Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

On the other hand, if this is leading to Kevin finding some jungle fever with Beth's cousin, that could be cool.

They also really need to watch it with the flashforwards. Nip/Tuck did them, and then when they started to contradict with the show's present day storylines (Matt going to jail despite the flashforwards saying he was going to be a doctor) they had to ditch them as canon and that was annoying as hell.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Given the disappointing yet not surprising news that Dour Cousin Pam is being added to the show full-time, I'm going to call it- we're going to meet Deja's deadbeat father. That will allow Randall to have yet even more opportunities to self-righteously lecture people.

• Love 3

Regarding the “Mystery of Her”:

Known facts:

This is 15-20 years in the future (Tess born in 2008, now an adult with a career in social work)

Randall and Tess express discomfort at seeing someone in what appears to be an institutional setting.

Randall considers Toby an interested party. Toby expresses doubt about the appropriateness of his going.

Toby is alone in a big bed.

Reasonable inferences:

The characters’ discomfort suggests an abnormal situation, not an elderly person near death.

Randall, Tess, and Toby are in the orbit of the discomfort caused by “Her” circumstances.

Toby has been in contact with Toby fairly recently.

Reasonable speculations:

Randall, Tess, and Toby were hurt by something “Her” Did.

There was a 15-20 year lag between the painful event and the imminent meeting with “Her”.

My prediction:

Deja’s adoption process leads to revelation that she has a much younger sibling.  Randall’s family decides to adopt revealed sibling.  Kate is so distraught over infertility that she kidnaps new child.  Toby fails to see this coming because he’s suffering from effects of unmediated depression.  Kate is now being paroled or discharged from psychiatric hospital.  R, Te, and To are there to receive her.

ERRATA:  I just realized a huge flaw with this theory.  No matter what happened, Randall would not abandon Kate.  He would visit every chance he had to tell her he understands completely because he was abandoned as an infant, adopted, Met bio father, yada yada yada 

Edited by TwoGrayTabbies
Reconsidered content
  • Love 4

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/us-sterling-k-brown-tells-051016156.html

Good article. Someone on Yahoo commented that maybe Tess does something that causes a miscarriage for Kate this season and that's why Tess specifically, as Sterling alludes to, is tentative about seeing "her". Like the whole Dan Fogleman "present informs the future" stuff that he's talked about last spring and summer. Sounds like this show. Dan said this "her/she" business will unfold this season, first 9 episodes. Makes sense it would unfold in the present as well. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Violetgoblin6 said:

Good article. Someone on Yahoo commented that maybe Tess does something that causes a miscarriage for Kate this season and that's why Tess specifically, as Sterling alludes to, is tentative about seeing "her". Like the whole Dan Fogleman "present informs the future" stuff that he's talked about last spring and summer. Sounds like this show. Dan said this "her/she" business will unfold this season, first 9 episodes. Makes sense it would unfold in the present as well. 

But, if this scenario were true, why would Tess be worried about Kate's reaction to seeing her 15 or more years later?  Is Tess going to turn out to be a 'Bad Seed' type kid and she does something malicious to Kate?  TPTB had better not go that route.  Does Kate cut Randall and his family out of her life after she miscarries and they haven't seen her in a couple decades?  There is no realistic way that their reluctance to visit 'her' 15-20 years in the future could work if Kate miscarries because of something Tess does.  Of course, in real life, most everyday life stuff like falls, emotional stress, etc doesn't cause miscarriages; so if the show were going to be realistic about it (hah!), they wouldn't have any specific event  cause another miscarriage. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

But, if this scenario were true, why would Tess be worried about Kate's reaction to seeing her 15 or more years later?  Is Tess going to turn out to be a 'Bad Seed' type kid and she does something malicious to Kate?  TPTB had better not go that route.  Does Kate cut Randall and his family out of her life after she miscarries and they haven't seen her in a couple decades?  There is no realistic way that their reluctance to visit 'her' 15-20 years in the future could work if Kate miscarries because of something Tess does.  Of course, in real life, most everyday life stuff like falls, emotional stress, etc doesn't cause miscarriages; so if the show were going to be realistic about it (hah!), they wouldn't have any specific event  cause another miscarriage. 

Hmmm, good points. I was thinking it was a total freak accident...Like accidentally tripped her or something and she feels nervous seeing Kate for first time in years?? I don't know, just over thinking, lol. I think that Dan said in an interview it was 13 years, 2031?

