Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DisneyBoy

Gifts: Success Stories and Suggestions...and Cautionary Tales

16 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I also like to use weird boxes, my son once got a beeper in a tampon box and this year I wrapped the grandkids pajamas in cereal boxes.

I can't stop laughing at this! I don't mind gift wrapping, I wish I were better at it, but I only usually do it around Christmas. Even for birthdays it's something like a gift card or baked goods, so I don't get the practice I need.

Y'all sound like us -- my dad used to wrap Mom's gifts odd -- like one shoe and a Coke bottle in a shoe box, and the matching shoe in a totally different type of box. Or he'll do the nesting thing, using a whole roll of tape in the process. When my sis turned 25, I gave her 25 individually wrapped presents, numbered so she had to open them in order. Some were little trinkets, some were nice gifts. A few years later, she got her revenge -- I turned 30 and she gave me 30 strands of beads, each wrapped separately.

• Like 1

I always ended up helping Mom with the Christmas wrapping.  She never did it in advance because she needed to make sure that everyone got pretty equal presents in terms of number, cost, etc...things were pretty tight most years so getting socks & undies or new jeans was not uncommon.  Each year one of us got the "big" present - a bike or something like that - but we all knew that only one of us would get something like that and they rotated.

Anyway, Christmas Eve would be when Mom was a wrapping mad woman.  Once I started helping her, she would do my gifts first and then she would sort and I would wrap.  When I got old enough to go out with my friends, I would come home past midnight and she would be exhausted trying to do it.  I would tell her to separate all the gifts into piles by recipient, write out the gift tags and go to bed.  It was pretty funny and a nice little thing that we went through each year.  I can't do most things as well as Mom, but I can wrap better.

I used to wrap all of my mom's presents for her too. 

It's 2:20 am and I'm wide awake. 

What's your best gift success story?  Mine was a Christmas gift for my daughter when she was 15.  This was before cell phones and she was on my phone constantly, the phone rang a hundred times a day and it was always for her. She really really wanted her own phone.   She was a great kid, she got good grades, helped a lot around the house, made her own money by babysitting and was just a good kid, I had none of the usual teenage problems with her. 

About a week before Christmas I had the phone company come while she was in school and hook up a phone line in her bedroom. I had them do it behind her dresser so she wouldn't see it. I bought her a phone and an answering machine. On Xmas morning while they were eating breakfast I snuck into her room and hooked the phone up to the jack.  She opened a present that just had a phone number in it.  I told her to call the number to see who it was, that somebody wanted to talk to her.  She didn't know what the hell was going on. She called the number and the phone started ringing in her room.  She's standing there so confused and you could see it slowly dawn on her what was going on.  She was so happy she started crying and tripping all over the other presents so she could get to us to hug us.  I had never seen her so happy. She was on her phone all day long. 

I think that was my biggest gift success story. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, backformore said:

We use a lot of gift bags -  easy to wrap, don't have to find the scotch tape, and best of all, completely recyclable. 

As I said, I don't mind wrapping, but I have an unhealthy attachment to gift bags. Sometimes, I have a hard time giving the really cute ones away.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Popples said:

As I said, I don't mind wrapping, but I have an unhealthy attachment to gift bags. Sometimes, I have a hard time giving the really cute ones away.

That's funny.  I use a lot of gift bags, but the really cute ones I usually give to my husband and sons, so the bags stay in the family.   sometimes with the same name sticker on it, year after year. 

• Like 1

The best ones stay with immediate family, but my mother blabbed it to my grandparents (I was so embarrassed), but they sort of understand and give me the bags back after they get their gifts out.

1 hour ago, Popples said:

The best ones stay with immediate family, but my mother blabbed it to my grandparents (I was so embarrassed), but they sort of understand and give me the bags back after they get their gifts out.

Well, not with me. I consider the bag part of the gift. You're not getting it back!

• Like 3

I don't use gift bags but I have a huge gift bag full of them. I don't know why I save them year after year if I don't use them. Then again I could say that about a lot of stuff. The grandkids play Santa with them sometimes but other than that they just sit on the laundry room shelf. 

I should give them away. 

On 06/12/2016 at 5:35 AM, Maharincess said:

I used to wrap all of my mom's presents for her too. 

It's 2:20 am and I'm wide awake. 

What's your best gift success story?  Mine was a Christmas gift for my daughter when she was 15.  This was before cell phones and she was on my phone constantly, the phone rang a hundred times a day and it was always for her. She really really wanted her own phone.   She was a great kid, she got good grades, helped a lot around the house, made her own money by babysitting and was just a good kid, I had none of the usual teenage problems with her. 

