Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Exodus

• Start Topic

What's with the two minute

Exit interviews?  I keep saying this but that's all they had to say??  Editing?? Stuff they don't want us to hear

so glad there's a reunion next week. Tami and Barbra still going off on Maryum

dont know why but I got a soft spot for Tami this episode

once again Zac is hot

• Love 6

Even tho I LOVE jail/prison reality shows ( lockup!), I lost interest in this show along the way and removed it from my DVR lineup.  I caught a bit of tonites episode as the " inmates " headed home and the scenes for next weeks Reunion & group interviews. THE REUNION EPISODE LOOKS FANTASTIC !! DVR SET !!! I'm there !!!!!!! Clash of the crazies !!!!

• Love 9
(edited)

Holy crap Maryum drives me crazy. With the over the top dramatics and the stupid facial expressions, I find her really unlikeable.  She was acting like she had been inside for ten damn years when in reality she could have left any time she wanted. 

I'm sorry if this is mean, but the fresh fruit and exercise she said she missed so much don't look like they are a very big part of her life thus far. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I'm sorry if this is mean, but the fresh fruit and exercise she said she missed so much don't look like they are a very big part of her life thus far. 

How dare you question Mohammed Ali's daughter about diet and fitness? I'm sure that she'll say a prayer for you now that she can pray properly. It would've been horrible if any of those prisoners found out who her father was!

I was amazed that the one lady at the end who was sad to see Tami leave. Between her attitude and everyone thinking she was a mole, I didn't think anyone other than Barbra cared about her.

Next week looks like it'll be fun.  I'm glad that Isaiah had decided to improve his life.  He went through Scared Straight extreme edition.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Aaannnndd yet another fight behind the curtain. Uh huh.

Yes, which begs this question:  Have the CO's of this dump had any training at all?  I've never worked in law enforcement, but even I know that you should send more than one CO into a pod that has 30-40 men in it!  Damn, the rednecks running that joint are complete morons!

• Love 3

they didn't learn much from Maryum...she was a dud

Well, sure. Because Zac totally cracked the drug pushing and knew exactly who had the shank and Tami got all the drugs shut down. Except no, that didn't happen at all. Zac talked a good game but mostly hung out after all is said and done and Tami had an on camera breakdown that I am sure will embarrass her for years to come. Maryum had her own, boring agenda of seeing what her social work clients went thru in jail and never once mentioned Sheriff Idiot's agenda. Likewise Isaiah who never once mentioned the goal of finding out who is bringing in the drugs - he was clearly there for his own personal Scared Straight session. Robert also clearly had his own agenda and Jeff quit when it became clear that no one in charge in the jail gave two shits if he lived or died. I'm especially annoyed that Jeff is set up for a bullying moment from Zac in the previews where Zac, wise inmate he is, merrily shits on Jeff's dream of becoming a corrections officer. (which looking at the ones in that jail, it doesn't seem like a terribly choosy force). I'm sure there will be no corresponding "Hey., DEA folks, what do you think of Zac actually making it in the DEA?" - because I think his performance isn't going to lift him above other applicants.

Boring and anticlimactic.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, placate said:

I was amazed that the one lady at the end who was sad to see Tami leave. Between her attitude and everyone thinking she was a mole, I didn't think anyone other than Barbra cared about her.

She strikes me as someone that'll turn on the waterworks no matter who it is who left.  I thought it was funny when she said about Tami "“whether it was something bad because you were thinking wrong…” I know what she was trying to say but from what we saw of Tami I just don’t see her being this helpful person but rather just being like “no.  You’re wrong”.

A couple other random thoughts:

• I knew they were exaggerating that fight in the previews.  Turns out the guard was perfectly fine! 
  • Deputy Dumbass “I don’t know how much longer Tami can take”.  Me “THEN LET HER OUT!”  They’re accomplishing NOTHING by making her stay in.
  • Maryum- whoa.  Too much makeup, girl!
  • Is that same guy always in that room yelling and banging on the door, or is there a different guy each time?

Overall, this program was stupid.  I don't think they accomplished anything and I seriously question the stated objectives.  I don't believe them at all.  It was just to get a TV show out of it, not actually fix anything. 

Can't wait for the reunion, though.  I'm sorry, but I totally agree with Zac.  Jeff should not be a corrections officer. 

• Love 11

I actually agree as well, that Jeff shouldn't be a corrections officer. I just don't think its necessary to play this passive aggressive game on tv of having the "cool kid" Zac pass judgement. Point - I don't think Zac would be a great DEA agent but I bet he gets nothing but praise for... serving a 60 day sentence.

