Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

They were not on TLC, they were on HGTV. HGTV is not in the train wreck business like TLC is.

Oops, sorry, but I still think they were too 'bland' since HGTV features Tarek and Christina and their Hollywood lives as well as the Aubrey and Bristol creating Barbie dream houses in Vegas.  Anita and Ken don't bicker, she doesn't wear designer stilettos and hair extensions, they don't decorate for a 5 year old's tastes like Aubrey does, they don't do marital/divorce drama for the show like Tarek and Christina.  They also don't paint everything white or gray, they actually use other colors on occasion.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Oops, sorry, but I still think they were too 'bland' since HGTV features Tarek and Christina and their Hollywood lives as well as the Aubrey and Bristol creating Barbie dream houses in Vegas.  Anita and Ken don't bicker, she doesn't wear designer stilettos and hair extensions, they don't decorate for a 5 year old's tastes like Aubrey does, they don't do marital/divorce drama for the show like Tarek and Christina.  They also don't paint everything white or gray, they actually use other colors on occasion.

They were great flippers and designers. But I agree. They weren't "reality TV" enough for HGTV. That's too bad. And I'll admit my own bias-- they were the kind of people I would love to know and hang out with IRL, but I wasn't clamoring to watch them on TV every week.  Not because of the lack of drama. Maybe they just weren't funny or expressive enough--to me. 

• Love 2

Me, too! But I wonder if they were the ones who bowed out? It must take a lot of time to tape the show and maybe it was taking time away from their "real" flips?

Their show was cancelled by HGTV.

. And I'll admit my own bias-- they were the kind of people I would love to know and hang out with IRL, but I wasn't clamoring to watch them on TV every week.  Not because of the lack of drama. Maybe they just weren't funny or expressive enough--to me. 

I was. I looked forward to every new episode and still hold out hope they'll land a show on some other channel. They always did something really interesting with their flips. I remember one where they turned a split level into a traditional 2-story by moving the front door and creating an elaborate front porch. 

I honestly don't know how much more mileage HGTV can get out of Tarek and Christina. They milked the divorce scandal for all it was worth and now it's just two divorced people flipping houses with the same basic design and colors every single week. Almost anything about them that was originally appealing is gone now.

• Love 8

For HGTV a show like Flip or Flop has to do a certain number of filmed remodels for each season, and that's a lot of money tied up in remodels, and time spent filming, instead of working.     I wonder if there will be another season of F or F?         This season's remodels have been pretty boring,     The tri-level was really boring to me, and I just wasn't all that thrilled with some of the others this year.  

• Love 3

T&C air on HGTV in Canada. The latest episode was "Cliff Makeover" where Izzy was throwing a little shade, as mentioned. "I don't want to give you a number because then you'll hold me to it." "I've never done that." "Yes you have." 

On a corner lot are you really allowed to add slats above the 4' concrete fence in the front yard?  It isn't allowed where I live as it affects driver's sight lines near the corner.

I too am bored with all the grey and white walls and those very busy grey/white/black geometric-patterned tiles that all the shows seem to be using in bathrooms, backsplashes & fireplace surrounds.  They already are starting to look dated.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

And don't tell me T and C take them time to go to flooring, cabinet and tile show rooms to order for each home.

They appear to have such a set pattern, they just phone in "white shaker cabinets, granite countertops, superbusy-annoying backsplash and bathroom tile" and call it a day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, answerphone said:

And don't tell me T and C take them time to go to flooring, cabinet and tile show rooms to order for each home.

They appear to have such a set pattern, they just phone in "white shaker cabinets, granite countertops, superbusy-annoying backsplash and bathroom tile" and call it a day.

Absolutely.  I suspect they buy in huge quantities for a discount and store it all in a warehouse someplace.  No way do I think they actually go to a retail store and pick from different samples for every flip.  They've probably got 3-4 styles of cabinets and tiles stored in the warehouse at any given time and their choices for each home are based on what is in inventory.

• Love 5

Hmm I would have sworn last week's episode was the last new one of the season. Guess not. Probably should have been the last episode, ever, if all they're ever going to do is the same old gray and white and geometric tiles. I did not like the shiny back splash tiles on the fireplace either. 

Why does Pete partner with them anymore if all he ever wants to do is the bare minimum so he can get in and out as quickly as possible? He has to know Christina is going to want to spend big bucks by now. It's weird. When they were first starting out Pete was their main investor, he put up the money and they did all the work then split the profits. Now he doesn't have enough to go it alone and needs to partner with them because they have all the money?

