Type keyword(s) to search

To Recast or To Not: That is The Question!

• Start Topic

So I'm calling it now: IF we get a Jason recast? Then we're getting a recast Robin. They'd have to. Jason is the reason she left her husband and child. If he comes back Robin has to be with him. They can't use KMc because Robin has to stay this time, she can't go running off. Again. And KMc isn't available like that. They have to cast an actress who is.

But they're not. That's not how RC and FV work. They work around the actors they want to, and not the ones they don't - they wrote Tuc Watkins in and out of OLTL at least five or six times over the course of five straight years while continuing his romance with Robin Strasser, and keeping her central character of Dorian largely at the whim of his comings and goings for most of that duration. Whenever he was gone she just got up to other shenanigans or at worst, supported her family members.

They want to work around Kimberly McCullough the same way they did other name actors at OLTL or GH, and therefore FV has no interest in recasting that part. Jason is another story. And Jason has plenty of story and connections with or without Robin on the canvas. I'll bet money on that call, because I know the info about FV and KMc to be true. It will never happen.

Edited by jsbt

I think Robin could be recast.  Lucky, Nikolas and Emily were.  It's annoying the way she comes and goes.  If she were single it wouldn't be as much so, but they married her off and gave her a child, and now have to use ridiculous story lines for excuses for her to leave.  And we've seen the originals comes back after a recast, so it would not mean she'd lost the part forever.  

• Love 2

If we were talking about the previous regime, I could maybe buy Kim McC's more limited availability as a reasonable excuse for recasting. But the RC/FV regime is all about a) block taping and b) not even featuring major stories for literally MONTHS at a time. I see no reason they can't work with her schedule to give Robin an acceptable level of play in the current GH environment - she'd be central to the canvas for a few weeks at at time, then you might not see her for a couple of months and occasionally another character tosses in a line about how she bumped into her in the lab the other night, putting in long hours on some new research project. Hell, they could page her on the GH intercom once in a while (Guza did that with Bobbie and Monica for friggin' YEARS). JT and Emma can be included in other storylines and throw away a line or two about seeing her for dinner that night. Then she's back on for a week or two to tie up a plot point or a major confrontation scene, then gone again for a few months, then back for a block of several weeks. We're getting that NOW with other characters whose portrayers are a hell of a lot more available.

So I can't buy that it can't work, if RC/FV wanted it to. But they have no real interest in anything but stunt casting and sweeps stunts, camp over substance, and playing dollhouse with their favorite actors/pet characters.

• Love 7

I'm joining up with camp "Keep the Character Offscreen." I don't see why recasting Robin would be needed. Just don't use the character until a good storyline and Kim's availability matched up. I don't think Patrick needs romantic storylines, but I wouldn't be against him moving on with ABS (anyone but Sabrina). Heck, I still think Patrick and Liz have a lot of potential. Robin has always been my #1 character on this show, but I wouldn't hold that against Patrick in the slightest. 

I'm joining up with camp "Keep the Character Offscreen." I don't see why recasting Robin would be needed. Just don't use the character until a good storyline and Kim's availability matched up. I don't think Patrick needs romantic storylines, but I wouldn't be against him moving on with ABS (anyone but Sabrina). Heck, I still think Patrick and Liz have a lot of potential. Robin has always been my #1 character on this show, but I wouldn't hold that against Patrick in the slightest.

Then why didn't they write KMc out like that this last time? TPTB could very easily have placed The Frozen Ones in PC or nearby. Where we would see Robin every few months and it would dovetail perfectely with the way RC does block shooting. If they could have done it they would have.

They didn't do that because even the way RC shoots, they couldn't accommodate KMc's schedule.

No, they didn't do that because they didn't want to. Even McCullough said they told her she could split. They taped Trevor St. John months ahead of OLTL's ending - they could've block-taped whatever they wanted to with Kim and dropped Robin in with little dribs and drabs for months at a time. They chose not to. It's their prerogative and she was at their disposal, not vice versa.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I think Robin could be recast.  Lucky, Nikolas and Emily were.  It's annoying the way she comes and goes.  If she were single it wouldn't be as much so, but they married her off and gave her a child, and now have to use ridiculous story lines for excuses for her to leave.  And we've seen the originals comes back after a recast, so it would not mean she'd lost the part forever.  

none of those characters had the longevity Robin had/has, especially Nik. Tyler was 23 when he started on the show and when he was recast he had only been on for 3 years.

They didn't do that because even the way RC shoots, they couldn't accommodate KMc's schedule.