I honestly thought it was Rebecca, for sure. Then Sterling had to say the bit about Tess being reluctant to see this person and who would Tess not be ready to see. Ugh, this show! 

• Love 2
Just now, Violetgoblin6 said:

Hmmm, good points. I was thinking it was a total freak accident...Like accidentally tripped her or something and she feels nervous seeing Kate for first time in years?? I don't know, just over thinking, lol. I think that Dan said in an interview it was 13 years, 2031?

I honestly thought it was Rebecca, for sure. Then Sterling had to say the bit about Tess being reluctant to see this person and who would Tess not be ready to see. Ugh, this show! 

Well, any of them might be reluctant to see a beloved family member who has been in an accident or had a devastating illness or is perhaps in hospice and on their death bed.  Being afraid of seeing a loved one drastically changed, or, worse yet, in significant pain, can be reason enough to be apprehensive.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Well, any of them might be reluctant to see a beloved family member who has been in an accident or had a devastating illness or is perhaps in hospice and on their death bed.  Being afraid of seeing a loved one drastically changed, or, worse yet, in significant pain, can be reason enough to be apprehensive.

But if something happens to Kate in the near future that separates her from the family, and the show lasts more than a couple of years, they've written themselves into a corner.  Not only can Jack only be seen in flashback, Kate will only be able to be seen in flash forward. This can't be an event that happens soon.

When Randall spoke to Toby, who was in bed, in the flash forward, he asked him if he was going to come downstairs to see her, I think.  So Toby was living/staying upstairs in the same building that "her" was in?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But if something happens to Kate in the near future that separates her from the family, and the show lasts more than a couple of years, they've written themselves into a corner.  Not only can Jack only be seen in flashback, Kate will only be able to be seen in flash forward. This can't be an event that happens soon.

When Randall spoke to Toby, who was in bed, in the flash forward, he asked him if he was going to come downstairs to see her, I think.  So Toby was living/staying upstairs in the same building that "her" was in?

I took it to mean that they (Tess and Randall) were downstairs and hoping Toby would join them.  Maybe Tess's office has condos upstairs!

• Love 2

I wish Jack didn't die so early on. I would have rather had Jack and Rebecca get divorced and have all of these flashbacks and story lines lead to that rather than lead to a death. Mainly because I'd like to see him as an " in the present" character rather than just see how he was when he was younger and in my mind knowing what happens later on and it's leading to him dying young. If they end up having 7 or 8 seasons, I don't know what they're gonna be able to do with his character.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I wish Jack didn't die so early on. I would have rather had Jack and Rebecca get divorced and have all of these flashbacks and story lines lead to that rather than lead to a death. Mainly because I'd like to see him as an " in the present" character rather than just see how he was when he was younger and in my mind knowing what happens later on and it's leading to him dying young. If they end up having 7 or 8 seasons, I don't know what they're gonna be able to do with his character.

I agree. I actually like Jack and can see flashback Jack getting tiresome. (Jack is still my favorite character.)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, TwoGrayTabbies said:

Regarding the “Mystery of Her”:

Known facts:

This is 15-20 years in the future (Tess born in 2008, now an adult with a career in social work)

Randall and Tess express discomfort at seeing someone in what appears to be an institutional setting.

Randall considers Toby an interested party. Toby expresses doubt about the appropriateness of his going.

Toby is alone in a big bed.

Reasonable inferences:

The characters’ discomfort suggests an abnormal situation, not an elderly person near death.

Randall, Tess, and Toby are in the orbit of the discomfort caused by “Her” circumstances.

Toby has been in contact with Toby fairly recently.

Reasonable speculations:

Randall, Tess, and Toby were hurt by something “Her” Did.

There was a 15-20 year lag between the painful event and the imminent meeting with “Her”.

My prediction:

Deja’s adoption process leads to revelation that she has a much younger sibling.  Randall’s family decides to adopt revealed sibling.  Kate is so distraught over infertility that she kidnaps new child.  Toby fails to see this coming because he’s suffering from effects of unmediated depression.  Kate is now being paroled or discharged from psychiatric hospital.  R, Te, and To are there to receive her.

