Type keyword(s) to search

Babylon 5 - General Discussion

JES004
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The studio forced the character on the show. 

Yeah and it kinda shows, 

Matters of Honour

Kosh is actually quite forthcoming in his opening conversation with Sheridan, more than I think we've ever seen him before. Also I loved the new titles, so powerful and dramatic and we have Zack as a main character, a role created because Jeff Conway visited the set one day and they invited him to film a cameo. On the negative side we have Marcus who I just cannot STAND! I actually think I may prefer Byron to him. Londo tries to cut his ties with Morden, realising he's got in way over his head. I like the agent, he's a sharp cookie and not portrayed as a villain, there are layers within the Earth government, it's not one big conspiracy. Our first White Star and the war council, we now have all the elements in place, Sheridan once more proves his prowess as a tactical leader. Interesting that G'kar says the Shadows were on Narn before but left the Narns alone, they had no interest in a race which had not yet developed space travel but no particular malice towards them either. 

7/10 

Convictions

It's an obvious gag but I always love the 'missionary position' line (although I always thought it was Ivanova who made that joke?). The lurkers dismiss the junk they find as 'chopping wood', you'd think that wood of any kind would be extremely valuable on a space station? Love the way G'kar automatically blames the Centuri for the bombings whilst Londo does the same to the Narns (both of which actually make sense in their own way). Lennier once again proves that the whole idea that Minbari don't lie is a flexible notion. The whole mad bomber storyline is quite uninvolving, this was the 90s so crazy people railing against the evils of society was pretty common (and we'll see a little more of that in the next ep too). What really stands out about this episode and so many other are the scenes between Londo and G'kar which are epic, it's Londo's look of delight and G'kar's of disappointment when they get rescued.

7/10

A Day in the Strife

An interesting episode, the arrival of the replacement Narn ambassador is a great storyline, a being who is representing a collaborationist regime but not a bad person in himself, he is doing what is right in a crushed and conquered Narn where resistance is impossible. Also the opening about gun control, relevant in the 90s with Waco etc but still relevant today. If at any time Londo is truly sadistic then it is here when he talks to the new ambassador, Vir is appalled and so are we. Londo knows this and that is why he sends Vir to Minbar, because he is ashamed for Vir to see him as he must be their parting scene is lovely. I have to say I didn't recognise the bodyguard but it's a nice touch (although Sheridan won't live to see 150). The probe rather reminds me of a jellyfish, it doesn't make any sense and if they can tow it clear why not do that in the first place.  

7/10

Passing Through Gesthemane

Yay, Lyta is back and will play a much larger role in the series from now on. She also demonstrates her more ruthless side by doing the illicit scan (Garabaldi putting the sack over the Centuri telepath's head is particularly nasty). Oddly enough here we have a serial killer called Dexter, years before the Michael Hall series. It's an interesting concept, if we could wipe criminal's minds and have them start again as a blank state would that be a better punishment than the death penalty? And would that be enough for the family and loved ones of their victims? Killing their conscious but not their physical self? Ivanova seems to get on pretty well with Lyta, she shows none of the skittishness she exhibited around Talia before they got to the kissy kissy stage. We learn that Lyta can physically 'carry' Kosh as part of her consciousness and Steven's examination of her hints at other degrees of Vorlorn bio-engineering.  

7/10

1 hour ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Ivanova seems to get on pretty well with Lyta, she shows none of the skittishness she exhibited around Talia before they got to the kissy kissy stage

That's because Lyta's not part of Psi-Corps anymore.  It was never the telepathy that bothered her, like it did Garibaldi.  It was the Corps.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:23 PM, SVNBob said:

That's because Lyta's not part of Psi-Corps anymore.  It was never the telepathy that bothered her, like it did Garibaldi.  It was the Corps.

You're probably right, Lyta is now the anti-Talia.

Voices of Authority

Interesting Gkar has discovered the Rangers (no ice hockey team joke?). I think the highlights of this episode are (naked Shari Shattuck aside) Garabaldi's conversations with both Gkar and Zack which are high quality stuff. We have the creeping loss of freedom with the ever so 1984 sounding Ministry of Peace who have even rewritten the dictionary in true Syme style. Some nice stuff with Draal whom I'm always worried will be forgotten about and I do like Ivanova's pursuit of the 'electric jellyfish' which must have just been a dream come true for the special effects department. On the bad side, we have Marcus whom I will never come to terms with although his bucket joke is probably his best moment ever. Is this the first time we learn Zac is a sergeant? His dilemma here is excellently handled.