You say can't while I believe they don't want to work with KMc's schedule. With the way they do block taping & the amount of actual show days they tape in one work day, it coud be done.

I will agree to disagree on this topic.

Has anyone heard anything about the Joss recast?

ETA:

GH has sent out a casting call for an actress  that would begin taping in May in a part described as "Hispanic. 27-33. Beautiful, passionate, dynamic. Originally from Mexico [sabrina, it should be noted, is a native of Puerto Rico], she has come to Port Charles to pursue a career in medicine." While the show is seeking a recurring player to fill the role, the casting notice asks, "Please only submit actresses that are open to the possibility of a Contract Role as well."

New #GH Role: [NOREEN] Caucasian, mid 40s, a delicate beauty with strength and fireunderneath her initial frail presence...CONTRACT ROLE. I fear this is for Nina. Silas doesn't have enough people attached to him yet.

Edited by BestestAuntEver

We will never know the ends and outs of RC'S desire vs KMc's schedule.

The real question is: Why should they work around her schedule? She walked away from the role to do other things and has stated she's not back for the long haul. Sentimentality aside, this is on KMc.

• Love 1

You say can't while I believe they don't want to work with KMc's schedule. With the way they do block taping & the amount of actual show days they tape in one work day, it coud be done.

I will agree to disagree on this topic.

Has anyone heard anything about the Joss recast?

ETA:

GH has sent out a casting call for an actress that would begin taping in May in a part described as "Hispanic. 27-33. Beautiful, passionate, dynamic. Originally from Mexico [sabrina, it should be noted, is a native of Puerto Rico], she has come to Port Charles to pursue a career in medicine." While the show is seeking a recurring player to fill the role, the casting notice asks, "Please only submit actresses that are open to the possibility of a Contract Role as well."

New #GH Role: [NOREEN] Caucasian, mid 40s, a delicate beauty with strength and fireunderneath her initial frail presence...CONTRACT ROLE. I fear this is for Nina. Silas doesn't have enough people attached to him yet.

I thought they might temp recast Sabrina during her ML. Especially since she's been MIA for weeks. I know it's rumor and speculation but 'open to a contract role' makes me wonder if TC wants out.

If you are out for ml don't you give your employer a return date? At least a range? 'Open to contract' can only mean you still don't know if you have the orig actor after a certain time and you are planning ahead just in case.

Or....The other possibility? This is their way of letting TC know she's being let go. I can see FC/RC cutting their losses with the actress but not the character....& ml would be the perfect time to do it but ... I refuse to believe even this regime would be that putrid.

Edited by BetteBoo

Sabrina was not on for weeks - and nothing changed. No story was affected and it seems not many missed her. The wise thing to do is to just jettison the character completely, but FV/RC ARE NOT smart, so...

• Love 4

In all fairness to Sobby, this applies to a lot of characters right now. Everyone is in their isolated story pods. You could dump any particular story and its characters, and the rest of the show wouldn't be affected at all.

I mean, look at Sam: she's been on the show for over 10 years now, but if the Nina story was dumped and she disappeared tomorrow, the rest of the canvas wouldnt even notice.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

That's very true, Tiger. But at least Sam has ties via family and has the potential to branch out if RC gets off his lazy ass as Sam has 11 years of history to explore. Sabrina has never been integrated properly, or at all. She existed to have Cotton Candy fuzzies about a "widower" doctor she didn't really know, and get knocked up with his kid after he returned to his alive wife.

The time to flesh Sobby out as her own character was when she first appeared. SHE should have been established SLOWLY, then maybe see who she truly worked with. But RC had his "vision", so we have the mess we do now.

• Love 2

It's almost a good idea to have an understudy for the main roles.  A recast who is understood to be in second place.   This way the story is not interrupted.  Robin's story is absurd at this point.   They can redo major scenes while the primary is working there, like they did some Dante and Lulu scenes.  

I find myself torn on the topic of recasts.  On the one hand, philosophically speaking, I believe that any role, no matter how big or small, should be recastable.  We don't tell people they can't do HAMLET anymore because "Laurence Olivier owned the role", and, let's face it, soap opera characters are nowhere near Hamlet.  Also, on the shallow side, it's fun to speculate on who else might do a good job in a particular role.  On the other hand, I can see where fans become attached to a certain person playing a certain role - Sarah Joy Brown will always be Carly to me, no matter what - and don't want to see anybody else do it.  Plus, the number of wildly successful recasts, when measured against the number of "meh" recasts or just plain horrible ones is... not encouraging.  So I really don't know.