ERRATA:  I just realized a huge flaw with this theory.  No matter what happened, Randall would not abandon Kate.  He would visit every chance he had to tell her he understands completely because he was abandoned as an infant, adopted, Met bio father, yada yada yada 

That's pretty good. Do you want a writing job with ABC, AMC or FX?   lol  I jest, but, in a way, it's true.  I'm disillusioned with so-called professional writers lately. The viewers have better ideas. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

What if one of Kate & Toby's embryos is implanted in someone else (by mistake or a surrogate who runs off) and "Her" is the resulting offspring that is found 18 years later, by Tess the social worker who encourages "Her" to look for her bioparents, not expecting they are Tess' aunt & uncle.  Is Kate even alive in the future or did she die in her selfish quest for a baby to fill her emptiness? Kate was nowhere in sight and Toby appeared to be in a hotel room with no comforts of home.

Edited by deirdra
14 hours ago, MoonMountain said:

What if Kate or Toby had some kind of affair?

Could Tess have been chosen as a surrogate and something went wrong with that? Would that fit the timeline?

But then "her" would be, like 3 years old in the future storyline.  Tess is turning 10 this year (though the actress looks older...I Googled her and she's 13!  I wonder if they'll change her birth year to, say, 2006 (since 12 and 13 aren't all that different)?).  I don't know about New Jersey or California, but many jurisdictions won't allow women to be surrogates until they're at least 21 and have had at least one child.  Even relatives.  That scene without Kate is also throwing us off - I don't think "her" is Kate.  I'm not even sure "her" is Rebecca.  She could be someone we haven't yet met. 

• Love 1

I honestly feel like it's something more simplistic - Rebecca is in hospice. Kate and Toby are divorced (or Kate is dead, but I hope it's not that), but Toby remains close with the family. I'm excited for this season! This show is always full of heartwarming, bittersweet moments. It's honestly the best show on television, probably the best developed series in years. 

• Love 6

Yeah, my guess is Rebecca is on her last days and it is time to say goodbye. It’s hard to say goodbye to a beloved grandmother. Toby is close to the family even though Kate passed away years ago for some not yet unknown reason that will be the mystery for season 4. Old lady Rebecca died surrounded by her beloved family and wakes up in heaven surrounded by Jack, William, and Kate.

If Kate dies it might be harder on Kevin than Toby.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, my guess is Rebecca is on her last days and it is time to say goodbye. It’s hard to say goodbye to a beloved grandmother. Toby is close to the family even though Kate passed away years ago for some not yet unknown reason that will be the mystery for season 4. Old lady Rebecca died surrounded by her beloved family and wakes up in heaven surrounded by Jack, William, and Kate.

Rebecca dying and being reunited with Jack is definitely the most probable series finale, IMO. If Kate died, it will remain a mystery as to how potentially for the remainder of the series (they might not even reveal that she's dead until sometime later - they'll leave us wondering if Toby and Kate are divorced, or if Kate's dead - I still think it's possible they're divorced and Kate's fine; there have been too many hints that Kate and Toby's relationship is leading in a toxic path especially now with Toby throwing away his meds behind Kate's back). I know the show creator says they know how the series ends already, so the fact they're showing many years in the future, means there could be who knows how many more seasons of This Is Us. This means they could visualize the show going on for years before reaching its resolution (and with its current ratings, This Is Us could easily be on for 10+ seasons, honestly). There are ultimately so many directions the show could take, and so many more questions that can arise with this "flash forward" scenario. Honestly, I was hesitant about it at first, but I can see where they're going here. Ultimately, they could decide to flash forward at any moment (like One Tree Hill), or they could move in real time to the point shown in the future. The viewers are engaged enough that anything is possible, but I do feel like the most probable series finale is Rebecca dying and reuniting with Jack.

Edited by thecatmeows
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, thecatmeows said:

I do feel like the most probable series finale is Rebecca dying and reuniting with Jack.

That would be fitting, considering how much they make Miguel look like an idiot.  Yep, she’s just marking time with him and he is lucky to get that crumb.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

That would be fitting, considering how much they make Miguel look like an idiot.  Yep, she’s just marking time with him and he is lucky to get that crumb.

I hope he gets more of a part this year, he deserves it. He's not a foot warmer until Rebecca dies, everyone treats him like a cheap replacement. He's a good man, not bad looking (lose the fake tan) and kind to her. She loves him, just not the passionate way she loved Jack when she was younger. The kids need to grow up and accept their Mom deserves to be happy. I wish they'd go on a long trip together but God forbid, they have an episode without Jack haunting it. ; )

• Love 6
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

This is my guess too.  Rebecca is either in a nursing home or hospital and nearing the end of her life so everyone is gathering to say goodbye.  I don't think Kate is dead though.  She and Toby are either divorced or separated and I'm really leaning towards separated since it looked like Toby was staying in a hotel.  Also, if they're only separated, then they could have a romantic "get back together" moment that references something that we see 2018 Kate and Toby do/say.  

