Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Where Were We?

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

A friend posted on Facebook about having an issue with her Crockpot. She doesn't watch much TV and I'm pretty sure doesn't watch This Is Us. Should I warn her about the Killer Crockpot, or will I sound like an idiot if I do?

Nah, that might just freak her out. Just tell her to contact the company

• Love 1
21 hours ago, maddie965 said:

I would. Hey, better be safe thsn sorry...

13 hours ago, bros402 said:

Nah, that might just freak her out. Just tell her to contact the company

I ended up commenting with a link to a recap of that episode. She thought it was hilarious.

Even though I've never had a problem with a Crockpot, I don't leave the house with it on and I set it on top of the stove, not the counter and certainly not under the window coverings or near any towels or papers, when I do use it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If people have  a reason to go to a reunion I think it is awesome.  I just wouldn't spend the time and money to visit  with people that were horrible.

Perfectly legit.  I went to the 10, 20, and 30 year reunions (I'm 65), but never really got interested in the people there.  No one was mean to me back then, but...You have your life, I have mine.  Good beer, though.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Perfectly legit.  I went to the 10, 20, and 30 year reunions (I'm 65), but never really got interested in the people there.  No one was mean to me back then, but...You have your life, I have mine.  Good beer, though.

I never went, remember how awful most were (but forgotten by many years later) I only was unhappy I missed one because one of the nice girls I lost touch with went and someone told me she was looking for familiar faces that weren't still stuck in 1970's (we were a fairly small town, most stayed close) But later, we did catch up when she was a patient where I worked, so you never know.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Cannon made a comment during that episode.  "Child of fear is the father of evil."   I have no clue what that is supposed to mean.

Someone raised in a state of fear will grow up to commit evil. To me, not canon.

• Useful 2

Would someone kindly tell me what those squares at the end of a post mean?  I asked Google and she thought it meant black squares, not the empty little squares I see here.  I thought I'd ask on this board because you all  already know I'm lost in a 90's time warp.  I'll bet my man Nicky doesn't know either.

4 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Would someone kindly tell me what those squares at the end of a post mean?  I asked Google and she thought it meant black squares, not the empty little squares I see here.  I thought I'd ask on this board because you all  already know I'm lost in a 90's time warp.  I'll bet my man Nicky doesn't know either.

I must be more lost because I don't even see any.  Where exactly?

Now I can't find an as examples.  They're usually at the end of someone's post.  Or I imagined the whole thing.  

We didn't get a single trick or treater.  We have new neighbors with twin four year old boys I was really hoping to see.

3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Now I can't find an as examples.  They're usually at the end of someone's post.  Or I imagined the whole thing.  

We didn't get a single trick or treater.  We have new neighbors with twin four year old boys I was really hoping to see.

We got abut 10, cute little ones next door and the rest middle school up.  Too many peanut butter cups left.   : )

• Love 1
On 10/31/2019 at 4:20 PM, JudyObscure said:

Would someone kindly tell me what those squares at the end of a post mean?

I see them in posts all over this site. I "assume" they are emojis, like smiley faces or something, that don't display on this website. Maybe they do in some browsers or on phones, but all I see are empty squares.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I see them in posts all over this site. I "assume" they are emojis, like smiley faces or something, that don't display on this website. Maybe they do in some browsers or on phones, but all I see are empty squares.

I see small empty squares too.  Maybe they're ghosts?  Reference:  "I see dead people."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2019 at 4:34 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I see small empty squares too.  Maybe they're ghosts?  Reference:  "I see dead people."

On 11/2/2019 at 4:18 PM, saber5055 said:

I finally found out what they are and  Saber is right. If someone is posting from their cell phone,  their emojis don't come always come through properly and show up as empty squares to some of us.

Yesterday someone copied my post and the only response was the empty square.  Then today we updated some stuff and I could see it was 😂 .   I would have been better off not knowing because my post had been very serious. 

Insult through smiley face.  Subtle. 😉

On 11/4/2019 at 11:49 AM, JudyObscure said:

Yesterday someone copied my post and the only response was the empty square.  Then today we updated some stuff and I could see it was 😂 .   I would have been better off not knowing because my post had been very serious. 

Insult through smiley face.  Subtle. 😉

😞

• LOL 1

Things you learn about the world from the Internet.....
Supposedly there are people that hate making the bed alone. 
This thought has never occurred to me- the fitted sheet seems to be an issue? I just put it on. I’m above average height maybe that helps?

Given I’ve never had assistance to make a bed I’ve honestly never thought of this! I never thought making the bed was a 2 person activity before people commented about this. 