Was that fake grass around that house? I swear it looked like AstroTurf. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm I would have sworn last week's episode was the last new one of the season. Guess not. Probably should have been the last episode, ever, if all they're ever going to do is the same old gray and white and geometric tiles. I did not like the shiny back splash tiles on the fireplace either. 

Why does Pete partner with them anymore if all he ever wants to do is the bare minimum so he can get in and out as quickly as possible? He has to know Christina is going to want to spend big bucks by now. It's weird. When they were first starting out Pete was their main investor, he put up the money and they did all the work then split the profits. Now he doesn't have enough to go it alone and needs to partner with them because they have all the money?

Was that fake grass around that house? I swear it looked like AstroTurf. 

It may well have been artificial turf.  After the massive drought over the past few years, many people in California converted their lawns to turf.

I think the whole Pete storyline is BS.  He's apparently been very successful investing in flips over the years; I am sure he knows what sells every bit as well as T&C do.  He also knows what the show is called and that they need to actually change the house around to please the producers and give them something to film.  I think they bring him in every now and then for some pretend drama.

The show is really tired and stale these days, every flip looks virtually the same as all the others.

• Love 7

I suspect that's Pete's role is "lets do the bare minimum", and T & C are the "spend money to get top dollar" stars of the relationship.   I read that Pete was always a partner, but I haven't read if he moved into T&C the flipping company that T & C started after they made it big.   It was good to see Pete again.  

Last night was OK, but more of the same colors and styles.    However, the fireplace was hideous.    If I could ever afford a house in that neighborhood, I would have walked in, looked at that fireplace, and walked out the door.   That house was way too expensive to expect a buyer to have to redo the fireplace.    In that price point, a buyer will want turn key, not having to fix taste specific items that the flippers like.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I was shocked at last night's episode when I saw how thin Pete Best is now - I hope the weight loss is not the result of some kind of health issue.

I usually record the episodes before watching so I can ff through the commercials, but last night I was also grateful to be able to ff through the incredibly irritating bickering Pete did with T&C over costs.  It's so bogus.  He knows how they roll when doing a flip - it's always as high-end as they can get away with while still making a profit - so let it go.  It's not entertaining in the least. 

I HATED what they did to the fireplace.  It looked like a shower wall with all that pale-blue tile facing.  UGGH.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mousegirl said:

I HATED what they did to the fireplace.  It looked like a shower wall with all that pale-blue tile facing.  UGGH.

That fireplace was an abomination. I presume covering perfectly nice fireplaces in some of the tons of shiny kitchen/bathroom tile they’ve obviously bought on close-out and have stockpiled in the warehouse is cheaper than doing the right thing.

There are so many beautiful and appropriate fireplace updates that can be done.  I just just once they’d do one instead of more cra^^y bathroom tile.

is is just me or are homes in SoCal all as boring and bland as the ones on this show?  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see T&C destroying classic architecturally beautiful homes with their repetitive gray and white ‘design’.  It just seems like so many of the homes both on this show and others in SoCal are really kinda mediocre..

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

SoCal native here. The Los Angeles basin is filled with miles upon miles upon miles of cookie cutter subdivisions. It's a trend that began in the '40s and is still going strong.

In many of the neighborhoods from the '20s and '30s you can see a block of homes with very few repeating floor plans and exteriors. For the most part, individual lots were/are rarely available except in some of the canyons and near the beaches. The big developers are the only ones who could afford to buy up SoCal and so they did.

I grew up seeing miles of olive and orange and lemon orchards separating the towns but it has become one continuous chunk of asphalt stretching from the Inland Empire to the Pacific Ocean.

The heirs of the original Spanish land grant families and ranchers and farmers made out like bandits and ruined a piece of heaven on earth.

When I was a kid I wondered "How much does all of this weigh and does it add to the earthquakes? Does the crust get tired of carrying the weight?" I was a weird kid, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, mousegirl said:

I was shocked at last night's episode when I saw how thin Pete Best is now - I hope the weight loss is not the result of some kind of health issue.

I'll be honest....I was sorta' watching with one eye and snickering at Tarek and the kids. He was so funny wearing that get-up he had on to entertain the kids that I didn't notice who he was talking to on the phone. When I looked up, I thought that guy looks familiar and then I realized it was Pete. I sure hope he isn't sick but if he is doing this for good looks, he is another person who looks better with a little meat on his bones.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4

The Cliff May house back splash (black and white Moroccan tile) was hideous to me.    It was so bright and glaring.  

