Type keyword(s) to search

Frequency - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/10/2016 at 6:56 PM, KaveDweller said:

In the movie, they did try and explain it from a science perspective. There was rare solar activity going on in both timelines making the Northern Lights visible, and it was implied that was what allowed the radios to communicate across time. I'm not saying that is actually possible scientifically, but they did have an explanation. I don't think the show has tried anything like that to explain things.

The film at least provided some explanations to things.

On November 14, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Netfoot said:

...s everyone's brain melting with all this mind-numbingly dull radio talk?  Because if so, I won't bore you with some curious facts about the International distress signal incorrectly written here as SOS.

If by "here" you mean the show, definitely post. Otherwise it's up to you; it might come up in the show and is germain to the thread topic if it is related to Ham radios.

The morse character set includes letters, digits, certain punctuation, and prosigns.  If you are computer-literate (isn't everyone?) a prosign is like a control character.  So, if you want the other operator to wait (as oppose to including the word "wait" in your message), you don't send the word "WAIT" ("di-dah-dah di-dah di-dit dah").  You send the WAIT prosign ("di-dah-di-di-dit").  The op will write that down as "AS" because the wait prosign is an "A" and a an "S" run together.  But actually, I have not typed it correctly! The letters "A" and "S" should be barred.  That is, written with a horizontal line across the top.  Sort of like underlined, except... overlined.  I will use underline because I'm not sure how to do overlines here.    So prosign for "WAIT" is AS which is pronounces "Wait".  The prosign for "NEW PARAGRAPH" is BK which is pronounced "Break".  

And the prosign for the International Distress Signal is SOS and is pronounced "Mayday".  Yes, "Mayday".  From the french "M'aidez" which means "Help me".  And like all prosigns, it is sent as a single item, with no inter-character spaces, because it isn't separate characters.

So it would be sent as "di-di-di-dah-dah-dah-di-di-dit"  not as "di-di-dit dah-dah-dah di-di-dit".

ETA: So, in fact, most people write it wrong (SOS without the overline), pronounce it wrong ("Ess oh ess" instead of "mayday") and send it wrong (three separate letters, instead of a single prosign).

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Not necessarily. The CW already had some established shows waiting in the wings for the back half of the season (The 100, iZombie). I doubt it was ever planned for this show to run the entire time.

Too bad this wasn't earlier, like episode 3.

I also wonder if this show would have been better if instead of a Ham radio, it was an obscure portion of the internet. Plus, there's no comic relief, which I think most viewers need with a show like this — although I don't watch Criminal Minds, so I don't know if it has any humor either, and it has lasted longer than it deserves (IMO), but maybe that's because it's on CBS, which seems to be more invested in it's shows than other stations.

• Love 2

Raimy and Satch discover a shocking connection to the Nightingale’s first kill. When Raimy shares this news with Frank, he works to dig up additional information. Meanwhile, Frank and Julie are forced to have an honest conversation, and Raimy has a surprise visitor.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Too bad this wasn't earlier, like episode 3.

I also wonder if this show would have been better if instead of a Ham radio, it was an obscure portion of the internet. Plus, there's no comic relief, which I think most viewers need with a show like this — although I don't watch Criminal Minds, so I don't know if it has any humor either, and it has lasted longer than it deserves (IMO), but maybe that's because it's on CBS, which seems to be more invested in it's shows than other stations.

This probably would've been better on CBS.  I guess that's the drawback on using a very old film and then turning it into a series.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No decision was made on cancellation yet but the back nine was always on the table so it's not a good sign.

Agreed, even Crazy Ex Girlfriend and iZombie both got partial backorders last season.

I don't know why I'm still watching this. I'm really tired of the whole Nightingale thing. I'm also confused - didn't Raimy already sleep with that guy? Why was he talking like this was the first time? Or is that a different guy? See how little attention I'm paying?

It occurred to me that there's a serious flaw in the premise - if Raimy remembers both timelines - the one where Frank dies, and the one where he lives - why doesn't everyone else? Seriously - she's not a time traveler. She didn't get into a time machine, go into the past and change history, then come back to the present. She communicated with her father thru this ham radio and saved his life then suddenly she remembers both timelines. So how come nobody else does? Like the other cops, or her boyfriend, or anyone else who knew Frank? Why only her? Is the ham radio so magical that you can remember both timelines if you're right next to it or something? I don't get it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

didn't Raimy already sleep with that guy? Why was he talking like this was the first time?

Because that wasn't Raimy.  That was her mom sleeping with her "study partner".  So, yeah- you're not paying attention.  ;)  I don't know why I'm watching this either.  I think I'm deleting this season pass....