The show creator (whose name escapes me at the moment) says he knows how he wants the show to end and it would make sense that it would be with Rebecca dying so that she could be reunited with Jack.  

• Love 1

If they do the "spirits running to each other" after death, that would be a bit much. Leave that to Titanic, lol.

I think there is a fine line when Jack is just too much, he wasn't a saint, he was planning on doing bad things when he met Rebecca, but he has a good heart. He tried to be a good dad, but not always supportive of his wife that way. He made mistakes like any other human being. Is being romantic at times what endears him so much to others?  Sure I'd like that, but I'd also like someone who wasn't so impulsive, who included me in decisions (that is a big one) and someone who didn't make me the "bad parent" with my kids, mostly Kate. I think he did a lot of damage there over the years especially when he didn't sternly correct her when she would make disparaging comments about her mom or support the doctor's advice on healthy eating and exercise.

I don't know, I liked the show a lot from the first episode but never saw the "Jack" as perfect.

• Love 4

I don’t see Jack as perfect and I don’t think most posters here do either, but I think the show does. Whenever his impulsivity or grand gestures are brought up, the show takes the view, more often than not, that Jack’s way of doing things is special and right. Rebecca never addressed that he didn’t consult or include her in parenting decisions, she just got mad that he made her the bad guy. When he went big and made a unilateral decision, but she wasn’t collateral damage, she was more than happy to go along with whatever he decided. 

• Love 3

The problem with the flashfoward is that in order to keep up the “mystery” of who and what the issue is they have to phrase the dialogue in a way that no one would ever talk and it’s already beyond tiresome.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

I just thought of something:  Could "her" be Zoe?  She's pretty close to the the girls and if she and Kevin marry, they'd be even closer.  Kate isn't all that close to Zoe - at least not yet - so the whole thing about Kate being already dead could work.  And we don't know how close Zoe and Toby might become.  

On 9/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Violetgoblin6 said:

And Tess has tried to do good for others with her life since the incident.  The theory above makes sense to me.  I mean we all figured out Jack's storyline.

• Love 1

I'm probably the odd ball, don't really care who it its, it takes away from the week to week drama, it hangs there. I was lucky I didn't care much about the fire either except I had guesses, but not "keeping me up" type of thing. ; )  The one thing I want to see more than who is Randall talking about, is the aftermath of the fire. It went from hospital to funeral, but all the in between stuff, the things that formed who the 3 were afterwards to some degree, is still not there. What was left, where did they go, why did Miguel leave and then come back? Did Kate ever go into therapy or) just go every year to sit outside the house. (so sad )

So it will be interesting to see who is the mystery person I guess, but I'd like more on 20's and "after Jack".

• Love 3
On 9/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When Randall spoke to Toby, who was in bed, in the flash forward, he asked him if he was going to come downstairs to see her, I think.  So Toby lives/was staying upstairs in the same building that "her" is in?

"Come down" -- as in, come from somewhere nearby. We know that "she" is in the Northeast, since Randall picked up Tess at her workplace, the Essex County (NJ) Dept. of Child Services, and they went straight from there to the very clean institution.

Toby definitely seems to be in a hotel room. Flown out from the West, he and Kate could be staying there together rather than with Randall or Miguel, or, he and Kate could have split. Or both: if I asked my ex to travel across country with me to my mother's deathbed, I can see not asking a grieving sibling or step-father to put us up.

I mean, relatives are relatives.

Exactly.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2018 at 7:17 AM, debraran said:

If they do the "spirits running to each other" after death, that would be a bit much. Leave that to Titanic, lol.

This is the same show that had William being greeted by his once again young mother in heaven and they've already started doing "what if Jack was alive" fantasies. We're totally getting a reunion.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

This is the same show that had William being greeted by his once again young mother in heaven and they've already started doing "what if Jack was alive" fantasies. We're totally getting a reunion.

