Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Designated Survivor in the Media: Breaking News from the White House (Set)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, marinw said:

Asteroids don't "land" so much as "crash into" things and planets.  But thank you for that image. 

This asteroid brought to you by Space-X (the product placement is obvious!)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

In spite of Virginia Madsen being gone and the ugh new male additions*, I'm ready to give this show a chance solely because Adan Canto/Aaron and Maggie Q are still on.

But I will not watch The Little White House on the Potomac or Growing Pains: Washington.

*Zoe McLellan is a good actress imo, but I don't see the point of bringing in new characters since they don't write properly for the many ones they already have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'd give it half a season maybe the full season at a push before they cancel it. The fact that they don't seem to see the blatant issues with the show proves its only going to get worse as we go on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I don't see the point of bringing in new characters since they don't write properly for the many ones they already have.

It's a trend in Hollywood- because fixing writing issues would require too much work, producers believe that the only way to "shake up" a series is with new blood.

Not that I'm against bringing new people in principle- new characters can give new angles- but Hollywood does it so much that it just feels more like a "Band-Aid™" than anything else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

It's a trend in Hollywood- because fixing writing issues would require too much work, producers believe that the only way to "shake up" a series is with new blood.

Not that I'm against bringing new people in principle- new characters can give new angles- but Hollywood does it so much that it just feels more like a "Band-Aid™" than anything else.

And they wonder why the ratings for network TV are sinking.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So the next episode title is "Outbreak."

Is there going to be a pandemic? Please let there be a pandemic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, marinw said:

So the next episode title is "Outbreak."

Is there going to be a pandemic? Please let there be a pandemic. 

Dr. of Religious Arm Candy to the rescue!

Oops. Wrong White House set.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 08/08/2017 at 5:51 PM, marinw said:

So the next episode title is "Outbreak."

Is there going to be a pandemic? Please let there be a pandemic. 

Sounds like they're doing "random plots" again. If the show is committed to the "Case of the Week" format then I can get behind that, but if they fumble around trying to decide if they're a serial or not, then I'm out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well this is interesting.  They're saying that perhaps Virginia Madsen isn't out after all.  Perhaps.  Show runner Keith Eisner dances around, doesn't say she's in but most certainly doesn't say she's out either.  I interpret his words as "we would like for you to think there's a chance that Virginia Madsen will return so be sure to watch just in case she does".   http://www.tvguide.com/news/designated-survivor-virginia-madsen-season-2-return/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Oh give me a break.

With Season 2's focus moving internally to the workings of the White House, it means the Secretary of Education -- who works in the Lyndon Baines Johnson building and not at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. -- won't be a natural fit for the show.

Well, what did the writers *think* was going to happen when they decided to make her Secretary of Education, which was completely contrary to her character in the first place?!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, what did the writers *think* was going to happen when they decided to make her Secretary of Education, which was completely contrary to her character in the first place?!

Right? Not to mention, how does the FBI storyline (i.e. Hannah, Forstell and the new MI6 guy) fit in, if the workings inside the WH are the new focus?

13 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Well this is interesting.  They're saying that perhaps Virginia Madsen isn't out after all.  Perhaps.  Show runner Keith Eisner dances around, doesn't say she's in but most certainly doesn't say she's out either.  I interpret his words as "we would like for you to think there's a chance that Virginia Madsen will return so be sure to watch just in case she does".   http://www.tvguide.com/news/designated-survivor-virginia-madsen-season-2-return/

Exactly. They haven't asked her back, and they might not. This means nothing. Unfortunately for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Chinspinner said:

Wow, they have churned this out. I notice the advertising is for Kiefer rather than the show, seems apt. 

Let's just call this show "Commander in Kief"

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Since it hasn't been posted yet, for what it's worth, the DS premiere will be shown at the first ever Tribeca TV Festival:

http://tvline.com/2017/08/16/tribeca-tv-festival-gotham-designated-survivor-premieres/

Huh. I rarely admit that I watch DS, so I'm not sure whether to be surprised that it's included in something called the TriBeCa TV Festival, or what…

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Huh. I rarely admit that I watch DS, so I'm not sure whether to be surprised that it's included in something called the TriBeCa TV Festival, or what…

The Tribeca Festival is Robert De Niro's creation and has been going on for 17 years (I think), but it was only movies until now. So, make of that what you will.