• Love 1

On the bright side, I guess that means they were pretty spot on with the casting if people can't tell Raimy and Julie apart. As far as looks go, anyway. Acting ability is a different story. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It occurred to me that there's a serious flaw in the premise - if Raimy remembers both timelines - the one where Frank dies, and the one where he lives - why doesn't everyone else? Seriously - she's not a time traveler. She didn't get into a time machine, go into the past and change history, then come back to the present. She communicated with her father thru this ham radio and saved his life then suddenly she remembers both timelines. So how come nobody else does? Like the other cops, or her boyfriend, or anyone else who knew Frank? Why only her? Is the ham radio so magical that you can remember both timelines if you're right next to it or something? I don't get it.

I think she can remember both because she is the one who was interacting with the past. Sort of like how a time traveler doesn't lose their old memories even though everyone else does, although usually the time traveler only remembers the old version.

Also, Raimy is the star.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know why I'm still watching this. I'm really tired of the whole Nightingale thing. I'm also confused - didn't Raimy already sleep with that guy? Why was he talking like this was the first time? Or is that a different guy? See how little attention I'm paying?

It's really poorly explained in the show, it's just hand waved as plot convenience for the drawn out Nightingale plot.

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Meh, I don't care, I still enjoy this show and I'm invested in the Nightingale killer. I want to know who it is.

I'm still watching, and I watched all of The Mentalist, but I loathe serial killer plots. They always seem to rely on gratutious violence and fear, although not so much in this show.

• Love 1

So Julie hadn't been cheating on Frank until now, but Frank's been shagging his girlfriend for years. Lying to them both. Are we really supposed to agree with him now that he's just a poor confused soul who wants the best for everyone? Plus, it seems like he's managed to help completely ruin the lives of both his best friend and his daughter somewhere along the way.

For me, Julie needs to take Raimy, run off to Hawai'i and start over away from Frank and the Nightingale. This guy is a self-pitying waste of everybody's time and effort. He needs to sit down and sort himself out.

What were the writers thinking, making every character in this show so incredibly unlikable? We're supposed to care about what happens to them, through their relationships with each other, and Frank was all that was holding any of them together, because neither Raimy nor Julie were likeable, and neither of them seemed to like Frank. But now that Frank is shown to be a total bastard, they are proven to be correct in their opinion of him. So now I do hope Julie survives, only to kick old Frankie in the teeth. They've totally messed up the entire point of the show, as opposed to the movie, where you actually cared for the family because they cared for each other. We're not supposed to hate everyone.

That's the CW for you. There's never been a CW show where I haven't ended up hating all the characters. Although, usually it takes years, not just seven episodes.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

For me, Julie needs to take Raimy, run off to Hawai'i and start over away from Frank and the Nightingale. This guy is a self-pitying waste of everybody's time and effort. He needs to sit down and sort himself out.

Yeah!

Pity that Julie has been such a complete, self-absorbed bitch from before Frank ever even started the undercover gig...

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Yeah!

Pity that Julie has been such a complete, self-absorbed bitch from before Frank ever even started the undercover gig...

The whole family is a complete mess and unlikable tbh.  They haven't really given much of a reason to care especially since everything feels so emotionally stunted from how it should've been.

• Love 1

Since this is most likely getting cancelled, I don't know if I would rather have the 13th episode end with them figuring out who Nightingale is and arresting him, every is happy, blah blah blah or if they figure out who it is, they get arrested in 1996 and the timeline gets totally effed up - like to a point where it is something like Raimy is no longer a cop.

• Love 2

I'd love it if, when Frank catches the Nightingale, Raimy suddenly finds herself on the International Space Station. After all, she keeps mentioning that her mom wanted her to be an astronaut or something.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lebanna said:

I'd love it if, when Frank catches the Nightingale, Raimy suddenly finds herself on the International Space Station. After all, she keeps mentioning that her mom wanted her to be an astronaut or something.

Ha, that would be hilarious.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lebanna said:

Would she then look at the camera and say "Oh boy." ala Quantum Leap?

• Love 2

So, Nightingale has to be Coach Ted, am I right? I mean, it's either him, or it's Satch, or Moreno. It has to be someone we know, right? Which means all these tedious "new suspects" they investigate every week are pointless time fillers. I honestly don't know how they thought they could make a show out of this. Are they just going to chase down Nightingale suspects for five seasons?

Also, I think something is off with Kyle, the guy Raimy is seeing now. He's probably Son of Nightingale.

