Type keyword(s) to search

The Face - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Throughout the show, I kept wondering how Raye is still there. And it's because of Lydia, whom I dislike for a number of reasons.

Her theatrics aside, I do think Naomi is a good judge most of the time.

I didn't think any of the teams nailed it.  Tiana was fine until she delivered the line which was over-the-top but I blame Anne for insisting she deliver it that way (and I'm glad Anne admitted that).  Ray and Amanda were fine except for Amanda trying to move in her dress.  Team Naomi won fairly not that they were perfect.

Not sorry to see Amanda go because I think she's hung on too long same for Ray actually and I don't care what her reasoning was for sending Amanda into elim.  Frankly, Lydia's strongest girl was Allison and she's lucky to have lasted this long in the competition at all (I expected her to the Nicole [Australian version] of this competition).

I've felt from the beginning that Afiya is the chosen one.  I found it funny that she was upset that Naomi didn't choose her to deliver the line considering how well she did the last time they had to speak in a campaign.

I wonder if Team Naomi had lost would Naomi have put Afiya up due to her backtalking her considering for the most part she's protected her as best she could?

In the elimination room Tiana looked like a model and Amanda not so much.  I'm glad Naomi kept her.  I know this show is all about the strategy but I'd think in the end the mentors would want the strongest girls to make to the end just to avoid the potential embarrassment of letting a filler girl win the show shebang.

I'd say next week Lydia's team is either wiped out or Felisa is sent home.

Edited by milkyaqua

If Tiana wasn't there anymore. the only girl left with any "X Factor" would be Ray (the rest are bland).  The winner HAS to be one of the two of those, assuming Naomi's ego allows another mentor to win again (remember Karolina won last time).

re: next week.  Perez Hilton?  Ew.  Gross.

Edited by Kromm

So apparently there are both Canadian and French versions coming.

Bets on if Naomi is a mentor on them?  Canada is a "probably" in my mind, and France is at least possible, since I'm sure Naomi speaks French and probably wouldn't object to spending a few weeks shooting a series there.

(EDIT -- apparently there are also possible versions in South America, Asia, and Africa, at least in negotition)

Edited by Kromm

I can't believe Afiya would talk to Naomi like that.

And what was going through Anne's mind when she thought of that delivery. It was so over the top, it looked like a joke.

I cracked up at Naomi's reactions of the Lydia Vs Anne fight. Lydia and her "I've been playing you both" speech was eye roll inducing.

I'm rooting for Tiana and luckily it seems she does ok during the Pigrez Hilton challenge.

• Love 1

None of the teams nailed it, but Team Naomi was the least of three evils. As one poster at TFS put it, "Tiana was grace in motion but delievered her lines as if in an 80s infomercial. Ray's delivery was great, but she an Amanda ran like two line backers with swollen testicles."

I cannot believe Ray, with her rat face, is the last one standing from Team Lydia. She is the least model out of everyone there. If she wins, I will puke.

• Love 1

So I can't believe that Ruth got scored that high with that pic.  I'd actually grown to like Nikolina but I'm glad Yaya is in the final five.  I liked that we got to see Georges do his regular job and that Nicole is acting sort of like a co-host as well as instructing the girls.  Naomi and her riding crop were ridiculous but that's Naomi.  Chantal is still a brat and Sarah needs to tone down the whine.

At this point, anyone but Chantal for the win.

From the first season of The Face (Team Coco).  She's signed with Wilhelmina L.A. and NYC, No Ties Managment in San Diego under Fashion, Models 1 in London under Main, Major Models in Paris under Main, and Monster in Milan as Margaux Snell.

She updates her tumblr and IG constantly about her work.

One of three editorials she shot for You mag (Sunday Mail), Free Spirit, photos by Luca Bellumore

Recent shoot for Rachel Pally holiday lookbook

She's back in NYC.

• Love 1

Is all publicity really good publicity? When something catches the models off guard, one model loses face with her coach and has a hard time recovering. The models’ composure is tested when they deliver a speech for a room full of press.

I don't even know what to say after this. 

I suspect the girls were set up to kill time in that waiting room - maybe a leading statement or something that made them think they shouldn't do anything. It seemed very artificial to me.