About a week before Christmas I had the phone company come while she was in school and hook up a phone line in her bedroom. I had them do it behind her dresser so she wouldn't see it. I bought her a phone and an answering machine. On Xmas morning while they were eating breakfast I snuck into her room and hooked the phone up to the jack.  She opened a present that just had a phone number in it.  I told her to call the number to see who it was, that somebody wanted to talk to her.  She didn't know what the hell was going on. She called the number and the phone started ringing in her room.  She's standing there so confused and you could see it slowly dawn on her what was going on.  She was so happy she started crying and tripping all over the other presents so she could get to us to hug us.  I had never seen her so happy. She was on her phone all day long. 

I think that was my biggest gift success story. 

I love that story!!

What my sister Michel sent me for Christmas: James Herriot's Yorkshire (a text and pictorial guidebook to the various settings written about by that famous British veterinarian in his life and work); it's from 1979, and I really appreciated it when I first saw it (I took several pictures of it; I would have posted them all, but there is a limit on how much I can put in a post, so the others will have to be in another post)

herriotbook1.jpg

herriotbook2.jpg

Does anyone have any interesting yet inexpensive gift suggestions for coworkers? I'm talking 10 of them in my department (creative/production team--all of us former art-school types), both genders, ranging from mid-20s to mid-40s (I'm the latter). I'm not management so there's really no expectations of me; it just feels right to give something to people I see every day. But I don't want to go broke doing it...

• Like 1

Depending on your range for inexpensive, I'd go with something cute like the Lego figurine key chains or a cool pen.  Tule, Sansa, Sharpie thin points, etc...all in the office suppl store.  I find a good pen very satisfying.

• Like 1

What I got my nephew Eli for Christmas: the 16-disc Mill Creek DVD lot release of Knight Rider (1982-86 NBC adventure series w/David Hasselhoff)

What my nephew sent me for Christmas: a cup which I am now using as a teacup with a really humorous saying that is quite apropos to me, being the cat person-- "You've Cat to Be Kitten Me Right Meow."

knightridercompleteseries1.jpg

knightridercompleteseries2.jpg

kittencup.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does anyone have any interesting yet inexpensive gift suggestions for coworkers? I'm talking 10 of them in my department (creative/production team--all of us former art-school types), both genders, ranging from mid-20s to mid-40s (I'm the latter). I'm not management so there's really no expectations of me; it just feels right to give something to people I see every day. But I don't want to go broke doing it...

Gift cards - even $10 to a local place, or a chain like Starbucks or Panera.   or a small box of gourmet chocolates.  You could also get a small gift from Yankee Candle - a votive and holder, in a Christmas scent. 

Edited by backformore
  • Like 2

My husband's boss used to give Starbucks gift cards. I hink they were only $5 or so, but still a good gift (I thought) because it is something you can use rather than accumulate. I have a co-worker who always gives a small box of chocolates. I like it.

• Like 1

Do you make homemade jams or preserves? Most people don't and would appreciate a small jar if you do make them. A nice treat for those on your list, or pre-made spices in a jar.

• Like 1

When I last worked in an office, I also liked to give a small gift to all my coworkers. If I had time, I'd bring small loaves of quickbread or homemade salsa. If I was short on time, I'd hit the gourmet chocolate aisle and find bars that I knew would be liked. Non-chocoholics got other gourmet candy or nonsweet snacks.

Being a design geek, I'd appreciate a cool retro-looking pen or fun notepad for brainstorming. There are Moleskine knockoffs that are less costly, but the real thing is always appreciated. Flash drives in cartoon/superhero themes are fun, too.

And nesting gifts.  Boxes in boxes in boxes.  All wrapped.

We did this last year to our six-year-old granddaughter.  She had asked for an Ipod ("it's all I really really really want").  She had opened all the family gifts and all the Santa gifts and no Ipod.   I was really proud of her because she didn't throw a tantrum over it and she suggested that maybe it would happen for her birthday.  After a while I snapped my fingers and said,"Wait, there's one more gift for you that we forgot."  The first box was pretty big so it didn't cross her mind that it could be her dream gift.  Then those layers of wrapped boxes really threw her off ("it's just another box!") until she finally got to the Ipod.   When she realized what it was, her eyes sparkled, she started shaking and her mouth opened as if she were going to scream...she froze that way for like ten seconds.  Pure joy!

• Like 4

I generally picked out jewelry for my dad to give my mom (it's going to be mine someday - better make sure I like it, too <g>), and we'd always put the little jewelry box inside a "regular" box so it wasn't obvious.  One year, my dad put a brick in the box, so she spent all the time leading up to Christmas wondering what this heavy gift was. 