• Love 3

I can change my fitted sheets just fine myself (I'm 5' even with a queen bed). What Rebecca was doing "wrong" when she was trying to do it herself was trying to get both the corners of the fitted sheet on the same side done first. I find it easier to do one corner, then go around the bed to the corner diagonally opposite. Then you can do the other corner of the side you're on and back around the bed to do the last corner.

I cannot, however, neatly fold a fitted sheet to save my life. It doesn't matter how many tutorials I read or YouTube videos I watch; it always ends up looking like I just balled it up and stuck it in the closet. I firmly believe that folding a fitted sheet requires intimate working knowledge of sorcery and/or witchcraft.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Things you learn about the world from the Internet.....
Supposedly there are people that hate making the bed alone. 
This thought has never occurred to me- the fitted sheet seems to be an issue? I just put it on. I’m above average height maybe that helps?

Given I’ve never had assistance to make a bed I’ve honestly never thought of this! I never thought making the bed was a 2 person activity before people commented about this. 

I can make the bed just fine, I just have to lock my cat out of the room to do it. It is a direct challenge to her authority. Heh.

• LOL 6

I was making mine by myself this morning and wondering if Rebecca called Jack home from work to help her or just saved it till he got home.

Here's how I fold my fitted sheets because the Martha Stewart method is too tedious for me:

Fold the sheet straight down the center and lay it on the bed.  Fold the messy, outer side inward toward the straight fold, creating a long strip of sheet about ten inches wide (or however wide your folded flat sheet is).  Now fold it up from the bottom until you have your nice, tidy little square with lots of wrinkly corners hidden safely inside.

Your linen closet will look picture perfect and only the cops from Dateline will ever discover your secret wrinkles -- and they need a warrant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Here's how the laundromat attendant taught me to fold fitted sheets, back in 1973:

Slide your hand up into one of the corners of the sheet. With your other hand follow one of the edges of the sheet until you reach the next corner.  Plop that corner over the first one.  Do that two more times, and you end up with all four corners over your hand.  Then you've got something you can lay down flat and fold neatly.

That laundromat attendant was really nice to this clueless youngster. She also helped me out the time I used waaaay too much detergent when washing a rug because I thought it was a "heavy load", and suds cascaded out of the machine and onto the floor.  She seemed so old to me at the time, but she was probably younger than I am now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Dehydration is a well-documented side effect of extremely low-carb diets. It doesn't get any lower-carb than eating only steak, so he very likely *is* dehydrated. He's also missing out on may essential nutrients due to not eating fruit and vegetables, which contributes to the gauntness.

https://www.verywellfit.com/high-protein-diets-cause-dehydration-3120674

I found this article that says that it's true that you can experience dehydration if you lower your carbohydrate intake and up your protein intake, and you won't necessarily get thirstier as a result, which makes it more dangerous, but the article basically says, "just know this and drink more."

I know this is anathema to you, but I found a high-protein, low-carb diet (five grams of carbs per day or less, sometimes) is good, because it makes you less hungry and otherwise you wouldn't diet.  I don't diet anymore--I just do portion size and that seems to work--but I know that when I was dieting, If I didn't see results, I would just give up.  For someone really overweight, like Kate, I would think that giving up would be worse than almost any alternative.

When the Atkins diet first became popular, the argument was advanced by the pro-Atkins side that some people just need to lose weight and in a hurry, and Atkins is the best way to take you there.  Clearly, Jordan Peterson isn't one of those people, as he's probably underweight, but does this concept resonate with you at all?

For me, I have always been a huge water drinker.  Perhaps I even drink too much water.  So I don't see how it was necessarily unhealthy for someone who drinks tons of water (like myself and Dr Peterson) to eat--for me--bacon and eggs in the morning, some ham or turkey for lunch and chicken with a small lettuce for dinner and maybe a small cube of full fat cheese for dessert?  I never had any health problems.  I did find, mentally, that this type of diet made me a little different.  I'm more relaxed and measured with starches in my life.

If there are thousands of studies, what do they say specifically?  Like, what is the consensus?  Why is it unhealthy?  And what do they say about extremely low carbs diets versus being fat?  Because I have always learned that being fat, especially extra weight around the abdomen (I think I read 40" or more waist), was extremely dangerous.  Which one do the studies say is worse?

I could never eat the way I described above for more than a few weeks, tops, but I think it has a psychologist benefit in that, if I was getting ready for my wedding or a vacation, I could eat this way and get quick results and be really happy about it, which would spur perhaps more measured dieting, then switch back to low-carb, switch back to a normal meal plan, etc.  I never saw a downside.