• Love 3

So, Nightingale has to be Coach Ted, am I right? I mean, it's either him, or it's Satch, or Moreno. It has to be someone we know, right?

Yeah, I was thinking it might be the coach too.  Satch doesn't make sense to me though they were trying to make him look suspicious at one point.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So, Nightingale has to be Coach Ted, am I right? I mean, it's either him, or it's Satch, or Moreno. It has to be someone we know, right? Which means all these tedious "new suspects" they investigate every week are pointless time fillers. I honestly don't know how they thought they could make a show out of this. Are they just going to chase down Nightingale suspects for five seasons?

Also, I think something is off with Kyle, the guy Raimy is seeing now. He's probably Son of Nightingale.

Pretty much, I can't imagine 5 seasons if this is how dragged out it already is.

1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

All I wonder is what they come up with for why Frank's death was supposed to stop the Nightingale. I don't care anymore who it is.

Which reminds me, they barely touched upon the timeline differences, it felt more like an afterthought.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Lebanna said:

All I wonder is what they come up with for why Frank's death was supposed to stop the Nightingale. I don't care anymore who it is.

Yes, I want to know this too. In the movie they showed the mother saving someone's life in the hospital on the night she would have left because Frank died. On the show, we saw someone start watching Julie instead of the nurse who originally died, which explains how she got killed. But it doesn't explain the other dozen women. Plus, they also showed the Nightengale becoming obsessed with Frank when he found out Frank was after him. So that is a second reason Julie dies, I guess. 

I think I read they wrap up theNightengale this year and have plans for other stories for a season 2 or 3. If they have them.

• Love 1

I assume we were supposed to see Satch's "betrayal" coming a mile away, right?

Is Raimy's connection with her Other Timeline Fiancé in spite of serious obstacles (like his Other Fianceé) supposed to foreshadow the eventual return of the original timeline situation (with dead dad)?

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assume we were supposed to see Satch's "betrayal" coming a mile away, right?

Is Raimy's connection with her Other Timeline Fiancé in spite of serious obstacles (like his Other Fianceé) supposed to foreshadow the eventual return of the original timeline situation (with dead dad)?

I'm thinking it'll end up with Stan arranging for his death, just a year or two after it was originally supposed to happen.

I'm hoping the 13th episode end with Nightingale being caught, stuff is all happy, then all of a sudden, A HOOK in case they got renewed.

• Love 1

So none of the evidence is admissible because Raimy entered the Deacon's house illegally? Even if there's a dead, mummified body wrapped up all Nightingale style with rosary beads in the closet? OK then. She's just as crappy a cop as her father, apparently. 

The scene at the end between Frank and Julie seemed to come out of nowhere. She's been fairly hostile towards him since Episode 2 and then all of a sudden she's letting him inside, acting all concerned for him, making out with him . . . WTF? Did they change the timeline again? Her attitude towards Frank is all over the map.

• Love 1

So none of the evidence is admissible because Raimy entered the Deacon's house illegally? Even if there's a dead, mummified body wrapped up all Nightingale style with rosary beads in the closet? OK then. She's just as crappy a cop as her father, apparently. 

The scene at the end between Frank and Julie seemed to come out of nowhere. She's been fairly hostile towards him since Episode 2 and then all of a sudden she's letting him inside, acting all concerned for him, making out with him . . . WTF? Did they change the timeline again? Her attitude towards Frank is all over the map.

They're both terrible cops, that's for sure.

As for the timeline change, this show seems to have forgotten about that for the last few episodes because it's been Frank and Raimy working their own different cases of the week while dragging on the Nightingale plot which they botched up because of their own incompetence at handling the case.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My understanding is her strategy was to get proof that the Deacon is the Nightingale, so Frank could be sure it was the right guy and kill him in the past. She doesn't care about admissible evidence, because this timeline won't exist anymore. 

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, shapeshifter said:

I think that it means they save Mom.  I think we'll have a timeline that has Mom around long enough to introduce Raimy and other timeline fiancée, like in the original, but not the original timeline.  The reconnection is so that Raimy has different timeline knowledge to create relationship drama in the third timeline.

Because now she knows a couple things.  First, he's a guy capable of cheating on his fiancée.  Also, I'm pretty sure that some of those flashes were supposed to plant the idea that Raimy's boyfriend was cheating on Raimy with current timeline fiancée in the original timeline.

I would appreciate it if they stopped with the father/daughter sex montages.

