Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Billboard Music Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

See what I mean? Khalid is a big ball of nothing. Normani? Aww shit. She was lip-syncing but she was giving it to me, though. Gone head, baby. I know y’all were glad that fake performance worked out. 

Ugh, John Legend. Is this the Billboard Awards of Essence Fest? Heh, Brett Young knows this song. He kinda seems like a big ball of nothing, too, but that makes me like him a little bit. 

No the hell he aint sexy, Kelly. Stop lying.

Edited by 27bored
(edited)

Rebel Wilson is great.

Nick Jonas seems like he works harder on his body than he does on his music. I’m just saying. Dude is yoked, but when’s the last time a song of his gave you life? 

I...kinda can’t  believe Chainsmokers won another award too. That fifteen minutes isn’t up yet.

Okay, I’m here for all the hollering, but Demi  leave the low notes to Christina, and stop over shooting your voice. This is an interesting song with bad production. It should be more haunting than histrionic. And I was a little disappointed those coats didn’t come off, but I remembered the lyrics. Not great, but that’s my baby so I have to forgive her. I want her to practice it a few more times

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don’t get BTS. It’s like fifteen of them and every time I see them people are going crazy. Like, I don’t even understand what they’re saying. 

I like Ed Sheeran, but he’s reaching the point of oversaturation. It’s like having a talented young guy busking right outside your job and like two or three times a week he’s standing singing his songs of love and devotion. Ed, take the year off and think which mathematical symbol you’re going to name your next album.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 2

The one good thing I can say about Jennifer Lopez is that she's really great at marketing. Mediocre singer, dancer, actor but managed to convince people she is good at anything.

• Love 7
(edited)

Oh, DJ Khaled. You anti-cunnilinguist you.

Woow, really J. Lo? So you just gonna do the Nuyorican version of Bitch Better Have My Money in my face? Of course Cardi is on this song. I mean, this is so Rihanna-fied, I cant even...

This is like Blurred Lines Pt II.

Kelly, shut up! Real soon, y’all. LOL.

TI? Uh, they let you leave the state even though you on papers? Dang.

You know what’s funny? If Post Malone was a heavy set white chick, he and 21 Savage would make a cute couple, in a domestic-incident-on-COPS sort of way.

Prayers and blessings to kids in the school shooting in Santa Fe, TX. Why is it that every time an awards show has to have a Captain Planet moment they have to get Khalid? I’m surprised they didn’t get Logic up there to do a freestyle. 

Edited by 27bored
(edited)

Maren Morris and her stank face. I love that Maren tends to dress like a Thot-pocket Just Because. She has a cute shape, but this song works because of how de-sexualized it is compared to most pop songs. Maybe wear pants and what girls would call a cute top next time, Maren?

Dang, Mila Kunis with the Mom bob. Weird seeing her not hot. 

Taylor has such an adult woman voice. She sounds like she’s been through it.

Edited by 27bored

Hey Bruno. Why do you have sunglasses on indoors? 

One thing I have to say about Janet Jackson is that she’s always managed to look sexy in a womanly way. I’ve never gotten the female female impersonator thing from her. Except now.

Did Janet get work done up about the eyes? The one drawback with Janet: I dare y’all to tell me what she’s saying. And I hate when females perform in what essentially a big shirt. Come on, Janet! That is the source, baby. 

40 minutes ago, argrow said:

The one good thing I can say about Jennifer Lopez is that she's really great at marketing. Mediocre singer, dancer, actor but managed to convince people she is good at anything.

LOL I was literally thinking the same thing during her performance.

I only tuned in for Fall in Line by Christina Aguilera feat. Demi Lovato. Really enjoyed it but the staging was weird. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dude. Body Like A Back Hoe won? Ugh. 

Now Macklemore and Kesha. Two artists who started off a punchlines and turned into respectable artists. I will say, they seem like nice people. It’s nice to hear Kesha on key. Her performances of Praying have been a little problematic, to say the least.

4 minutes ago, UYI said:

Janet Jackson forever. 

And once again for those in the back:

FUCK YOU, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE! 

Lol. Janet got the last laugh. Justin’s Super Bowl performance was widely panned and so was his latest album, that barely went Gold.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1

Oh, so Kelly is performing? Eh. She should’ve done “Move You”. But Kelly can sing, though. Even if this sounds like deep album cut from a Meghan Trainor album.

