Type keyword(s) to search

To Recast or To Not: That is The Question!

• Start Topic

I just saw the news that Billy Miller and Elizabeth Hendrickson could be the Jason and Robin recasts.  While I love BM and think he could do a great job as Jason, I can't stand EH.  There's potential in a storyline where Jason comes back as Jason Q, finds out Sonny killed AJ and pretends to be Jason M for a little while to bring down Sonny and succeeds! I think BM would probably work well as Uncle Jason to the Michael character.  As for EH as Robin - eh....if that's the case, poor Patrick, I'd rather see him become friends with Brad first!

• Love 2

Oh, man. I love Billy Miller too, but I so do not want Jason back in any form. It feels like we just got rid of him! And I may be oversensitive, but a recast Jason feels like salt in a Sean Kanan-shaped wound.

I have next to no interest in a non-Kimberly Robin, honestly.

• Love 3
(edited)

Melgaypet  Yes, I saw that article too in Soaps in Depth.
Right now, thankfully I think it is just the magazine's wishes or their "rumor" if Robin and Jason were to be recast.
I totally agree with you re: Kimberly McCullough. I couldn't tune for anyone else playing Robin.
For me it's Kimberly McCullough playing her or forget it.  

Edited by scotlore
  • Love 4

Recasting Robin Scorpio? I think Cartini need to stop sniffing the white out and face reality. It would fail. And if they are stupid enough to try, I'll have fun with the pointing and laughing at them while munching on popcorn as the outrage flies again.

And Elizabeth Hendrickson - rumor or not - is ALL WRONG FOR THE ROLE. It's too bad Kelly Monaco is Sam. The coloring and stature - again, if there is a foolish recast - would AT LEAST be more to physical type to KMc.

• Love 2

There is zero chance they are recasting Robin. I don't know what shipper idiot came up with that shit but I know that part is completely false.

yeah, I don't believe for one minute they would recast.

(edited)

There is zero chance they are recasting Robin. I don't know what shipper idiot came up with that shit but I know that part is completely false.

I'm not so sure. And seriously ..why isn't Robin recastable? A lot of viewers would at least be open to a recast if 1. she fit Robin physically and 2. a good enough actress to pull it off. Face it: Robin Scorpio will gradually fade away if the role is not recast. Her story cannot be told if she is not there.

And periodic appearances aren't a workable solution. Robin swoops in, spreads love forgiveness, understanding and compassion and scurries away again. The writers tie themselves in knots coming up with a laughable exit sl to explain her disappearance. How many times can they go to that well?

Tptb should either write the character out or recast. If they don't Robin will end up like Brenda: a visitor in a town she used to dominate. Because life in PC went on without her as it should. IMO, these short stints are bad for the character.

Edited by BetteBoo
(edited)

It's not Ron who wouldn't recast anyone.

Most roles, you can break the seal on and recast. Robin stopped being one of those at least a good nine, ten years ago. It's over and no one at the show is interested in doing it, nor do I blame them, especially since Kimberly remains willing to return on a semi-regular basis for decent stretches. I imagine if they hadn't told her she could split last time she'd still be block-taping and appearing semi-regularly. I never thought they'd get her back on contract for as long as they did in the 2000s, and it seemed to me that she only left, ultimately, because the tone and tenor of the show under Guza drove her out.

I don't see a point in recasting Lucky yet again after two largely unsuccessful and/or unremarkable recasts and the subsequent return of the hugely popular original actor, but GH is open to that and I can understand why. Robin is another story and it ain't gonna happen, and I'm very glad for it.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

I get that KMc's fans won't/can't accept a recast. But dropping in "semi regularly"..? This is not feasible. Especially since the actress has made it clear she is not returning full time...not in the foreseeable future.

And as beloved KMc is I do not believe the role should be kept open, only for her. Not when she won't commit full time.

(edited)

It's not Ron who wouldn't recast anyone.

