Type keyword(s) to search

To Recast or To Not: That is The Question!

• Start Topic

There's no point recasting AJ if he's going to continue to lose all the time. I'd rather AJ stay dead than watch him yet again be the Q and town punching bag.

I also think the show needs to lose at least half a dozen characters before adding more, but that's a pipe dream.

I definitely agree that we need some catastrophe to occur (Guza WAS good at those) to excise the cast bloat. It's getting ridiculous at this point, and the solution, to drop plot points...er, stories...for months at a time, then expecting people to care and remember MONTHS after it's initially dropped - is completely idiotic.

As I've said before, this show needs no recasts right now. It does need a bloodbath.

• Love 5

As I've said before, this show needs no recasts right now. It does need a bloodbath.

Yeah. What it needs is a Michael Corleone, (and NO, not the midgety moobster who thinks he's Vito/Sonny/Michael all rolled into one, but is actually Fredo, the pimp) to systematically kill off all the unnecessary people and just clean up, with a calm, practical, "it's just business."

And I also want a horsie.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Yeah. What it needs is a Michael Corleone, (an NO, not the midgety moobster who thinks he's Vito/Sonny/Michael all rolled into one, but is actually Fredo, the pimp) to systematically kill off all the unnecessary people and just clean up, with a calm, practical, "it's just business."

And I also want a horsie.

Well, barring that, how 'bout a meteor hits PC? Buh-bye, cast surplus! (Up RC's alley.) But there can be a hurricane or earthquake... (The late Santa Barbara, when it was first finding its legs, used an earthquake AND a serial killer to weed out the chaff!)

• Love 1

I want Roger Howarth to actually play Todd Manning, Original Recipe, 90s edition and kill half the cast. Am I wrong?

Yes, it is.  Sorry, but firstly, Todd is, I assume, somewhere looking for his pain in the ass brother.  Second, he wants to find said pain in the ass to get back to his family and, more importantly, his wife.  Thirdly, after he left Port Charles, I don't think he'd give a fuck about anyone in town, and not nearly enough to kill off any of them.

• Love 6

And then it's the fact that if GH characters need to die (and many do!), it shouldn't be a OLTL character doing the honors. I still say PTSD Robin should have fun.

You're right. I'll take PTSD Robin, but only if Monica gets some wacks in.

Taking my answer to the Speculation thread.

Edited by yowsah1

weed out the chaff!) I want Roger Howarth to actually play Todd Manning, Original Recipe, 90s edition and kill half the cast. Am I wrong?

If you can't have Todd why not cherry pick one last Y&R actor and have MM come on as a sinister child of one of the root families Balwin, Brewer, or Hardy - peeved that he's been treated horribly and starts murdering the 'chaff'. Only trouble, unless he kills a puppy he'll aquire hard core fans who, like Todd, will want to keep him, serial killer or not.

• Love 2

From the Episode Discussion page:

They had to do something to explain why Jason will now look like Billy Miller.

But why? Does RC hate Steve Burton so damn much that he has to close the door on him coming back? Lord, knows I have no love for the guy, but what if BM decides to leave and SB is open to coming back? When Sean Kanaen showed up playing AJ, the show didn't try to explain why he no longer looked like Billy Warlock, and those two look completely different. When JMB's Lulu was kidnapped and ER's Lulu was found, they didn't say that she seemed to have massive of plastic surgery and went through height reduction, can't it be just like that? Aside from the age difference, BM bears a pretty strong resemblance  to SB. Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

From the Episode Discussion page:

But why? Does RC hate Steve Burton so damn much that he has to close the door on him coming back? Lord, knows I have no love for the guy, but what if BM decides to leave and SB is open to coming back? When Sean Kanaen showed up playing AJ, the show didn't try to explain why he no longer looked like Billy Warlock, and those two look completely different. When JMB's Lulu was kidnapped and ER's Lulu was found, they didn't say that she seemed to have massive of plastic surgery and went through height reduction, can't it be just like that? Aside from the age difference, BM bears a pretty strong resemblance  to SB.

I'm betting Ron wants to keep his options open in case Burton ever comes back, so he can then regurgitate his Tale of Two Todds as the Tale of Two Jasons.

• Love 1

Sean Kanan had already been established as AJ when he returned. And there'd been enough time between BW's AJ leaving (seven years, per Wiki) that I don't think it was necessary to mess around with explanations.

I'm betting Ron wants to keep his options open in case Burton ever comes back, so he can then regurgitate his Tale of Two Todds as the Tale of Two Jasons.

This, for sure. We've also been seeing pictures of SB's Jason nearly every day. For BW to show up as Jason with no reason for looking different would be odd, I think.

