Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Flip Or Flop

Recommended Posts

I feel bad for the infant child they share and Christina/Tarek's kids who are getting their lives upended again, but who didn't see this coming when they first got together? It feels like they got together and she was pregnant five minutes after she divorced Tarek.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Not a surprise at all about the split.   I just feel sorry for the kids on both sides, and the newest baby.    

I bet Ant got very tired of having to schedule visitation around all of the remodels, moving, and his kids' schedule.   For his only visit to see his kids in England, he had to go there, and quarantine before the visit, and I'm betting did the same thing when he came back to the U.S.   

I just hate that the newest baby will have parents far apart geographically.   

 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/17/2020 at 8:48 PM, seasons said:

I really still see such chemistry between Tarek and Christina. It's too bad they couldn't work things out. I don't see that chemistry with "Ant" /eyeroll or Christina's clone, Tarek's fiance Heather. 😕

OK, I don't often quote myself, but wow - i had no idea that this separation was coming. I feel really sad for those kids. 

Wonder if Heather will want to speed up that wedding date.  

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, justdoit10 said:

I now read it was he who first brought up splitting.  What a cluster and a mess for the kids.  

No surprise there. My husband watches Wheeler Dealers and I've never thought Ant is comfortable working/living in the US. That humongous expensive house that's in her name never seemed to excite him and Christina didn't really dedicate space for his two children from his previous marriage in the house. She said there was room for them to feel at home when they visit, but in actuality there weren't enough bedrooms for that to be true.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

She said there was room for them to feel at home when they visit, but in actuality there weren't enough bedrooms for that to be true.

That stuck with me at the time, which I thought pretty disrespectful of her towards him. Plus her manner around that wedding wreaked of FU, Tarek. So no surprises. Sorry, kids. All of them. 

Tarek's stand-alone show isn't must-see TV for me, but it appears to hold together better than her C on the C silliness. Wonder if this show will benefit from the increase in drama? Because the flips are all pretty much rote by this time.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This situation with Ant makes me continue to wonder about Harry and MM. I know that people move across the world every day and settle very happily, but sometimes it doesn't work out. London to LA is quite a shift in many ways. Add in ex-spouses and kids for Ant and Christina, and the odds start to stack up against you. Wonder if the UK just has too much of a pull for Ant.

regarding Harry, he seems such a Brit through and through, can't see LA being his thing after the glitter wears off.

Edited by seasons
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/20/2020 at 3:04 PM, justdoit10 said:

I now read it was he who first brought up splitting.  What a cluster and a mess for the kids.  

 

Just now, justdoit10 said:

 

 

Error

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I will say I’ve heard of buying a sports car following a divorce or having a midlife crisis but a yacht is a new one. 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

That seems ambitious. I wonder if it comes with a cute captain?

Perhaps a new reality show. Christina on a Yacht!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching a bunch of reruns, and I love what the stagers do on this show.    Especially the company with the twin sisters.   I've noticed them on Desert Flippers too.      The stagers always match the proportion of the furniture to the size of the rooms, and other flippers don't do that (especially one in Chicago). 

A pop up on the older show says their company is working on up to 20 flips at a time.   So  I guess they take months each. 

The new episode tonight was such a bizarre house.    The third bedroom was horrible, but the bathroom was so nice.    I hate skylights (too hot, often they leak, the sunlight can superheat things in there) too, and I'm so glad they got rid of them.   I can't believe there was a bidding war on that house, and if the sale went through it would be a $100k profit. 

The rerun with Robert the rookie flipper (I'm betting this was the Flipping 101 pilot), on the hoarder house was just as much fun as the first time.    I really like Robert, and wonder if he really did continue with flipping?    Robert Drenk actually owns a mortgage company, has worked as a realtor, and he works at financing T & C's flip buyers.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Share this post


Link to post

I hope they salvaged material from that bathroom in the non permitted part of the house. They could at least donate the countertops and such to Habitat for Humanity.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, seasons said:

This situation with Ant makes me continue to wonder about Harry and MM. I know that people move across the world every day and settle very happily, but sometimes it doesn't work out. London to LA is quite a shift in many ways. Add in ex-spouses and kids for Ant and Christina, and the odds start to stack up against you. Wonder if the UK just has too much of a pull for Ant.

regarding Harry, he seems such a Brit through and through, can't see LA being his thing after the glitter wears off.