The house with Pete had the worst fire place redo, with the blue tiles.   I would have left the top painted white, and a nice plainer tile on the bottom, and hearth. 

The rerun they're showing now with the bathroom floor marble swirl tile in gray, purple, and other colors is hideous.   However, it would have looked OK if Tarek wouldn't have used that awful matte blue subway stacked in the shower.  A big white subway tile in the shower would have looked so much better.  (Called A Deceiving Deal)   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I'm really enjoying the new season of ForF.  Tarek and Christina seem to be getting along much better now, and are actually a bit playful with each other.  Very nice!  The house they partnered up with Pete on was very nice inside, but was really ugly outside.  It was a weird looking house with that giant garage stuck onto the front.  Painting it white with black trim did it no favors either.

I'm afraid its time to look into redoing my kitchen, as its a bit dark and dated.  I'm starting to lean towards getting a Christina-type white/grey/white kitchen!  With my luck, all those whites and greys will immediately go out of style right after installation. LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I'm afraid its time to look into redoing my kitchen, as its a bit dark and dated.  I'm starting to lean towards getting a Christina-type white/grey/white kitchen!  With my luck, all those whites and greys will immediately go out of style right after installation. LOL

Who cares about what's in style?? White and grey are horrible to me because they're so ubiquitous. Same with open concept. I want my house to look like mine, not like an HGTV flip. 

• Love 3

They always say this needs to be an upscale flip, but why are the stoves always so 30" meh?

No pot fillers?

At least the Vegas flip couple will go to discount/outlet sales and get an upscale stove.

Christina's face looked like she walked into a fart when she found Tarek & Pete in the discounted  backroom  of the tile store

Edited by sheetmoss
  • LOL 2

A few years ago I bought a place that needed paint. I went gray in the living area and hallway and taupe in the other rooms. No matter where you are there's a contrasting color in sight. And depending on the light/the time of day, there's a lot of contrast.

I listed it today and the realtor and photog kept saying how much "the real colors stand out" against the neutral background. They said you should do what makes you happy if you're in a forever home but otherwise look down the road to how someone else can immediately make it their own without having to make a big effort.

I said "Flip or Flop" and they both laughed and said "Exactly."

I have my eye on a place that's priced right but has diamond shapes in four colors on the main wall in the living area plus two black walls, dining room walls are black, an aqua BDR where the door has black zig zags, a BDR with black and red walls and a door with black zig zags, and a third bedroom with black walls and gray triangles on the door. Alrighty then! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm afraid its time to look into redoing my kitchen, as its a bit dark and dated.  I'm starting to lean towards getting a Christina-type white/grey/white kitchen!  With my luck, all those whites and greys will immediately go out of style right after installation.

My rule of thumb with style and slang is that if it's featured on TV, it's probably already going out of style.

• Love 3

Who cares about what's in style??

People trying to sell their houses. That said, depending on the area (seller's market? buyer's market?) you might not need to update it to get a good price. God knows Tarek and Christina are paying disgracefully high prices for homes that would be considered hovels where I live.

They always say this needs to be an upscale flip, but why are the stoves always so 30" meh?

You know . . . I've noticed this too. They spend SO MUCH money on the kitchen and then get a dinky, standard sized stove instead of an extra-wide chef's stove. I guess that speaks to the fact that their generation doesn't cook much. 😕

I have my eye on a place that's priced right but has diamond shapes in four colors on the main wall in the living area plus two black walls, dining room walls are black, an aqua BDR where the door has black zig zags, a BDR with black and red walls and a door with black zig zags, and a third bedroom with black walls and gray triangles on the door. 

I would be able to look past paint colors. Painting is cheap and easy and you can do it yourself. It's flooring and kitchen and bathroom remodels that cost big bucks.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You know . . . I've noticed this too. They spend SO MUCH money on the kitchen and then get a dinky, standard sized stove instead of an extra-wide chef's stove. I guess that speaks to the fact that their generation doesn't cook much. 😕

If that was true they, and every other HGTV "designer" wouldn't be so obsessed with huge kitchens being the "heart" of the home. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

If that was true they, and every other HGTV "designer" wouldn't be so obsessed with huge kitchens being the "heart" of the home. 