The rest of the episode went in a direction I completely did not expect.

(edited)

My initial thoughts:

1.  I loved the campy, over-the-top looks of shock (SHOCK!) that Nigel and the three mentors had while watching the girls on the hidden camera.

2.  Afiya tends to have a naturally sullen sort of expression on her face most of the time. 

3.  While I expected Felisa to be eliminated, I didn't initially expect her to quit.  However, I think she saw the writing on the wall -- not only had she performed the absolutely worst in the press conference, but it was also logical to assume that the team with two models left would lose one -- and figured she'd save face, to the extent possible, by quitting rather than begging to be kept and being eliminated anyway.

4.  They stated more than once that this was the last challege/campaign, etc.  What happens in the finale then?  Is next week's episode the finale?  (I hope so!  I'll stick this out, but I really dislike Naomi.  At least I now know definitely how Naomi pronounces her name, since you do tend to hear it pronounced both ways.)

Edited by MMLEsq

I figured if it came down to a Team Anne V win, Felisa was gone.  It didn't help that she pretty much imploded this epi.  Naomi was always pushing for Afiya to be her final girl.

I don't take any press conference seriously that has Perez Hilton in it and I wish these reality shows would stop giving him a platform.

This format just annoys me because you wind up with girls like Ray in the final.  I like that Felisa said in her post-show post that she'll try modeling after she finishes colleges for a few years but then go on to something that she's really passionate about.  I also like that she told Sharon that she should have been saved over her.  You can see her full post here

I'm pulling for Tiana though I'll be okay with Afiya winning.  Both girls are already signed with decent agencies and should be okay either way.  Ray on the other hand...

• Love 1

I'm pulling for Tiana though I'll be okay with Afiya winning.  Both girls are already signed with decent agencies and should be okay either way.  Ray on the other hand...

Regardless of which one wins, I predict that Tiana will have the better career. I do not understand why Ray is even there, however, other than Lydia having half the sense of a grapefruit.

And thanks for the link to Felisa's statement, Milkyaqua. It really does show class and perspective.

(edited)

Feh, Pezhead Hilton.

Naomi was always pushing for Afiya to be her final girl.

IMO that's the only reason she's still there.  Really, she's kind of awful (at least if there's any "spokes" element to "spokesmodel").

Regardless of which one wins, I predict that Tiana will have the better career. I do not understand why Ray is even there, however, other than Lydia having half the sense of a grapefruit.

Tiana is like the Margaux of this season--the only one of the whole group who actually SEEMS like a model.

Ray is there because she's adorable,  She's not the perfect model type like Tiana, but does have a real charisma.  If she goes for some kind of TV job, she'd have a much better chance of success (versus Tiana, who'll get all the high ticket modeling gigs).

The rest of this cast is just pathetic.

Edited by Kromm

Kahlo's Coachella photo diary

Fay & Rachelle, Kahlo designers venture out to the desert for a weekend of fun, sun, music and parties to celebrate and relax post their recent Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia show. Their friend and fashion photographer, Ben Cope snapped some of the best Coachella looks of weekend one.

Our friend and international model, Margaux Brooke chillin’ in the pool in her Unif swimsuit at the Opening Ceremony party at the Saguaro hotel.

http://www.vogue.com.au/people/events/galleries/kahlos+coachella+photo+diary+,30191

I can't consider Afiya to be pathetic. Pathetic models don't get signed to the Marilyn agency. Afiya is on their board.

I am pretty sure Tiana is the winner. Afiya is a gorgeous model, but a spokeswoman she is not. Raye has a recessed chin and invisible cheekbones. She looks like a rat with a lovely haircut. She can be a model for Claire's Accessories.

• Love 1

Well, that was a little surprise.  Congratulations to Olivia and Cheyenne but Yaya and Sarah did well also and good luck to them.  Why do people let Zac Posen design clothing?

In the season finale, The Face of 2014 is announced.

And we were all shocked, completely shocked, by the winner. Except we weren't. Or at least I wasn't.

Congrats, Tiana. May you have a brilliant career.

I have to add that I find Ray unattractive, though she takes great photos. Maybe she has potential in print. And charming old men. I think Afiya is borderline. I'd like to be wrong about both of them, though.

