Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Relationships

• Start Topic

I could picture Reid's dad turning up and stressing Reid out and wanting Reid to treat him with respect and stuff.. And Reid walks away and Hotch steps in and says "Do you have any idea what you did to him emotionally?" or something like that.

• Love 1

I would much rather have Reid himself say to SD's face that too much damage has occurred, that he has come to reconcile himself with what happened but doesn't want a relationship with good ol dad at all. Then he walks away. Then someone like Morgan or Hotch or Rossi comes up and says, "You heard him. Go away."

• Love 6

What are some of your favorite pairings?

I'm a huge fan of Garcia as many of y'all know and disagree with....so I love her with everyone...

I like the Garcia/Morgan Flirtation ship , but I don't like the idea of them actually dating.

My absolute favorite is Garcia/Rossi friendship, Everytime they have a moment it's always genuine and sweet.

JJ/Garcia/Emily I loved the Girls night out scenes.

Reid/Everyone...I love how he interacts with everyone! My favorite Is Reid/Prentiss 

• Love 1

Reid/Everyone...I love how he interacts with everyone! My favorite Is Reid/Prentiss 

I like Reid paired with just about anyone but JJ. But I agree with you about him and Prentiss. That pairing was also one of my all time favorites.

• Love 1

Hmmm...

Reid/Elle

Reid/Alex

Reid/Hotch back in earlier seasons when it was a warmer mentor relationship

Reid/Penelope in the first couple of seasons when they were better friends

Reid/Emily

Yeah okay, the JJ/Emily/Penelope friendship felt real and natural (probably because they have a real friendship offscreen)

Penelope/Morgan- until the end of season five maybe, then it started descending into gross, unprofessional, sexual harassing, creepy talk

Hotch/Rossi when they are interacting as equals and as confidantes

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 3

Disclaimer: I love Reid.

Reid/Hotch

Reid/Morgan

Reid/Prentiss

Reid/Rossi

Reid/Blake

Reid/Elle

And I loved early Reid/JJ, when she baked him a birthday cake, when she was so worried about him when he was with Tobias, etc.)

Hotch/Rossi

I liked Hotch/Kate a lot.

Garcia/Morgan (before they just started going Too Far, but I can still enjoy their banter)

Can I mention two duos I can't tolerate?

JJ/Morgan. I can't stand it when they're paired up.

Reid/Garcia (Garcia, he's smarter than you are. Deal with it.)

• Love 1

romantic pairings? NONE. Absolutely none of the leads with another of the leads. Nuh uh,

Friendships or when working on a case together: I'm with Droogie. Reid and anyone. I loved the almost father/son relationship he had with Gideon, and more recently, I've seen it in Rossi/Reid too. I really liked Reid working with Blake, miss her. Reid and the JJ of season 2-3-4ish. but not the condescending later version of her. 

• Love 3

I like Reid with just about anybody except Ashley Seaver and Tara Lewis (because I don't like either character).  Particular favorites are Reid/Hotch, Reid/ Morgan, and Reid/ Prentiss, with theoretical Reid/JJ and early Reid/ Garcia coming up behind.

Love Reid / Diana.  Would love to see Reid/Henry or Reid/Michael, but those are more in my head than anywhere else.

I like the Hotch/JJ and Hotch/ Emily relationships as well, even more than I like Hotch /Rossi.

I liked Morgan/Emily as well, could tolerate early Morgan/Garcia, but not now.  I also like the Morgan/Hotch relationship, because it has enough ups and downs to make it real.

I could actually have seen a Hotch/ Emily romance.  I know I write Reid/JJ, but that's because the characters get out of control.  My own preference is to see them as friends.  

And to get rid of Will altogether.

• Love 3

Interesting, JMO, that you mention Hotch/Morgan. I've thought about that since this thread started but wasn't sure how to characterize it.

Their dynamic is interesting, and we don't often see them paired up. They both just ooze alpha-maleness, both on and off-screen, which doesn't lend itself to a good relationship, IMHO. They have butted heads onscreen, and rumor has it, offscreen as well. And yes, it is quite realistic, the ebb and flow, when they're together.

Forgot Reid/Diana. Gosh I loved them. Past tense bc I know we will never see her again. I wonder if any other guest star on a TV series is still longed for, seven seasons later.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 2

I know I write Reid/JJ, but that's because the characters get out of control.

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'out of control', JMO.

My favorite pairing is, obviously, Reid and Elle, either as friends or romantically. A runner-up is Spencer and his mom, and then Reid and Hotch. Sensing a trend here. ;-)

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

i love Will&JJ but Hotch and Reid are definitely both in love with her.