I have often wondered this as well, but from all I have read about Harry and MM and their experiences (especially re Harry's on-the-record hatred for the British press, and the fact that he said, well before he met MM, that he wanted free of the strictures of royal life), their move away from England makes sense - at least for now.  They want to protect their young son, if nothing else.  They couldn't stay in Canada forever, neither one is a citizen of the country, but as Meghan is a citizen of the US, they could live here easily.

They actually live in Montecito, near Santa Barbara, which is quite a different vibe from LA.

As regards the show, I recorded it as I usually do and FF'd through most of the middle.  I like seeing the beginning, when they do the walk-through, and I like seeing the reveal at the end.  The rest is of no interest to me - I have seen all this flipping drama before a thousand times.  Yawn.  I do think this may be their last season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I have often wondered this as well, but from all I have read about Harry and MM and their experiences (especially re Harry's on-the-record hatred for the British press, and the fact that he said, well before he met MM, that he wanted free of the strictures of royal life), their move away from England makes sense - at least for now.  They want to protect their young son, if nothing else.  They couldn't stay in Canada forever, neither one is a citizen of the country, but as Meghan is a citizen of the US, they could live here easily.

They actually live in Montecito, near Santa Barbara, which is quite a different vibe from LA.

As regards the show, I recorded it as I usually do and FF'd through most of the middle.  I like seeing the beginning, when they do the walk-through, and I like seeing the reveal at the end.  The rest is of no interest to me - I have seen all this flipping drama before a thousand times.  Yawn.  I do think this may be their last season.  

Harry wants to have his cake and eat it too. Or, should I say, he wants to have a version of privacy while using his RF given fame and his father's money. 

As regards the show, why do you bother to watch the reveal? That's the most boring part imo, They all look the same. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed they didn't have an open house segment on this last one. Probably can't do meet and greets during the pandemic. I couldn't figure out where that bonus room came from, it was between the kitchen and the garage? So did they turn part of the garage into the bonus room? The layout was so weird. Can't believe there was a bidding war for that little house. 2 bed, 1 bath, over 570K. Ouch.

Quote

As regards the show, I recorded it as I usually do and FF'd through most of the middle.  I like seeing the beginning, when they do the walk-through, and I like seeing the reveal at the end.  The rest is of no interest to me - I have seen all this flipping drama before a thousand times.  Yawn.  

God I know, the formula is so stale by now (and it's not just this show, it's every renovation show). How many times can you watch someone take a sledgehammer to a cabinet or wall? 

I've always thought it would be interesting if they showed us how this really works. "Meet Jose, he is the one who searches for properties to use on the show. Here is Sarah, she is the one who really does the negotiating with the sellers. Here is the producer who calls Tarek and Christina and tells them when and where to show up for filming. Here is Christina's make-up team with their 30-gallon drums of make-up and hair extensions." 

There was a shot of Christina in one of the talking heads where it looked like she was suddenly three shades darker, anyone notice that?

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Harry wants to have his cake and eat it too. Or, should I say, he wants to have a version of privacy while using his RF given fame and his father's money. 

As regards the show, why do you bother to watch the reveal? That's the most boring part imo, They all look the same. 

I won't comment further on the Sussexes, as it it quite off-topic.

I like to watch the reveal because I want to see how the stagers use color and furniture positioning to make the most of the space.  Also,  the reveal is the usually the only time they show all the completed work in the house and landscaping

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

What I noticed in this episode was the massive amounts of flirting going on between Tarek and Christina.  She used to not be able to get within two feet of him without making some snarky, almost mean, comment to him or starting an argument.  Now they were like two kids sitting next to each other in junior high math that have a crush on each other.  I hope Christina didn't realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and now wants to jump back over the fence.  

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I couldn't figure out where that bonus room came from, it was between the kitchen and the garage? So did they turn part of the garage into the bonus room?