• Love 4

I'll wait and see how the Zac/Jeff moment plays out.  Could be that it comes after a discussion in which Jeff proves to be just as delusional as Robert about his performance, in which case it's cruel to be kind.  What little I saw seemed like Zac was trying to find a way to get the point across to somebody who wasn't listening, not that it was his initial statement on the topic.  Jeff might be capable of yelling "Hey, stop!" at a fleeing shoplifter at his mall before calling the local authorities, but I think the teens in the food court probably aren't factoring him in as much of a deterrent to anything they might get up to, let alone the actual criminal element.   Seriously -- I'd pick Barbra as my backup before I'd count on Jeff (and so too would most of those COs, I'm thinking).

I am uneasy about the women going at each other.  It could have been an interesting look at first impressions and how behaviors that have nothing to do with being a criminal are twisted when somebody is told you're a criminal.  Obviously race factors into that too, but they probably won't go there, sticking to the "short bus" fight.

Loved Zac saying that it wasn't worth his breath to comment on Robert.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Tami had an on camera breakdown that I am sure will embarrass her for years to come.

And excuse me, but what in the fresh Hell was she drinking that moved her to tears and the vapors?? Because I need some of that in my life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I always find it so jarring to see people in makeup after we've seen them beautiful and bare-faced for so long. Same thing happens on the Survivor reunion.

Next week looks really good. This week -  meh. I enjoyed Zac's interview and Tami's interview. They seemed to take them a bit more seriously and treat them with more respect than they did with the other participants. Hopefully they'll beef up their training so the co's can be more effective at their job.

• Love 7

As irritating a person as I find Barbra, its actually pretty irritating that she is getting dismissed by SHeriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass when she actually took the job seriously and provided them some real feedback AND didn't have constant meltdowns AND didn't manage to strongly hint to others that something was DIFFERENT and she would be SEEN DIFFERENTLY by inmates and COs alike in a few months. But who is the hero? Tami who found the drug smuggling because she was loudly told by an inmate how the illicit stuff was coming in...

• Love 13

Sounds like the trays have a big void underneath them.  If it never occurred to them that contraband could be transmitted that way, that's really something.  Gee, what goes in and out of the pod 3x/day with a great big easy access hiding place? Hmmm, you've got me, Sarge.

My sister works in a detox and every time they do a room search, they take apart the light fixtures.  I have to assume that's part of the routine here, as well -- and that the guards simply were not doing it.  

They seemed to celebrate finding that one shiv, but Zac said there were several.  So others remain.  Stop high fiving and find them!

• Love 7
(edited)

Overall, I really liked the show.

I did think the premise was flawed from the start because things were so bad that the CO's wanted intel on what went on, but it didn't seem to dawn on them (at least from what we saw) that problems could also stem from people who worked at the jail, & not just other inmates.  So, they expected 6 civilians (I'm excluding Tami because at least she had been a cop) to keep their eyes open & snitch, when there are people in jail with power (and guns) who potentially could have been involved in stuff?  That just seemed really irresponsible to me.

Robert was obviously not taking this seriously during the training phase, so why didn't they just bounce him then?  Also, it made no sense to me why they were so bent out of shape when he quit.  He seemed way more of a headache in the program, so I would have thought they would have been relieved to see him go.

It seemed to me that a lot of the stuff the stuff that the participants mentioned for improvements during the show & during the exit interviews, was common sense.  There were a lot of times I found myself thinking, "The CO's needed someone to tell them that?"

I got a weird vibe during the exit interviews that the CO's didn't care that much about the feedback they got.

I give everybody a pass on how they reacted to leaving jail because something that monotonous, depressing, and boring, probably did feel like 60 years.

Next season, I think they should cast former police.  Is it at a different jail?

Edited by Bigwheels1971
I forgot something I wanted to say
  • Love 6
(edited)

Maybe something a little larger than a business card would be a better option for taking notes, Sheriif Whatsyourname. I guess he had really high expectations that not much improvement was going to be recommended by the participants.

What was the deal with the sugar packets vs sugar cubes?

Maryum hasn't prayed in two months? Isn't that something you could do silently, anywhere anytime?

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6

The editing is so messed up. This show was a hot mess.All of the loyalty speeches happening in the various pods is syndrome talk. I really wanted so much more from this show.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bigwheels1971 said:

Next season, I think they should cast former police.  Is it at a different jail?

Same jail. The producers thought the early footage from this season was so good they convinced the sheriff to send in another group of people right after the first group left. There could even be some overlap, I guess. It would be funny if the fake inmates out-numbered the real ones!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Maryum hasn't prayed in two months? Isn't that something you could do silently, anywhere anytime?