Aside from his brief crush, Reid has never given any indication that he loves JJ as more than his very dear friend (on the show -- fan fiction is another story). And not once have I ever personally gotten a vibe that Hotch is in love with her. I'd believe he was in love with Reid before I'd believe he was in love with JJ.

• Love 9

Aside from his brief crush, Reid has never given any indication that he loves JJ as more than his very dear friend (on the show -- fan fiction is another story). And not once have I ever personally gotten a vibe that Hotch is in love with her. I'd believe he was in love with Reid before I'd believe he was in love with JJ.

*spits tea out on monitor laughing*

nailed it!

omg Droogie, it is dangerous to read your posts when consuming liquids..............

• Love 4

Hell, I'd believe Hotch was in love with Rossi before JJ.

• Love 4

I think Reid works so well with everyone because, out of all the characters, he's the one who is the most developed. We know his parents (especially since we've met Diana a few times), who know where he went to school, we've met some of his friends (Ethan), we know his background and the car he drives. No other character, not even Hotch I would say (Gideon might have been if he stayed), is really that developed.

Plus, let's make no mistake- Matthew Gray Gubler could have chemistry with a rock. He's just that good.

As for my favourite pairings, I've said it time and again, it's Morgan and Reid. Those two play off each other better than any other pair I've seen on television, especially when they're “equals” in a comedic sense- Morgan becomes the “straight man” while Reid is the eccentric, zany one who comes up with wild schemes, with Morgan showing disbelief until Reid proves him wrong.

They really should have their own show. I still hope we get it.

Other notable pairings that catch my eye:

-Gideon and Hotch: I liked how Hotch was Gideon's “moral compass” who kept Gideon's emotions from going out of control. When Hotch wasn't there to help Gideon after Sarah was killed, you saw how Gideon spiralled out of control, and after “Doubt”, there wasn't any going back.

Perhaps if Gideon had stayed he might have made the team more organically “go rogue”, since Hotch was always about “the straight and narrow” while Gideon wouldn't have minded cutting a few corners if it meant getting justice. This might have been the route the writers were going with until Mandy Patinkin forced their hand, and I believe it would be a gradual process, one that was cut short by Patinkin's abrupt departure.

-Gideon and Reid: Those two really did have a “father and son” dynamic, especially since I firmly believe that Gideon felt that Reid could end up like him if he wasn't nurtured properly. Who knows how that might have developed if Patinkin had stayed, at least for Season 3, and “Gideon the rogue” was in full swing- would Reid have channelled that in the wake of his torture at the hands of Tobias? Or would Reid have eventually become Gideon's “voice of reason”?

-Hotch and Rossi: Moreso the earlier seasons than now, because I think their dynamic was better then- the writers did a good job making Hotch become the emotionally troubled one, whose stoicism was a front, as well as tapping in to an unused well of Hotch's “sense of justice” being simply about his pride. Was there a better speech made on this show than Rossi's “that's not your conscience talking, Aaron, that's your ego”?

Also, Rossi picked up Gideon's predilection for being impulsive (albeit Rossi was more calculated about it), and I liked how Hotch called him out on it. As jarring as “About Face” is when you see it now, Rossi was far more entertaining then and more compelling as a character. Hotch and Rossi is also one of the rare cases where a pairing isn't one-sided- you can actually see what each character brings to the table.

• Love 5

Plus, let's make no mistake- Matthew Gray Gubler could have chemistry with a rock. He's just that good.

As for my favourite pairings, I've said it time and again, it's Morgan and Reid. Those two play off each other better than any other pair I've seen on television, especially when they're “equals” in a comedic sense- Morgan becomes the “straight man” while Reid is the eccentric, zany one who comes up with wild schemes, with Morgan showing disbelief until Reid proves him wrong.

-Gideon and Reid: Those two really did have a “father and son” dynamic, especially since I firmly believe that Gideon felt that Reid could end up like him if he wasn't nurtured properly. Who knows how that might have developed if Patinkin had stayed, at least for Season 3, and “Gideon the rogue” was in full swing- would Reid have channelled that in the wake of his torture at the hands of Tobias? Or would Reid have eventually become Gideon's “voice of reason”?