• Like 2

For her 16th birthday I got my daughter and her friends tickets to see Britney Spears.  I put two in a B encyclopedia and the other two in an S encyclopedia and wrapped it all in a huge box.  She didn't see the tickets at first and thought she'd gotten encyclopedias.  

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Hopefully nobody gets me Ten Lords-a-Leaping for Christmas. I still have four in the freezer from last year.

So you're a cannibal.  Good to know ;)

• Like 1

On a random holiday gift exchange note, I am so DONE with ornament exchanges!!! Seriously, I have the worst ornament exchange karma ever and I'm not even sure why. Maybe I'm just not aggressively bitchy enough to capably play those exchange games with all their necessary "stealing" tactics.  

My neighbor in my condo building hosted one tonight for some of us gals around here, I guess because only females get into this bullshit. I've been to maybe 5 or 6 in my entire life, and yet every single damned time, I *always* end up with the shittiest ornament that nobody else wants.

Never mind the loving care and fun I have picking out cute ornaments that other folks fight over((for this one I chose a young Elvis in a glittery golden Santa suit))---if it's an ugly afterthought,  fate will somehow make sure that I'm the unlucky soul who ends up faking a smile while taking the ultimate fugnament of the event home.

Of all those ugly ornament exchanges I've endured, the one I'll never forget was my first ever ornament exchange in 5th grade....my supposed best friend at the time stole this cute ice skating Rodney Reindeer ornament I was sooooo excited to win first: I couldn't wait to hang him in my bedroom!! I even asked her to please lay off and steal someone else's ornament. But she stole him from me twice throughout the exchange, that bitch. By the end of the game I ended up with some homemade straw/ribbon angel that looked like something a homeless person would hand you on the street for extra change. My straw/ribbon angel came apart in its bag by the time I got it home. Meanwhile, my friend who stole the ornament I loved broke that Rodney Reindeer ornament a few days later at school because she thought it was funny to toss it around in the air like a baseball. Bitch.

I'm invited to yet another ornament exchange next weekend. I'll be skipping that one because I refuse to get all excited once again about excitedly picking out an extra fun and cute ornament only to be stuck taking home some Dollar Store piece of shit because unlike everyone else there, some Becky With the Bad Taste didn't bother to shop around for something special.

And yes, this is a complete and total first world problem I'm bitching about and it's absurd that I'm still so bitter about the ghosts that still haunt me from ornament exchanges of holidays past, so just serve me up some cheese with my whine here, thankyouverymuch. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Hopefully nobody gets me Ten Lords-a-Leaping for Christmas. I still have four in the freezer from last year.

Not familiar with this outside of the carol - some kind of food?

OK - I need advice.   Son, age 25 has a new girlfriend.  (or as he says, a sort-of girlfriend)   We haven't met her yet, we will meet her at Christmas.  I want to get her a gift, but have no idea what.  Son said "I think she likes jewelry, she wears a lot of rings."  NO, not buying a ring.  "She was wearing pearl earrings yesterday."  So I thought, earrings might be a good gift.  I asked him to see photos on his phone, to see if she's a dangly-earring type or a post-earring type.  No earrings in any photos. 

I raised boys, I'm old, I have no idea what 20-something girls like, what's an appropriate gift from "mom of sort-of boyfriend?"   There's a mall close to us, what stores do women this age shop at?  I don't want to buy anything expensive,  since I don't know her at all yet.

What I know about her - she graduated college, has a professional job, lives with her parents. She's pretty, and might possibly be "The One"  for him. Anybody have any ideas? 

Edited by backformore

No jewellery for someone you don't know.

Go to Macys or Sephora.  Buy Philosophy shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath.  They come in a variety of scents, I find the best for someone you don't really know is Fresh Cream.   It's not really perfumy, and is pretty neutral, so you're safe unless she has a sensitivity to all scented products.  If you want to top it up, add some warm socks, or a simple wool scarf, or a cozy blanket, or some hot chocolate. 

http://www.philosophy.com/bath-body/bath-shower-gels

• Like 2

Backformore, I *highly* recommend that you just go with a gift card. Somewhere like Amazon or Target would be just fine, $25-$50 being a fair amount.

As much as shower gels/scents/hot chocolate packs/candles/scarves may seem like a good idea in these cases, according to many a random survey, those are all among the top regifted items. Leave the "meaningful gifts" guessing to folks you know better and just give people what they really want: gift cards.

