Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Cast In Real Life and Other Roles

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LeighLeigh said:

I just saw a preview for an HGTV show with Justin Hartley. I forget the title. Something-IOU, maybe Renovation-IOU. Did anyone else see this? Thanks. 

Celebrity IOU - he's going to be on an episode where he gifts a home renovation to someone in his life (On one episode, Brad Pitt renovated the home of his longtime makeup artist, Zooey Deschanel renovated the home of her childhood friend, and Alison Janey renovated the home of her assistant of 20 years)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 1:49 AM, bros402 said:

Celebrity IOU - he's going to be on an episode where he gifts a home renovation to someone in his life (On one episode, Brad Pitt renovated the home of his longtime makeup artist, Zooey Deschanel renovated the home of her childhood friend, and Alison Janey renovated the home of her assistant of 20 years)

Ugh! Self promotion for celebrities who think they are so special by helping people who might or might not even need - I don't know, but I know that there are so many people going hungry right now, they can help just for the help, not for the adoration.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Ugh! Self promotion for celebrities who think they are so special by helping people who might or might not even need - I don't know, but I know that there are so many people going hungry right now, they can help just for the help, not for the adoration.

That kind of "giving" has always left a bad taste in my mouth. I would feel extremely uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of it. Those celebrities have more than enough money to make those gifts privately out of their own pockets, they don't need it to be comped by a TV show.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

That kind of "giving" has always left a bad taste in my mouth. I would feel extremely uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of it. Those celebrities have more than enough money to make those gifts privately out of their own pockets, they don't need it to be comped by a TV show.

Not only that, but the improvements on the houses generally increase the taxes.  Do the celebrities think of that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, circumvent said:

We turned off the Alison Janey one because her assistant's house looked perfect - like not even a scratch.

Zooey Deschanel's friend? Her house looked like it hadn't been renovated in at least a decade.

Although Zooey was on it because she is dating one of the Property Brothers

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Zooey Deschanel's friend? Her house looked like it hadn't been renovated in at least a decade.

My house is not renovated on a schedule. Those shows are PR, either for the "celebrity" that needs to remind people that they are still active, or to remind producers they need work, or to the executives of the shows about renovation that need "celebrities" to get some audience. Or both. It is the same with a lot of paparazzi photos. Many times it is the agent of some celebrity calling the paparazzi and giving them scoops, with or without the celebrity's knowledge.

Habitat for Humanity has been building houses for people who really need them. People who want to help a friend, can do so without advertising it. If they are interested in actually helping they could use their platform to raise money for workers who don't have a TV show. 

It is absurd that we have a need for charities in a country so rich but we do, and TV shows are not helping anyone who actually needs it.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

My house is not renovated on a schedule. Those shows are PR, either for the "celebrity" that needs to remind people that they are still active, or to remind producers they need work, or to the executives of the shows about renovation that need "celebrities" to get some audience. Or both. It is the same with a lot of paparazzi photos. Many times it is the agent of some celebrity calling the paparazzi and giving them scoops, with or without the celebrity's knowledge.

Habitat for Humanity has been building houses for people who really need them. People who want to help a friend, can do so without advertising it. If they are interested in actually helping they could use their platform to raise money for workers who don't have a TV show. 

It is absurd that we have a need for charities in a country so rich but we do, and TV shows are not helping anyone who actually needs it.

Oh yes, I know (Our house hasn't been renovated since before I was born, and it desperately needs renovation) - I was just stating that the friend's house actually looked like it might've needed something done to it (Not that she deserved a TV show covering it). Since there's a difference between "house that looks immaculate and like it came out of a catalog" (like Alison Janey's assistant's house) and "house that looks like it belongs to a normal human being" (Zooey Deschanel's friend).

If you look at shows that renovated houses for "regular" people i.e. Extreme Makeover - they did it to a point where it bankrupted the families, as the property values went up so much that they couldn't afford the property taxes. Which just shows that those shows should, you know, try to support those people, even if it is just putting like 5 or 10 years of property taxes in escrow for them (since it wouldn't be a lot, especially in cheaper states. In NJ, yeah, that'd be pricey - our house is 7k a year for a house that needs work)

Edited by bros402
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

If you look at shows that renovated houses for "regular" people i.e. Extreme Makeover - they did it to a point where it bankrupted the families, as the property values went up so much that they couldn't afford the property taxes

I remember reading something about that. Plus, some of the houses were so over the top in the style, the family would have to live there forever and have the same taste for things. One house was basically an airplane!

20 hours ago, circumvent said:

I remember reading something about that. Plus, some of the houses were so over the top in the style, the family would have to live there forever and have the same taste for things. One house was basically an airplane!