The bonus room was the entire patio enclosed. The original owners just put up walls and covered the window in the kitchen. Definitely the weirdest layout. I walked through a couple houses similar where they converted garages into extra rooms. You always stepped down into them. It never felt right. 

$100k "profit" on a 2bd:1bth flip. Uggh.

I kinda like Tarek's own show more now just because it is a little less predictable. This one just felt more scripted and awkward. Like during the final walk through "remember when you walked through to that addition? Yeah I remember." No shit you remember. If we were to believe the day count by the show it was just a couple weeks ago. 

The stagers are definitely the heroes of this show. None of these flips would get as much attention that they do without them being fully staged. In the early days they used to mention the staging costs. I believed that they just bought enough stuff to warehouse their own staging supplies like the Vegas company. This ep showed an actual staging company again but no costs listed. 

The show is just fluff but it would be nice to have one that really breaks down the costs and work. Let's pull back the curtain a bit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think they were flirting, but I think Christina was trying to flaunt that for a mother of three, she looks good.   I wonder if she had a lot of work done after the last baby?       And I also wonder if she was planning on ending the second marriage even before this was filmed?    She seemed like she was showing off a lot in this episode, but I doubt it would be for Tarek.  

They did show some of the staff on one show several seasons ago, maybe one of the after the flip series?   They showed a man who shops for properties for them, and I'm sure some of the design staff on Christina's show are actually T & C company staff.    They used to feature more contractors also, now it's mostly Jeff (some others might not want to waste all of the time on camera, or want to be on camera at all).      That addition last night was so strange.  

Also, they have people they work with that aren't staff.  Robert (the rookie flipper on the rerun episode with the hoarder house) is a realtor, but is mostly a mortgage broker, and works with the T & C flip buyers from what I read. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I noticed they didn't have an open house segment on this last one. Probably can't do meet and greets during the pandemic. I couldn't figure out where that bonus room came from, it was between the kitchen and the garage? So did they turn part of the garage into the bonus room? The layout was so weird.

On all of these reno shows I wish they would cut out the smashing cabinets and walls scenes and give a good long look at the floor plan -- before reno and after reno. If they do show a plan they leave it on for such a short time. I always have to "rewind" to really absorb it.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have two favorite episodes, the one where the frozen turkey was left out on the house counter.   The other is when they bought the house sight unseen, Izzy is walking through with them, and they find out there are huge cracks through out the foundation slab.   Then Izzy looks up and asks "Did you already buy this?" and when Tarek says they did he just looks at them.    That was where they made a huge mistake.   The one foundation company was going to include fixing the foundation slab, and fixing the wall and doorway level.   They went with the second company that was cheaper, and found out it didn't include fixing the interior, just the slab.  

I think even if Christina wants him back that Tarek is someone who can't get past cheating.   I think she was planning her escape plan a long time ago, and is now looking for the next one.      I think she's trying to show everyone that she's still desirable, and I think is trying to keep the spotlight on her.    She's very comfortable with being a celebrity, with minimal effort, and I think as long ago as this was filmed, she had already planned to split with husband #2.          

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have two favorite episodes, the one where the frozen turkey was left out on the house counter.   The other is when they bought the house sight unseen, Izzy is walking through with them, and they find out there are huge cracks through out the foundation slab.   Then Izzy looks up and asks "Did you already buy this?" and when Tarek says they did he just looks at them.    That was where they made a huge mistake.   The one foundation company was going to include fixing the foundation slab, and fixing the wall and doorway level.   They went with the second company that was cheaper, and found out it didn't include fixing the interior, just the slab.  

Izzy telling it like it is. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone seen the new commercial, where T says something about wanting to watch C squirm? And she does this laugh, and then like a 'knowing' type sound? Maybe I've been in lockdown too long but, that was so loaded with sexual innuendo that I'm wondering what HGTV is up to lol. To me, it sounded like T was referencing some sexual activities they did together and C picked up on the reference with her second reaction. 