Now, I can link to several articles about Dr Peterson and his daughter and their claim that eating only steak, salt and water healed their ailments, physically and mentally, but 1.) I know you think he's stupid, so I'm not going to inflame the discussion and; 2.) it's anecdotal, not scientific.

One last thing--the Atkins diet, as it's written, which I would sometimes do, allows for lots of vegetables, as well as pineapples and strawberries.  So if an extremely low carb diet is not advised, is there something wrong with a mere low-carb diet that does include fruits and vegetables?

Well, that's my POV.  I'd be interested in hearing from the OP and others, because I like to learn.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I know this is anathema to you, but I found a high-protein, low-carb diet (five grams of carbs per day or less, sometimes) is good, because it makes you less hungry and otherwise you wouldn't diet.  I don't diet anymore--I just do portion size and that seems to work--but I know that when I was dieting, If I didn't see results, I would just give up.  For someone really overweight, like Kate, I would think that giving up would be worse than almost any alternative.

When the Atkins diet first became popular, the argument was advanced by the pro-Atkins side that some people just need to lose weight and in a hurry, and Atkins is the best way to take you there.  Clearly, Jordan Peterson isn't one of those people, as he's probably underweight, but does this concept resonate with you at all?

The problem with this approach is that it's a quick, temporary "fix" that doesn't work long-term and can actually cause harm. Permanent, healthy weight loss requires permanent lifestyle (and mindset) changes. Especially for someone who is as overweight as Kate, where it's not just a few vanity pounds. 

For me, I have always been a huge water drinker.  Perhaps I even drink too much water.  So I don't see how it was necessarily unhealthy for someone who drinks tons of water (like myself and Dr Peterson) to eat--for me--bacon and eggs in the morning, some ham or turkey for lunch and chicken with a small lettuce for dinner and maybe a small cube of full fat cheese for dessert?  I never had any health problems.  I did find, mentally, that this type of diet made me a little different.  I'm more relaxed and measured with starches in my life.

If there are thousands of studies, what do they say specifically?  Like, what is the consensus?  Why is it unhealthy?  And what do they say about extremely low carbs diets versus being fat?  Because I have always learned that being fat, especially extra weight around the abdomen (I think I read 40" or more waist), was extremely dangerous.  Which one do the studies say is worse?

Eating a lot of animal products is unhealthy regardless how much water you drink. The book How Not To Die, written by a physician, cites over 2000 studies on nutrition and diseases (there are many other books on the subject, but this one seems to be the most rigorous in terms of research). I don't know of any studies specifically that compare "extremely low carbs diets versus being fat", because that seems like an arbitrary and unscientific constraint, an apples to oranges comparison if you will - there are many ways to not be fat that don't involve low-carb diets.

One last thing--the Atkins diet, as it's written, which I would sometimes do, allows for lots of vegetables, as well as pineapples and strawberries.  So if an extremely low carb diet is not advised, is there something wrong with a mere low-carb diet that does include fruits and vegetables?

A diet that includes fruit and vegetables would not be low carb, as fruit and vegetables are mostly made up of carbs.

Well, that's my POV.  I'd be interested in hearing from the OP and others, because I like to learn.

I think the most important thing is to separate hype from science. None of the fads like Atkins, Keto, etc., are based on long-term, rigorous research. They lead to quick short-term weight loss in some people, but the same can be said about chemotherapy. Just because something causes weight loss doesn't mean it's healthy.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 8

I'm giving you both likes because I'm enjoying the discussion.  Right now I just need to go on some kind of diet, any kind at all, because the holidays have got me so far out of control I'm eating things that aren't even food.  I just got through washing out a Coolwhip container and I couldn't get the stuff to dissolve and go down the drain.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm giving you both likes because I'm enjoying the discussion.  Right now I just need to go on some kind of diet, any kind at all, because the holidays have got me so far out of control I'm eating things that aren't even food.  I just got through washing out a Coolwhip container and I couldn't get the stuff to dissolve and go down the drain.

