Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It all feels very unseemly.   I can't bring myself to watch the show anymore.   I tried the other day and caught a scene where Christina is accusing Tarek of being angry at her because she's dating, and Tarek backs down like a whipped dog.    Not that I want him to fight back or argue.  I don't want to see any of this.   This show's hook was that they're a young family who found a way to survive the recession and turned it into a new career.   Now it's a passive-aggressive War of the Roses.   Admittedly, I don't know the full story of what went wrong with these two, but from my POV it looks like he got cancer, she started fooling around with the help, and then it all went to hell.  Now the cheater is out there living it up and treating Tarek like dirt.   The show went from being about their professional flips to their personal flops.   Not must-see TV.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, millennium said:

It all feels very unseemly.   I can't bring myself to watch the show anymore.   I tried the other day and caught a scene where Christina is accusing Tarek of being angry at her because she's dating, and Tarek backs down like a whipped dog.    Not that I want him to fight back or argue.  I don't want to see any of this.   This show's hook was that they're a young family who found a way to survive the recession and turned it into a new career.   Now it's a passive-aggressive War of the Roses.   Admittedly, I don't know the full story of what went wrong with these two, but from my POV it looks like he got cancer, she started fooling around with the help, and then it all went to hell.  Now the cheater is out there living it up and treating Tarek like dirt.   The show went from being about their professional flips to their personal flops.   Not must-see TV.

I get the impression that Christina thinks she is all that.  She seems to think she is the star of the show and that fans tune in to see her.  Since the show began, her transformation has been front and center with the hair extensions, fake lashes, manicures and stiletto heels.  I think she really does believe that all of their showbiz success has been her doing and she wants the big life of the star that she thinks she is.  For me, she has always seemed very phony and artificial when compared to Tarek who seemed more genuine onscreen if not exactly comfortable.

• Love 18

In the microcosm of Flip or Flop, Christina was all that.  Tarek is a stiff, the show was formulaic, but you could always count on Christina to be eye-catching.   But take her out of the show, put her in magazines alongside stories about truly talented and naturally beautiful women, and she's a nobody.   The seas may part for her at the travertine store, but that's where it stops.    As my grandmother would have said, "she's gotten too big for her britches."

Edited by millennium
  • Love 13

This weekend Christina married her latest boyfriend.     It was one of those fake parties, that turns into a wedding.    I guess that's the only way anyone in the public eye can have a private wedding.      

Best wishes to the couple, and their kids.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Doubt it. It’s her thing. 

Agree...but she got what she wanted: a new husband, a new show, and a lot of publicity. Time for her to grow up and act like she deserves what she got.

11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This weekend Christina married her latest boyfriend.     It was one of those fake parties, that turns into a wedding.    I guess that's the only was anyone in the public eye can have a private wedding.      

Best wishes to the couple, and their kids.   

Christina didn't have a 'private wedding'.  She sold the rights to People magazine and undoubtedly solicited various wedding related businesses to give her free stuff in return for a mention in the article.  It was totally a cynical merchandising ploy to monetize her nuptials.  She is not Angelina Jolie, I doubt the paparazzi would've been hiding in the trees trying to get pictures had the date of the wedding been known in advance.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7

So much for romantic, and private.   However, considering everything she wears or uses is probably sponsored I should have expected it.      I'm just hoping this is the last marriage for her, and whenever Tarek finally grows up that's it for him too, because the kids deserve better than having a revolving door of step parents, and step family members that are there for a while and then gone.     

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

the kids deserve better than having a revolving door of step parents,

Revolving door??  Unless they both have had previous secret marriages that we don't know about, I don't see any revolving door of step parents.

IMO, it's Chrissy that needs to grow up and stop rolling her eyes at everything Tarek says.

• Love 3

No, I mean I hope this marriage for Christina lasts, and whoever Tarek marries one of these days lasts, so they won't end up with a different set of step parents over the years, through marriage after marriage.        I'm also hoping Christina grows up, and stops sniping all of the time at Tarek now.    She really does have nasty attitude she's not hiding very well.   

I have a friend who had parents that divorced, remarried others, divorced again, remarried, and they ended up with ex-stepparents, stepbrothers and sisters, a few half siblings, and it was a mess, and damaged my friend for life.        I think in my friend's case there were at least three marriages each after her parent's divorce.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I saw a pic of Christina on her wedding day. Usually I could say someone looked so beautiful and stunning on such a day. However in her case she’s always so overdone that she looked exactly the same on her wedding day as she does when she’s checking out a house. The only diff is the dress!

• Love 8

Actually, there is a new show with her doing designs for clients.   I'm skipping that.   Plus, it also includes her finding a place big enough for her new blended family, of her two kids, his two kids, and the new kid they're having together.    Christina on the Coast is the name (they just advertised it, or I wouldn't know the name). 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Actually, there is a new show with her doing designs for clients.   I'm skipping that.   Plus, it also includes her finding a place big enough for her new blended family, of her two kids, his two kids, and the new kid they're having together.    Christina on the Coast is the name (they just advertised it, or I wouldn't know the name). 