First yes, I completely agree with your assessment of the relationship between Morgan and Reid. There is a ten-year age difference between these two, and they couldn't be more different -- on the show at least. Yet their connection is so genuine and believable. I love them together. Never get tired of it. When Morgan goes all protective toward Pretty Boy, I turn to mush. My head canon about Reid is that Morgan is the very last person he would feel safe and comfortable with, and yet, Morgan is his best friend. Gosh, early writing was brilliant. We had no reason to really think Morgan loves Reid like he does, yet in "Derailed," Morgan was clearly distraught at the idea of sending Reid onto that train. Just wonderful. And I also agree that MGG could make a believable pairing with anyone.

I think Reid would have eventually become the mentor, the sage, to Gideon. Reid's wisdom and clear head would've prevailed. I think a pivotal point was in "Revelation." There was no reason to think, prior to that, that Reid's allegiance/loyalty/admiration was directed at anyone besides Gideon. And yet, he gave the clues to Hotch, not Gideon. He trusted Hotch to save him. That is huge.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 5

Yeah, of course he's in love with Reid. The world revolves around Reid.

I always felt Hotch had a soft spot, affection for JJ. He wants to protect her.

I liked Prentiss/anyone. I liked her with Hotch, Reid, Rossi, Penelope, Jordan. I thought she made Morgan tolerable. Not saying I wanted her to hook up with anyone, but it was nice. A solid representation of a working female character - able to get shit done without doing something she didn't want or 'allowing' it to happen or having to be 'in love' with someone. Also one of the only team members to stand up to Gideon. For whatever reason they thought he could do no wrong and I liked that she pointed out when he missed something.

• Love 4

Yeah, of course he's in love with Reid. The world revolves around Reid.

I always felt Hotch had a soft spot, affection for JJ. He wants to protect her.

That's.....not what Droogie said at all. I am obviously not Droogie, but while Hotch may very well have a soft spot for JJ and want to protect her, that's several leagues away from being in love with her.

• Love 2

I believe Hotch is more in love with the pilot who flies the jet more than he's in love with JJ. Heck, he's probably more in love with the person who fills the soda machine at the BAU's break room more than he's in love with JJ>

As for Reid's strong pairings with a lot of the characters on this show, I think much of it has to do with Matthew's talents (duh) but also Spencer's deep well of empathy, which allows him to not only feel for those around him, but also feel with them.

• Love 6

While I liked Reid with Dorian fine last season, the fact that the show hasn't readdressed her (and likely won't) has basically made me over any potential pairing. It was nice to see Reid connect with a woman who didn't treat him like a freak, but I think I would like to see him with someone he has a really hot intellectual connection. His connection to Dorian seemed more like a friend connection. 

• Love 1

While I liked Reid with Dorian fine last season, the fact that the show hasn't readdressed her (and likely won't) has basically made me over any potential pairing. It was nice to see Reid connect with a woman who didn't treat him like a freak, but I think I would like to see him with someone he has a really hot intellectual connection. His connection to Dorian seemed more like a friend connection. 

I don't have anything against Dorian, but while I agree that it was nice to see her not react to Spencer as if he was from the rings of Saturn, IMO an intellectual connection would probably not be the best grounds for him to start a relationship on. While there's nothing wrong with female geniuses, Reid's smarts are what makes him stand out so much, at least to me. On a show where Garcia is now allegedly a genius, that sets the bar for an intellectual connection pretty low.

• Love 2

I personally prefer Spencer to have an intellectual connection with any potential love interests as the driving factor for his attraction, rather than primarily a physical connection. I mean, before Maeve, all of Spencer's "love interests" or at least crushes were all based on physical attraction (JJ, Lila, Austin). He had nothing in common with any of these women, but he was attracted to them only because they were pretty. Maeve was entirely an intellectual connection, because he had no idea what she looked like, and I thought that was the best relationship they have written for him (the last minute of "Zugzwang" not withstanding). To me an intellectual connection does not necessarily mean equal genius (though it worked well in Maeve's case), but that he connects with someone strongly over shared interests and a shared personality (since I personally would rather see him with a fellow introvert rather an extrovert). It could be books or something else, like art or sci fi or math or whatever. I just wasn't feeling it with Dorian, though I think they could be good friends. 

• Love 1
On 12/12/2015 at 2:40 PM, Droogie said:

I know I know it is very late to reply in this thread, but as I am new to CM fandom I am catching up with all the threads. I had to reply to this as the last quote made me laugh out loud in an all packed train, commuting back home.

I can never see any romance between Reid and JJ as I find her cold in general. Her eye rolling when he speaks make me want to scream out loud. In season 12 they have made her more caring towards Reid but thats it. 

I can imagine Reid with JMO's version of JJ but not with the actual JJ on the show.

