Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: A Blade Of Grass

Open ended serials usually repeat the favorite stories of favorite characters. Everyone loves them some Eva Green emoting, so they deliver what the audience wants.

But the OP forgot to mention that Vanessa is stronger than both Dracula and Lucifer and quite capable of leaving them cowering, just as she did in this episode. Apparently both have resolved to be nasty until she commits to having a baby with one of them. If that seems like a stupid plan, my guess is that's because it is. The upside is that no one can be surprised when Vanessa wins the endgame.

But, is it possible the show is using dream logic? The notion that Vanessa is genuinely mentally ill doesn't really make much sense. She actually is evil, what with being Amunet and all, or at least her sexuality really is demonic. But her commitment to the white room is basically an hour long rape horror show?

I always do a feel a bit cheated by these Vanessa-flashback episodes, even knowing that they always pay off beautifully later in the season. John Claire was a really great person when he was alive, and of course he tries to be that person now, but other people want him to be the monster. It will be very interesting to see how he recalls these events and find out how he died in the first place, when he and Vanessa meet agian.

• Love 4

Okay, I love Eva Green in this and all, and she hit it out of the park again this episode.

But with only nine episodes in the season, focusing an entire episode on her asylum flashbacks is a bit of a waste.  We didn't even get John Clare's real name out of it.

• Love 3

Okay, I love Eva Green in this and all, and she hit it out of the park again this episode.

But with only nine episodes in the season, focusing an entire episode on her asylum flashbacks is a bit of a waste.  We didn't even get John Clare's real name out of it.

I think that's what bothered me the most about it. The revelation that she knew John Clare before he died came BEFORE this episode, so it didn't even give us that much. We didn't learn that they had met before, we didn't learn how he died, we didn't learn his real name. We learned that Lucifer is scared of Dracula -- which I'm not really buying -- and even if it is true ... so what? Vanessa learned Dracula's name, and again, so what? It's not like he's renting a place under that name and she can find out and go there for a showdown. So: so what? They put the rest of the plot on hold for this? Bottle episodes can work, but not when you're putting everything else on hold for what basically amounts to nothing. It just seemed like they wanted to give Rory Kinnear a chance to flex his acting muscles. We know he's good. No need for that.

• Love 5

if this episode doesn't produce an emmy award for both of these actors i will eat my own hat.

I'll bring the salsa.  

About ten minutes in I thought this was going to be boring as hell, and by 30 they had me. My love for Rory Kinnear knows no bounds.

Her relationship with John Clare has me a sobbing mess.

I would love to see Eva and Rory do something from Shakespeare together.  

• Love 6

Well, to know someone's name is to have power over them. I agree that not much was learned with this episode, but man was it riveting tv. I have to agree that 10 mins in I was starting to get bored and then everything just started to swell and build. By the time they got to the confrontation between the three of them I was glued to the screen. What stunning acting from Rory and Eva.

I do feel cheated that we never learned John Clare's real name. They could have at least given us that bone!

It does look like next week will be Vanessa lite and we'll be focusing on Ethan and Victor, which I'm looking forward to. More so for the Ethan part because that is one back story that they have teased the hell out of and now just need to start filling in the gaps.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, BuddhaBelly said:

Well, to know someone's name is to have power over them.

You know, I did think about that, and if that point comes up and is useful in defeating Dracula later on, then I will happily take back what I said about this episode being nothing more than an acting showcase and basically pointless. Still, they could have revealed Dracula's name to Vanessa without spending an entire episode out of only nine getting there. 

• Love 2

I couldn't agree more with criticisms re: the placement of this bottle episode, much less its very existence.  However, I kind of don't care because I loved the bejeezus out of it. "A Blade of Grass" was heaven for unrepentant Vanessa/John Clare friendship trash like me. I'm never there for Vanessa torture, but am always present and accounted for when it comes to the chemistry between these two amazing actors and the unique simpatico that exists between their characters. Watching last night's GoT and this back to back hit me in the feels with extreme prejudice.

• Love 3

For me this show has never been about the destination but about the journey. This episode is prime example of why because, oh.my.god. that was effing brilliant. I really don't care much about moving the plot along because I could happily watch all these actors sit around and read the phone book on a set of paint drying. 