I think, at the very least, it's an indicator ABC still believes in the show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This season the show shifts more to the inner workings of the White House.  Which bored me to tears last season.  I watched the show for Kiefer and Maggie Q, and even though I knew that Kiefer was the President and therefore wasn't going to be Jack Bauer Redux, I found myself very disappointed.  If the show focuses even more on West Wing Lite, then I'm definitely out.  I find myself quite indifferent about that, so maybe that's a sign that I should just quit now.  Just like with Quantico.

Share this post


Link to post

This show has been so scattered I can just appreciate that they finally picked a direction.  I always thought it would be interesting to deal with the family and things that they would have to deal with, being thrust into a spotlight they never expected nor were prepared for.  But they have to make it interesting and the former showrunners did not.  West wing is good IMO but doesn't leave space for Maggie Q, which would be a loss except that she is wasted here, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

As long as they reduce the spotlight on his family life I don't care..

Or maybe recast the family? Like the two Darren's on Bewitched?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2017 at 7:49 PM, Chas411 said:

As long as they reduce the spotlight on his family life I don't care..

Not the way it seems to be going, unfortunately.

Bonnie Bedelia was cast as President Kiefer's mother-in-law, "Eva Booker", who used to work for the Department of Defense. Sounds like the family will be a big presence.

http://tvline.com/2017/09/08/designated-survivor-casts-bonnie-bedelia-season-2-eva-booker/

The character's name is "Eva Booker" (which only evokes Richard Grieco to me, sorry I was a teen in the nineties). Wasn't there an ominous reference to her being Russian in S1? It could be of Russian "origin" but I think they said "she is Russian". Anyway.

I'll check out a recap, then I'll decide if I watch the season opener or if I just give up.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2017 at 10:15 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Not the way it seems to be going, unfortunately.

Bonnie Bedelia was cast as President Kiefer's mother-in-law, "Eva Booker", who used to work for the Department of Defense. Sounds like the family will be a big presence.

http://tvline.com/2017/09/08/designated-survivor-casts-bonnie-bedelia-season-2-eva-booker/

The character's name is "Eva Booker" (which only evokes Richard Grieco to me, sorry I was a teen in the nineties). Wasn't there an ominous reference to her being Russian in S1? It could be of Russian "origin" but I think they said "she is Russian". Anyway.

I'll check out a recap, then I'll decide if I watch the season opener or if I just give up.

Oh man. I think I'm giving up. There's a handful of new shows I'm kind of excited about, if I like them I'm just gonna quit DS. Every single thing I've read about Season 2 has disappointed me.

That said, I'm only disappointed in Bonnie Bedelia's character (more Kirkman family drama??), not the casting itself. She's great, and (judging from that pic) she still looks fantastic as ever. I'm glad she'll be getting more work. I just don't think I want to watch it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Princess Lucky said:

I just don't think I want to watch it.

Not even for Aaron's and Hanna's excellent hair? But I respect your decision. I try not to hate-watch anything. I will watch DS for the same reason I am watching Salvation: It's not great but I can't look away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, marinw said:

Not even for Aaron's and Hanna's excellent hair? But I respect your decision. I try not to hate-watch anything. I will watch DS for the same reason I am watching Salvation: It's not great but I can't look away.

 

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, maybe for Aaron's hair. Heh.

Hehehehe, yeah, that's the only incentive at this point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So now the Second Season Premier is called "One Year In":

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/09/designated-survivor-episode-201-one.html

 

KIEFER SUTHERLAND RETURNS AS PRESIDENT TOM KIRKMAN ON ABC’S HIT DRAMA ‘DESIGNATED SURVIVOR’

Paulo Costanzo (‘The Night Of,’ ‘Royal Pains’), Ben Lawson (‘Doubt’) and Zoe McLellan (‘NCIS: New Orleans’) Join the Cast

“One Year In” – In the season two premiere episode of ABC’s hit drama “Designated Survivor,” Kiefer Sutherland returns as President Tom Kirkman. Now, one year into office, Kirkman is a Commander-in-Chief determined to rebuild the Capitol and capture the terrorists behind the catastrophic attack on the United States. When Ukrainian nationalists hijack a Russian Air flight, the president is faced with a hostage situation in which his diplomatic skills are put to the test, on “Designated Survivor,” airing WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (10:00–11:00 p.m. EDT).