Enjoyed it more than I remembered. 7/10 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, Joe Hellandback said:

Oddly enough here we have a serial killer called Dexter, years before the Michael Hall series. It's an interesting concept, if we could wipe criminal's minds and have them start again as a blank state would that be a better punishment than the death penalty? And would that be enough for the family and loved ones of their victims?

I'd never noticed he was called Dexter (though I probably hadn't seen or read Dexter when I watched B5)! I did think the victims' families were way over reacting in what they did - if "death of the personality" isn't enough, then kill the guy (and take the consequences), it seems odd that they would go as far as to resurrect the old personality just to kill him. But maybe I'd feel differently if somebody I cared about had been murdered.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, Joe Hellandback said:

Interesting G'kar has discovered the Rangers (no ice hockey team joke?).

My mind would go to Lord of the Rings rather than ice hockey (probably intentional as there are several LotR references in B5).

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

On the negative side we have Marcus who I just cannot STAND!

Aww, I like Marcus! When my friends were discussing "If you were a character in B5, who would you be?" I got to be Marcus (primarily because of the beard - see my Avatar - but there are other reasons).

I thought Marcus was fine. He got in some good one liners and I believed him as a Ranger. He could actually fight.

I didn't like him pining for Ivanova. He could have just asked her out. 

Marcus' best line - Did we just win?

Ivanova - Shhhhhh! Don't jinx it!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, John Potts said:

I'd never noticed he was called Dexter (though I probably hadn't seen or read Dexter when I watched B5)! I did think the victims' families were way over reacting in what they did - if "death of the personality" isn't enough, then kill the guy (and take the consequences), it seems odd that they would go as far as to resurrect the old personality just to kill him. But maybe I'd feel differently if somebody I cared about had been murdered.

My mind would go to Lord of the Rings rather than ice hockey (probably intentional as there are several LotR references in B5).

Aww, I like Marcus! When my friends were discussing "If you were a character in B5, who would you be?" I got to be Marcus (primarily because of the beard - see my Avatar - but there are other reasons).

Sure it's just not because you have a thing for Ivanova? I hate him so much I remember I was glad she was gone for Day of the Dead so we wouldn't have to see him again (and I loved Captain Lochley's encounter)

14 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought Marcus was fine. He got in some good one liners and I believed him as a Ranger. He could actually fight.

I didn't like him pining for Ivanova. He could have just asked her out. 

Marcus' best line - Did we just win?

Ivanova - Shhhhhh! Don't jinx it!

Isn't that more Ivanova's line? And she had some great ones. 

Dust to Dust

Ivanova's moment of temptation is gripping stuff, shows how deeply she feels. But given his inference about Talia you think Bester deserved it. The strongest scenes however are Londo/Vir (the subtle ways he rewrites Vir's report into diplomatic terms more acceptable to the Centari government's viewpoint, completely changing its' nuance) and of course Londo/Gkar, any ep with scenes of them together make it an instant hit..    

I read that they cut this line from Bester which is a shame;

Bester (surveying the Minbari telepaths); "Interesting, I've never had much contact with alien telepaths before. It's like hearing the same song in a different language, unintelligible yet somehow familiar"

(the Minbari smile)

Personally I was disappointed this was all a Psi-corps conspiracy, it would have been better if Bester was with the good guys for once. I would have liked a scene where he stares at the man he just shot and when Garabaldi asks him what's wrong he confesses he'd never killed a man before. 

8/10

Exogenesis

An interesting little ep, Aubrey Morris who died recently giving a fine performance (always liked him in Lifeforce), we think it's going to go one way but then it turns to another, interesting to see that their are races who are even older than the Shadows/Vorlorns (First Ones?) and will continue long after they are gone.  

Messages from Earth

So things are finally coming to a head, the conspiracy on Earth is now moving into the open and martial law has been declared. Meanwhile we have an epic battle with the White Star showing its' mettle and Sheridan once again demonstrating his gift for innovative battle tactics. Of course we also see that there are facets amongst the bad guys, they want to exploit the Shadow technology not just ally themselves with them. On the downside, MARCUS! 

Point of No Return

Well, everything is out in the open now, the coup d'état takes place and you really can't blame people for knowing whose side to take. I think it's a shame that they don't make the Nightwatch more sympathetic, it's a failing of so much fiction that the villains are made blatantly unlikeable, I'd just love to see a show where the heroes were rather unlikeable types and the villains were the life of the party, bad people should always believe that they are in the right. Also some great stuff between Londo and Vir, their relationship always one of the high points of every episode, the little look they give one another in the final scene is priceless and the niceties of Centuri court always good. And we have G'kar finally demanding to get in on th act, about time too.