I'm seeing a lot of sexual tension in this commercial and I wonder if HGTV sees it too and is using it. I also wonder if the new boo sees it as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

Has anyone seen the new commercial, where T says something about wanting to watch C squirm? And she does this laugh, and then like a 'knowing' type sound? Maybe I've been in lockdown too long but, that was so loaded with sexual innuendo that I'm wondering what HGTV is up to lol. To me, it sounded like T was referencing some sexual activities they did together and C picked up on the reference with her second reaction. 

I'm seeing a lot of sexual tension in this commercial and I wonder if HGTV sees it too and is using it. I also wonder if the new boo sees it as well.   

As I was reading this and playing some HGTV I'd DVR'd this commercial played at literally the same moment! I have a feeling they are going to get back together. They are flirty. I think now that he has someone else Christina wants him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Nice to see the show back again. Actually, it’s nice to see anything back at this juncture. It was a cute (but expensive) flip. I think they could have spared and umbrella or two for the outside patio. I felt hot just looking at it. The kitchen was light and airy for a galley size kitchen. I wasn’t crazy about the honeycomb tile in the bathroom at first but it was all balanced out by the white vanity & tub. The bedrooms were small but what do you want for a 2 bedroom place. Crazy price @ $675,000 but it’s California after all. All in all, it turned out nice. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think now that he has someone else Christina wants him.

Agreed. As the old saying goes "you don't know what you have until it's gone".  I just hope Tarek is playing along and stays true to Heather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

Agreed. As the old saying goes "you don't know what you have until it's gone".  I just hope Tarek is playing along and stays true to Heather.

And, Tarek has his lookalike Christina. I’m sure he’s fine.
 

BTW!! I think that was the first side by side talking head of Tarek and Christina I’ve seen in ages. I guess they’re getting along a lot better now. They might be over the rough patch. I guess that’s something positive for the show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone seen the show “Dream Home Maker” on Netflix? I’ve watched the first two episodes, and so far it seems like a cross between Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop (without the real estate aspect). I haven’t created a topic for it yet because I wasn’t sure if anyone else has seen it. I only discovered it today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On tonight's new episode, they're doing a hard money flip.    But they didn't do a termite inspection before purchasing the house?     So of course it causes huge issues with the timeline, and budget.     I'm guessing they knew about the termites already, and it was just a plot point to 'find' it during the flip.  

I think in the commercial where Tarek says he likes to see her squirm with the really nasty houses, it's because she does put on a show every time there's cat hair, bad smells, and every other situation.   Remember in the first season or so where they walking into the house, and found some guy in it.   I'm sure that was a recreation, just like when the SUV was stolen.   There's no way they happened to be there with the camera crew filming at the right time to catch that.   However, it's also safer. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On tonight's new episode, they're doing a hard money flip.    But they didn't do a termite inspection before purchasing the house?     So of course it causes huge issues with the timeline, and budget.     I'm guessing they knew about the termites already, and it was just a plot point to 'find' it during the flip.  

It seems so much more scripted  and that they are acting now with their set lines and facial expressions.  The designs have been an after thought and average at best.  This is TV you can miss.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Reveals latest comps....

"We might not make any money on this."

COMMERCIAL

"We got an offer above asking price and made a profit of $77k, time to find another house to flip."

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

All I could think of is how great it would be to have an avocado tree (wonder how old that huge tree was?) and an orange tree in your backyard. Guacamole and OJ galore! 🍊 😋

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

All I could think of is how great it would be to have an avocado tree (wonder how old that huge tree was?) and an orange tree in your backyard. Guacamole and OJ galore! 🍊 😋

When we lived in Yorba Linda, CA we had two avocado trees in the yard and it was wonderful to pick them and slice them up for salads and guacamole whenever we felt the urge.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The latest Flip was just okay. It wasn’t a big house and they didn’t do too much rearranging inside. I thought the bathrooms turned out nice but I didn’t like the fireplace. I never understood a fireplace without a mantle. It looked like a concrete wall. It didn’t give me a warm & cozy feel. Of course they sold it at enormous price & made a huge profit. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, tonight's disgusting house is a cat house, falling down, hasn't been changed since it was built.    I'm guessing this is one of Tarek's 'we buy anything for cash' houses, another part of his company.    On this house, I'm guessing that the egress window issue will come up because some of the windows are way to small to meet code now.    They did a great job on tonight's house.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, ByaNose said:

I never understood a fireplace without a mantle.

