Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On tonight's new one, Addition Condition, the Mid-Century Modern looks nice, except for that ridiculous blue and white back splash in the main house kitchen. 

I see that we are all in agreement about that backsplash! I thought it looked awful. I mean, points for trying something new I guess, but the weird blue and white design was just so random and out of place.

It always kills me when they cover up an existing pool. I understand the economics of repairing it versus filling it in, but you'd think a pool would add a lot more value to a house than a stupid putting green. 

• Love 3

The backsplash looked like it was installed wrong. Agree about the putting green - I felt like I was baking myself just watching Hipster Tarek put.

The more this show goes on, the more I feel like Tarek could carry the show himself. Christina needs more to do besides bringing the gray and white backsplash, floor and cabinet choices.

I like Izzy but where is Jeff ?

• Love 8

I agree, Tarek does all of the work.    But I bet the talent contracts for T & C require they both film, because the show is done by their remodeling company.     However, Christina is looking more frail with every episode, so I'm wondering if she'll drop out eventually?     I enjoyed when Tarek flipped with his friend Robert.    I'm hoping that eventually it will turn into the Jeff/Tarek show.    The one time Tarek used another decorator, it was awful.  

• Love 3

I think many of us enjoy the snarky banter between them. 

Yeah, Christina teeters in wearing her spike high heels carrying more lovely gray and white samples. 🥱 Yawn  

I’ve never known anyone who purchased a home because the shampoo insert in the shower was fancy.

Give me larger closets over an overly decked out mega shower any day. 

That blue and white backsplash was absolutely horrible. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, answerphone said:

I think many of us enjoy the snarky banter between them. 

Yep, that's the big appeal for me, too. 

I was amazed when C. came in with something really different for the backsplash and T. agreed to use it. It didn't look 'mid-century' to me, though, and neither did those Craftsman-type dark green tiles she brought along as alternatives.

I can't imagine wanting a rental attached to a house like that, but good for T&C that they know how to gauge the market. I don't think they mentioned what such a rental could expect in income. Hope it was at least $2500/month, otherwise, $855K (offered) for a 1500 sq.ft., one bedroom house with a concrete backyard? Somebody's going to regret making that deal, methinks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I can't imagine wanting a rental attached to a house like that, but good for T&C that they know how to gauge the market. I don't think they mentioned what such a rental could expect in income. Hope it was at least $2500/month, otherwise, $855K (offered) for a 1500 sq.ft., one bedroom house with a concrete backyard? Somebody's going to regret making that deal, methinks.

In my area that would be marketed as a mother-daughter house.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I suspect in the price range on this house, that the ADU won't be rented, but it will be the live-in nanny's place.   Or a relative will live there.    The sale prices still surprise me, and the profits, but especially the rental prices for a converted garage.  

• Love 2

My DVR recorded 2 new show last night.  In the first one I watched they removed the laundry room next to the kitchen.  Overall it looks a lot better but I kept wondering if they put a washer and dryer back in somewhere.  They never showed one.  They basically reconfigured the whole house, but no washer and dryer?  Or did I just miss it.  The house ended up selling for $790,000, even with a cracked driveway so I suppose it doesn't matter. 

• Love 4
On 1/8/2022 at 12:16 AM, answerphone said:

Give me larger closets over an overly decked out mega shower any day. 

I’m always amazed that in a $1.5 million dollar house the closets are the mirrored door, minimum size I grew up with in a raised ranch in Foxboro, MA.  Don’t people who can spend that much money on a house want a walk in closet?

• Love 7
On 1/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, aquarian1 said:

My DVR recorded 2 new show last night.  In the first one I watched they removed the laundry room next to the kitchen.  Overall it looks a lot better but I kept wondering if they put a washer and dryer back in somewhere.  They never showed one.  They basically reconfigured the whole house, but no washer and dryer?  Or did I just miss it.  The house ended up selling for $790,000, even with a cracked driveway so I suppose it doesn't matter. 

That's not the only house where they seem to have deleted the laundry room, or laundry hookups on a house.    

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That's not the only house where they seem to have deleted the laundry room, or laundry hookups on a house.    

Right, which seems insane. I cant imagine someone who can afford an expensive house, schlepping to the laundromat. Flipping 101 had a house that didn't have a dishwasher  !

Edited by Chris Knight
  • Love 2

I doubt they eliminated a laundry area. My guess is that they relocated a washer/dryer to a closet and added stackables. The reason they probably didn't show it is because something like that doesn't make an impression (which is the object of the show), so they probably don't want to waste time showing it.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

I doubt they eliminated a laundry area. My guess is that they relocated a washer/dryer to a closet and added stackables. The reason they probably didn't show it is because something like that doesn't make an impression (which is the object of the show), so they probably don't want to waste time showing it.