8/10  

13 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

I'd just love to see a show where the heroes were rather unlikeable types and the villains were the life of the party,

Oh I agree! The Harry Potter books especially were guilty of having the villains always be unlikeable. In sci fi, it seems the more human looking aliens are always good and the scary ones are bad. 

9 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

Oh I agree! The Harry Potter books especially were guilty of having the villains always be unlikeable. In sci fi, it seems the more human looking aliens are always good and the scary ones are bad. 

In fairness B5 does avoid that trap to a degree, the reptilian Narns very much start off as the villains of the piece and the very human Centuri are much more sympathetic but then it switches around.

Severed Dreams

Holy smoke! Stand by for epic space battles right up there with Star Wars and BSG! Basically a story where there is so much action happening that there isn't really much time for plot with the exception of Delenn's powerful scene with the Grey Council. Bruce McGill, one of those great character actors you see everywhere. It rather reminds me of American Civil War dramas, brother officers pitched against one another. I thought Ivanova's "I should be with the fighter squadrons" scene was a bit corny but when you think about it you would need her out there as otherwise the squadrons might not fire on their own ships so it makes sense (how do the Starfuries tell friend from foe?). It's actually a shame they didn't have Keffer around who would provide a familiar face who would go over to the President's side. Some nice comedy too with Londo and the Narn security guard and the scenes with ISN rather reminding you of the events in Russia and Hong Kong. 

10/10

Ceremonies of Light and Dark

Oh is this one terrible! It could have been great, it could have been an examination of divided loyalties and the characters discussing the nature of patriotism etc but the rebels are just so deliberately unlikeable you can't take it seriously, the leader has a physical deformity, his henchman is a sadistic torturer who turns out to be a coward in the end with Sheridan getting to save his love in a one on one fistfight like some corny comic book hero. How about these guys were both heroes of the Battle of the Line who had both suffered horrifically at the hands of the Minbari? If it has a couple of redeeming scene they are the rebirth ceremony (I didn't think we'd see Franklin this ep?), especially Ivanova's confession and Lenier putting Marcus in his place. Plus Londo and Lord Refa always good.

5/10

Sic Transit Vir

Comedy and horror in equal measure, the more Vir in an episode the better it is and he is magnificent here, a mini Oscar Schindler with the scariest fiancé you could ever imagine. A little ore shocking is Londo's attitude to this all, he seems very glib at the thought of 2000 dead Narns. One interesting point here is the Minister's advice to Vir, he always came across as such an ineffectual character but here he shows some sage wisdom. For comedy effect of course we have naked Ivanova in her dream and Sheridan doing a familiar dance with Delenn but just has to be called away to perform a heroic deed. Plus Zac on the bridge which as is pointed out is pretty rare.

8/10  

A Late Delivery from Avalon

B5 is a great place to see classic British character actors, David Warner, Ian Olgivy, Aubrey Morris and now Basil Exposition himself, Michael York (shame they couldn't have made a Logan's Run joke). Wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to have him join the Rangers than head to Narn where he'd stick out like a sore thumb? Even Marcus is bearable in this one, his theory about the Vorlorns not implausible. Nice twist with Delenn being the Lady of the Lake although they could have kept the surprise for a little longer. Gkar identifying with him is interesting, both legendary figures amongst their people leading them in a great struggle. Is Anna Sheridan Morganna? I actually rather love Garabaldi's battle with the post office, it's so true, governments rise and fall, regimes change but the post office is forever.

8/10 

Ship of Tears

A very important ep although it doesn't feel so at first. We have Bester now a possible ally and Gkar finally let in on things, about bloody time. We understand the importance of teleptaths and Garabaldi has finally finished the book of G'Quan. And we have the Shadows now moving openly, perhaps because of Bester's attack on the ship, they know that their enemies are on to them? What really sticks with you are the scenes between Gkar and Delenn, you can really see both sides of their viewpoints and how they both suffer at the truth. 2 things annoy me about this ep however, firstly that they just happen to pick the container of Bester's long lost love? Still, a great special effect. Secondly everyone is so excited that ISN is back and surprised that it's nothing but President Clark's propaganda? Really?

8/10 

Interlude and Examinations

A truly fantastic scene between Londo and Mr Morden, we see the magnificence of Londo's true character. We also see Kosh's true character in both the positive and negative sense, his brutal treatment of Sheridan contrasted with his noble self sacrifice, you wonder at what stage he truly made his decision to be the exceptional Vorlorn? His ship disappearing into the sun is spectacular and you wonder if it gave the BSG writers the idea? His manipulation of course continues right to the end with Sheridan's dream.  Steven finally comes to terms with his problem and the scene between Garabaldi and the other doctor is extremely good. Vir buying sex toys is also good comedy and Londo's grief is heartfelt. You do wonder however how readily he accepts Morden's reasons? Someone as savvy as Londo should surely have him top of the list of suspects?

