been running away with the public vote and the producers wanted to stir up some drama with Mopey and Andy in order to make it seem like less of a coronation on Tuesday when Hughie wins.

The real conspiracy is how Mopey won over Hughie. :(

• Love 2

I don't get why they don't at least TRY a BB American-style season with an HoH and HM's scheming, strategizing and voting for evictions themselves. The British public can still vote on twists.

20 minutes ago, TimWil said:

I don't get why they don't at least TRY a BB American-style season with an HoH and HM's scheming, strategizing and voting for evictions themselves. The British public can still vote on twists.

Do you really WANT to see the kind of backstabbing, paranoia, and rigged gameplay that have made the US version a byword for trash TV there? There's a reason that the UK has never adopted that format.

• Love 1