Maybe even to the garage! 

• Love 2

The house this week certainly had a lot of rot.   I think it was smart to sell the house as a 3 bedroom, with that huge walk in closet.   I don't understand why they don't use bigger shower tile, and bathroom floor tile, it would save on labor and time.    It had a bunch of offers, and sold well above asking.   I hated the fireplace after they tiled it.   I think it would have looked fine painted to match the wall.  

These houses are obviously from Tarek's buy anything company (Pete de Best is a partner in that too).    It's certainly more entertaining to see the wrecked houses, but the prices they buy them for still amaze me, and the multiple offer sales prices.   The multiple bidding situations are bizarre.   The one last week had 18 offers on it.  

Another thing that surprises me is that when they show a longer shot, the neighborhoods on some of these houses look very sketchy.      I question resale for some of the trendy flip houses.  I bet five years from now when the trends change, and if the neighbors don't spruce up their houses, that the resale will not be great.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I think they could have painted that fireplace white, and then painted the protruding bricks a different color. That would have looked fine. I'm sick of covering fireplaces with tile. I just don't think tile belongs in a living room. 

$980K for that tiny house. Wow. I wish I could just pick up my house and move it to SoCal.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think they could have painted that fireplace white, and then painted the protruding bricks a different color. That would have looked fine. I'm sick of covering fireplaces with tile. I just don't think tile belongs in a living room. 

$980K for that tiny house. Wow. I wish I could just pick up my house and move it to SoCal.

That would have required some imagination and creative thinking on their part. The tile is not homey at all  and no mantel.

• Love 4
On 1/22/2022 at 2:24 PM, Dehumidifier said:

That would have required some imagination and creative thinking on their part. The tile is not homey at all  and no mantel.

What do T & C have against mantels? They almost never install one. 

And I would always be wary of a house with a cracked foundation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So if they don't tell us what it sold for, that means they lost money or broke even, right?

Because even if it was the last episode taped that season, a simple end voiceover can be added quickly.  They aren't leaving out the purchase price because they ran out of time.  Unless maybe it sat on the market for many months.

Saw the episode today where the dopey storyline was he pumped in $170k-ish of fancy upgrades to a $1 mil home because supposedly he was wowed by a home down the street listed for $1.4 million.  But months later when they finish that other house hasn't sold, so now T is worried about a loss.  Ends with, "Welp, our house has been on the market for a week and we got great responses from potential buyers but no offers yet.  So anyways, tune in next week, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!"

We need closure, bro.

Also found humorous that when that market required high end finishes, he used an interior designer because C was suddenly, totally coincidentally, definitely don't read anything into it, not available....

Edited by pep4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

I remember that episode, and in my opinion, the designer's choices were hideous.   The tiled fireplace was ugly.    The fact is that there were four or five other houses for sale in that subdivision, and not one sold before the flip was finished, and the flips actually take months.     I don't know why anything in that subdivision wasn't selling, but something was very wrong.    I bet that house was a total flop. 

I think when Christina was unavailable, then was when she was on maternity leave, or about to have Hudson.     That's why she's talking to Tarek from her SUV, or only on the phone.    

The Huntington Beach new episode tonight bored me.    So much dark tile.   The front door color was hideous.   It would have been better if they just left it natural wood, the way they did the inside.  Just seal the wood.   I can't believe they had 13 offers, and so much of a profit.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Considering the (alleged) profit they made on the Huntington Beach house, they could have spent the extra 10 grand to remove that wall between the entrance and kitchen altogether. It was hella awkward, and there is literally nothing you can do with it besides using it as a bar, which is a weird first thing to see when you walk thru the front door.

Does anyone else think Christina is starting too look a little haggard? Maybe she was just really tired during the filming of this one, but I foresee some procedures in her near future. I don't think she is going to age well.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Considering the (alleged) profit they made on the Huntington Beach house, they could have spent the extra 10 grand to remove that wall between the entrance and kitchen altogether. It was hella awkward, and there is literally nothing you can do with it besides using it as a bar, which is a weird first thing to see when you walk thru the front door.

Does anyone else think Christina is starting too look a little haggard? Maybe she was just really tired during the filming of this one, but I foresee some procedures in her near future. I don't think she is going to age well.

I thought the bar was weird, too. If you had to keep the wall I would have just put some artwork there and called it a day. It would have saved them money, too. I didn’t have any major problems with the rest of the house or backyard. That said, that shower was all almost too big. It was ginormous. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She is way too thin. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

After seeing some of the older episodes on yesterday's marathon, including when they were still married, she's so haggard now.    

• Love 2

After seeing some of the older episodes on yesterday's marathon, including when they were still married, she's so haggard now. 