Yuuup - now if they did an actual reasonable renovation, made the houses more accessible for the families, put in some luxuries like HVAC, soaking tub, maybe a special place for kids that could convert into a multipurpose room as they get older, sure - but on that show, they would turn like a 1200 sq ft house into the largest legally possible on the lot and fill it with all kinds of random stuff and just do weird things, like the time they renovated an airplane (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/extreme-makeover-home-edition-refurbishes-an-airplane-the-garmin-way/)

and here are other homes that were sold because of the... extravagances added - https://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/Up-for-sale-Davis-Islands-house-ABC-rebuilt-after-fatal-plane-crash-a-609632

• Love 1
On 7/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, PRgal said:

Teen Randall (Niles Fitch) was in a movie called Miss Virginia (now on Netflix), about a mom who fights for scholarship programs so that lower-income kids can have the alternative to go to private schools.  He plays a bright kid who just couldn't succeed at his inner-city public school.  Kind of an awkward kid, too (and not too different from Randall).  

He's also on the great show Atypical on Netflix, playing another student at the star of the shows college. He opened the dorm door and I'm like "Hey aren't you at Howard?" ; )

I just saw Sterling on ER watching it on Hulu. Small part of a lawyer for the hospital but I bet it was a fun day.

I don't watch christmas movies but a few days ago I was watching something on Netflix that I don't remember the name of, a comedy, and Justin Hartley was in a scene that was one of the oddest things I have ever seen: the character wanted to wax his genital area so he was naked on the table, we could only see his torso and head. Then the next shot was from his whole naked body but the CGI people decided to erase his penis, which was the weirdest thing ever in a non-sci-fi movie. Supposedly, the character had a huge penis, but there he was, nothing to see, literally. 

• LOL 1

I just saw the renovation show featuring Justin doing it for his best friend.  I thought it was pretty good.  It was an outdoor thing and looked nice.  My only question is where they were to store the alcohol at the bar he requested.  Justin seemed really into it and was quite humble.  He stressed how much his friend had been there for him over the many years.  Apparently, they've known each other since they were children.  

• Love 1

A few more other roles: Mandy Moore was in 4 episodes of Grey's Anatomy, as Mary Portman, seasons 6 and 7. She died, as it usually happens on Grey's. And in the movie Princess Diaries, as Mia Thermopolis' bully.

Justin Hartley, besides Smallville that's been mentioned, he was on Revenge (seasons 2 and 3), as Victoria's son and in a Castle episode (4x13).

Milo was the bad boy in Fergie's music video, Big Girls Don't Cry.

• Love 1

Sorry, will not watch TIU again if Phylicia Rashad is part of the cast. I'm a loyal viewer of all seasons since the beginning but her statement on Cosby's innocence is beyond infuriating and insensitive to the many victims.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BC4ME said:

Sorry, will not watch TIU again if Phylicia Rashad is part of the cast. I'm a loyal viewer of all seasons since the beginning but her statement on Cosby's innocence is beyond infuriating and insensitive to the many victims.

She really must not care what NBC thinks of her...or the fans of This Is Us.  I wonder what they’ll do with her....perhaps have her not ever mentioned again. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She really must not care what NBC thinks of her...or the fans of This Is Us.  I wonder what they’ll do with her....perhaps have her not ever mentioned again. 

Personally, I didn't even think she was good in the roll. Susan Kelechi Watkins, who is my favorite on the show, deserves a better actor as her mother IMO.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, BC4ME said:

On 7/1/2021 at 3:38 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope she just "goes back to DC" over the season break and we never see her again, other than maybe a short scene with Beth on the phone with her. She's not integral to any of the storylines, and the show would be better off having fewer characters on which to focus in the last season.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

It says Susan Kelechi Watson doesn’t have anything lined up as of now. I hope she lands something soon. 

I read in interviews about her episode thus season that she's quite interested in writing. Maybe that's where she's going to spend her TIU capital. 

• Useful 2
On 4/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, Empress1 said:

It says Susan Kelechi Watson doesn’t have anything lined up as of now. I hope she lands something soon. 

Watching with my granddaughter this morning, and I heard Susan Kelechi Watson's very distinctive voice...she's voicing Mom Twist on Netflix's kid show Ada Twist, Scientist.   Taye Diggs is Dad Twist.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I’m sitting down to watch Justin Hartley in The Noel Diary on Netflix. I will report back. 

Edited to add- the film was predictable but it was really well done, it's a drama not a Rom Com. The chemistry between the leads was great, and Justin did a great job with the emotional nuance. I liked it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 11/27/2022 at 7:05 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m sitting down to watch Justin Hartley in The Noel Diary on Netflix. I will report back. 

Edited to add- the film was predictable but it was really well done, it's a drama not a Rom Com. The chemistry between the leads was great, and Justin did a great job with the emotional nuance. I liked it.

I just watched it with my mom and we loved it!  It had a holiday film flare, but it was very well done, imo.  Was cool seeing the neighbor played by actress from Love Of Life and Justin’s dad an actor from Dexter!