Most roles, you can break the seal on and recast. Robin stopped being one of those at least a good nine, ten years ago. It's over and no one at the show is interested in doing it, nor do I blame them, especially since Kimberly remains willing to return on a semi-regular basis for decent stretches. I imagine if they hadn't told her she could split last time she'd still be block-taping and appearing semi-regularly. I never thought they'd get her back on contract for as long as they did in the 2000s, and it seemed to me that she only left, ultimately, because the tone and tenor of the show under Guza drove her out.

I don't see a point in recasting Lucky yet again after two largely unsuccessful and/or unremarkable recasts and the subsequent return of the hugely popular original actor, 

I think Guza and then Wolf's crap ass writing for Lucky made it easier for them to recast now. If they just pick someone (and by they, I mean Mark Teschner, no interference from Valentini) right for the role and not just plucking some pretty boy for the role I think it can be done. I'll always want JJ's version to come back for Liz whenever this show ends, but the Spencers feel so sparse with Lucky even with Nik back. I don't know, Port Charles without Lucky is just weird to me.

I do think if they had done L&L2 when JJ came back it would be pointless to recast again. Of course, if they had done L&L2 JJ might not have left at all. But forcing the lukewarm Siobhan romance, and then killing her off and Lucky running around acting like she was the great love of his life dampened a lot of Lucky love from what I saw. To be slightly fair to Guza/Wolf even though they don't deserve it, JJ didn't help with the constant sheen of tears.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

I get that KMc's fans won't/can't accept a recast. But dropping in "semi regularly"..? This is not feasible. Especially since the actress has made it clear she is not returning full time...not in the foreseeable future.

I think it's feasible. It's not like Patrick and Emma have some massive storyline or that Robin is enmeshed in every central storyline on the show.

Even when Kimberly was on contract in the Guza/JFP era, it's not like Scrubs weren't often islanded off by themselves by way of GH's at-best-benign contempt for the character. And I know FV has no interest in recasting either.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it's feasible. It's not like Patrick and Emma have some massive storyline or that Robin is enmeshed in every central storyline on the show.

Even when Kimberly was on contract in the Guza/JFP era, it's not like Scrubs weren't often islanded off by themselves by way of GH's at-best-benign contempt for the character. And I know FV has no interest in recasting either.

This works if there is plausible reason. Robin is NOT Luke she cannot be seen to be skipping town every three months. Again hooking her into research for the WSB, and having the WSB move its HQ to Port Charles gives the writers the ability to put Robin front and center at times and then move her off to research at others. 

The problem is that Ron does not seem to want to be creative in how he handles characters, instead he wants to be campy and to push his own agenda/favorites

Edited by Fylaki
  • Love 2

This works if there is plausible reason. Robin is NOT Luke she cannot be seen to be skipping town every three months. Again hooking her into research for the WSB, and having the WSB move its HQ to Port Charles gives the writers the ability to put Robin front and center at times and then move her off to research at others.

The problem is that Ron does not seem to want to be creative in how he handles characters, instead he wants to be campy and to push his own agenda/favorites

This is not a problem that can be blamed on RC. KMc has stated very clearly that she is open to returning on a limited basis only. If her schedule allows. That's it. Limited basis if she has the time. There is no way a decent sl can be written around an actor who can't commit to the show. And the writers shouldn't be blamed.

This is not a problem that can be blamed on RC. KMc has stated very clearly that she is open to returning on a limited basis only. If her schedule allows. That's it. Limited basis if she has the time. There is no way a decent sl can be written around an actor who can't commit to the show. And the writers shouldn't be blamed.

Decent story lines can absolutely be written for characters who are in for a limited amount of time, provided, of course, that the writer has the interest in planning and utilizing the time they have the actress instead of leaving her on the back burner for a huge chunk of her return time and then remembering, a week before she leaves, that he needs to write her out somehow.  

I am 100% spoiler free, so this is purely my fear talking, but I am absolutely terrified that Dr. O is going to shoot Liz, and Nik will sit vigil by Liz' bedside, and that's how they'll get back together.  Do.  Not.  Want.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, after Nik sits vigil at her bedside, she comes to and her first word is "Ric?" 