Yes, the (I think) new episode yesterday once again had them tiling over a floor-to-ceiling brick fireplace wall. Why wouldn't you want a mantel? Where do the kids' Christmas stockings go?

Also, maybe my eyes deceived me, but there appeared to be an electrical outlet right in the middle of the finished fireplace wall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed the outlet, maybe it was an outlet for a TV mount?   However, that would still be better with a mantle.   And I'm probably one of the few people who would never wall mount a TV.     

It was nice to see something besides white shaker cabinets.   

The rerun was interesting.   That was the house Tarek bought for almost $1 mil, put way too much into the rehab, based on a spectacular active comp.   However, the other comp, plus the other four homes for sale in the same complex didn't sell.   Tarek's house didn't sell by the end either, or have an offer.    This was an episode where Christina was 'on vacation', which I'm betting was maternity leave.     Tarek brought in some designer, and I hated the fireplace tile she picked, and actually anything else she said would sell the house.   I'm betting that house was a flop, because it was almost $1.2mil for the break even, on market for $1.4, and wasn't even attracting much interest, except lookers not buyers.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/16/2020 at 6:46 PM, Angeltoes said:

What I noticed in this episode was the massive amounts of flirting going on between Tarek and Christina.  She used to not be able to get within two feet of him without making some snarky, almost mean, comment to him or starting an argument.  Now they were like two kids sitting next to each other in junior high math that have a crush on each other.  I hope Christina didn't realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and now wants to jump back over the fence.  

They have been very flirty lately. I'm glad their working relationship is better, but hope they don't get back together. Their relationship became very toxic by the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

They have been very flirty lately. I'm glad their working relationship is better, but hope they don't get back together. Their relationship became very toxic by the end.

They never seem to fight very hard over design choices or money anymore. I agree that first season back after their separation was toxic. You could feel the tension emanating off the TV screen. I'm guessing they went to counseling, or mediation, or something where they learned how to cooperate for the sake of their respective careers and bank balances. I'm not reading any flirtation between the two, I just sense they are more relaxed around each other now.

What the hell was Braden doing walking on the kitchen counter?!?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just read that Flip or Flop is renewed for another season (Season 10?).  

What happens to the lower level if that pool over flows, or there's a lot of rain that runs into the lower patio?    The first tile Christina brought out for the kitchen back splash was horrible.    The one they actually picked for the kitchen wall was nice.    WHy didn't they use a marble look quartz for the counters?   It looks like marble, has veining throughout the slab, and is never going to stain or have issues the way real marble does.    I couldn't find the house on the MLS, so it either sold, probably after a big reduction, making it a flop, or I'm not great at finding it.   

I liked the bathroom Terrazo tiles, but didn't think the other tile patterns in the bathroom complimented them.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just read that Flip or Flop is renewed for another season (Season 10?).  

This show is a cash cow for HGTV, Tarek & Christina. It’s usually predictable but still a well done show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

This show is a cash cow for HGTV, Tarek & Christina. It’s usually predictable but still a well done show.

I've stopped watching it. Every show is a practically word for word and "design" for "design" repeat. Plus Christina really turns me off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Tonight was a rare loss so far.  Maybe, it has hold since then but he had to lower the price since there were no takers. It was a split level that they made more mid century modern. They did a good job. I didn’t care for the tile on the bathroom floor because it looks like the kitchen countertops people used to use. It did have nice calculated ceilings though. It still was my taste but the place turned out pretty nice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The split level house last night looked really nice inside, but it was ugly on the outside!  That blue-on-grey exterior paint didn't do the house any favors.  It just looked bland and unappealing to me.  That was a really large lot the house was on, though!

For $1.2 million, even in CA, I'd want something nicer than a mid-century modern split-level with no views.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the terrazzo floor in the bathroom. I hate those big tiles with the big black/white/blue design these shows use so often -- so limiting in decorating the rest of the room.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size