Speaking of gift cards, if you're wondering what to get your children's teachers for Christmas, this is the only thing we want: GIFT CARDS. And I repeat: all teachers want are *gift cards.* We literally gloat over and exchange them between us like precious gems. Things teachers are sick of getting and do *not* want include: baked goods, scarves, mugs, notepads, candy, anything with apples displayed on them, plants, jewelry....trust me on all this, I've taught for over 15 years in multiple different schools/grades/subjects, and I can still vouch that all teachers want are gift cards. And maybe booze if you're bold enough to go there, which several parents of mine actually were once, bless their souls.

• Like 1

I HATE gift cards.  Nothing says "I know nothing about you" like a gift card. I'd rather have cold, hard cash, at least I can spend it where I want.

Ask son what she likes, what is he getting her?  

8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Not familiar with this outside of the carol - some kind of food?

I was just playing around with the idea of what the hell kind of gift is Ten Lords a Leaping? and that's where my brain ended up.  

I believe I've mentioned in other threads that me alone with my thoughts can be... interesting. Sometimes I beat myself up. Sometimes I solve all my problems. And sometimes I come up with what you saw here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Speaking of gift cards, if you're wondering what to get your children's teachers for Christmas, this is the only thing we want: GIFT CARDS. And I repeat: all teachers want are *gift cards.* We literally gloat over and exchange them between us like precious gems. Things teachers are sick of getting and do *not* want include: baked goods, scarves, mugs, notepads, candy, anything with apples displayed on them, plants, jewelry....trust me on all this, I've taught for over 15 years in multiple different schools/grades/subjects, and I can still vouch that all teachers want are gift cards. And maybe booze if you're bold enough to go there, which several parents of mine actually were once, bless their souls.

My mother taught for years and could have opened her own second hand shop for mugs. The students that gave her gift cards are the ones she still mentions today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Backformore, I *highly* recommend that you just go with a gift card. Somewhere like Amazon or Target would be just fine, $25-$50 being a fair amount.

As much as shower gels/scents/hot chocolate packs/candles/scarves may seem like a good idea in these cases, according to many a random survey, those are all among the top regifted items. Leave the "meaningful gifts" guessing to folks you know better and just give people what they really want: gift cards.

I have volunteered at my local elementary school for years and YES to the above of what not to get teachers. They do want gift cards and for teacher appreciation week and holidays, we try to shower them with gift cards. One of our PTA leaders can sweet talk almost any local restaurant out of a couple of free gift cards for teachers. She is amazing. We give them not only cards from local places, but also Amazon, Apple, and Southwest Airlines. 

Regarding what to get the son's new GF, I never give anything scented. Too many people I know are either sensitive to fragrances or are picky about them. I would either ask someone closer to her age what might be good or if you have an upscale store nearby like Nordstroms, they would have good ideas. Their customer service is stellar. If you have a Stein Mart nearby, they have good prices on cute clutch purses, warm scarves. I wouldn't get jewelry because she may not feel free to return the item if it's not her style and may feel obligated to wear it.

edited to add.. Someone on the Beauty thread may have a suggestion of lipstick or nail polish gift boxes. Ask son if she wears those items first. Those ladies on that thread are so knowledgeable about the new "in" items.

another edit...maybe something from Brighton? Everyone I know likes Brighton. Or ask son if she has any hobbies or is a fan of any sports team.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I got ya, @JTMACC99.  I just always thought you were an "eight maids a-milking" kinda guy...

Hee! There are a couple gifts in that song I wouldn't mind receiving. Who wouldn't like five gold rings?

And of course, my mind has raced off the tracks again as I think about turning down two turtle doves but accepting nine ladies dancing, and I'm reminded of the great old Conan O'Brien line from Marge vs. the Monorail.

2kSqCEPt.jpg

Wiggum: Hey, according to the charter as chief constable I'm supposed to get a pig every month, and two comely lasses of virtue true.

Quimby: Keep the pig. How many broads do I get?

@backformore - If she drinks, I would go with a bottle of champagne.  You can spend a relatively modest amount and get something decent.  Someone on the Beauty forum mentioned hand lotion by Bunny Butt.  I ordered some a while back and it was really good.  I almost immediately ordered some more as gifts which were very much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was just playing around with the idea of what the hell kind of gift is Ten Lords a Leaping? and that's where my brain ended up.  

I believe I've mentioned in other threads that me alone with my thoughts can be... interesting. Sometimes I beat myself up. Sometimes I solve all my problems. And sometimes I come up with what you saw here.