Just because they and their guests want to hang out in the kitchen doesn't mean they actually want to cook in it.  People who love to cook don't necessarily want an audience while they're doing it.  Those who really want to make great food in their kitchen are going to be looking at stuff like burners on the stove, storage for pots, pans and utensils.  Most of the flips on these shows want a big kitchen with an island for people to sit at and gab, apparently while eating carry-out food.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Every party I’ve attended end up in the kitchen. Even now at 55 years old it either starts, stays or ends up in the kitchen. I guess that’s why it’s such a thing in the open concept era. My nephews new house is exactly that. The house is huge but the action happens in the open concept kitchen in the colder months but the deck is used in the summer months with a little action still going on in the kitchen with the huge island. It is what it is. All the renovation shows do it. I guess it’s what is happening everywhere else. My friends (middle 50’s) are still in their original starter homes with the sectioned rooms and kitchen. I’m guessing when we all downsize we’ll be faced with the open kitchen concept decision wether in a downsized home or condo. By then the open concept might be out of vogue and we will have to put up walls again. LOL!!!!

• Love 4

Some of the houses they do are so small, that open concept is the only way you can have a lighter house.   Plus, some have such tiny dining areas, that the island/bar top in the kitchen is the only decent eating area.     

Last night with Christina on 'vacation', was interesting, and I wonder if it was a pilot for Tarek's possible new show, or a way to split T & C up, and have Tarek do his F or F show, and Christina just do hers?      My one question about last night's home was when they added the laundry area to the master bath, then where did the laundry move to?

• Love 2

Hey, can we permanently dump Christina and just have Tarek and Robert from now on? Or, how about just Robert? His enthusiasm for the heated floors was positively contagious. He's pretty easy on the eyes too.

CrazyInAlabama I wondered where the laundry went too.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 2:06 AM, sheetmoss said:

No pot fillers?

This. I long for a pot filler every time I stand at the sink to fill up a pot for pasta or potatoes and have to carry it to the stove.

Not even in the expensive, million dollar homes (like this one!) is a pot-filler even discussed. I wonder why. 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:58 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The rerun they're showing now with the bathroom floor marble swirl tile in gray, purple, and other colors is hideous.   However, it would have looked OK if Tarek wouldn't have used that awful matte blue subway stacked in the shower.  A big white subway tile in the shower would have looked so much better.  (Called A Deceiving Deal)   

That floor made me dizzy. I can't imagine how it looks in person.  

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hey, can we permanently dump Christina and just have Tarek and Robert from now on? Or, how about just Robert? His enthusiasm for the heated floors was positively contagious. He's pretty easy on the eyes too.

CrazyInAlabama I wondered where the laundry went too.

Call me crazy, but I kinda missed Christina. 

I keep trying to quit this show and it keeps drawing me back in.  Last night's epi with Tarek's friend Robert was great fun.  I loved his puppy-dog enthusiasm about putting in the heated bathroom floor, and was so glad Tarek finally agreed to do it.  I could feel the affection between them - When Tarek said at the end that Robert was like a brother to him it felt totally believable to me.  These two would make a great team for the show going forward, if Christina wants to bow out, or maybe all three could work together.  

The house came out nicely, as well, although like everyone else here, I'm wondering what the hell happened to the laundry room?  The only other issue I had was that the outside paint colors were kind of blah.  Nothing "popped", to use that done-to-death term.

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 1

Let's face it, the original appeal of this show is gone. It is no longer a show about a cute young couple starting out with a flipping business, running into cash flow problems, having to borrow money from their parents, hauling around their cute little kid with them everywhere they go. 

Now it's a divorced couple, both living in mansions, one of them re-married, running a paint-by-numbers business that makes all their houses look alike. And we never see them taking the kids to work because they have full time nannies for that.

They are in desperate need of a shake-up, and Tarek re-partnering with someone like Robert could be just the ticket. We need a fresh perspective from someone who hasn't been doing this for seven years and isn't going to want to pick out the same lousy gray and white tile every damn week. 

I still think Tarek has a better personality for this show than Christina does. Let her go back to doing her solo "design" show and get some fresh blood going in ForF.

• Love 6

Any time they buy a house completely filled to the ceiling with junk like this one I wonder if some of the furniture could be sold. I mean it looked like there were a few decent pieces in there among the rubbish. Or maybe it's more trouble than it's worth to have some sort of yard sale to make a few hundred bucks off it.

• Love 3

The resale on used furniture in an age of rampant bedbug infestations, is zero.     I doubt any charity would accept any of it either.  