IIRC, she said she said she hadn't "prayed properly" in two months, meaning no rolling out the prayer rug, facing Mecca, praying at the prescribed times, etc. I think she was scared people would immediately deduce "African-American woman + Muslim = Muhammad Ali's daughter. " Because there are no other African-American women who are Muslim.

• Love 10
(edited)

Oh, gosh, I really enjoyed it.  The recapper certainly made thoughtful valid points about the rough edges and fuzzy objectives, but sometimes it's interesting to see a new reality show concept before it gets all slicked up.  Amazing when the first Survivor batch was reduced to roasting rats because they were famished.  Hello "survival."

I thought it was a decent mix of inmate subjects--the tough cop, the goody two-shoes, the blowhard, the wuss, the naïf, the marine and, umm, Maryum.  The people who need better casting are on the law enforcement side--those two low-affect dudes were a serious drawback.  (LOL at "taking notes on a business card."  And that one pointy toothbrush was obviously NOT the entire weapons arsenal Zac reported was being accrued.)

I'm still a big Tami fan and think she might net out the most change from the whole thing.  I don't see her sending her next jaywalker to The Big House, which she probably relished before.  Plus that was some fucked up police brutality, squeezing the very last minute of incarceration desperation out of her.

For Maryum, I thought it would do her good not being "Muhammad Ali's Daughter" for awhile.  I get the feeling that's her most basic self-identity and she's probably always mentioned it within minutes when she's introduced herself to anyone.  (I'll take further thoughts to her thread.)

That whole issue with the missing lunch tray was a horrifying example of how everything just gets so skewed in an environment like that.  Which made me extremely disappointed to see the three women pick up where they left off, in the reunion preview.  I wanted them to meet each other and agree:  "Man, that was some kinda crazy in there, wasn't it?"

I need to go now and scribble a greeting card to the person I know in prison.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5
(edited)

Zac was the only one who went straight into a meeting with the Sheriff when he was released. Everyone else got a night to decompress and shower and eat, organize their thoughts, etc. He seems to be the least affected by all of this. The entire time he just seemed bored to me.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 3
(edited)

I suspect that was due to Zac insisting more than anything else. He wanted to tell Sheriff Idiot about how there were shanks!

I know Zac is being painted as  the hero here but much like Tami "discovering" the tray smuggling, Zac knows there are shanks because well, its a fucking jail.

I mean really, what next, "discovering" preschoolers in a daycare?

Edited by ZoloftBlob
felt the need for more sarcasm ;)
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Our local news here in Louisville just interviewed Sheriff Noel.  According to him they've fired five of the corrections officers and another four resigned  following the program.  They also started a Narcotics Anonymous group which he says was a major oversight considering 80% of their population is there for drug related offenses.  He speculated that we shouldn't be surprised if a participant's spouse ends up on the second season.  I'm guessing Tami or Zach's wife. 

• Love 8
On 5/20/2016 at 6:42 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

Zac has done his best with the hand he was dealt. He was getting somewhere in C pod and then got moved to D pod where he had to start all over. I think Zac would have made more headway had he been allowed to stay. Who cares if Robert shows up? It's not like Zac would have blown his cover. Anyone can see Robert is looney and even if he said he knew Zac it'd be easy enough to brush him off. 

Plus they didn't split up Tami and Barbra when they found each other out. And even though they implied there was only one women's pod, the suicide attempt showed that was not so. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Not sure what headway Zac was supposed to make? He was there to assess the living conditions and the treatment by the officers. His little mission to tattle on everyone was his own thing. I hope this was all fake so he doesn't get himself hurt. True agents are undercover, not ratting people out on TV reality shows.

Edited by Chewy101
(edited)

I get annoyed when WOC are accused of being "smug."  No, Maryum is educated and doesn't feel that she has to dumb herself down for the likes of Barbra (guess her parents didn't know how to spell it) and Tami.  I am around a lot of educated WOC and some might think they're "smug" whatever that means, but they just like who they are and don't have to twist themselves into a pretzel to be liked.  Maryum said something about Barbra "taking off that white sheet" or something; that's exactly the vibe she gave me, a privileged white woman who thinks that just because she's white she's better than any WOC.  

Interesting that Barbra had no issue with Isaiah; not interesting really because I've seen many white women who have no issue with black men, but can't deal with black women.

Barbra reminds me of some white women I have met who have a need to feel superior to POC.  Isaiah seemed sweet, but he's just a kid, that's probably why Barbra liked him, because he makes her feel smart.  I saw a commercial for the "Roots" reboot and in it a white man says to a black man, "You will never be my equal."  And the black man says, "I don't want to be your equal," and you know he's thinking, "because that would make me a douchebag like you."  Well, that's what I sensed from Barbra, she detested Maryum because how dare she, a WOC even think that she's on equal footing with the likes of her!

