Type keyword(s) to search

24: Legacy in the Media: Verified Reports

Premieres in February 2017, following the Super Bowl (Sunday, February 4th).  Normal timeslot is Mondays 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT, starting February 5th.

Full Trailer:

Official Description:

The clock ticks again with 24: LEGACY, the next evolution of the Emmy Award-winning “24.” From Emmy Award-winning executive producer Howard Gordon (“Homeland,” “24: Live Another Day”), Academy Award- and Emmy Award-winning executive producer Brian Grazer (“A Beautiful Mind,” “24”), writers and executive producers Manny Coto and Evan Katz (“24,” “24: Live Another Day”), director and executive producer Stephen Hopkins (“24”) and executive producer and original series star Kiefer Sutherland, 24: LEGACY chronicles an adrenaline-fueled race against the clock to stop a devastating terrorist attack on United States soil – in the same real-time format that has propelled this genre-defining series.

Six months ago in Yemen, an elite squad of U.S. Army Rangers, led by Sergeant ERIC CARTER (Corey Hawkins, “Straight Outta Compton”), killed terrorist leader Sheik Ibrahim Bin-Khalid. In the aftermath, Bin-Khalid’s followers declared a fatwah against Carter, his squad and their families, forcing them into federal witness protection. But a recent attempt on Carter’s own life makes it clear to him that his team is now exposed. To thwart further attacks, Carter enlists REBECCA INGRAM (Miranda Otto, “Homeland”), who quarterbacked the raid that killed Bin-Khalid. She’s a brilliant and ambitious intelligence officer who has stepped down from her post as National Director of CTU to support her husband, SENATOR JOHN DONOVAN (Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner Jimmy Smits, “NYPD Blue,” “The West Wing”), in his campaign for President of the United States. Decades of sleepless nights and missed anniversaries landed her at the top. With the White House within their grasp, can she truly embrace a new role as First Lady? Or will her love of the action draw her back in? Together, in this fast-paced thrill ride, Carter and Ingram uncover a sophisticated terrorist network that will force them to ask: “Who can we trust?” As they battle Bin-Khalid’s devotees, they are forced to confront their own identities, families and pasts.

So FOX has decided to quit trying to find a new hit and just remaking everything the vault that last more than a season.  Ok then.   Looking forward to the Herman's Head revival!   

So is this supposed to take place in the same universe as the old 24 or is a total reboot, just using the real time format, CTU and impending terrorist threat (and doubtless countless implausible moles and perimeters leakier than a 90 year old's bladder).  

New version?  The first spinoff failed.  Why do they think a second one would?

Face it, Jack Bauer was the lynch pin of 24.  Without him, it's just another show about terrorists.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

New version?  The first spinoff failed.  Why do they think a second one would?

"New version" is a nice way of saying that they think the casting was what failed the show. Can't say I disagree. In fact, I was disappointed that they didn't use Yvonne Strahovski as the lead for Legacy when they did such a good job setting it up for her to take the reins in 24: Live Another Day.

• Love 4

Thats exactly what I was thinking. They likely wanted the show back, but weren't happy with the creative direction of Corey Hawkins character as the lead.

I agree with the Yvonne Strahovski sentiment. I can't believe she wasn't consulted for the reboot. Maybe she can be now, depending on her schedule.

I hope that they wait until Keifer is free of his ABC presidential duties, then plan one more 12 hour season with him and call it a day.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

"New version" is a nice way of saying that they think the casting was what failed the show. Can't say I disagree. In fact, I was disappointed that they didn't use Yvonne Strahovski as the lead for Legacy when they did such a good job setting it up for her to take the reins in 24: Live Another Day.

Regarding Yvonne Strahovski, yes, they practically anointed her as Kiefer's successor and it was a big surprise to me that they went in another direction.  However I'm not certain that it was the casting that failed here.  In the original 24 episode version of the series we had years to learn who Jack was and who the major players were.  Everything was familiar even when the faces changed.  In 24: Legacy we did not have the luxury of so many episodes and every single character other than Tony Almeida was new to us.  There were so many characters and random plots to keep track of and at some point not too far into the season it didn't seem to be worth trying. 

After I read this through I changed my mind a bit...some of the casting was off and unfortunately with major roles.  Corey Hawkins failed as the lead, the actor who played his brother would have been better.  The woman who played Nicole was not right for the part.  Gerald McCraney was stuck with a horrible plot line and he was wrong for it anyway.   

• Love 2

I;m not sure that Gielgud, Olivier and Mirren could have saved this mess.  The plot was weak, the characters tissue-paper thin and the dialogue so stilted it belonged in the circus.  Other actors might have done better, but I put 90% of the fault on the writers.

14 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Maybe this will open it up to bring back Kiefer as  ..... President.  Whoops !!! Wrong show.   :)

It's funny, but wasn't Jack doing the exact same thing we accuse Hannah of -- running a one-man show?  (OK, two, counting Chloe.)  But he was Jack Bauer, dammit!

6 hours ago, paigow said:

Reboot 24 with all the dead characters from Homeland

Like literally, as in 24: Zombie Counter Terrorist Unit?

I suppose it wouldn't be much sillier than this show has been in the past. And zombies are very popular right now...

• Love 1
11 hours ago, marinw said:

Jack Bauer verses zombies is something I would like to see.

Sounds like a Chuck Norris joke:

When Chuck Norris punches a zombie, it comes back to life!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, marinw said:

From that article,

"Because 24: Legacy stalled in the ratings during its run, producers Howard Gordon, Brian Grazer and Joel Surnow are now working on another reboot that won't even necessarily include a CTU or terrorist threat."

no CTU and no terroritst threat .... and no Jack Bauer.
I bet they will get rid of the real time format too.  And probably call it something other than 24: <insert stupid name here>.

Why even bother ?  They should just start a new brand show.

The casting wasn't great but it was the writing that really messed things up by trying to slip too closely into the old show's shadow without having plausible characters.  An anthology series pushing the series in a different and fresh direction would work.  I do think the 12 hour format may suit other real-time plots besides terrorism.  Having said that, S7 was originally going to move away from terrorism and it ended up successful but still very rooted in terrorism.  So who knows.