One thing I have made up my mind on, however, if that soaps are going to constantly hold the door open for specific actors and characters to come and go on the canvas - because "nobody else can play the role" - then they better man up and do what is needed to clean up canvas when said actor takes a powder.  And by that I mean either write out characters attached to the exiting character along with them or move them on into their own stories (up to and including new pairings).  For example, to use an example proffered upthread, it was absolutely ridiculous the way Dorian Lord became about as useful, storywise, as tits on a bull whenever the character of David wasn't around.  If the only reason she was going to be on canvas was to act as second-banana to him whenever he showed up, she should have been written out along with him and then the writers should have had both characters make a return to wreak havoc.  Similarly, there is no reason to keep the character of Patrick on the canvas if all he is going to do is sigh longingly at pictures of Robin and occasionally wave around a stethoscope.  That's what minor characters are for, not leading men or women who are supposed to be driving story.  It would have worked much better if Patrick (and the Scorpios daughter, Emma) would have left the canvas with Robin (perhaps he could have insisted on coming along to help unfreeze Jason - he is just as much a medical professional as Robin is - and to make sure the people she is going with don't get up to any shenanigans).  Not to mention that if Patrick and Emma were written out along with Robin, Robin wouldn't end up being a deadbeat mom.

• Love 3

As much as I love JJ's Lucky, I really need to see Lucky recast. I think that he was lucky to have landed a role on Nashville and is making gold out of it. TPTB on Nashville love JJ. Even if Nashville is cancelled, I have no doubt that JJ could get another role on primetime. He is just that good of an actor. If he does come back to GH it would only for a few weeks, so I say recast Lucky now.

• Love 4

I agree with Lillybee, JJ will not be back to play Lucky. He's great on Nashville, and definitely has the talent to continue to be successful outside of soaps. Lucky has been off the canvas for awhile - he's a legacy character and should be recast. Maybe not right away, but someday. I don't need to watch three guys competing for Liz's affections, which is probably what would happen if he returned now... but with a more nuanced story (yeah, I know) he could focus instead on outing Fluke.

One of my gripes about recasting is that when an actor leaves it's often a missed opportunity for TPTB to reevaluate the character to decide if there is value in recasting, or if the character should go away either permanently or for, say, six months. Somewhat related to that: usually there's plenty of notice when an actor is leaving, and the plot should be tweaked if the character is involved in a major story line. It's very jarring when a character is monopolizing screen time and --poof-- the next day a different actor is in the role (e.g. -- off topic -- Billy Abbott on Y&R). 

Yowsah I don't think there are that many roles that can't be recast. A handfull...nobody but Vivien Leigh is Scarlett O'hara and there is no other Michael Corleone but Al Pacino. Soaps? It's more about longevity, sentimentality and the actor not so much the role. Luke Spencer was a nothing character....till AG made you sit up and take notice. Carly was written intense and compelling but it was SJB who made her unforgettable. What if Jennifer Brandford were the first Carly? She'd have sunk like a rock cause Carly would have been written out after nine months. And I agree SJB was the most riveting Carly. But I see LW as Carly now. She made it her own with her tics, gestures, that imposing physicality and that icy stare.

As for writing a decent exit sl...tptb are trying to have it both ways. Keep Patrick in town so Scrubs fans don't dessert en masse, yet dangle Patrina in case KMc is really gone for good. Their mistake was in having Robin clearly and definitively choose Jason over her family. Cause now? If she does come back she can't ever leave. Not voluntarily.

Edited by BetteBoo

It's almost a good idea to have an understudy for the main roles.  A recast who is understood to be in second place.   This way the story is not interrupted.  Robin's story is absurd at this point.   They can redo major scenes while the primary is working there, like they did some Dante and Lulu scenes.  

I think they should just show flashbacks with the old actor, like they did with Sarah Brown and Tamara Braun recently. It's not like we don't know there was another actor playing it. And watching Emme Rylan re-do Lante's first scene in like her second week of airing just made me irrationally resent her even more lol.

• Love 3

The thought occurred to me today that it's too bad Laura Wright is still squatting in the role of Carly, because Michelle Stafford would have been a nigh-unto-perfect recast for the role...

• Love 2

Yowsah one thing the portrayal by all 3 Carlys have in common is a rough around the edges hardness.

Imo it something essential to the character and it is something that is immediately obvious, overt with Carly. She's all got it together business woman on the surface but Carly can sink to insecure, vindictive guttersnipe in the blink of an eye.

I don't know Michelle Stafford's work....could she really pull that off?