• Love 9

I agree with the recap whole heartedly. My biggest issue with this show has always been that it is over enamored of Eva Greene/Vanessa. The last thing I wanted to see was a whole hour of her being tortured by her demons within and without. We spent almost the entire first season on that - enough already.

Now, I get it - if you're into this show mostly because of Eva, then this was the episode for you. But for those of us who are much more invested in the other characters, this was a complete waste of time. And even if you don't mind an entire hour spent on further dissection of Vanessa's psyche, this episode gave us nothing new to speak of. Yes it was a tour de force for the actors but this isn't the show I'm interested in.

Two thumbs down.

• Love 7

For me this show has never been about the destination but about the journey. This episode is prime example of why because, oh.my.god. that was effing brilliant. I really don't care much about moving the plot along because I could happily watch all these actors sit around and read the phone book on a set of paint drying. 

Same here.  Penny Dreadful, Better Call Saul, two totally different shows but they take their time and let us get to know the characters and their motivations. I liken them to reading a good book and I've always said with books, I don't care how it ends so much as how they get there. 

• Love 4

And let's not forget how wonderful Patti Lupone is too! Loved her ever since seeing her in "Evita" many moons ago.

This was one episode I could watch multiple times, and I'm easily bored. Just look at how the mentally ill were treated then, and how women who didn't "behave" could be tossed in one of these hell-holes. Vanessa was lucky to have a caring orderly; I'm sure he was a rare exception.

• Love 5
(edited)

And let's not forget how wonderful Patti Lupone is too! Loved her ever since seeing her in "Evita" many moons ago.

This was one episode I could watch multiple times, and I'm easily bored. Just look at how the mentally ill were treated then, and how women who didn't "behave" could be tossed in one of these hell-holes. Vanessa was lucky to have a caring orderly; I'm sure he was a rare exception.

Patti LuPone is a God.   Seriously, how is PD not nominated for more Emmys? It's ridiculous. 

I knew she was going to go thru the next worst part because I remember them shaving her heard in S1 but I thought they gave her a lobotomy, I didn't remember the drilling. 

When John brought her the wooden spoon from home, and then put make up on her so she could see how she really is. 

I'm jonesing for Ferdinand Lyle big time.  And Ethan.   My teenage swoony heart wants Ethan to get back to London. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Waldo13 said:

Ava and Rory were fantastic together.  It was riveting and very hard to hold back the tears.  Kudos to all involved. 

It's Eva but I agree with what you said.

I usually enjoyable bottle episodes if they are well done and clever and I would probably watch an 8 hour movie on most of the character's origin stories but this episode was so insane and I am obsessing about it!

First - THAT kiss!!! Why do I feel uncomfortable because I thought it was so hot? Miss Vanessa Ives and Frankenstein's monster are swapping spit!! That blew my mind

Also, how is Vanessa act out a scene from Secretary a form of treatment?

(edited)

I kind of love how Lucifer is the sniveling little brother to the urbane big bro Dracula.

W00t, I was right that Dracula/Lucifer are two separate army commanders bearing down on Vanessa! One wants the soul, the other the body, interesting. 

I am 100% in the "here to watch Eva Green chew the scenery" so these episodes are The Best to me. This went a long way towards making me a little sympathetic to John Clare too, because I've given 0 shits about his whiny butt all 3 seasons. 

Ha, it was kind of easy to forget how kind and freaked out PL's character was while Vanessa was in her fugue state until she finally woke up and PL went back to being icy and business-like. She was like "oh yea, I guess I should bandage your 2nd degree burn now." 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, BuddhaBelly said:

Well, to know someone's name is to have power over them. I agree that not much was learned with this episode, but man was it riveting tv.

Well, we did confirm who the two brothers are and that Vanessa has to give herself willingly. It's not a surprise, but it is confirmed now straight from their mouths. 

6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Penny Dreadful, Better Call Saul, two totally different shows but they take their time and let us get to know the characters and their motivations. I liken them to reading a good book and I've always said with books, I don't care how it ends so much as how they get there. 