Next time you're faced with Cool Whip or other non-food items posing as food, repeat the famous Michael Pollan quote in your mind: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." 😄

• Love 5

A big part of why low-carb diets work short-term is because carbohydrates help our muscles and brains utilize (and retain) water, which is necessary for proper function especially for an exerciser. Cutting carbs means you retain far less water, which results in an initial drop of water weight of maybe 8-15 pounds. There are a lot of people, particularly with insulin resistance, who function very well on low-carb diets in the long term because they are sedentary. It's interesting to me how different diets work well for different people. Drinking extra water to make up for a lack of carbs can definitely screw up electrolyte balance, so adding salt makes sense, but it ends up being an "old lady who swallowed a fly" situation for a lot of people unless they get that balance exactly right. Carbohydrates help make it more of a tricycle than a bicycle, hydration-wise. If that makes any sense. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the feedback y'all.  What do people think about intermittent fasting?  My dad has diabetes and he finds it helps him. 

Every time I'm about to suggest it to my husband, I remember it has the word "fasting" in it I change my mind and eat candy (or CoolWhip).

I need my diets to be simple or I just won't do them.  I don't follow the advice of nutritionists, although I should.  I just feel like going to the grocery store and figuring out meal plans and learning new recipes is like a form of punishment.  

Maybe if I make enough at my job, I can outsource the meal business to a private chef.  This is why God created comparative advantage!

• LOL 2

I think you might like Intermittant Fasting, Libertarian!  It's simplicity is  the very thing I liked about it.  A few years ago I did it for a year and lost 50 lbs.  I just tried to have dinner over by 6 PM and didn't have anything but water (black coffee in the morning) until lunch at 11:00 the next day. 

I gave up sweets at the same time so that calorie deficit might have had something to do with the weight loss, but I know the fasting really helped because I had been a big night snacker.  It also helped with my GERD which completely went away and I slept much better.

For me the biggest benefit was mental.  I would finish dinner, go brush my teeth, do the dishes and wipe down the counters, and then say to myself, "The kitchen is closed."  And something would kind of relax in my brain, knowing I didn't have to make a single food decision, good or bad, for the next 17 hours.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

My big problems were portion control and willpower. What really helped me was Weight Watchers, mostly because it taught me how to eat without overeating and it did so using the foods I already ate. No food was off-limits but it taught me how to account for my foods instead. (So, if you want an ice cream sundae, have an ice cream sundae, but maybe consider having a salad for dinner to balance it out. That kind of thing.)

I don't follow the WW plan as strictly now but I do find myself using what I learned on a daily basis. I lost 40 pounds back in 2007/2008 and I've kept about 30 of it off since.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I need my diets to be simple or I just won't do them.  I don't follow the advice of nutritionists, although I should.  I just feel like going to the grocery store and figuring out meal plans and learning new recipes is like a form of punishment.

I'm the same way, and I was surprised how simple I found the plant-based diet. It doesn't get much simpler than opening a can of beans, chopping and steaming/roasting/sauteeing some vegetables, cooking a batch of brown rice or quinoa to last several days (you can even cook a bigger batch and freeze some for later use), etc. I sometimes cook more elaborate recipes on the weekends, but it's comforting to know that I can always make a meal in 20 minutes or less with five ingredients or less.

• Love 3

I love those quick rice based meals, too. I've been making this zucchini skillet once a week for a few years now because my vegetarian son loves it and even my meat eating husband is satisfied with it.  If my son is in a vegan phase, I just leave the cheese off his half.  recipe

• Love 2

I just wanted to say that it's been a tough week with the "social distancing", being forced to work from home indefinitely, and the empty store shelves reminding me of my childhood in the former Soviet Union, so I've really been looking forward to tonight's TIU episode thread on PTV. I'm glad everyone is as snarky as ever! 

• Love 3

So there's no play space for kids?  We had "work," (i.e. tracing numbers/letters and such) but I think we had bins where we kept our things.  I don't remember.  Did you guys have assigned seating?  It's so weird to see that in kindergarten rooms.  I recall our classroom being bigger than the older kids' rooms, but part of the school I went to had open classroom arrangements (basically a huge open space where classrooms were separated by dividers or cubbies/shelves...or both.....I think that was one of the reasons why my parents transferred me to a Catholic school for Grade 1). 

Responding to @PRgal's post above from the recent episode thread.

I preface this to say that the USA (like Canada) is so huge, with the various states and school systems, private vs. parochial vs public etc, people have vastly different experiences. 

I went to private secular school my entire K-12 career, for me kindergarten was a full day, and we had individual desks, yes there are assigned seats, and they are often grouped in 4-6 (facing each other) so the kids can interact. There are separate spaces for kids to sit/play on the floor, for the teacher to lead activities etc. 

one with significant special needs,

“Special Needs” Is a Euphemism That Hurts Disabled Kids

My intention is NOT to pick on this poster, but this drives me up a flipping tree. Parents of disabled children tend to LOVE this term.  Many disabled children do not.  I would LOVE to see this term disappear forever.