• Love 5

I seem to recall people telling me Kimberly was willing to stay longer this time but they told her she could split. In any event, no, nothing excuses the way they botched her stint. She's always made herself available, it's the show that delayed her return constantly and then screwed around with the time she had.

• Love 2

Kimberly herself said it in an exit interview.

I don't understand why they just don't drop JT to recurring and just bring him and Robin back in for stints. They clearly don't have much interest in him as a stand-alone character.

I don't understand why they just don't drop JT to recurring and just bring him and Robin back in for stints. They clearly don't have much interest in him as a stand-alone character.

Because then it would be harder to have Emma around for the little kid triangle, which grows more and more annoying every time it's on.

• Love 4
(edited)
Decent story lines can absolutely be written for characters who are in for a limited amount of time, provided, of course, that the writer has the interest in planning and utilizing the time they have the actress instead of leaving her on the back burner for a huge chunk of her return time and then remembering, a week before she leaves, that he needs to write her out somehow.

Not to mention the brain trusts that are Cartini knew KMc was back for a limited run the FIRST TIME and still managed to get her back. They pursued her KNOWING all of this, so I completely think it is RC's fault that Robin's return was shit. Especially when a vet like Robin was sidelined so Frank and Ron could push the failure that is Sabrina at Robin's expense.

At any rate, most soaps do have characters, at one time or another, who are back for short runs. It is the job of the writer to plan accordingly, especially if he is one who entices an actor to return.

RC/FV can cry "We didn't have tiiiiiiiiiiiime!" for eternity. What it boils down to is it's complete bullshit and a lack of planning, talent, and insight on their ends in terms of how to utilize Robin (which should have comprised the Scorpios/Scrubs in the forefront and Sabrina forgotten much like now). They are PAID to do this. It's their failure that pet politics and piss poor lack of planning fucked everything up.

The reason they likely don't want KMc back now probably has jack to do with a limited schedule and more that the above fuck up would remind the audience of their incompetence.

Edited by WendyR72
  • Love 6
(edited)

I guess I look at this from a different perspective. I have gone through seeing one of my faves leave and I thought many of the same things that I am reading now from KMc fans.

I thought a coherent sl could be maintained even if VM would never commit to a full time return. I also thought those closest to her could be put in a kind of stasis until she returned: you know, still going on with their lives but managing to keep Brenda front and center.

And she did come back sometimes. I watched in excitement and anticipation, fully expecting it to be just like it used to be. With each return Brenda was diminished. One by one all her relationships and the bonds she had in PC loosened and fell away until even I couldn't deny it...Brenda was a tolerated visitor to whom not much attention was paid.

The time between appearances stretched and years went by although VM never stopped saying "I will never close the door on returning to GH". It has been close to twenty years since was a permanent cast member and at this point? Brenda's return would be anti climatic at best. She missed a good chunk of the lives of those nearest and dearest and she cannot pick up where she left off because nobody waited for her. Life went on.

This will happen to Robin unless KMc commits full time or the role is recast. It's inevitable.

Edited by BetteBoo
  • Love 3

Again, that's on crap writing.  The writing isn't going to magically get better if they recast, but the performance and connection to the role and audience will suffer.  So we'd have crap writing AND no reason to emotionally invest in the character.  I'll pass. 

• Love 5

Again, that's on crap writing. The writing isn't going to magically get better if they recast, but the performance and connection to the role and audience will suffer. So we'd have crap writing AND no reason to emotionally invest in the character. I'll pass.

Then it's been crap writing for a lot of other "irreplaceable" characters who voluntarily quit a role: Kristine Wagner, Jack Wagner, Jonathan Jackson, Vanessa, Finola Hughes..and all at different times, under different regimes. When they left, their story basically ended.

Nothing else is workable and having a character drop in and attempt to tell a compelling story for two months, four months every couple of years is unrealistic and a recipe for disaster.