I don't know Michelle Stafford's work....could she really pull that off?

I guess that depends on what you think of her acting. Some people like it and some people don't. Phyllis, her character on Y&R, was sorta similar to Carly. They're both grey characters, more so with Phyllis. She was a villain at times. They're both rough around the edges and insecure. Neither of them have too many female friends. I like MS so I think she could play Carly but I also like LW so I wouldn't want her to be fired.

On the "possible nuJason:  Billy Miller or Michael Muhney?" front, I saw an article in SOD while I was at the grocery store which states that Muhney is in talks to return to the role of Adam on Y&R.  So I guess he is out as a possible nuJason.

Since Rafe is one of the last Barringtons and Allison's son, I really think the show should replace Jimmy Deschler with a stronger actor. It isn't like there wouldn't be a line of 19-22 year old talented actors there to replace him. 

• Love 1

I wish they'd cast Miss Indiana as someone, anyone.  She can be a recast Keeks, Kristina Davis.  She may not have any acting experience but we have a lot of professional actors on this show fhat cant act for shit.  At least shed be nice to look at.

Right now? I don't think GH needs any recasts of anyone. What it desperately does need is to clean house and lose at LEAST a half dozen characters and tighten things up. Along with Rafe, Sabrina, Felix, and Nina, Franco can also skedaddle. I'd add in Sonny and Carly, but we know the score there. Maybe Shawn. And Duke.

• Love 5

Right now? I don't think GH needs any recasts of anyone. What it desperately does need is to clean house and lose at LEAST a half dozen characters and tighten things up. Along with Rafe, Sabrina, Felix, and Nina, Franco can also skedaddle. I'd add in Sonny and Carly, but we know the score there. Maybe Shawn. And Duke.

I wouldn't get rid of Carly, even if she drives me crazy and times and I wish LW would stop baring her damn teeth*. She moves things along and can be entertaining at times. Everyone mostly treats her like the nutcase she is too, even if there are some particularly egregious examples of her skating (see: the aftermath of Sonny and Brenda's wedding, but that would be also an example of why I'd keep Carly - she was cracking me up going insane over Brenda and Sonny).

*although, if they could get Sarah Brown back, they should go for it and re-recast.

• Love 1

The latest SOD is reporting that David Tom is being rather unexpectedly let go from Y&R.  What do you all think about him as a possible Lucky recast?  IIRC, he's about the right age...

I'm always against re-casting Lucky.  I think with David Tom (or whoever), the character would turn right back into generic soap hero (a la Greg Vaughn).  Give me JJ, or keep the character in Africa.

Personal bias: I was nine years old for the first Lucky/Elizabeth go-round and pretty much imprinted on them.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think JJ's return proved there was little to no point to recasting Lucky unless you have some incredible powerhouse. Greg Vaughn - nice enough guy, worked his heart out on a role the writers didn't give a damn about, but his Lucky was never, ever a priority for the show. And frankly, for all his good, very earnest work from an okay actor, he never had the poetry or soul of the original character. With JJ, for all the shit they threw at him upon his return, it was all back in a single instant. And Guza and Phelps ran him off again.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I don't care if they recast with someone not as good as JJ, 'll accept anyone who is decent. I just want Lucky back (and kept away from Liz). If they won't recast they need to at least have Lucky move back to the U.S. and interact with his kids off screen.

Personal bias: I was nine years old for the first Lucky/Elizabeth go-round and pretty much imprinted on them.

I was imprinted on them too (which is why I still pretty much like Liz no matter how hard the writers trash her) but I'd take a recast Lucky. But jstb is right, there's no point unless they get a great actor. I'm not so sure why when they first recast after JJ they went for pretty boy Young. I suppose because of Wendy Riche, who I heard wanted to recast JJ long before he left in 1999. And Jacob Young led to Greg Vaughn. After Jacob Yuong Lucky he was a relief, but I never would have accepted if he had been the first recast.

• Love 1

I thought Greg Vaughn as Lucky was awful especially when he yelled. I think JY's Lucky was known as Yeller McYellerson but GV didn't do himself any favors in that department either. 

With that said, I feel like Lucky should be around and since JJ isn't available, they should recast. Though I am worried about ReRon and Co. will do to him. 

• Love 1

This may be an unpopular opinion but I didn't care for JJ's Lucky when he returned for his Leaky period. Just the mention bring back the perpetually red eyes and when anything happened I dreaded the weeping and sobbing. I don't want a return if that is what we would see.

I don't know about David Tom as Lucky. I only caught a quick glimpse of his return as Billy and I didn't care much for his first run.