In the movie "Dear White People" there's a reality show film crew that wants to film the college; they kept getting brushed off until the end, until the dean was told how much money would come the school's way.  I think that's what happened here.  A reality show producer had an idea for a show, money was mentioned and boom, here's the show.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7

I started out a Tami fan but ended up a Maryum fan. Maryum didn't cause much drama, which the producers may not have liked, since it meant they had to play up what little they could. There were several scenes of Maryum helping other inmates, and she seemed able to stay calm and think like a social worker, showing compassion and staying grateful for her lot in life. Unlike many others, including Tami, who went into victim mode and were looking out for themselves more than for the actual inmates. 

The "little yellow bus" comment was a poor choice, but I think she acknowledged that, whereas the others weren't willing to listen to what she was trying to do with the comment (diffuse the situation and get people off the back of the woman in question). 

And I may be alone in this, but I understand her caution about being recognized. I mean, her father's face was on the TV in her pod, and the news story was specifically about him being Muslim. Plus I think she looks a lot like her father. 

I thought her feedback was high quality as well -- "you should start a drug rehab program" is more long-lasting and actionable advice than "there are drugs in there." I'm sorry to see the two other women are still angry with her in the final episode.

I'd watch another season, but I sure wish it was located somewhere else. I don't buy for a second that the Sheriff was doing this to get info. I'm sure they were compensated for hosting the reality show, and it felt like he brushed off almost all the constructive feedback he got, and then couldn't stop patting himself on the back after finding one scary toothbrush.

• Love 9
On May 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Chewy101 said:

Exactly. I'm not sure why there were such big reveals about such obvious things. 

I also think Zac is a sitting duck now for being a rat. 

Yeah, I'm seriously scared for him and his family. I wish they hadn't shown them on camera.

On 5/21/2016 at 5:29 PM, aleshel said:

They also started a Narcotics Anonymous group which he says was a major oversight considering 80% of their population is there for drug related offenses. 

According to this article that was based off of Maryum's feedback.  

“Maryum had some of the most valuable information for the sheriff,” Henry said. “She said, ‘You’ve got Alcoholics Anonymous but 85% of those girls are users and all they are doing in your jail is detoxing — there are no programs tailored specifically to addicts of narcotics, so you need NA there.’”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/burning-questions-about-60-days-in-answered

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, Goatherd said:

I thought her feedback was high quality as well -- "you should start a drug rehab program" is more long-lasting and actionable advice than "there are drugs in there." I'm sorry to see the two other women are still angry with her in the final episode.

I'm sorry they are too, but then again they are Tami and Barbra so, there is that. 

As for them fighting behind the curtain; that's where the bathroom was and they weren't allowed to have a camera in the bathrooms.  The ones they had inside the pod was up near the ceiling.  The inmates knew that, so if they wanted to do something, they'd go to the bathroom. 

Edited by Neurochick

They could make the bathroom off limits to more than one person at a time, if that's the case.  In fact, I bet that's already a rule, because nothing good is going to come of more than one person in a time in there.  (I assume it's a toilet area, not a shower area?)

I don't blame the guys for not taking copious notes.  It's all on film,  They will get far more exhaustive data from footage we've never seen, plus Barbra thoughtfully wrote out her manifesto.

Drug education classes could be helpful.  Those who are hooked are going through withdrawal anyway, which can't be fun to be around.  Vivitrol is a drug that is sometimes offered here in area jails/prisons to inmates who got clean (involuntarily) by being incarcerated -- it essentially turns off the body's reactions to opiates.  So you can shoot heroin, but it's going to do absolutely NOTHING for you.  There will be no high.  So there's no high to chase, so long as the drug is in your system.  It lasts a few weeks, so it demands compliance in showing up for regular injections, but for those who are motivated, getting the shot upon exiting incarceration can help a lot in the initial steps of pulling their lives together.  (The downside of the drug is that if you are severely injured, opiates are not going to help you out)

Since many of these inmates are being held long-term, that seems like a program that could really benefit the community, even if it only helps a handful of people, especially if it includes hooking them up with aftercare to get continued treatment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know a lot of people don't like Barbara but she reminds me of a lot of people I know.  She is well meaning and well intentioned and at least took the project seriously.  She had good ideas even if some of them weren't completely practical. 

alAs for the reaction to Tami's departure.  I actually found that interesting as well.  There were a few times in my life I didn't think people liked me but when I left the reaction to me leaving confounded me.  People make not have "like Tami" but in the end they might have respected her.  