Maybe it was just the lighting and/or makeup, but in one shot towards the end, her cheeks looked sunken and her face just overall looked so gaunt. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe it was just the lighting and/or makeup, but in one shot towards the end, her cheeks looked sunken and her face just overall looked so gaunt. 

I thought she seemed thin and very subdued, even her voice wasn't as gravelly as it usually is. 

• Love 2

Christina and Heather are both emaciated, especially Heather. How long till Taylor notices  and starts dieting?

Tonight’s expensive flip in Corona del Mar was disappointing, because everything is starting to look so much the same…very minimal, gray and trendy. I liked the classic look of the brick patio that was demolished. 

I’d enjoy seeing a classic Spanish style with painted tiles and some colors.

I didn’t like their accent wall, either. 

• Love 4

Heather has always looked thin, but fit to me.   She's apparently been vegan for years.   

However, Christina was always thin, has lost even more weight, and looks unhealthy.   I'm wondering if the multiple shows she's filming, are running her ragged?    

The flip in Corona Del Mar was so expensive!     It certainly needed some changes desperately, but I'm still shocked at the interest, and wonder if any were really shoppers who would qualify for the house?   I wonder if it ever sold?      I guess I should be used to the L.A., and beach market, but I'm still amazed at what the remodels cost, and the selling price.   

I hated the one bathroom with gray shower tile, cabinet looked brown, and nothing coordinated in that room.    I thought the flip looked very generic. 

I do love seeing Izzy show up on a flip.    I'm betting his company only does the pricey flips.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, answerphone said:

Tonight’s expensive flip in Corona del Mar was disappointing, because everything is starting to look so much the same…very minimal, gray and trendy.

I don't think it was trendy at all. I mean black cabinets are so 2013.

• Love 3

The flip in Corona Del Mar was so expensive!     It certainly needed some changes desperately, but I'm still shocked at the multiple offers,

There weren't any offers. He said they had a lot of interest but no offers (but was still confident it would sell at list price). I've noticed that the more expensive the house the less likely it is to sell right away. They usually sell the ones under 1 million immediately and the ones over that price point tend to sit on the market for awhile. 

I couldn't get a good read on the layout of this house, even after looking at the floor plan. It was a really weird, long and narrow double-decker and I had no real sense of what was where. They put a lot of money into an elaborate patio in the front and I don't know who would want to spend a lot of time sitting there, street-side watching the cars go by. Same with the balcony above. 

• Love 5

Thanks for the correction about the offers.    I guess 'lots of interest' means a bunch of looky loos, who just want to see the expensive house.   Or they over improved for the neighborhood.      

There is no way on earth that I would open the front glass doors, and sit right next to the sidewalk.       I thought the front patio was a waste of money.     I never figured out the original floor plan, or the changed floor plan.   I thought the interior windows were hideous, on the original plan.  

• Love 1

I’ve seen house like this in California but they are usually beach front. This was in a residential neighborhood and seemed out of place with the front fire pit. I like what they did with the inside but it was the usual knock everything down and call it open concept. I didn’t like the brick idea for the whole wall which was the length of the house but it was going to be white so I didn’t mind it. The one sample Christina showed was white and Tarek liked it, too. When Izzy was putting it up I didn’t like it at all with variations of color. I actually agreed with Christina (which shocked me) and, I think painting it all white was the right call. So at the time of filming they had no offers which isn’t unusual but I think it might have been over priced and also not the right look for the neighborhood but I’m sure it will sell eventually. 

Now, for the fiancé and now wife, um, that voice and way, way skinny body is something. I thought she was a dead ringer for Chris before but now seeing her they really don’t look that much alike. Im just glad she isn’t hosting with Tarek. 

• Love 3

Now, for the fiancé and now wife, um, that voice and way, way skinny body is something. I thought she was a dead ringer for Chris before but now seeing her they really don’t look that much alike. Im just glad she isn’t hosting with Tarek. 

First of all, I disagree that they don't look alike. Granted the resemblance is a superficial one but they have all the same specifics and they are pretty interchangeable. Also, Heather has a problem with vocal fry just like Christina does.

Second of all, I don't know what purpose it serves to interject Heather into this episode. This isn't the other show where it's just Tarek helping would-be flippers with a side of his wedding preparations thrown in. I'm not really interested in how their latest home is coming along or what she thinks about the property Tarek is flipping until they dump Christina altogether and replace her with Heather. Which, they might as well. I'm sure Heather can pick out gray tiles and white cabinets just as well as Christina does.

We just don't need two of them, is my point.

Edited by iMonrey
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

There's no comparison between Christina and Heather.

IMO, Heather is WAY more likeable, whereas Christina has an attitude. Christina is always rolling her eyes about something, thinking she's so cute. News flash, Christina, it's not!