With ER, didn't we get a "the role of Lulu Spencer is now being played by..." announcement for a while? I think that's SOP when the recast is within a certain time frame.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I think the voiceover for recasts as a whole, at least on GH, has basically been retired.

And by retired, I mean "JFP is no longer around to try to keep Kale Browne employed somehow."

I kid, I kid.

But no, I think that voiceover is officially gone. 

• Love 1

They used the voiceover when Martha Madison played Liz for a few episodes as well.

I thought of that too . . . that was slightly before JL though. And I don't think we had another recast till ER. Franco/RoHo was right after her but I can understand why they didn't use it there, although it probably woulda been helpful, especially since RoHo had just been playing another character a month ago. I thought it was kind of glaring an omission with ER too, since they were throwing around JMB's picture while she was missing.

Why do you guys kill my dreams?! Lol. No, I doubt they'd never land him, but I think he'd be great with the cast. Besides, the block taping does allow for GH actors to do other things. But then AJ couldn't be the scum of the Earth because MPG is too damn likeable. Even when he's being a jerk.

I don't get why they have to make such a big deal about having another actor play Jason.  Carly ran upstairs to confront Sonny and someone in the bedroom (Reese maybe?) on Friday and on Monday she was a completely different actress. Michael went in a coma and woke up a year later a completely different kid, and there was another recast a while later.   No reason they can't so the same with Billy Miler.  I just find it irritating that they are even having this subplot to explain away Jason's looks -- or is it just because they couldn't get Bllly Miller soon enough? 

• Love 3

I think the way recasts are dealt with depends on a number of factors: situation (is it a temp recast, like Jen Lilley or Martha Madison); time between actors; the character's importance to the canvas; how TPTB feel about the character; where the story is when the recast happens; who the recast is.

There's probably a lot of MMV to this, of course.

• Love 1

I think Ron is doing this with Jason for the shock factor. Keep in mind the average GH watcher just watches the show doesn't go on line or read the mags, may not even watch Y&R to know SBu is on another show etc...

He is trying to create drama by showing Jason's "old" face and the average GH viewer will think SBu is coming back just to BAM! get BM instead and be shocked and surprised. I really think that is the real reason for the stall.

• Love 1

I think average viewer will be like damn, Jason looks good. I can't see anyone being scared of that lovely face. It's like an upgrade.

At the risk of pissing off Steve Burton fans, I totally agree with this post.  I have been watching Steve Burton on Y&R for what seems like a long time, and I am having trouble seeing these two actors as interchangeable.  They are different as night and day in the way they express emotion.  Billy Miller can go from crying to wicked to funny in a flash, and I don't see how a "stonecold" character can have an outlet for what he has to offer.  Michelle Stafford has the same abilities, and I am not seeing any charm, humor and sexiness in her story-line - just the crazy.  Sure, Billy Miller is absolutely gorgeous, and I have loved this actor for a long time, but..........waiting and hoping it works. 

• Love 4

none of those characters had the longevity Robin had/has, especially Nik. Tyler was 23 when he started on the show and when he was recast he had only been on for 3 years.

Most soap children are recast though, as adults.  It seemed to be a sort of rule with them; once past teen into adult, they went with an adult actor.  They went out of their way to find a new Maxie.  Nik example was one I used to show no recast is forever; both he and Lucky have come back after a recast.   Lucky had the part as a kid and later came back.  After 2 other recasts.  So a new Robin is not going to mean KMc can't ever have the part back if she wants.  She could even replace the recast a la "New Greenlee."  

• Love 1

I want a new NuLulu. Emme Rylan feels like Dante's babysitter. I don't care if Lulu has a mohawk. Blonde hair isn't important. Just fix it.

The possibility of Dante possibly "cheating" with Valerie has put somewhat of a spotlight on the Lante relationship ... with a number of the supportive "Lante" responses seeming to be more for the general idea of having a "token happy couple" .... rather than for the qualities of the couple themselves.  Even voices saying openly they don't care about the couple or the characters ... but saying that they just want to see "a happy couple" - ANY "couple."

Just speculating here, but perhaps one cause for this distancing from Lante is that  the couple is too staid, too settled, too sweet, too nice ... with Dante too accommodating, too good, too much in tune and at the whim of his impulsive wife ... and with his wife being perhaps too "maternal" (a much-touted vibe when Emme first appeared  in 2013, but perhaps a vibe which has a "best-by" date.)

Whatever, now when I look at the couple, I see a pretty photo op ... but I don't see a substance in which I care to invest.  Nice enough, but ...

Not sure if recasting is the answer ... or if some major writing changes are in order ... but I long to see more from both characters.

PS.  So very sorry about Tiger.  I do love our feline friends. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 2

I really miss JMB. Nothing against Emme Rylan, but I'm just not feeling her as Lulu and my interest in her and Dante as a couple has decreased a lot. But to be fair, the writing for the character took a noticeable turn for the worst when she was recast so I'm not sure if another actress would make me feel any better.