I second the congratulations to Tiana.  She was one of my faves from the start.  For a moment I had a feeling Fekkai was actually going to crown Ray which would have gone along with some of the other bad decisions made this season but thankfully the right girl won.

Afiya will be okay.  She's signed to Marilyn in NY.  I don't know about Ray.  She never should have gotten to the finale.  I wish her well but I think she's more suited for tv rather than modeling.  I do hope that if she's serious about modeling that she signs to a better agency than she's with now.

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw the runway stills from the final episode. Ray looked like a mall rat playing dress up that wandered onto the runway. Afiya looked...odd. Tiana looked glorious.

I look forward to see where Afiya and Tiana go after this.

Afiya needs to learn to soften her expression and present different emotions. However, with the Marilyn Agency behind her I think she'll go far. I have seen photos of her on the Instagram accounts from several photographers that I follow, and they sing her praises.

Tiana's win was somewhat predictable from the final three. She did the best in the panel. Unlike Ray, Tiana (and Afiya and pretty much everyone else in the competition) looks like a model. I hope this gives her a much needed push.

Edited by C0mputerGeek
  • Love 1
Afiya needs to learn to soften her expression and present different emotions.

I agree with this.  Even looking at her Marilyn pics she has a sort of harsh expression on her face (though that seems to have been the agency's call) and in the viewing party finale pics she barely makes an effort to not look harsh.  I'm glad to read about the photographers singing her praises though.  During the final walk on the runway with Naomi she smiled and looked happy which was nice to see.

• Love 2

Afiya needs to learn to soften her expression and present different emotions. However, with the Marilyn Agency behind her I think she'll go far. I have seen photos of her on the Instagram accounts from several photographers that I follow, and they sing her praises.

I agree with this.  Even looking at her Marilyn pics she has a sort of harsh expression on her face (though that seems to have been the agency's call) and in the viewing party finale pics she barely makes an effort to not look harsh.  I'm glad to read about the photographers singing her praises though. 

Looking at the pictures on the Marilyn site, there's not a single picture of her smiling.  I guess I must be super old-fashioned because I would think a modeling agency would pick at least one picture of the model smiling for her portfolio.  If I was a potential client and saw her portfolio pictures, it would make me wonder if there was something wrong with her teeth (which we know there's not because she would smile occasionally on the show and her smile was lovely).  Unless the agency has decided that her thing is just going to be an angry-looking model.   

Thanks, milkyaqua.

Seeing two photos of each girl really highlights their strengths and weaknesses. As C0mputerGeek said upthread, Ray looks like a mall rat, not a model. Afiya looks both uninterested and too serious. Tiana appears to be serious but still pretty and engaged.

However, after that one ghastly shot she took a few weeks ago, the one in which she appeared too ribby, I've been looking at Tiana's arms, and they are definitely thin. I don't see a problem with her elbows, however, and her collarbone is normal, so I'm sticking with my stance that she's a thin girl who took a single bad photo. I was pretty thin back in my 20s, and my ribs showed even though I was not underweight. It happens.

Anyway, Afiya has beautifully toned arms, which I had not noticed before. Just gorgeous. It would be great if that were to help her as a model.

I thought (correctly) that if Naomi's ego didn't get in the way and have her play hardball with the judging, that a Tiana win was inevitable.  As I said elsewhere, she's the only one who projected a "model energy" pretty much constantly--unconsciously even.  Her posture, for example, just screams it, as does her eye contact. Barring actual serious skin problems her handlers can't take care of, at 20 years old (and she does have a few years of modeling under her belt already, doesn't she?) she's got a few years left for decent success, even on a typical non-supermodel's schedule of having that career close up by their mid-twenties.

That said, Ray really grew on me.  She's got the right personality for a more conventional acting/media career rather than runway modeling.  If Analeigh Tipton can do it, I suppose Ray can. Yeah, I admit there was a Mall Rat thing going there, but that could work for the right acting roles (and half of that was the makeup and hair decisions made for her).

Not sure why I could never warm to Afiya, even a little. It was some kind of combination of feeling she was insincere, and also way too hard looking.

Like the US version, both the UK and Australian version of this show have been cancelled according to news sources.

Hmm.  It wasn't really good enough for that to be a shame.