(edited)

Because then it would be harder to have Emma around for the little kid triangle, which grows more and more annoying every time it's on.

They did manage to keep Robin, Maxie and Georgie on the canvas and in storylines without their parents around for most of their childhood through their teen years.  They could do that with Emma too. It not like "Mac's" going anywhere and he and Anna could look after Emma. :D

I think it's totally possible to write a good s/l for an actor they want to have back on the canvas even on a limited basis.They've done it before and I see lots of possibilities with this huge cast where no one actor has to be on all the time, where they could do some really good stuff with Patrick and Robin and play on the aspect of these two doctors helping the WSB  while on and off at GH.

Having said that I know I am asking for a lot given that we are working with FV and RC. I am still hopeful. There is no way they didn't see and enjoy those ratings the week Patrick finally saw Robin alive. 

As for what to do with Patrick in the meantime...I am still foolishly(?) hoping that this time around they will involve Patrick in a big storyline to help get Robin back to Port Charles as even "he" has to know that Victor Cassadine and his family aren't just going to let Robin come back as valuable as she appears to be to them. 

And until KMc comes back why not have Patrick actively involved in other people's storylines sans the romance, rather than slap him back together with Sabrina.

Edited by scotlore

Then it's been crap writing for a lot of other "irreplaceable" characters who voluntarily quit a role: Kristine Wagner, Jack Wagner, Jonathan Jackson, Vanessa, Finola Hughes..and all at different times, under different regimes. When they left, their story basically ended.

Nothing else is workable and having a character drop in and attempt to tell a compelling story for two months, four months every couple of years is unrealistic and a recipe for disaster.

Entirely a matter of opinion.  Shows have done good jobs with limited returns in the past, and they could in the future.  It just depends on if the writer can be assed to do so.  Ron should do his damn job.  

Regardless, though, the solution is not recasting Robin.  KMc is a HUGE part of the reason people are still attached to the character.  Throwing someone else in there isn't going to resonate with the audience who still wants to see her.  

Kimberly isn't the one who is letting the Robin fans down with her availability.  Ron's the one letting the audience down with his inability to capitalize on opportunities when they present themselves only to then turn around and try to throw the blame for his crap on the actors.  

• Love 8

Entirely a matter of opinion. Shows have done good jobs with limited returns in the past, and they could in the future. It just depends on if the writer can be assed to do so. Ron should do his damn job.

Regardless, though, the solution is not recasting Robin. KMc is a HUGE part of the reason people are still attached to the character. Throwing someone else in there isn't going to resonate with the audience who still wants to see her.

Kimberly isn't the one who is letting the Robin fans down with her availability. Ron's the one letting the audience down with his inability to capitalize on opportunities when they present themselves only to then turn around and try to throw the blame for his crap on the actors.

I agree with all of this. I'm a KMc/Robin fangirl & I would see anyone else playing Robin as an evil newbie impersonator. Not a Robin recast.

JI played Edward for years yet their were those who still did not see him as Edward. There would be people saying, I like him & he's not bad but he still isn't Edward Q.

Time doesn't matter. RC simply doesn't know how to write a choesive story from start to finish. It's plot point, plot point, forget about the story or miss all the beats then plot point ending.

• Love 7

For me the problem isn't that KMc isn't on GH full time, it's how Robin was utilized during Kim's last return.

There were so many ways to have Robin leave PC for awhile and return, especially since other contracted, full time actors disappear for months on end anyway...ie SK, NLG, JE, even RoHo's Franco ebbs and flows.  It's the awkward, rather meaningless story the writers choose for Robin that is at fault IMO, not the length of time Kim could commit to the show before she had to leave once again.

• Love 6
(edited)

For me the problem isn't that KMc isn't on GH full time, it's how Robin was utilized during Kim's last return.

There were so many ways to have Robin leave PC for awhile and return, especially since other contracted, full time actors disappear for months on end anyway...ie SK, NLG, JE, even RoHo's Franco ebbs and flows.  It's the awkward, rather meaningless story the writers choose for Robin that is at fault IMO, not the length of time Kim could commit to the show before she had to leave once again.