• Love 5

JMO also writes very sweet romance for JJ/Spencer. 

JJ hasn't rolled her eyes at Reid since season 9. I'm with those that think she NEVER should have been doing that in the first place, but it's long gone.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Willowy said:

JMO also writes very sweet romance for JJ/Spencer. 

JJ hasn't rolled her eyes at Reid since season 9. I'm with those that think she NEVER should have been doing that in the first place, but it's long gone.

Yes agree she has not done that from season 9. But as someone who has watched the entire series in past few months its hard for me to forget. JJ and Seaver have even walked away, cutting him off while he was explaining something. Also JJ being my least favourite character among original profilers doesnt help.

And Morgan has cut him off and walked away when he was talking about the Death Star, and once asked him sarcastically if he could "even be normal just one time". Hotch has reined him in abruptly for years, sometimes rudely, and Rossi even mocked him on the jet. It's a fucked-up thing the writers choose to do sometimes, and I hate it. 

I love JJ, and even I got pissed and stopped writing stories for her for a while during the time she was doing that, but I guess my point is that she's never been the only one to do that to Reid, but she seems to take the lion's share of the criticism for it, most often.

• Love 1

Regarding JJ's negative reactions to Reid as opposed to those of other characters--- it's been rightly pointed out that he's also been dissed by Morgan, Hotch and Rossi.  I'll throw Elle, Seaver and Prentiss into that pot as well. Each of them has either been impatient with him, or even mocked him, at one time or another, in a way that happens with no one else on the team.  Part of that is because Reid serves as both the tragic foil and the comic relief of the team (the latter role shared by Garcia), so his statements, and sometimes his actions, demand a reaction.  The question was raised about why JJ takes such heat for her reactions, when she's got so much company.  

I think the answer is in the timing.  For the most part, JJ started out as the facilitative, supportive presence on the team, and especially so where Reid was concerned.  At the same time, Morgan was impatient, and teasing, and sometimes taunting, Elle and Emily were sarcastic, Hotch was impatient but tolerant, Rossi flabberghasted, and Seaver outright dismissive.  Elle and Seaver disappeared.  Hotch, Morgan and Rossi all grew into relationships that were both respectful and appreciative of Reid, and even loving.  It was only JJ whose attitude toward him seemed to regress, and I think that's why it's JJ's eye-rolling or JJ's comments that generate such negative reaction.

But, just last year, in the first set of Reid-less episodes, Morgan and Rossi outright mocked Reid, essentially 'behind his back'.  A lot of people were upset by that, but recognized it as out of character, and blamed the writing.  This season, Emily Prentiss is being written out of character.  I don't blame or dislike the character.  I blame the writers and show runners, who have failed to explore her struggle in the new role.  I believe, but cannot know, that they have done so because exploring Emily's struggle would inherently mean needing to mention Hotch, and how he handled things, and what he would have done in the terrible circumstances of Reid's dilemma---and they just refuse to go there, to the detriment of both characters and the show.

In the same way, JJ was written out of character for several seasons running.  Maybe it was the length of time she wasn't acting like herself that made people fed up with her.  Maybe they took it as a true and permanent personality change (for a fictional character) instead of an ongoing failure in the writers' room.  But, just as I don't blame Prentiss for this year, nor Rossi and Morgan for last year's faux pas, I don't blame JJ for the writers having lost their way.  She made a return to her real personality last year, is once again the character I recognize from the early seasons, and I welcome her back.  I think Reid does, too. 

• Love 5

For me, I think Hotch has always treated Reid with a lot of respect. Even when he cut him off sometimes when the situation needed it, he did it respectfully. Hotch has always appreciated Reid's intelligence.

Morgan has done similar things like JJ but he was also the one to help, talk, protect and open up to Reid multiple times( The popular kids, Derailed, Somebody's watching, Fear and Loathing, Elephant's memory, The instincts, Memorium and so many others, recent examples Nelson's Sparrow, Entropy, A beautiful Disaster). I can hardly see any such heart to heart conversation between Reid and JJ till season 11 (Target Rich).

All other characters did not know how to treat Reid in the beginning but later started to treat him with more respect. As JMO pointed out, JJ started out being all nice to him and later on completely dismissed him on lot of occasions. 

Also I absolutely love Elle and Emily. Elle always treated Reid with respect(IMO) and so did Prentiss (especially in earlier seasons). Also probably it comes down to acting ability as well, as if the lot of the stuff Prentiss said, if it had come from JJ (with eye rolling of course) I would have disliked it even more. 