Yeah. I have no desire to watch a show with her as the star. She was tolerable,on Flip or Flop only because of Tarek. 

• Love 6

How is she all of a sudden a interior decorator/designer?  

The original show had both her and Tarek as Realtors, who went into flipping houses when the real estate market hit a major downturn.  

I've searched online to see what her background is (college, other training), and there is nothing.  I know some people just have a knack for decorating, but if I'm paying big money for someone to redo my home, I want a little more than just a knack for decorating.

She really does the same stuff over and over.  She decorates the flips in her style, what she likes.  I always thought a flip should be nice, but neutral enough that the buyers didn't have to spend more money to make it over in their own style (or it'd turn off buyers who didn't like the bright paint, etc.).

I'd read about Christina's new baby; they were going to have a gender reveal type of special or something else.  Tarek "inadvertently" let the baby's gender slip; the kids must have told him.  When asked, Christina tried to laugh it off, like it was no big deal.  Sure, Jan.

• Love 3

How is she all of a sudden a interior decorator/designer?  

I foresee a similarity to the Brady Bunch movie, where everything Mike designed had the same aesthetic as his house. Christina will advise open floor plans (which I believe are already passe) subway tile and glass mosaic backsplashes to every homeowner ever. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Desert Flippers is entertaining enough, although I wonder if Eric and Lindsay are required to say the phrase "Indoor/Outdoor Lifestyle" at least once per episode.

And do people in Palm Springs actually eat their dinners outside? I live in Scottsdale (not too far away) and we would never dream of eating our meals in the backyard.

• Love 1

From watching a lot of shows about Palm Springs, there is a lot of indoor/outdoor living, that's why they have the mist systems, and outdoor kitchens, but they're usually covered.        There are a lot of people who buy there, and retire there, or it's their second home for weekends, and vacations.     There is also a huge vacation or short term rental market there too.   My guess is that homes that aren't HOA properties would be more desirable, because HOAs probably would restrict short term rentals.     I bet a lot of the buyers are investors, not just home buyers.

Because of the outrageous prices in LA, people have started buying in Palm Springs instead of LA, or San Francisco, and they rent a place where they work.      

• Love 1

Christina By the Coast will have it’s own thread I’m sure. If not already.  I wouldn’t call her a designer. She more or less fell into it with a reality show. I’ve seen her work on the show and I don’t think I would hire her. That said, she’s miles ahead of Aubry fro Flip or Flop: Vegas. Compared to Aubry Christina is a genius.

• Love 3
On 5/12/2019 at 6:23 PM, ByaNose said:

. Compared to Aubry Christina is a genius.

Not really, Aubry does not take herself too seriously. She knows what she is doing, designing over-the-top houses and condos for a Vegas market. Yes, some are way out there but once you remove all the crazy accessories and ultra lux furniture, the new owners can make it their own. 

Christina seems to think shes curing cancer. ALL her designs are so serious and completely bland and boring. She doesn't believe color exists at all. 

Did anybody see her new show? I refuse. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Ninamags said:

Not really, Aubry does not take herself too seriously. She knows what she is doing, designing over-the-top houses and condos for a Vegas market. Yes, some are way out there but once you remove all the crazy accessories and ultra lux furniture, the new owners can make it their own. 

Christina seems to think shes curing cancer. ALL her designs are so serious and completely bland and boring. She doesn't believe color exists at all. 

It looks like the first show airs on Sunday the 26th. I'll watch the first one so I can see the all white kitchen. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

Looks like Christina got Izzy in the divorce. 😛

Christina on the Coast: It was a fine renovation, happy to see Izzy, too much about the personal life, same ole same ole design. gray, white, black. gold handles. yawn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Ninamags said:

She knows what she is doing, designing over-the-top houses and condos for a Vegas market.

But that's her problem. People in Vegas are no different than any other metro area. We don't want/need all the glitz/glamour.

Aubry is the Hildi of the ForF franchise. Ugh!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

But that's her problem. People in Vegas are no different than any other metro area. We don't want/need all the glitz/glamour.

Aubry is the Hildi of the ForF franchise. Ugh!

Aubrey is a designer for people who think 'Honeymoon in Vegas' is a documentary.  I think most of her designs are meant for Airbnb or VRBO rentals to people craving a kitschy Vegas trip.  I cannot imagine anyone living fulltime in one of her creations.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Ninamags said:

I've always liked Izzy. 

Izzy was about the only thing I liked about this show.  Christina has now become too overexposed.  Tarek has his own issues, but to his credit, he's kept a much lower public profile.

I agree with much too much personal stuff.  She's not with Tarek any longer.  I get it, but I did nor need to know that she made out with Ant on their first date.

I feel for Taylor, Brayden, and the baby-to-be.  I give this marriage about five years, if that.

• Love 7
On 5/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, Ninamags said:

I watched it. I didn't like it, but I much prefer Tarek. I'll give it one more chance, maybe, then I'm done.

• Love 3

I watched her new show simply because I'm tired of reruns of the Waco wierdos and Property Brothers. It wasn't nearly as obnoxious as I thought it might be but I could care less about her personal life.