See how you say that?? You are doing what a lot of fans do when their fave leaves: putting the rosiest possible spin on the absence. As if it's a given that KMc is going to be available regularly, even if she's not "technically" a cast member, and she will just be available to pop in whenever to move the story along.  

And if the return is an epic fail?? It's the fault of the writers and certainly not the fault of a character that's been off canvas......as if no one would notice she's been gone a year, two years...four years..

Edited by BetteBoo

It's really very simple - you bring them back if they are available and you have story that matches up with their availability.  If only one of those elements is in place, you don't do a return at that time, because it won't work. 

• Love 1

Kimberly herself said it in an exit interview.

As if Patrick has no purpose if Robin is not there. And why should JT's livelihood be affected by KMc's decision to leave? It is certainly KMc's right to pursue other interests but JT has the right to a decent, compelling sl even without KMc. Especially if it is her decision to leave.

This is very unfair..& you would sure be howling if it were reversed. If it were suggested that KMc be backburnered or dismissed because JT was leaving.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think where they screwed up with Robin's exit was having her leave her daughter to go help a murderer. If they had just had an ambiguous "project" that the WSB needed for her, with Anna realizing and telling her daughter that unfortunately you cannot say "no" to the WSB, I think it would have gone over much better.

As far as recasting Robin, its success or failure, as with all recast would be highly subjective. I certainly think its a terrible idea since KMc has played the role since she was a little kid. But then I also think Lucky never should have been recast.

That said, while I loved TB's Carly and think she was an extremely successful recast, I don't think she shoumd have been recast afterwards. I think they should have gone with the original plan of having Faith kill her.

Edited by Tiger
(edited)

I really didn't want to get involved in this conversation, but I have to say this one thing--Robin was NEVER front burner storyline in the last three years she was a full-time character. She and Patrick were backburned.

And I will say also, that based on interviews that actors have done, like Vanessa and Sean--stating they were leaving because they were promised certain storylines and didn't get it, so they left early or the earliest date they could--I don't blame them. I blame the fucking head writers/producers, what have you for basically not following through. It's why Vanessa left after a year (when she and Sonny got married) and we all know why Sean left.

And I choose to believe them. Because the atrocious and horrid writing was on the wall.

As for Patrick, now where is he? After the initial reaction after Robin leaving...we saw him once, twice? Not since AJ's surgery has he appeared. Who's to blame for that? Certainly not Kimberly's absence. Or Jason Thompson's. That's ALL on Ron and Frank.

And coming from someone who watched Kimberly grow up, I will NOT accept a Robin recast. That's just how I feel. And I doubt Ron would recast her, either. Why, he wouldn't be able to keep using those Asian Quarter flashbacks of Wee Robin if he did!

Not trying to start a debate or argument; Just my honest opinion.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Exactly!  Patrick's not around now anyway, so why couldn't he be "not around" with Robin, just living off screen and called into duty when they have something for him to do? 

• Love 1
As for Patrick, now where is he? After the initial reaction after Robin leaving...we saw him once, twice? Not since AJ's surgery has he appeared. Who's to blame for that? Certainly not Kimberly's absence. Or Jason Thompson's. That's ALL on Ron and Frank.

And coming from someone who watched Kimberly grow up, I will NOT accept a Robin recast. That's just how I feel. And I doubt Ron would recast her, either. Why, he wouldn't be able to keep using those Asian Quarter flashbacks of Wee Robin if he did!

Well, I'm personally glad you did speak up, especially since I agree with your entire post. But I quoted the most salient points I concur with.

KMc's absence is not stopping FV/RC from trying to do something with JT. They just don't care, much like Guza's regime. JT/KMc were never high on the GH food chain and always knew it. JT, I think, stays for the check, and I can't really fault him. Like Dire Straits once sang, "Money for nothing, get your checks for free." Not a bad way to go. Unless JT still wants to act.