Heh, hey Simon. Pharrell always seems like he’s in a competition with Kanye to see who can be weird, corny, and desperate for attention. 

I like this song, but My problem with Camila is she keeps doing these “pop star” songs when I’m not really sure she’s that “good” yet. I need verification she’s a good-at-singing person before I accept these slinky, five-note songs about her punana or whatever she’s moaning about it.

I keep wondering who’s the male model they keep panning to, but then I remember it’s Derek Hough. So, he’s A Thing now?

(edited)

Andy Cohen? I’m not trying to be mean, but who are you looking at? Aww man. Camila won for Hosanna Punana.

Love you, Kelly.

Man, I’m tired of B2Korean, y’all. BeijiNSYNC is not giving me life, not even with the trap rapping. I’m happy little Asian girls, and grown women and gay men, have a boy band to cheer for, since 1D is defunct, but come on. Why does it seem like they multiply and subtract on stage? They go from 5 to 7 to 6 back to 7. I don’t get it.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 5
(edited)

Really wish Patrick Stewart had been the one to introduce "Salt N PEPA!!!"

ETA: En Vogue cut out the "I want to have your baby" line from "What a Man"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Okay, I was wondering why Tyra was here. 

Ed? I know it’s your thing, but you can’t brush your hair when you get on TV? I’m just saying. Look like you have a mama that cares about you always looking like you rolled out of bed late for school.

Oh, Salt-N-Pepa. Back when rap was fun party music. Remember when En Vogue used to sing? Like, in a good way? Aww, Kelly! I want Kelly to host everything always. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, UYI said:

No Free Your Mind from En Vogue? Damn, that sucks. 

I agree. I would’ve wanted to hear Don’t Let Go but that probably would’ve been too heavy for the show closer.

• Love 3

I don't understand why so many people are trying to make a Korean boy band happen in the US. This has been going on for a couple of years now. There are segments of the population who listen to K-pop and J-pop but not enough to really make them any kind of mainstream success.

I want to take a lawn trimmer to Tyra's sleeves.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MsTree said:

When did Janet Jackson become Asian?

I love me some Janet Jackson, but this was not her best on the stage. I noticed it with Christina and Demi, too. Just bad staging going on throughout the whole performances. 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Bees52 said:

I'm just glad those girls can stop screaming so shrilly at just the mention of BTS. The guys are cute but....yikes.

Just don’t get in their way. They take anything that’s not 1000% praise as a slight. I saw comments on the Dick Clark’s Rockin New Years Eve show Facebook posts and they were crazy. “YOU DIDN’T SHOW THEM LONG ENOUGH! YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD THEM ON EARLIER! THEY SHOULD HAVE PERFORMED TWICE! THEY ARE THE BEST AND SHOULD HAVE TAKEN UP THE WHOLE SHOW!” It was nuts. 

4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I love me some Janet Jackson, but this was not her best on the stage. I noticed it with Christina and Demi, too. Just bad staging going on throughout the whole performances. 

Yeah, I felt like I could only really see Janet during the last half of the performance. She kept dancing in that cage contraption and they’d show part of her, or the back of her head, and it was just really poor blocking. The cage thing didn’t really add anything, anyway. It’s not like she was Paula Abdul dancing to “Cold-Hearted Snake” back in the day.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1

When did Janet Jackson become Asian?

Yeah, those closeups weren't doing her any favors. She might want to start easing up on the plastic surgery and whatever else she's doing to her face. She's definitely getting the tell-tale pulled-back look. She's too young for that nonsense.

(But otherwise, there's nothing wrong with looking Asian if in fact, you are.)

• Love 3

Yeah, I’ve heard more people say the staging was bad. 

I re-listened to Fall In Line and it ugh, it sounds a little worse than I thought. It’s just so disappointing. And In hindsight, the song kinda blows too. Christina has had this ugly duckling, underdog syndrome thing since she was 21. This is a song for Pink or Lorde or Halsey or Alessia Cara or somebody like that. Not for diva bitches like Christina and Demi.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, those closeups weren't doing her any favors. She might want to start easing up on the plastic surgery and whatever else she's doing to her face. She's definitely getting the tell-tale pulled-back look. She's too young for that nonsense.