• Love 6

Thanks for your condolences. I've always wanted to ask if your sn is after Aurora from Sleeping Beauty or Aurora Borealis? I'm a fan of both. Just curious.

Anyway, I think with ER the Lulu character lost a lot of what made Dante/Lulu such a great couple. They were happy, but not saccrine. They were close to kinda realistic. They weren't super rich, they had kinda normalish jobs. Dante's a detective, Lulu is undecided- which is actually more of the norm lately for JMB's Lulu. They saw their families and had appropriately active social lives. I remember them even weighing financial options for the surrogacy and Lulu mentioning the cost of a dress once.

Now with this Lulu, it's like giant hair, airbrushed face, fairytale voice. I don't see her as a girl who ever liked danger, owned a nightclub, dated Johnny, or had an abortion. I don't even see her looking twice at Dante.

• Love 5

The possibility of Dante possibly "cheating" with Valerie has put somewhat of a spotlight on the Lante relationship ... with a number of the supportive "Lante" responses seeming to be more for the general idea of having a "token happy couple" .... rather than for the qualities of the couple themselves.  Even voices saying openly they don't care about the couple or the characters ... but saying that they just want to see "a happy couple" - ANY "couple."

Just speculating here, but perhaps one cause for this distancing from Lante is that  the couple is too staid, too settled, too sweet, too nice ... with Dante too accommodating, too good, too much in tune and at the whim of his impulsive wife ... and with his wife being perhaps too "maternal" (a much-touted vibe when Emme first appeared  in 2013, but perhaps a vibe which has a "best-by" date.)

While I'm not totally resistant to the idea of Dante and Valerie, my fear is that, much like Nikolas being accused of 'going Cassidine' the moment he displays the slightest hint of 'darkness', Dante will be accused of 'going Corinthos'. I like that he doesn't, in the immortal words of Jessica Tate, go through women like peanuts, and he's already enough of Sonny's Son as it is. If he starts screwing around on Lulu, that latent tendency to be an asshole might become not quite so latent. Particularly with MoRon writing it.

Beyond that, I didn't like the last Lulu all that much, so this new one isn't necessarily a downgrade for me. [shallow]If nothing else, she doesn't have a good percentage of a fivehead. [/shallow]

• Love 4

I don't see her as a girl who ever liked danger, owned a nightclub, dated Johnny, or had an abortion.

All of this. She is like a completely different character with the same exact name. Johnny would never have been with this Lulu.

• Love 4

While I'm not totally resistant to the idea of Dante and Valerie, my fear is that, much like Nikolas being accused of 'going Cassidine' the moment he displays the slightest hint of 'darkness', Dante will be accused of 'going Corinthos'. I like that he doesn't, in the immortal words of Jessica Tate, go through women like peanuts, and he's already enough of Sonny's Son as it is. If he starts screwing around on Lulu, that latent tendency to be an asshole might become not quite so latent. Particularly with MoRon writing it.

If he sleeps with Valerie I kinda do hope he just gives up on real (as in long-term) relationships and sleeps around. It wouldn't make sense for his character to jump into another serious relationship fairly quickly after this.

IMHO, when Emme's Lulu has been written as 'the real Lulu' she's done a fantastic job with the material. And I don't think the writing would suddenly get better with Julie back or another actress in the role. I think Ron is the problem, not Emme.

• Love 2

Shows often recast when they explicitly want to change the character, like with CD and MIchael. They clearly wanted someone who looked more vulnerable so that the rape story would work better. I don't know if they wanted to change Lulu, but a recast gave them that opportunity, and they ran with it.

Thanks for your condolences. I've always wanted to ask if your sn is after Aurora from Sleeping Beauty or Aurora Borealis? I'm a fan of both. Just curious.

Anyway, I think with ER the Lulu character lost a lot of what made Dante/Lulu such a great couple. They were happy, but not saccrine. They were close to kinda realistic. They weren't super rich, they had kinda normalish jobs. Dante's a detective, Lulu is undecided- which is actually more of the norm lately for JMB's Lulu. They saw their families and had appropriately active social lives. I remember them even weighing financial options for the surrogacy and Lulu mentioning the cost of a dress once.

Now with this Lulu, it's like giant hair, airbrushed face, fairytale voice. I don't see her as a girl who ever liked danger, owned a nightclub, dated Johnny, or had an abortion. I don't even see her looking twice at Dante.

My week has been "off-center" - not sure how else to describe it.  So I'm really late in answering your question re Aurora - Aurora Borealis - speaks a bit to my Canadian background, although I live too far east and south to enjoy the phenomenon.

• Love 1