• Love 3

I always find it so jarring to see people in makeup after we've seen them beautiful and bare-faced for so long. Same thing happens on the Survivor reunion.

Next week looks really good. This week -  meh. I enjoyed Zac's interview and Tami's interview. They seemed to take them a bit more seriously and treat them with more respect than they did with the other participants. Hopefully they'll beef up their training so the co's can be more effective at their job.

They've already fired 5 C.O. and have had 4 resign since taping ended. I think the jail has taken the program seriously with many more changes to come.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I see comments calling Zac hot, and I just don't see it.  The persona he's shown has no affect.  It brings to mind a serial killer.  I'm assuming his real personality is different, and he does seem to be a loving husband and father.  It bothered me that he described his wife as having a "checkered past", which has a negative connotation and usually used to describe someone in a bad way, versus something they've overcome.  It sounded judgmental, and I hope he doesn't hold it over her head.

Considering the field Zac wants to work in, I do question his willingness to not only show everyone in jail the picture of his wife and kid, but to allow them to be shown on TV.  It just takes one nut with a grudge to come after you and your family.

Since the second season is filming now, I think we can expect a third season (if it happens) to be filled 100% with want to be actors and fame whores like Robert.  The early years are always the best in reality shows.

• Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, TipseyGirl said:

And excuse me, but what in the fresh Hell was she drinking that moved her to tears and the vapors?? Because I need some of that in my life.

Wasn't it beer?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Prayer in Islam is a little complicated. http://www.wikihow.com/Pray-in-Islam

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, Neurochick said:

I get annoyed when WOC are accused of being "smug."  No, Maryum is educated and doesn't feel that she has to dumb herself down for the likes of Barbra (guess her parents didn't know how to spell it) and Tami.

Or her parents named her after Barbra Streisand.

• Love 2

I enjoyed Zac's interview and Tami's interview. They seemed to take them a bit more seriously and treat them with more respect than they did with the other participants.

I actually found that indicative of Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass's personal prejudices. Zac is an ex-marine, and openly expressed his interest in becoming a police officer of some sort and Tami IS (sorta) a police officer (I say sorta because there seems to be some suggestion she wasn't a cop for very long and or is more of a security guard sort)

Jeff, a security guard, quit after being punched and finding out no one gave two shits about his safety as long as it made good tv. Therefore Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass dismiss him as a pussy crybaby bitch and pointedly treat him like a piece of trash, complete with demanding he admit he did not want to be a criminal in mjail. Isiah? He's black and immature so of course he's dismissed as though he was actually there for some sort of Scared Straight intervention - there's actually no factual evidence that Isaiah was somehow a juvenile delingquent barely on the edge of being arrested himself but he's black so...

Barbra is the dippy housewife who made good. Maryum and Barbra both had some good insights into the jail's problems and didn't pointedly fall apart (Barbra had a moment or two but it seemed reasonable, while Maryum seemed fine) Tami had a pretty constant nervous breakdown but she's a cop so we're not gonna ask her if she's learned how shitty it is to be a criminal and does she ever want to risk jail?? Likewise Zac who went full on inmate and who learned that incredible piece of intelligence that there are shanks in jail is the hero because he's a man like Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass.

I don't mention Robert because Robert's prescence past being sent to solitary was nothing but Robert getting his wish to get attention and it stopped being entertaining when it became patently ridiculous that they were just milking it for drama.

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:17 PM, Goatherd said:

The "little yellow bus" comment was a poor choice, but I think she acknowledged that, whereas the others weren't willing to listen to what she was trying to do with the comment (diffuse the situation and get people off the back of the woman in question). 

Maybe "little yellow bus" or "short bus" is a common modern term, but I know I had to look it up. I don't understand the flack Maryum got for saying it (mostly to herself, although obviously others heard it). It's a jail.  I'm more surprised someone didn't yell out "The bitch is a fucking r*****, you bitches!"

• Love 4
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Maybe "little yellow bus" or "short bus" is a common modern term, but I know I had to look it up. I don't understand the flack Maryum got for saying it (mostly to herself, although obviously others heard it). It's a jail.  I'm more surprised someone didn't yell out "The bitch is a fucking r*****, you bitches!"

I feel like Maryum was definitely trying to be heard when she said it, and she was trying to say something that would not agitate the one she was talking about, but still get her point across..

And I agree that it's crazy anyone cared that much. I go into women's maximum security prison every week to do some work, and it makes jail in that pod look like summer camp. Those girls were all so childish and whiny. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7