I would be very happy if Christina would stay with her own show, and let Tarek & Heather take over Flip or Flop.

• Love 4

Or if Heather's too busy with her Selling Sunset (I hope I got the name right) and her other professional projects, maybe Tarek and Robert (the one who teamed with him on a hoarder house for Robert's first flip), or a couple of other part time team members.  

I think Christina's talked about some major health issues recently, so I'm hoping all of that resolves quickly, and completely for her.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

There's no comparison between Christina and Heather.

IMO, Heather is WAY more likeable, whereas Christina has an attitude. Christina is always rolling her eyes about something, thinking she's so cute. News flash, Christina, it's not!

I would be very happy if Christina would stay with her own show, and let Tarek & Heather take over Flip or Flop.

But if Tarek and Christina aren't in a show together how would we know that they hated each other?

• LOL 9

The white brick wall reminded me of “Z Brick” from the late 70s.  I, too, couldn’t wrap my mind around the outdoor seating areas in the FRONT of the house.

I like Flip or Flop exactly the way it is.  Tarek and Christina ARE the show.  Does she consistently offer varieties of grey paint, tiles, and cabinets and roll her eyes along the way?  Yes.  Does he continue to make the same sarcastic remarks to his ex wife?  Yes.  However, I still get enjoyment from watching the show even if I find myself complaining about it.  

Just now, tinderbox said:

The white brick wall reminded me of “Z Brick” from the late 70s.  I, too, couldn’t wrap my mind around the outdoor seating areas in the FRONT of the house.  What?

I like Flip or Flop exactly the way it is.  Tarek and Christina ARE the show.  Does she consistently offer varieties of grey paint, tiles, and cabinets and roll her eyes along the way?  Yes.  Does he continue to make the same sarcastic remarks to his ex wife?  Yes.  However, I still get enjoyment from watching the show even if I find myself complaining about it.  

• Love 14

I particularly like that they have kept the show at 30 minutes. 20 when you can fast forward through the commercials.

Find the house, pretend to be exasperated at how much the changes are going to cost, make the changes and then show the house done. 
I find the filler in hour long flip shows really boring.

• Love 16

Christina's absolute repulsion over walls is borderline phobic.  Good Lord, woman, what did a wall ever do to you??  Was she bullied by a wall in High School?  Have her heart broken by a wall in College?  Have a quickie marriage, baby and divorce by one......oh wait, that was Ant!

I think something that shows how completely limited she is as a "designer" is her inability to acknowledge or recognize any other style outside of her gray and white box.  What if she had a client who enjoyed defined and separated spaces?  Could she work with them?  Could she design within four walls?  Recently, there was a house (sorry, can't remember which one, the episodes tend to run together for me) that wasn't that bad.  In fact, it just looked like a dated, cute, little Grandma house inside. She acted like she was going to vomit.  Did she ever have a Grandma?  Or know a person who liked to collect older things and preferred a warm and cozy space as opposed to modern design?  When she walks into those types of homes it's like she's personally offended by them.  Highly.  I wonder if she visited someone in real life with a house like that, would she be so disgusted or would she be able to cover it up?       

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I think something that shows how completely limited she is as a "designer" is her inability to acknowledge or recognize any other style outside of her gray and white box.  What if she had a client who enjoyed defined and separated spaces?  Could she work with them?  Could she design within four walls?

To be fair they have to go with what is currently trendy in order to appeal to the most buyers. I get that. There was a recent episode where they even pointed out the kinds of colors they used to use when they first started out.

As for the wall thing, well, open concept is apparently what everyone wants today, although the cynic in me says it's precisely because of shows like this, in addition to lazy builders and architects who just find it easier to build that way.

That said, given they have a weekly TV show, they really should put a bit more effort into changing things up from time to time. Because aside from the floor plans they really do tend to all blur together, design-wise. 

• Love 8

I enjoy the hideous houses the most, where you can see the transformation.    

I really like the older episode, when T & C walk into the smelly house, and realize that the smell is the formerly frozen Turkey, left on the counter and now long rotted. 

Christina will always be a partner on T & C Design and Construction (or whatever the exact name is) but I'm wondering if her other obligations and multiple shows will cause her to step back?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/6/2022 at 5:01 PM, tinderbox said:

Well said. This is exactly how I feel. While Tarek and Christina's home renos are not breaking new ground, the houses are pretty (usually), and their sarcastic banter gives me life.

And Heather is really nice on Selling Sunset, and she seems like she'd be nice in real life. Christina is annoying at times, and I probably wouldn't like her IRL, but IMO she has a better personality for TV. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, topanga said:

Christina is annoying at times, and I probably wouldn't like her IRL, but IMO she has a better personality for TV. 

Agree....because rolling her eyes is second nature to her. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1