• Love 3

Not much ham radio stuff in this most recent episode, but the episode names at least still have some ham radio connection.  "So what exactly is the significance of 'Gray Line'?", I hear you ask.  Perhaps in a very quiet voice, but I'm sure I heard you!

To set the scene, let's go all Spiritualized and say "Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" as we observe the earth rotating on it's axis.  The side of earth towards the sun is brightly illuminated, whereas the side away from the sun is in darkness.  And there is a circular line; a ring that encircles the earth where it is twilight.  The ring passes through (or close to) the north and south poles.  As the earth rotates, the line of twilight stays still -- relative to the sun, but it rotates around -- relative to the planet.  Can you picture it?  OK, well you can probably guess that this line is called "The Gray Line".

Why is this phenomenon of interest to ham radio operators?   Because High Frequency radio propagation along the grey line is improved!  This is because  the D (lowest) layer of the ionosphere -- which absorbs HF signals -- dissipates rapidly after nightfall, while the F2 (highest) layer -- which reflects HF signals -- remains in place a while longer.  So, with the lower absorbent layer gone and the reflective layer still in place, your HF signals will be bounced (or hopped, or skipped, if you prefer) around the curvature of the earth, extending your communications range quite considerably.

Obviously, these conditions only occur along the gray line which runs north and south of you.  So gray line communications only takes place along north/south paths.  East/west paths can never make use of the gray line.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Nicely explained, but one question, just to be sure I understand this part:

16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

...Obviously, these conditions only occur along the gray line which runs north and south of you.  So gray line communications only takes place along north/south paths.  East/west paths can never make use of the gray line.

By "east/west" and "north/south paths," does that refer to the positions of the two radio operators? Does this mean, for example, that if one operator was in New York and the other in Chicago that there would be no appreciative increase in the clarity of the signal at twilight, but there would be an enhanced signal between, say, Miami and Buenos Ares, Brazil? Slightly OT: This reminds me of the "twilight bark" from Disney's Lady and the Tramp, heh. Back on topic: I guess the episode title is referring to Raimy and Dad finally making their communication across timelines work for their goals, right?

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Does this mean, for example, that if one operator was in New York and the other in Chicago that there would be no appreciative increase in the clarity of the signal at twilight, but there would be an enhanced signal between, say, Miami and Buenos Ares, Brazil?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Radio propagation is complicated, and affected by many factors, most of which are only poorly understood.  

With groundwave propagation, the radio waves creep over the surface of the planet, out to the horizon and usually a bit more.  The higher the frequency, the less it will creep beyond the horizon, which is why VHF, UHF etc. have a reputation for short range.

With skywave propagation, the ionosphere (and it's various sub-layers) plays a part.   Below a certain frequency, the ionized layers reflect signals back to earth.  Above this frequency, the radio waves pass through and are, uh, lost in space!  The ionization, and hence maximum useable frequency (MUF), varies on an hourly basis, affected by solar activity, season, and many other factors.  Generally, the MUF is too low for use with VHF, UHF, etc, so once again, their reputation for short range.

Below the MUF, signals leave your antenna, and striking the underside of the reflective layers (F1 & F2) at an angle, bounce back down to earth.  Usually at a much greater distance than groundwave range.  (There is often a dead zone between stations reachable with groundwave and those reachable with skywave.)  It is this hopping or skipping that makes long range communications via radio possible at all.  Multiple hops/skips give even greater range.

Unfortunately, the D layer of the ionosphere absorbs radio waves.  So while skywave signals benefit from the reflections of the F layers, it suffers from the attenuation caused by the D layer.  But at nightfall, the D layer quickly dissipates, while the F layer remains intact for a while longer.  Therefore gray line communications benefits from the F layer reflections as normal, but without the weakening effect of the D layer.

East of you, where the sun is still shining, the D layer will still be strong, and your signals will be dampened.  West of you, where it is full dark, the D layer will have dissipated, but so (to an extent) will the F layer, So your signals will not reflect as well.  Some will pass out into space, and the reflected signal will be weaker as a result.  But north and south of you, the still-strong F layer and the dissipated D layer combine to give you an extra boost in signal strength, in those directions.  

Until the pesky ole planet goes and turns on you...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2
On December 14, 2016 at 0:10 AM, Impish Dragon said:

I'm extremely disappointed that the writers had Raimy willingly become the other woman. 

I agree that the optics of it look bad, but from Raimy's perspective, the fiancée is the other woman.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:10 AM, Impish Dragon said:

I'm extremely disappointed that the writers had Raimy willingly become the other woman. 

Sadly, I saw it coming a mile away since the pilot, it only adds to my distaste of the characters.