It's not like the show is ambling around doing whatever either. There has always been a narrative direction, and I'm inclined this episode is going to have a bigger pay off down the line. 

• Love 1

"The last person you see before the surgery will be someone who loves you."  DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ice and the heart incased in it broke with that line of dialogue delivered by Caliban.   While Vanessa Ives is my favorite character in the show and her bottle episodes are always incredible to me, I think I liked this one because I felt like I was getting a part of Caliban's origin story as well.

Victor procedure twist and alters good people.   Whomever John Clare was, he was clearly hard-working, sensitive, content, he loved his wife and his son, and possessed a truly compassionate heart, sometimes despite himself.   It makes it all the more heartbreaking seeing him during his more "simple" years, knowing what's ahead for him.

I can't even go into the further details of the episode.   Just wonderfully chilling, gripping and heartbreaking.   It's interesting and say's a lot that John Clare and Vanessa are consistently drawn to each other.   They've managed to develop a rapport, when he was human and when he wasn't.   And this episode has made me hope or something I didn't think I ever would, despite all he's done (Proteus, Van Helsing) I hope someday he finds peace.

• Love 2

I'm really interested in what happens the next time Vanessa sees Mr. Claire.  Will she be afraid of him?  Will she realize that he's dead?  Will she tell him what she knows?  Will he remember he loved her?  And I'm totally wondering now how he died?  Did Dracula or Lucifer kill him?  So many questions!

That was so tedious. I was hoping we were through with gravelly voiced Vanessa being tormented in the padded room or wherever stuff. Geeze, I was so bored I would have been happy to see Lily.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree with the recap whole heartedly. My biggest issue with this show has always been that it is over enamored of Eva Greene/Vanessa. The last thing I wanted to see was a whole hour of her being tortured by her demons within and without. We spent almost the entire first season on that - enough already.

Now, I get it - if you're into this show mostly because of Eva, then this was the episode for you. But for those of us who are much more invested in the other characters, this was a complete waste of time. And even if you don't mind an entire hour spent on further dissection of Vanessa's psyche, this episode gave us nothing new to speak of. Yes it was a tour de force for the actors but this isn't the show I'm interested in.

Two thumbs down.

Amen! Preach it! The first season was the "Perils of Vanessa" (with whom every man or demon is in love). I wanted more of the other characters this season. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Just finished watching it, and I can see why it's a love it/hate it kind of episode. 

As to it's purpose, it's a bottle episode for Vanessa and a prequel for John Clare, and also served to clarify some of the issues surrounding the dark forces surrounding Vanessa. All though season one I had no idea whether Dracula/Lucifer/Vanessa's demon were the same thing or different entities, now we know for certain (as said in the prophecy) that they're brothers. Lucifer works in the spirit, Dracula in the flesh, and Vanessa (judging from her levitating/chanting) also has some degree of control over her inner demon. 

Of course, it leaves me wondering whether Lucifer is still in the game or not. I think perhaps John Logan used him too soon, first with him seducing Vanessa in the first season, then with the whole witch debacle in the second. Now he's apparently playing second fiddle to Dracula, which is a real step down for the Lord of Darkness and all that. 

Does anyone else think that during Dracula's attempted seduction of Vanessa, she was just playing along to get to his name? Also is Dracula Famed In-Story? Probably not, though it's difficult to fathom considering he is to vampires what James Bond is to spies and Superman is to superheroes. And Vanessa DID seem to react with a degree of familiarity when she heard him. 

Also: Frankenstein better watch his back. Ethan AND Vanessa now have reason to rip him to shreds once they find out what he did to two people they loved dearly. Seriously would NOT want to be him. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 2

I suppose just keep in mind one of the practical reasons for "bottle episodes"--they can free up resources for more elaborate set pieces and effects in future episodes.

• Love 2

I'll admit that I wasn't liking the first half of it, but by the second half, it had me in tears.

That last part about her being the only person who lived where it's cold and lonely all the time. And the fact that that was where he went even after the loss of his memory as John Clare, it all ties together beautifully and sadly.

And I didn't even cry when we had the 2 tragic deaths on this week's epi of GoT!