What does it say about me that I totally got your joke and laughed at the idea of "Lords a leaping" in your freezer?  kind of a Jeffrey Dahmer thing, was what I thought of.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My son is getting her an Amazon Echo, to play music in her house.  It's a pretty cool toy, he tends to  go with tech gifts.  He was the one who suggested jewelry.   I think I might go with the lotion set and a scarf.  Gift cards are so impersonal,  they seem cold, like giving cash.

thanks again everybody, you guys are the best!

15 minutes ago, backformore said:

What does it say about me that I totally got your joke and laughed at the idea of "Lords a leaping" in your freezer?  kind of a Jeffrey Dahmer thing, was what I thought of.

I got it and repeated it (with proper credit, of course).

Edited by auntlada
  • Like 1

backformore, since she is just starting out in a professional career, go with a classic scarf that will last her for years and be work appropriate.  Burberry, if you are inclined to spend that much, otherwise, a simple 100% wool or cashmere in a neutral color.   You learn early on when dressing for work that one really good piece is better than a number of cheap ones.

Edited by Quof
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Quof said:

You learn early on when dressing for work that one really good piece is better than a number of cheap ones.

That is great advice. The sooner I learned it, the sooner I stopped spending good money after bad.

29 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That is great advice. The sooner I learned it, the sooner I stopped spending good money after bad.

Nah, you've lost a fair amount of weight.  Wouldn't want to get too attached or too invested in a wardrobe you happily no longer fit.  Of course, if it gives you incentive to stay at a healthier weight, invest now!

• Like 1

It's hard to know what to do in a situation where you have to buy a gift for someone you've never met and have little information about.  I find gift cards impersonal, yes, to the point of being rude if I got one from someone I'm close to (the modern-day equivalent of picking up a trinket at the gas station on your way to Christmas dinner), but they also allow someone to pick out whatever they want, guaranteeing they'll like what they wind up with.  So in the case of someone you don't know, would (s)he rather you try to pick out something personal but have it turn out to be something (s)he won't use/doesn't like or skip the attempt at putting some thought into it and give free money to go shop with?  That depends on the person - which is another thing you don't know about her or him!  I think gift cards are the safest bet in those situations.

An Amazon Echo is a pretty nice gift for someone who's only a "sort-of" girlfriend, at a young age.  Plus, he's bringing to her have Christmas dinner with his family?  That sounds like a bona fide girlfriend to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Nah, you've lost a fair amount of weight.  Wouldn't want to get too attached or too invested in a wardrobe you happily no longer fit.  Of course, if it gives you incentive to stay at a healthier weight, invest now!

I was thinking about when I was younger and bought some good suits. Well worth the investment. 

But as for now I am trying to buy a few nice things while also trying to stay in budget. Rebuilding an entire wardrobe is requiring a lot of bargain hunting at the outlets. 

My kids had various boy/girlfriends when they were younger that I bought presents for, I usually just bought the girls either one of those big makeup sampler things or a box of candy.  My daughter only had 1 boyfriend I had to buy for and I got him candy. 

I'm going to go see The Lion King this weekend in San Francisco. The tickets were an early Xmas present to my daughter and grandkids.   Live shows like that aren't really my thing but everyone else is excited so I'm trying to get excited too. 

I hope you love the whole show start to finish.....but......be prepared to love the opening number about four hundred times more than the rest.

Seriously, get to your seats early (they might lock the doors on latecomers, meaning you'll only be let in after the opening!!), get the kids calm, don't start up with snacks or other things. Just prepare for the glory. Get zen. Regulate your breathing. It's seriously like a religious experience. You'll want to soak it all in, no joke.

fate will somehow make sure that I'm the unlucky soul who ends up faking a smile while taking the ultimate fugnament of the event home.

Okay, solution: buy a small three-foot fake tree to haul out evey year and display the ugly ornaments on it. Put it in a corner next to your booze so when guests come over and get a drinky drink, they can rip on the ugliness and thoughtlessness of those ornaments rather than each other. And it will make your real deal tree look awesome by comparison.

Or: slice the lame ornaments up and hot glue them together into something so bizarre it's awesome. Make it a totem.

NOW: What are the best gifts for the elderly? No books or movies can work in this situation. Last year I gave a nice sweater but I need better ideas. Help! 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 7:59 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I love you.

OK - I need advice.   Son, age 25 has a new girlfriend.  (or as he says, a sort-of girlfriend)   We haven't met her yet, we will meet her at Christmas.  I want to get her a gift, but have no idea what. 

Condoms, Rose! Condoms Condoms CONDOMS!!!

Ask son what she likes, what is he getting her? 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1