I  can still hope, there is being touching and then being over the top but they probably think that's the best ending. It's been done before but it wont be Titanic. I can see SNL or comedians making fun of it for laughs. ; )

I  just feel they are overdoing it with Jack being the center of it and everyone rotates around him or his memory. I like seeing Rebecca with MIguel (they promised to show more this year) and Randall living his life, Kevin starting to live his, only Kate is still stuck, impulsive and living with a foot in the past. I wish they'd show therapy as a good thing and encourage those who need to try different therapists and self help but not to be ashamed of needing help.We know Randall and Kevin had it, but it's very much implied more than discussed. Jack can thrive in flashbacks but let his family be healthy and move on.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Pallas said:

"Come down" -- as in, come from somewhere nearby. We know that "she" is in the Northeast, since Randall picked up Tess at her workplace, the Essex County (NJ) Dept. of Child Services, and they went straight from there to the very clean institution.

Toby definitely seems to be in a hotel room. Flown out from the West, he and Kate could be staying there together rather than with Randall or Miguel, or, he and Kate could have split. Or both: if I asked my ex to travel across country with me to my mother's deathbed, I can see not asking a grieving sibling or step-father to put us up.

Exactly.

If Miguel is even still alive in 15-20 years.  Miguel's like 75 now, right?  

• Love 1
On 10/1/2018 at 9:19 AM, debraran said:

I'm probably the odd ball, don't really care who it its, it takes away from the week to week drama, it hangs there. I was lucky I didn't care much about the fire either except I had guesses, but not "keeping me up" type of thing. ; )  The one thing I want to see more than who is Randall talking about, is the aftermath of the fire. It went from hospital to funeral, but all the in between stuff, the things that formed who the 3 were afterwards to some degree, is still not there. What was left, where did they go, why did Miguel leave and then come back? Did Kate ever go into therapy or) just go every year to sit outside the house. (so sad )

So it will be interesting to see who is the mystery person I guess, but I'd like more on 20's and "after Jack".

Think we'll see that tonight! 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

If Miguel is even still alive in 15-20 years.  Miguel's like 75 now, right?

Yes: if Miguel is Jack's age, he's 74 now, making him plus-or-minus 90 during the flash-forward. And in any event, he'll likely be shuffled off this mortal coil before Rebecca, so that her death scene is an all-Pearson affair. It seemed courteous to mention him though.

• Love 2

I think the "her" is going to be Kate. Toby isn't wearing his wedding ring. We see his depression arc in the season three trailer and we also see Kate throwing away one of several pregnancy tests (meaning she's not pregnant - she only had 8 eggs but Toby's little swimmers weren't that potent to begin with. Combine his inability to fertilize one of Kate's 8 eggs, plus his being off his meds, he's headed for a big depressive episode. I think Kate will try to be supportive of and for him but she will also be wrestling with her own grief over not becoming pregnant. Mix it all together and I see Kate and Toby splitting up. 

Re: Kate as "the her." I think, with the help of a grown up Tess as social worker, Kate will ultimately decide to adopt on her own. She'll become very attached to a child and be prepared to adopt when somehow, something goes wrong and she'll have to give up the kid. Kate will perhaps attempt to commit suicide at that point. Maybe that's why they're all there to see "her." Or maybe the stress and disappointment plus her unhealthy weight cause her to have a stroke or perhaps an ultimately fatal heart attack (just like Jack) and everyone is there to say goodbye? 

I know a lot of these theories sound far-fetched, but this show does far-fetched really well (and in a way that makes it all seem so believable). 

Edited by Cajungirl64
Too many typos!!
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2018 at 6:13 AM, Trillian said:

Purely speculation, but is it possible that Nicky is not dead?

I'm thinking that this could be the case, or that he died much later than when the rest of the world thought he did. I have a theory that Jack wasn't able to completely get Nick back on board even after bringing him to the riverside town, and so to "save" Nick, Jack told him to run and he'd tell everyone (including their family) that he died so he wouldn't get court marshaled. The woman with the necklace may be the one that helped Nick hide by taking him deeper into Vietnam or getting him somewhere else in Asia. It would explain why Jack is so adamant about not talking about the war or Nick at all; a safety measure to ensure he doesn't slip up and use present tense or worse, in a drunken stupor admit the whole truth. I wouldn't be surprised if this trip of Kevin's has him uncover a family that Nick had down there

• Love 6
10 hours ago, rogueprinzess said:

I'm thinking that this could be the case, or that he died much later than when the rest of the world thought he did. I have a theory that Jack wasn't able to completely get Nick back on board even after bringing him to the riverside town, and so to "save" Nick, Jack told him to run and he'd tell everyone (including their family) that he died so he wouldn't get court marshaled. The woman with the necklace may be the one that helped Nick hide by taking him deeper into Vietnam or getting him somewhere else in Asia. It would explain why Jack is so adamant about not talking about the war or Nick at all; a safety measure to ensure he doesn't slip up and use present tense or worse, in a drunken stupor admit the whole truth. I wouldn't be surprised if this trip of Kevin's has him uncover a family that Nick had down there

This sounds interesting.  We've not seen a body coming home or funeral for Nick.  Nick could have been declared MIA and Jack just told everyone Nick was dead, period, end of story, no stories to tell.