But judging by the crap he has had (along with everyone else), even if he had the screen time, I doubt it would ever be worth it with RC still writing and FV as EP.

(edited)

Disclaimer...I'm a shipper of good writing/stories...not any particular couple or character.

Thus, Betteboo, I am not a Robin or Scrubs fan fave. What I had wanted to see was a decent storyline for Robin, Patrick and her family, and what I ended up watching was the Mary Sue Sabrina Magical Wedding Gown and Pee Stick Tour instead. By the time the writers got around to actually writing for Scrubs, KMc's time was just about over. According to Kim she offered to stay around longer, but her offer was rejected. And according to RC's interviews, the writers apparently all agreed that having Robin leave to defrost Jason was the best they could come up with for Robin's exit story. It is what it is.

Afterwards, Patrick mopes and cries for several days and now he too has more or less disappeared. If the writers were interested in writing for Patrick as a stand alone character he would be on air now with or without Robin, because Patrick is about to become a father again...unless Sabrina's baby is Carlos' child after all.

From all apparent appearances, once Robin left and other stories took front and center, any interest in writing for either Sabrina or Patrick and their baby story waned and chances are it won't be revisited again until shortly before Robin is due to return once more. Again, JMO but Robin was the angst for Sabrina and Patrick, and without Robin neither character seems to have much of a storyline.

Edited by Bobbie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have no idea why this has a separate thread, but okay.

You can only blame so much on an actor. Vanessa Marcil did a full year on the show and was supposedly willing to commit beyond had she been accommodated or made happy. She wasn't - she had to fight to stop a love triangle with Brenda, Sonny and Sonny's son, and she reportedly left unhappy. She took her out. That's on the show, which mangled her story for a year. Jonathan Jackson came back for multiple years, and only left because like Vanessa Marcil, he'd been sold a bill of goods promising him one thing story-wise and giving him another. Another major issue was that they'd also promised him a lighter schedule and less grueling emotional story, and reneged. He took his out. Again, that's on the show, not the actor.

I know what it's like for a show to be held hostage by a character or actor; I watched OLTL starring Todd Manning for twenty years, and for most of those twenty years the show was beholden to Todds #1 or 2 at regular intervals. I don't think the situation with Robin Scorpio is in any way comparable. Kimberly put herself out there, made herself at their disposal and Ron and Frank mismanaged her time and her story. They have done this several times before. They did it with a lot of actors at the end of OLTL on ABC, including GH's Ted King who got totally screwed in his year on that show, partially because from what I understand Ron didn't even really want him there, and by the end the character was just a plot device for him and a nuisance for the viewers. As it is now, Patrick and Emma have no heavy story. Nor will they have any heavy story without Robin, because RC has no interest in writing it. So who's being harmed? Robin can come in and out - she is an iconic character played by an iconic actress. That's who, IMO, the majority of the viewers want to see. That's all they want to see with Robin - Kimberly McCullough. And when Kimberly was on contract for many years, they were always islanding her off in story corners with Patrick anyway. Why is the burden of commitment suddenly on Kimberly McCullough to accommodate GH? She's been doing that since 2005. It's not like she was Roger Howarth at OLTL in the early 2000s, taking outs every six months.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I just saw the news that Billy Miller and Elizabeth Hendrickson could be the Jason and Robin recasts. While I love BM and think he could do a great job as Jason, I can't stand EH. There's potential in a storyline where Jason comes back as Jason Q, finds out Sonny killed AJ and pretends to be Jason M for a little while to bring down Sonny and succeeds! I think BM would probably work well as Uncle Jason to the Michael character. As for EH as Robin - eh....if that's the case, poor Patrick, I'd rather see him become friends with Brad first!

Not familiar with Elizabeth Hendrickson...Is she a soap actress? What I really want to know is how good is she? Can she act?

(edited)

I realize that. I remember the TWOP thread being a little more broad and far-reaching than the daily episodes, but I guess this is the way it has to be.