• Love 4

Please move all future discussion of Christina on the Coast into this newly created topic:

31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Are they planning to do any more seasons of Flip or Flop? There hasn't been a new episode since October of last year.

Since they are divorced and Christina has her own show, I'm fairly certain this show is over with.

Tarek is saying in his Instagram that they are currently filming episodes of FF and that they’ll be on later this summer. So maybe August? 

Although both seemed to have moved on to other endeavors, like Tarek and his new real estate company with beautiful partners/realtors, they would be dumb to completely be done with their main money-maker. That’s what made them popular and successful.

its too soon to tell about Christina’s new show and his new projects so they most def need to keep their cash cow going. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, car54 said:

Looks like they're going to work together.

Meh. I'm pretty much over them. And Christina for sure.

Apparently, Tarek will have his own show sometime in the future. It's about cancer. And that's all I could gather from the vague trailer. But I'm intrigued enough to check it out. 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, chessiegal said:

Anyone know how much money they make per episode? I always assumed it's not much. TV shows are expensive to produce.

At one time (when they were still together), I read an article that said they made $10,000 an episode.

Just saw a commercial on HGTV.  New episodes of ForF start August 1.

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

At one time (when they were still together), I read an article that said they made $10,000 an episode.

so I just heard that Tarek is getting his own show as well ( a pilot anyway) as well as new  episodes of  flip or flop

Edited by sue450
spelling
  • Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, topanga said:

Apparently, Tarek will have his own show sometime in the future. It's about cancer.

I believe you're thinking of "Chasing the Cure" coming to TNT/TBS. It's an interactive show about people with undiagnosed or mysterious illnesses. Tarek is in a commercial for the show and he talks about the viewer email that led to his thyroid cancer diagnosis, but I don't think it's "his own show" exactly.

• Useful 1

Has anyone noticed the promo for the new season?  Their last names are mentioned, as if to make sure that viewers remember that they are divorced.  To me, the way the voiceover says Anstead almost seems pissed off or annoyed that Tarek and Christina are no longer married or that she's remarried.  It comes across as "Christina...sigh...Anstead." 

Not that I'm a huge fan of her or Ant, but I think it's odd that HGTV has released a promo that seems annoyed with her.

• Love 3
On 12/29/2018 at 5:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

No, I mean I hope this marriage for Christina lasts, and whoever Tarek marries one of these days lasts, so they won't end up with a different set of step parents over the years, through marriage after marriage.     

I think, even if they do marry multiple times, Tarek has already shown that he's more private about his life than she is.  She will sell her soul and apparently her children if it keeps her in the public eye.  I don't know Tarek, and I'm not claiming that he doesn't have issues, but at least he's demonstrated some maturity about creating some boundaries and privacy for the kids.  We will have only seen him in the upcoming season of ForF, and we'll see how much the kids are involved.  With Christina, she can't stay away from a camera, and Taylor and Brayden are usually shown with her. 

I foresee that becoming an issue, particularly with Taylor as she gets older, if Christina continues with things as they are.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I think, even if they do marry multiple times, Tarek has already shown that he's more private about his life than she is.  She will sell her soul and apparently her children if it keeps her in the public eye.  I don't know Tarek, and I'm not claiming that he doesn't have issues, but at least he's demonstrated some maturity about creating some boundaries and privacy for the kids.  We will have only seen him in the upcoming season of ForF, and we'll see how much the kids are involved.  With Christina, she can't stay away from a camera, and Taylor and Brayden are usually shown with her. 

I foresee that becoming an issue, particularly with Taylor as she gets older, if Christina continues with things as they are.

I agree, Christina uses the kids as props to promote her 'brand' far more than Tarek does.  I expect the new baby will be seen at least as much as her other kids, maybe more, since I presume Christina wants to play up her new family and her new hubby also has a reality career to promote.

• Love 5
On 7/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Ohmo said:

Are you all watching? I haven’t decided yet. 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

Are you all watching? I haven’t decided yet. 

Yeah, Tarek's half of the show, and so far, he hasn't done anything that I'd find obnoxious.  If that changes, I may change my viewing habits.  Lots of people get divorced, and you never really know what goes on in someone else's marriage.  He's kept the rest of his life pretty private.  Plus, there is Izzy to consider.  I like him.

• Love 4

Yes, you never know what goes on in a marriage. We have an older divorced woman who lives next to us - it was their weekend home when she was married. She said one day her husband announced he didn't want to be married to her anymore, so she moved to the weekend house. They own an auto collision business together, and still work together.

• Love 3

As long as they focus on the renovations and the flip, the show should continue to do okay. 

I'm not gonna care about Christina and her hubby or new baby or anything else other than house renovations. 

She had been acting like a bitch toward Tarek on some of the episodes where it was known they had divorced (last season, maybe?) but she did change her attitude towards the end of it. 

They should know better than to mess with their cash cow. 

PS. Tarek will get his own HGTV show next year. He helps out people who want to start a flipping business. That will be interesting. More so than someones "lifestyle". 🙄

• Love 6