50 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

This sounds interesting.  We've not seen a body coming home or funeral for Nick.  Nick could have been declared MIA and Jack just told everyone Nick was dead, period, end of story, no stories to tell.

Yes, no funeral flashbacks but what a horrible thing to do to his mother if he didn't tell her.

• Love 2

Is it possible that Nicky was the one who saved Jack?  All those Superman references must mean SOMETHING...especially when Nicky said he doesn't want to be saved (anymore).  And their dad said something about Nicky coming home a "hero." 

• Love 4

Speculations after the mid-season finale.

• Rebecca was revealed as the her, but she's already dead. The Pearsons are all going to see her before the visitation/funeral. Tess is "not ready" to see her grandma dead. Beth got the Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey game to be buried with Rebecca. Toby is fighting grief as well as depression. It's interesting how, so far, we have not seen Miguel, Kevin, Kate, Annie, Deja or Zoe in this flash-forward.
  • Nicky did something terrible. He has stated his mistrust and loathing of the villagers. He is on drugs and close to a mental breakdown. He may have taken the next step and committed an atrocity against the locals.
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MsChicklet said:

It's interesting how, so far, we have not seen Miguel, Kevin, Kate, Annie, Deja or Zoe in this flash-forward.

Miguel probably pre-deceased Rebecca. Assuming he is around the same age as Jack, he'd be in his late 80s/early 90s in 2033; that's higher than the average life expectancy. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MsChicklet said:

Rebecca was revealed as the her, but she's already dead. The Pearsons are all going to see her before the visitation/funeral. Tess is "not ready" to see her grandma dead. Beth got the Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey game to be buried with Rebecca.

Not buried. Jack was cremated; as a family, they are going to see Rebecca's body at the funeral home, prior to cremation before the memorial service. The game will be part of a commemorative display at the service. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MsChicklet said:
  • Rebecca was revealed as the her, but she's already dead. The Pearsons are all going to see her before the visitation/funeral. Tess is "not ready" to see her grandma dead. Beth got the Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey game to be buried with Rebecca. Toby is fighting grief as well as depression. It's interesting how, so far, we have not seen Miguel, Kevin, Kate, Annie, Deja or Zoe in this flash-forward.

I'm thinking that Rebecca has Alzheimers or dementia. I'm pretty sure she isn't dead. In an article about the finale, Dan Fogelman does clarify that the "she" and the "her" referenced by Randall AND Toby is Rebecca. Since Toby talks about "her" not wanting him to come, it wouldn't make as much sense if she was dead. 

Though yeah, the fact that we haven't seen Kevin, Kate, Annie, or Deja, at the very least, is telling. I mean, they could use the excuse that they only do so many flashforwards and they didn't want to force anything, but they had a random scene of Toby without Kate and then they went right back to focusing on Randall/Tess, so my guess is that they don't, or didn't, know the plans with the other main characters at the time of the finale. Kevin hasn't even been mentioned, so I figure they're debating the future with him as well as Zoe.

But the weirdest part is Annie not being around or mentioned. 

• Love 1
On 11/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, PRgal said:

Is it possible that Nicky was the one who saved Jack?  All those Superman references must mean SOMETHING...especially when Nicky said he doesn't want to be saved (anymore).  And their dad said something about Nicky coming home a "hero." 

So Nicky did come home? I thought it was weird Jack took Randall to the wall going to Howard and he was looking at names, I "assumed" he was showing him Nicky or Randall would ask, but I guess not. He hid a picture in garage, I guess the only one he had, all of it seems odd. No matter what happened to Nicky, Rebecca should have known and his Mom. Maybe he was under an assumed name, if he wasn't, he had to have been under his SS number and able to be traced. If he was mentally ill, you just say I had a brother who suffered greatly in the war and wants to be alone. Did the letter come from Rebecca maybe to tell him Jack died?