Elizabeth Hendrickson is a fine actress - I enjoyed her on AMC, but her role on Y&R became incredibly irritating to me and I was glad she left that show. That being said, FV has zero interest in recasting Robin and that rumor (the Robin part, anyway) is bullshit. Probably coming from fans of the two together on Y&R from when they were paired. Billy Miler as Jason has been floating around the ether for a while now, but the Robin bit is new and entirely fiction.

Edited by jsbt
(edited)

@jsbt:

I will be honest: not a really big adult Robin fan. But I too have watched KMc in the role since she was Emma's age. I would also prefer KMc in the role rather than a recast.

I also have the experience of seeing my absolute fave leave the role & I was just as adamant re a recast. There was only one Brenda: VM. Guess what? Four returns in almost twenty years. A 10 sec peak in a limo to establish she was alive. A year long return in 2001. Another year in '10,'11. A week or so at the Nurses Ball last year. That's it.

RC could have written Shakespeare for VM & it wouldn't have mattered because she was gone too long and too much. It doesn't happen right away...But the years do go by. This time? KMc returned after two years. None of us know if/when she will return again. She could get a directing job or even another acting job. We don't know. Even if she doesn't she's said clearly that she wants to direct.

Please remember....this is the regime that kicked SK to the curb and wanted Genie frigging Francis to work without a contract. Most of the vets are recurring, without a contract. What are you saying they won't dare do?

Now they won't recast right away. Not Robin. But a year or so from now..?? I don't make the mistake of thinking any of the vets are safe. Because RC would dare.

Edited by BetteBoo
(edited)

All I know is this particular regime has no interest in recasting Robin. The EP, at least, doesn't want anyone other than KMc. So it's not the same thing. And as for VM, she had options to stay both times she returned. I personally don't think she ever would have in 2003, but last time? She might have, if Guza's material hadn't driven her away.

I also know McCullough is more than willing to return, and it wasn't her choice that kept Robin "dead" for so long. It had to do with poor planning by the show. Originally she was to return at the Nurses Ball last spring.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Also, they have no interest in Robin being a front burner character year round.  So it would seem that Robin popping in and out when KMc's availability lines up with potential story would be the best solution to both for the time being. 

• Love 1

ITA, that Patrick has vanished since during surgery on AJ & they have no interest in putting Robin in a frontburner story from her POV.

I also agree that with the horrid pacing of the show lately, there wouldn't have even been a reason for sending Robin off with the stupid exit RC created. Storylines are halted midstream for multiple weeks at a time. Ex, Julexis limited sex scenes Monday & then them not being on screen for the rest of the month or Cojones having scenes last Friday & not being back on screen together until next month. Hell, Tracy, hasn't even mentioned AJ's death.

• Love 1

Not familiar with Elizabeth Hendrickson...Is she a soap actress? What I really want to know is how good is she? Can she act?

She's really good, but she's not Robin. Almost more of a Maxie but that's not quite right either.

• Love 1

I agree that Robin doesn't need a recast. Robin has been played by KmC from the beginning but I am up for a Lucky recast. I am a JJ fangirl and have been since 11year Lucky first showed up. But JJ probably will never come back even if Nashville is not renewed. His band ENation just signed a contract with a real record label. A recast Lucky with GV seemed to have worked so I think that a decent actor could play Lucky.

• Love 1

I also think that they shouldn't and won't recast Robin.  KMc has played her for almost 30 years

KMc also seems to be more willing to work GH into her schedule than other actors like VM and JJ.  It wasn't like she completely disappeared for two years.  She left in February 2012, and was back in July, November and December of 2012 to move the story along.  She even came back to shoot one scene around the 50th because apparently the first video that Robin left Patrick didn't prop Sabrina enough and she came back to reshoot it.  