(But otherwise, there's nothing wrong with looking Asian if in fact, you are.)

It wasn't the plastic surgery, but that ponytail hairpiece she supported throughout the whole ordeal. I know she worn weaves and wigs through most of her career, but that hairstyle was a big no for someone in their 50s. At least the 80s, 90s, and parts of early 00s hairdos she had were much better than this mess. Someone who dressed her must have hated her.

Edited by Robert Lynch

Kelly Clarkson would so much better if she didn't try to glam herself up so much with the blonde hair and tight dress.  She looks like a wannabe skank but can't carry it off.  She's got a natural, girl next door look and I think she should stick with that. 

• Love 2

Ok, I admit it....I liked Taylor Swift's opening number...all pastel, bubblegum colors & swinging from umbrellas...very catchy tune....And Kelly Clarkson always raises the roof, but I agree with OhWell, the dyed blonde hair & tight dress that did her no favors...she needs to stick to a "girl next door" look...

• Love 1

I'm a bit confused why they'd close the show with a woman whose musical popularity was for a brief period in the late 80s/early 90s and who was clearly lip syncing basically everything. 

She can dance but that performance felt like something that should go in the middle instead of the end.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is purely a guess, but I think it's probably because this year is the 30th anniversary of her chart success with Forever Your Girl, which did have a LARGE number of number one/top five/top ten hits (and at the end of the day, the BBMAs are specifically about chart success). The album itself actually came out in 1988, but the singles didn't take off until a year later, when DJ's started spinning the specific songs they liked on the radio--the old fashioned-way!

(In all seriousness, though, this is how "Straight Up" became a number one hit as opposed to "The Way That You Love Me"--there was a major radio station--a San Francisco station, IIRC--that started spinning the former song over the latter, and her ascent to the top of the charts began.)

I actually JUST missed being born when "Straight Up" was the number one song in America. I was born the week after, when it was replaced by Debbie Gibson's "Lost in Your Eyes", lol. 🙂 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
(edited)

I am a big fan of Taylor Swift. I started out not being particularly impressed, but years ago I saw her being interviewed and couldn’t help but think what an intelligent young woman she was.  I’ve been a fan ever since.

Ariana Grande...everything about her screams spoiled, entitled little brat. Her song didn’t help.

I love Tori Kelly.

Loved seeing Justin Hartley. He’s just adorable.

Madonnna, Madonna, Madonna.....the eyepatch? And I never thought she could dance. But she sure looks good. And I did like the “illusions”.

Paula Abdul’s age is showing...not the dynamo she used to be. Still pretty incredible, though.

Edited by Marci

This is trending on Twitter and I am DEAD.

(For context: Beyonce headlined Coachella last year, so it was nicknamed Beychella. The Netflix documentary Homecoming, which follows and depicts that performance, was just released. Hence this new hashtag.)

4 hours ago, Marci said:

I am a big fan of Taylor Swift. I started out not being particularly impressed, but years ago I saw her being interviewed and couldn’t help but think what an intelligent young woman she was.  I’ve been a fan ever since.

Ariana Grande...everything about her screams spoiled, entitled little brat. Her song didn’t help.

I will admit that I have a love-hate relationship when it comes to Taylor Swift and her celebrity/music. However, if I could get plastic surgery to look like any other celebrity, it would be her (especially her eyes--mine are bigger and less cat-like than hers). I am her age, but I'm much shorter, much less thin, and much more busty (as opposed to leggy). It's hard not to feel ugly and inadequate compared to her. Sigh. 😢 

I actually really like Ariana. I think she handled the aftermath of the explosion that occurred at her concert in Manchester two years ago exceptionally well, and I do like her voice and music a lot. She can be a bit over the top, but I think she means well. However, I know how unpopular that is here, so I'll stop before I get in trouble, lol. 🙂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Fyi, you messed up your quoting. I did not post the comment you attributed to me.

Sorry, I copied it from your post, which I now see was a year ago, where you quoted the person saying it.

• Love 2

I don't watch award shows but I was hoping to come here and see what everyone thought of Madonna. From the few clips I saw it looked sad. I'm always fascinated to see how pop stars reinvent themselves. I'm still waiting for Taylor Swift to surprise me...