Paulo Costanzo (“The Night Of”; “Royal Pains”) joins the show as the White House Political Director Lyor Boone, Ben Lawson (“Doubt”) as MI-6 operative Damian Rennett and Zoe McLellan (“NCIS: New Orleans”) as White House Council Kendra Daynes.

“Designated Survivor” stars Kiefer Sutherland as Tom Kirkman, Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman, Paulo Costanzo as Lyor Boone, Adan Canto as Aaron Shore, Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes, LaMonica Garrett as Mike Ritter, Zoe McLellan as Kendra Daynes, Ben Lawson as Damian Rennett Kal Penn as Seth Wright and Maggie Q as Hannah Wells.

“One Year In” was written by Keith Eisner and directed by Chris Grismer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm disappointed that the conspiracy story line hasn't been put out of its misery. With the one-year time jump they really need to wrap it up within the first few episodes and send Maggie Q packing, That plot dragged on for too long without a satisfying resolution and gave a terrible actress more screen time than the thin plot and her limited acting skills warranted. I get why they hired Maggie Q. She has a very loyal fan base who will follow her anywhere, but she's a bad fit into this show. Her story line is disconnected from the rest of the show and she cannot carry it on her own. They will always need a strong actor like Malik Yoba or Reed Diamond to prop her up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 13/09/2017 at 0:44 PM, orza said:

Her story line is disconnected from the rest of the show and she cannot carry it on her own.

I personally like Maggie Q, but I agree she's miscast and very disconnected. I think Maggie's skill set works better as a snarky, jaded detective type than the "kickass, tough agent" this show expects her to be.

It's also telling that Hannah Wells has had no backstory or development (aside from having a dead husband), and she's essentially the second most important character on the show next to President Tom Kirkman. I don't understand why she's not a recurring character because she'd work much better that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 08/08/2017 at 2:51 PM, marinw said:

So the next episode title is "Outbreak."

Is there going to be a pandemic? Please let there be a pandemic. 

In Executive Orders, the Tom Clancy novel that this show borrows heavily from, terrorists weaponize Ebola and spread it about the US.

I guess since Tom Clancy died a while back the showrunners aren't worried about lawsuits.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone surprised that Designated Survivor tied its series low with 1x02? 0.9 it is. 

This show is so following the trajectory of the V reboot a few years back. Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Anyone surprised that Designated Survivor tied its series low with 1x02? 0.9 it is. 

This show is so following the trajectory of the V reboot a few years back. Sigh.

Nope, it is awful. There is literally no part of the show that compels me to watch; contrarily almost every part of the show compels me to turn it off. It is so mind numbingly dull. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ApplePie said:

http://tvline.com/2017/11/09/designated-survivor-kim-raver-season-2-cast-kiefer-sutherland-24/

Audrey and Jack reunited. Kim Raver is joining for an arc. This is probably unpopular, but I never liked her on 24. I having a hard time continuing to watch this show but I might as well stick with it until the end because I don't think it will last much longer.

Dynasty was given a full season order with a 0.2 in Live+SD by the CW, solely because it has an international Netflix deal. It was reportedly financially viable even before it aired.  IIRC, Designated Survivor has the same kind of deal with Netflix. If ABC believes they can sell their crap to stupid unsuspecting foreign crowds, at least  until they realize that no, foreign crowds don't eat it with a spoon either, DS might as well survive another season.

And I never liked Kim Raver in anything, even though I want to because she sounds nice  and level-headed in her interviews.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like Kim Raver, so I am looking forward for this. But I would like development more if Tzi Ma shows up in the show for some reason. He plays a lot of Chinese Diplomat types, is it could happen.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×