• Love 1

Exactly. In the Breaking Bad podcast for "Fly" which is IMO one of the most perfect bottle episodes of any show, Vince Gilligan ever explains why bottle episodes can serve a variety of purposes. 

In A Blade of Grass we did get more information as far as Satan and Dracula being related and fighting for Vanessa, that Vanessa is actually stronger than both of them, and John Clare really was a very kind person before his death and Victor turning him into a monster, and we got an episode showcasing the incredible talents of Eva and Rory.  I'm very happy. 

• Love 2

First of all, let me express my wish that Eva Green gets all the beverages while she's on set. She weeps so much, I fear dehydration.

Good doctoring, there, Patti! Cigarette-burning your patients is never a bad idea! And Vanessa's reaction to the burn is hilarious in it's 'oh, that.' sense of boredom.

Putting the gag back in VI's mouth broke my heart above all other moments.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

In A Blade of Grass we did get more information as far as Satan and Dracula being related and fighting for Vanessa, that Vanessa is actually stronger than both of them, and John Clare really was a very kind person before his death and Victor turning him into a monster, and we got an episode showcasing the incredible talents of Eva and Rory.  I'm very happy. 

I'm not seeing any issues with the episode. Some if this information is confirmed what we were talking about, and there's a little something new. Her learning Dracula's name has got to be majorly important. 

The show is always been about Vanessa first, and while I really like a lot/most of the other characters, she's going to be featured. That's the show this is. It's not like this is a new thing they're doing here. I prefer everyone working together than being apart, but I'm confident that they'll going to be teaming up by the end of the season, hopefully sooner. 

This is the kind of show where you have to look at everything in a larger context. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

I was concerned about half way that either non-possessed Caliban was going to something bad to Vanessa or that Vanessa would be the reason Caliban got injured/killed allowing Victor to swoop in with his nastiness (as in getting the body or whatever).

I am on the a little bored with these scenes re: Vanessa (but still think the acting is superb) bench BUT I was actually very, very interested to find out more about Caliban.  Him being that kind in his job was riveting.  I am surprised they didn't make him shave off her hair.

12 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Exactly. In the Breaking Bad podcast for "Fly" which is IMO one of the most perfect bottle episodes of any show, Vince Gilligan ever explains why bottle episodes can serve a variety of purposes. 

Plus getting to know pre-John Clare lets us know is personality prior to Clare actually getting back his memories.  This way, to some extent it add more depth to his journey as well (knowing that he was a kind person before Victor raised him from the dead).  And makes his redemption a little less difficult to stomach especially if he starts reverting to his old self.  I was waiting for the other shoe to drop with respect to him dying.  Kind of glad they didn't go there (as I'd hate for Vanessa to have killed him, she has enough on her plate).

Does Eva Green have a clause in her contract that she gets one all-Vanessa episode each season?  They do one of these every year.  It was certainly a let's-keep-the-budget-down episode.  All they needed was some padded walls, a chair and a cot.  I did enjoy the interplay between Vanessa and John Clare, they're great together.  I wonder how these remembrances will affect her relationship with him in the present.  John Clare was the highlight of the episode for me, it was a very nuanced performance of the kindhearted orderly.and gave insight into who he is today.  The only part I didn't care for was when Vanessa was hallucinating the two John Clare's personifying Lucifer and Dracula, it reminded me of that over-the-top seance in season one with Vanessa doing her whole "possessed witch" thing.  So what exactly is she that she scares both Dracula and Satan?  I don't get it.  She woke from her hypnosis the day before she was going to be lobotomized.  I'd like to know how that turned out.  Did John Clare sneak her out that night?

23 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Does Eva Green have a clause in her contract that she gets one all-Vanessa episode each season?  They do one of these every year.  

I'm pretty sure the show is trying to get Eva an Emmy. She got a nomination last year, so this is this year's effort. 

Does Eva Green have a clause in her contract that she gets one all-Vanessa episode each season?

Why would that be a bad thing? It's not like she sucks, or that her character is uninteresting. Yes, I want to see the plots of all the others move along, but it's not like I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of a V-centric ep.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, attica said:

Why would that be a bad thing? It's not like she sucks, or that her character is uninteresting. Yes, I want to see the plots of all the others move along, but it's not like I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of a V-centric ep.