Here the charities only accept relatively new furniture, the older stuff get trashed.   However, by the time the older stuff is donated, it's pretty useless.  I'm amazed at what people donate here, the really bad furniture is usually dumped behind the thrift stores while the store is closed.    The stuff in the F or F episode, was piled up, so I imagine it was in bad shape.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I go to a consignment store that sells a lot of used furniture. I’ve bought some. 

I used to by lots of used furniture. But now with the bed bug epidemic, I wouldn’t dare. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

I used to by lots of used furniture. But now with the bed bug epidemic, I wouldn’t dare. 

So far, we remain infestation free. If it was a problem, stores wouldn't be selling it. It would infect everything in the store, including people who work or shop there.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I guess it's possible but what's the likelihood of finding bed bugs in armoires, end tables and desk sets? That's the kind of furniture I'm talking about.  

That's the kind of furniture I'm talking about - why would wooden or metal furniture be infected with bed bugs? I don't know any consignment stores that sell used mattresses.

I was responding to the post that there is zero market for used furniture because of bed bugs.

• Love 1

Furniture with stuffing is bad for all kinds of reasons.     However, as long as wooden furniture is cleaned off, and anything left behind is removed (some people are filthy, even with donated furniture), it should be fine.     

The Restore where I live will take donated mattresses (clean ones, not nasty ones).   I think they clean them somehow.    The company I bought my mattress sets from took my old mattress, and said they were donating it.    They said if they look bad, or have damage, they go right in their dumpster.     

They're rerunning some of the very early seasons, and it's so funny when they go tile shopping, and want brown/beige, and darker cabinets.      

The flip last night was kind of boring.   They all start blurring together lately, since it's almost always the same design over and over.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

What's with this "Risky Business" subtitle? Has it been there all season long or was this some kind of special episode? I really don't need the insets with "tips" from Christina and Tarek. They're so generic and pointless. I already know what they "think" about various flipping tips. It's not like I'm new to this show. 

That one bedroom had too many windows! One looking out into the street and the other into the driveway. Talk about lack of privacy, they're going to need some curtains, stat.

• Love 2

HGTV has been running the Risky Business older episodes right before the new episode.    The only reason I noticed is that my cable guide shows it as new, when it's actually a rerun, with some useless tips put in. 

I did like the giant vine/tree/shrub or whatever that was.    Poor Jeff finding the bees living in the foliage was bizarre.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Tarek and Christiana aren't even trying anymore. That million dollar home was friggin ugly. First of all, I know they’re all about open concept, but that main living area was too open. It looked like they’d staged a warehouse. Everything was so open in that cavernous space, I couldn’t imagine putting a TV in there and actually hearing the sound. I agree with removing that huge brick wall, but I wish there had been a little more definition of the spaces. And don’t get me started on Christina’s Lego block design on the fireplace. It looked cheap and tacky.

And the bathroom. Why doesn’t someone stop Tarek from putting those busy, seizure-inducing tiles on the floor and the walls? I got dizzy just looking at that room. I can’t imagine actually spending time in those bathrooms. 

And on the deck, I liked the redwood better than the grey paint. But that’s just my opinion. And it’s not Tarek and Christina’s fault, but there’s no grassy or open area in that backyard for kids to play. I imagine that a 4-bedroom home would be for families with children. 

The bedrooms looked nice. That’s the one nice thing I can say.

And where was the laundry?  For a million dollars, I would want a designated indoor laundry room. 

• Love 6
On 10/26/2019 at 7:29 PM, topanga said:

...It looked like they’d staged a warehouse. Everything was so open in that cavernous space, I couldn’t imagine putting a TV in there and actually hearing the sound. I agree with removing that huge brick wall, but I wish there had been a little more definition of the spaces. And don’t get me started on Christina’s Lego block design on the fireplace. It looked cheap and tacky...

I've stated at least once before that the layout of these open homes make them look like furniture store showrooms. Wasn't feeling the fireplace either. 

• Love 6

More and more Tarek, talks as if this is his show, I’m sure he wishes this was so.  I think Christina brings in the viewers.  Until he created his new cooler, friendlier, silly personality, he had none.  Every. once in a while, he slips and you can the  nasty old Tarek.  Among his many talents(😂), he now considers himself, designer extraordinaire.  Doesn’t really need Christina anymore.  However bad her designing skills may be, his are a thousand times worse.  He’s a moron.  

• Love 4