I do not have a "special need."  I have a disability.  It has a name.  Or I just say, "I'm disabled."

Jack Pearson is not a "special-needs child." He is blind or has low vision. I can't remember his diagnosis.

Parents, I know you love your kids, but among other reasons to loathe this term, "special needs" constantly frames your child as a child. Children grow and become adults, even adults who live with significant disabilities.

Just something to consider as you read this article about some research. Please and thank you.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Ohmo said:

My intention is NOT to pick on this poster, but this drives me up a flipping tree. Parents of disabled children tend to LOVE this term.  Many disabled children do not.  I would LOVE to see this term disappear forever.

I do not have a "special need."  I have a disability.  It has a name.  Or I just say, "I'm disabled."

Jack Pearson is not a "special-needs child." He is blind or has low vision. I can't remember his diagnosis.

Parents, I know you love your kids, but among other reasons to loathe this term, "special needs" constantly frames your child as a child. Children grow and become adults, even adults who live with significant disabilities.

Just something to consider as you read this article about some research. Please and thank you.

I have epilepsy and Neurofibromatosis.  I like to call myself normal.  I know some people with either or both who emphasize that they're disabled/have an invisible disability (I also know people with other health conditions who say that (e.g. congenial heart conditions)).  I've tried to accept it for myself, but really, it didn't work for me.  I think that's where people get confused.  They don't know where/when/how to refer to things without being unPC/"woke" anymore.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, Whimsy said:

My husband loves to BBQ. We have 3 smokers. We all enjoy eating the food, but it’s not a feel-good, fun family day. It’s a meal like any other. We gather at meal time, eat it and that’s it.
We were recently given a Green Egg from someone who just never used it. We didn’t have one before because it was too pricey and also not as good for smoking meat. 

bringing it here

any chance you have a good bacon recipe? Been trying to make some pork belly into bacon and can't get it right

On 1/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, Ohmo said:

it's the worst when people abbreviate it to "sped" to describe someone. I can understand using sped in a professional setting, or a course (all of my special education classes in college were under the code SPED), but yeaaah

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

bringing it here

any chance you have a good bacon recipe? Been trying to make some pork belly into bacon and can't get it right

it's the worst when people abbreviate it to "sped" to describe someone. I can understand using sped in a professional setting, or a course (all of my special education classes in college were under the code SPED), but yeaaah

I’d love to share if we did!  No, our smoking tends to be pork butt (mmmm, pulled pork), brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. 

16 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I’d love to share if we did!  No, our smoking tends to be pork butt (mmmm, pulled pork), brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. 

Damn - been trying to do a good bacon recipe for a few years, haven't been able to get it right just yet. We're going to try to do a cold smoked pork belly bacon, see if that works better.

Have you ever tried to smoke kosher salt? If you haven't, do it - pour a 3 lb box of kosher salt into a foil pan, hot smoke it for like 30-45 minutes. It is amazing - it smells smoky, but doesn't taste super smoky, just has an extra delicious kick to it.

Also, if you haven't smoked mac & cheese - try it. It is great

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

Damn - been trying to do a good bacon recipe for a few years, haven't been able to get it right just yet. We're going to try to do a cold smoked pork belly bacon, see if that works better.

Have you ever tried to smoke kosher salt? If you haven't, do it - pour a 3 lb box of kosher salt into a foil pan, hot smoke it for like 30-45 minutes. It is amazing - it smells smoky, but doesn't taste super smoky, just has an extra delicious kick to it.

Also, if you haven't smoked mac & cheese - try it. It is great

Thanks!  Will try both of those!!

Bringing over from episode thread Saturday in the Park. I was adopted at 18 months old with my brother who had just turned 3. We both have childhood memories from those ages. I think some of my memories are from family talking about them, but there are others that I know are my own vivid memories.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Bringing over from episode thread Saturday in the Park. I was adopted at 18 months old with my brother who had just turned 3. We both have childhood memories from those ages. I think some of my memories are from family talking about them, but there are others that I know are my own vivid memories.

Thanks for bringing over here from "SITP" of the TIU thread.  Maybe more of the non-episode posts from that thread will be up here!

• Love 1

Yeah kids are like marriage luminol. You don't divorce because of the kids. They just hilight where the faults are. It sucks. This show was so raw with this but kind of sugar coated the ending of it all being ok. I don't know anyone like that really. I wish I did. I actually got emotional at the end. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 1