• Love 1

Here's some recasts I want: Eddie Alderson as Rafe. He did something kinda like this and did wheelchair better than MS. He would do justice to the character. As the brother of a pet, he should be recast as Rafe. Now. Non OLTL watchers, trust me, they hired the wrong sibling. Dude can act and has the look, oh and a chin.

David Tom would make a decent Lucky. He wasn't a terrible Billy imo. He looks young enough, can act, and looks like GF/TG enough. And...is available!

I want Silas recast. I want ME to play cop or vampire. Hell, let him be a lawyer. Anyone that can stay awake in scenes will suffice. Honestly, I kinda wish Roger Howarth had this role. I want to see him act against The Nina. That won't happen, so I'll take TSJ. He's the only actor who can handle MS.

• Love 1

Interesting, and agreed. The poor kid who's playing Rafe can't even react in scenes--he just stares blankly, like he's trying for intensity. And unfortunately, the ChiaPet look doesn't endear him to me.

Here's some recasts I want: Eddie Alderson as Rafe. He did something kinda like this and did wheelchair better than MS. He would do justice to the character. As the brother of a pet, he should be recast as Rafe. Now. Non OLTL watchers, trust me, they hired the wrong sibling. Dude can act and has the look, oh and a chin.

David Tom would make a decent Lucky. He wasn't a terrible Billy imo. He looks young enough, can act, and looks like GF/TG enough. And...is available!

I want Silas recast. I want ME to play cop or vampire. Hell, let him be a lawyer. Anyone that can stay awake in scenes will suffice. Honestly, I kinda wish Roger Howarth had this role. I want to see him act against The Nina. That won't happen, so I'll take TSJ. He's the only actor who can handle MS.

Having just watched David Tom's [re]run as Billy Abbott, I wouldn't initially have thought of this casting, but he would bring some of that, for want of a better word, nervous [or nerve-wracked/earnest+] quality that JJ projected.

As previously stated, I'm not an ME fan--I could take him or leave him on OLTL, but, as you say, he kind of somnambulates his way through everything. And, yes, Roger Howarth up against the scenery-chewer that is Michelle Stafford! That would be worth watching.

I don't know if Eddie Alderson would do a long term contract as Rafe or anyone for that matter. I thought he doesn't want to work on soaps? Maybe he would be tempted to do a 6 month or year long contract to earn some money to live on.

I wonder if Sonny could ever be recast.

Yes.  And it would go a long way towards making the character viable again.  Just for craps and giggles, I'll suggest Vincent Irizarry as a possible recast.  Just because if Sonny has to bed every single woman in town, he should be played by someone hot.

Here's my "I wonder":  Could the character of Levi be saved with a recast?  If so, who should play him?

• Love 1
(edited)

Could the character of Levi be saved with a recast?  If so, who should play him?

I can't imagine anyone spinning gold out that pile of crap.  I'm taking the rest of my answer to the koala boor thread.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

While I don't have the same problems with Jimmy Deschler as others do, I really think a role like Rafe could use someone far more nuanced. 

Here is my take on the casting on Rafe.  If the Rafe situation is anything like the Steven Lars situation here is what I think  happened: MT found an young actor who didn't have perfect teen model looks but could act, think a younger Scott Clifton. Like they did with the two Steven Lars that MT found in the Guza era, the TIIC rejected him and MT presented JD instead and the show got its Cole redux.

With how the casting had been of lately, I wonder if FV is just not listening to Mark Teschner. Both Ryan Carnes and Tequin Richmond were pre FV finds and now we either get mediocre but beautiful newbies or big name soap stars that I feel that FV just hands to roles too.  

Mark Teschner is an excellent casting director, but no one is perfect so maybe he really liked Jimmy's audition.

• Love 2

IIRC, the first Steven Lars (who I liked a lot) was rumored to have a drug problem and that may have contributed to his dismissal. That and the fact that Guza clearly did not give a shit about him.

Also, I believe Tequan Richmond was hired in summer or fall of 2012, well after Frank arrived.

I think the actor playing Levi is fine - it's the role and the writing which is abominable. And the hair.

• Love 3

Before Shaun Benson was cast, there were two others I heard were in the running: Dylan Neal and Nolan North. Dylan Neal has a solid prime time career and Nolan North played Dr. Chris Ramsey on Port Charles (an excellent character that would have totally worked on GH). As much as I liked Benson, both of them would have made better Steve Lars, but I suspect they also could have been the problem as they wanted to pair Steve Lars with Carly.