Didn't say it was a bad thing, but given that the show only gets 8-10 episodes a year, it is a big chunk of time they take away from advancing the other characters and plots (although to be fair this was a Vanessa and Caliban episode, it wasn't just about her).  If this show had 13 episodes like most cable shows get then it would have more room for a character-centric episode.

Edited by Dobian

Both Vanessa episodes have been "past" episodes. I think it might be better than always using flashbacks with bits and pieces. And they've both been a way to convey exposition dramatically. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Eva Greene is great and her chemistry with the actor who plays the orderly and John Claire is awesome.

However, I think the issue everyone is having with the episode was the writing.  We learned nothing new about these two characters besides that John Claire used to be an orderly at a mental institution.

In the famous bottle episode of Breaking Bad titled "The Fly", we learned the extent of the dysfunction between Jessie and Walt.  They are tethered for the same purpose.  However, the bottle "The Fly" was a lot more meaningful to me in hindsight, then when it was first aired.

The payoff for this episode might not come till later.  Otherwise, even though the scene where Vanessa thwarted Dracula and Lucifer was beautifully acted, it felt a little stale.  It was like the Goth Ground Hogs Day (a move where a character has to live the same day over and over again) as we have seen Vanessa reject both these suitors and pick God, for what seems like numerous times at this point.

Yes, we confirmed they were brothers, but so what?  I also do not buy Lucifer being scared of Dracula.

Maybe we will learn later how this episode was valuable.

I do love this show and am glad to return back to the action next week.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

It's not like she sucks, or that her character is uninteresting.

A matter of opinion, it goes without saying. I almost didn't even bother watching Season 2 because by the end of Season 1 I was so burned out on the Eva Green fuckfest I didn't think I could take anymore. Fortunately Season 2 was much more well-rounded and thus far Season 3 has been shaping up nicely. I just felt like this episode was a throwback and rehash of what I hated most about Season 1. And even without this "bottle" episode, I maintain the story for Vanessa this season is a retread for her. The whole Dracula thing feels like a rehash of the vampire thing in Season 1. I don't know why they can't come up with something new for her.

• Love 1

One thing I loved that was a small but wonderful link in this episode was when John Clare was reading to her from Robert Louis Stevenson's The Land of Nod and I Have A Little Shadow. 

He also wrote The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Well done show.

• Love 2

That was wonderful. A truly exceptional episode.

Both Eva Green and Rory Kinnear were superb throughout the whole episode. Loved the backstory with Vanessa and the orderly.

I was surprised we didn't learn his name or how he died but I guess both will be revealed in a later episode. It also tied into that first season episode pretty well too.

The rivalry that both Dracula and Lucifer have for Vanessa does intrigue me too. I liked that she scared both of them as well.

Seward's role was mainly supportive but she did good in it though, 9/10

• Love 2

I usually have the cc on when I'm watching something with accents not my own. A thing I find interesting is that the captions identify Rory Kinnear's character as "Creature" even when he's an orderly/Lucifer/Dracula. 

20 hours ago, attica said:

I usually have the cc on when I'm watching something with accents not my own. A thing I find interesting is that the captions identify Rory Kinnear's character as "Creature" even when he's an orderly/Lucifer/Dracula. 

Probably BC we don't know his name yet. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved this episode and there's a marathon of Penny Dreadful running today, so I watched it again. Contrarily, my husband couldn't get into it. Of course Eva Green was amazing as usual.  I especially relished watching Rory Kinnear as John Clare transform from his gentle, kind self, to Lucifer and Dracula. I was surprised to hear that it was her parents that put her in that instution for the mentally insane but also that they had stopped coming to visit her there.

I was glad to see a return of Patti LuPone as Dr. Seward. I enjoyed her performance last year as the witch that Vanessa bonds with, then gets burnt up at the end. I recall seeing Patti LuPone as Evita Perrone on Broadway in 1981. This video is her performance at the 1980 Grammy Awards, which she won that year for Evita.

Edited by HumblePi