And again as JMO said, JJ has made a return to her real personality last year and I am thankful for that.

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JMO said:

Regarding JJ's negative reactions to Reid as opposed to those of other characters--- it's been rightly pointed out that he's also been dissed by Morgan, Hotch and Rossi.  I'll throw Elle, Seaver and Prentiss into that pot as well. Each of them has either been impatient with him, or even mocked him, at one time or another, in a way that happens with no one else on the team.  Part of that is because Reid serves as both the tragic foil and the comic relief of the team (the latter role shared by Garcia), so his statements, and sometimes his actions, demand a reaction.  The question was raised about why JJ takes such heat for her reactions, when she's got so much company.  

I think the answer is in the timing.  For the most part, JJ started out as the facilitative, supportive presence on the team, and especially so where Reid was concerned.  At the same time, Morgan was impatient, and teasing, and sometimes taunting, Elle and Emily were sarcastic, Hotch was impatient but tolerant, Rossi flabberghasted, and Seaver outright dismissive.  Elle and Seaver disappeared.  Hotch, Morgan and Rossi all grew into relationships that were both respectful and appreciative of Reid, and even loving.  It was only JJ whose attitude toward him seemed to regress, and I think that's why it's JJ's eye-rolling or JJ's comments that generate such negative reaction.

But, just last year, in the first set of Reid-less episodes, Morgan and Rossi outright mocked Reid, essentially 'behind his back'.  A lot of people were upset by that, but recognized it as out of character, and blamed the writing.  This season, Emily Prentiss is being written out of character.  I don't blame or dislike the character.  I blame the writers and show runners, who have failed to explore her struggle in the new role.  I believe, but cannot know, that they have done so because exploring Emily's struggle would inherently mean needing to mention Hotch, and how he handled things, and what he would have done in the terrible circumstances of Reid's dilemma---and they just refuse to go there, to the detriment of both characters and the show.

In the same way, JJ was written out of character for several seasons running.  Maybe it was the length of time she wasn't acting like herself that made people fed up with her.  Maybe they took it as a true and permanent personality change (for a fictional character) instead of an ongoing failure in the writers' room.  But, just as I don't blame Prentiss for this year, nor Rossi and Morgan for last year's faux pas, I don't blame JJ for the writers having lost their way.  She made a return to her real personality last year, is once again the character I recognize from the early seasons, and I welcome her back.  I think Reid does, too. 

I would add to the part about how JJ started out being supportive of Reid, if you go back to the first season, in a few of the earliest episodes, he actually is teaching her why they do certain things, come to certain conclusions. I realize that they are really "teaching" the audience when they have one team member talk about something like an expert, but i always liked these few examples, mostly because Reid was eager to tell her about the why without talking down to her or puffing himself up. He just told her.

I agree, JMO, it's the fault of the writing of the characters. The inconsistencies that certain writers have not been able to learn not to do, and, yes, the show runner or head writer (or both) ought to have run a tighter ship. I hope this happens less next season, which i hope is the last (especially if they can't or won't fix the problem).

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, normasm said:

I would add to the part about how JJ started out being supportive of Reid, if you go back to the first season, in a few of the earliest episodes, he actually is teaching her why they do certain things, come to certain conclusions. I realize that they are really "teaching" the audience when they have one team member talk about something like an expert, but i always liked these few examples, mostly because Reid was eager to tell her about the why without talking down to her or puffing himself up. He just told her.

Yes.  And, thereby, it would have made sense for that 'teaching' relationship to continue when JJ rejoined the team as a profiler.  She should have been treading lightly, and asking questions, and who better for her to ask than the one who'd been teaching her right along?  I think all of her colleagues would have gladly supported her in the process, but I think she would have been most comfortable showing her inexperience to Reid.

• Love 3

I think they always made the point that Morgan was Reid's teacher, which I never really thought was so, but still appreciated the side story in the Apprenticeship. But, yeah, I would have been much happier had they been more realistic with JJ's learning curve. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, normasm said:

I think they always made the point that Morgan was Reid's teacher, which I never really thought was so, but still appreciated the side story in the Apprenticeship. But, yeah, I would have been much happier had they been more realistic with JJ's learning curve. 

Even I never thought Morgan as Reid's teacher. I used to get more big brother sort of vibe from Morgan.

• Love 2

Yeah, I think of Reid and Morgan's relationship as big brother-little brother. Have sisters of my own, both older and younger, this totally makes sense to me. My sisters and I are very different, kinda like Morgan and Reid, but we have a tight bond as they do.

• Love 2