She has also made it perfectly clear that she is willing to return

• Love 2

I just saw the news that Billy Miller and Elizabeth Hendrickson could be the Jason and Robin recasts.  While I love BM and think he could do a great job as Jason, I can't stand EH.  There's potential in a storyline where Jason comes back as Jason Q, finds out Sonny killed AJ and pretends to be Jason M for a little while to bring down Sonny and succeeds! I think BM would probably work well as Uncle Jason to the Michael character.  As for EH as Robin - eh....if that's the case, poor Patrick, I'd rather see him become friends with Brad first!

I love the idea of a returned Jason Q played by Billy Miller.  I have no need to ever again see the Mob version (it's been played out to death) but to have him come home and find that Sonny killed his brother, that would rock.  I have a real need to see Sonny behind bars for this, and if ever he deserved to be convicted, it's for this point blank murder of a guy whose son he stole.  A guy he shot, not in self defense, but b/c he was in a cranky mood that day and damn someone had to pay.     As for Robin, I watched her grow up and wouldn't easily accept a recast, but if the actress would rather direct...and how many times can she be convincingly written out without the character suffering.  I've read a lot of criticism over how it was written this time.  so perhaps a recast is in order.  I don't mind EH but can't really see her as Robin, unless the story is how their marriage blew apart b/c of Patrick's frequent trips to that new gay bar in town - the Male Box.  Where he meets Brad.moonlighting behind the bar!  Great idea!

KMc has been Robin from Day 1, getting close to 30 years. It would be incredibly difficult to recast. Not impossible, but I'd rather Robin be off-canvas than in Cartini's hands.

I feel the same way about Jason. Until the mob is no longer central to the GH canvas, keep him off. I don't need Jason 2, Electric Borgaloo.

If Cartini had just sent AJ away to a Swiss Coma Clinic, I could have accepted SK's departure. But nooooo, they had to first destroy then kill off a core character from a core family. Because they suck. I'd rather see new characters than see those hacks destroy any more legacy characters.

• Love 1
(edited)

All I know is this particular regime has no interest in recasting Robin. The EP, at least, doesn't want anyone other than KMc. So it's not the same thing. And as for VM, she had options to stay both times she returned. I personally don't think she ever would have in 2003, but last time? She might have, if Guza's material hadn't driven her away.

I also know McCullough is more than willing to return, and it wasn't her choice that kept Robin "dead" for so long. It had to do with poor planning by the show. Originally she was to return at the Nurses Ball last spring.

You are making it sound as if both actresses are eager to return to GH and the lack of decent sls and bad planning is the only thing keeping them away. This is not true.

VM left to try for the big time. She gave GH five years and then she left to chase it. And had some success. Both of her returns, '01 & '11 were always for a year. She was never staying longer than that and she hinted that her returns were limited. The days of four year soap contracts are over for her.

KMc played Robin continuosly for nearly 30 year except for a few breaks here and there. She quit to join a directing program. And in her own words this is her focus, her love, her passion. Although both VM,KMc love GH and their time there neither is returning permanently.

So I'm calling it now: IF we get a Jason recast? Then we're getting a recast Robin. They'd have to. Jason is the reason she left her husband and child. If he comes back Robin has to be with him. They can't use KMc because Robin has to stay this time, she can't go running off. Again. And KMc isn't available like that. They have to cast an actress who is.

Edited by BetteBoo
Duplication of text within post
(edited)
So I'm calling it now: IF we get a Jason recast? Then we're getting a recast Robin.

I disagree. It could be as simple as Victor making Robin stay behind for more defrost work, with a threat to Emma if she tries to go back. If there were J&R, fine. But they have been done for ages. It's not an automatic link. And like many have said, KMc has been Robin from word go. The time for a recast was maybe in 1999. That window, IMO, has long since closed.

Lest we think Jason would never leave Robin behind, recall Vulture Jason in 2006, more than willing to let Robin die of Monkey Virus. Jason only gives a fuck about Robin when it's convenient for him. So him leaving her wouldn't be out of the norm.

Hell, GH tried to recast Anna, and we saw how THAT worked out, didn't we?

Edited by WendyR72
  • Love 3