9/10 

Morden really hasn't done anything but help Londo to this point, and it's more likely for Londo to think about long held rivalries first. 

The books later showed that Kosh was known to be fond of the humans (and I also think he had some foreknowledge from 'Valen') to make the decision. 

On 7/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Morden really hasn't done anything but help Londo to this point, and it's more likely for Londo to think about long held rivalries first. 

The books later showed that Kosh was known to be fond of the humans (and I also think he had some foreknowledge from 'Valen') to make the decision. 

Mmmmm but you wonder how he thought Reefa would act this way when he has a deadly hold over him? 

War Without End 1&2

I always thought it was really nice to see how they wrote Sinclair out of the story, especially given the circumstances of the actor leaving the show, bringing him back for 3 eps was a good thing. And this is a stellar ep, full of clever little details that only make sense when rewatching, like Sinclair wondering when the past Sinclair and Garabaldi would show up. Interesting too, I always thought Zathras died on B4 but actually he survives and accompanies Sinclair into the past. One little thing that disturbs me is the scene where Sinclair in his spacesuit tries to radio Garabaldi to warn him to watch his back, wouldn't that potentially alter the time stream if Garabaldi wasn't shot by his aide? Sheridan's scenes in the future have a huge impact, we know who will survive and who will die and the fate of characters stretching far beyond the limit of the series and gives a happy(ish) ending to the Drakh storyline. Plus we have the end of Gkar and Londo, dying with their hands around one another's throats as we always thought they would but utterly different to how we thought it would come about

10/10 brilliant!

Walkabout

Yay, Lyta is back but actually listed below Erica Gimpel, the guest star (literally of Fame). She's great here, clearly terrified of the 'new' Kosh and wonderful in the battle scenes too, the first time we see the Shadows not only defeated by a non Vorlon enemy but cut and run. I do think however they could have played out the "who's got a Vorlorn inside them" storyline a little longer. We also see Lennier and Sheridan pretty darn chummy aboard the Whitestar, obviously jealousy hasn't raised its' ugly head just yet. Gkar's scenes with Ethan Rayne are good too, you can see both sides of the argument as you can see Garabaldi's anger, one of the best things about B5 as a series is just that, his scene with Londo is impressive too. Franklin's walkabout by contrast isn't that involving although it's a nice mislead, we think his new girlfriend is simply a junkie taking advantage of him but in reality she's dying and he has to accept that he can't save everyone.

9/10  

On 8/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Ivanova's complete incredulity over finding out who stole B4 is absolutely hilarious. The way she busted out "US?!" kills me. 

Yeah, Claudia really does the deadpan humour very well. 

Grey 17 Is Missing

Was quite prepared to hate this ep, too much Marcus and the titular plot is incredibly stupid. But actually a great deal better than I remembered, even the little comic teaser with Zac recruiting telepaths and Ivanova's scenes with a cold turkey Stephen. Garabaldi's family pistol reminds you of the old Chekov adage of the pistol having to be used by the third act although actually it subverts the convention slightly (love to see Mythbusters test that to see if it works). Equally Delenn's family story seems to substantiate the concept that all American drama is really about the character's relationship with their father (which is normally Sheridan's deal). What makes this so much better is Lennier, his adroit political machinations (essentially prepared to sacrifice Marcus for the greater good) are excellent and the highlight of this ep. One little note, we have Sinclair's family referred to for the first time, what exactly do they tell them happened to him?

7/10  

And the Rock Cried Out

The central plot with the churchmen is not that involving although it is a truism of resistance work, there probably hasn't been an  organisation in history that doesn't exploit religion for its' own ends. What really strikes you here are the machinations of Londo, so many times he comes across as this jovial uncle but the sinister side to him is always there, bubbling a little below the surface. You know that his plot can't be as simple as it appears but you're not quite sure what he's up to. You also feel so sorry for poor Vir and it's a bit of a revelation that Londo himself comes to rescue him. Gkar's time on Narn is also pretty chilling, the fallout from the Centuri attack taking years to disperse.  Apart from that the revelation of the White Star fleet is good as is Sheridan's unexpected reaction to the reverend's advice. 

7/10

Shadow Dancing

Very good ep, we have a terrific and realistic space battle with Ivanova realising that the Shadow scout ship is their opposite number and what that signifies. I have to say that I was completely fooled as to who was on the Shadow ship, my guess was going to be Mr Morden or perhaps even Keffer? As to the snowglobe someone is obviously a fan of Citizen Kane. Stephen's resolution is a big trite but I'll buy it. One thing, considering how important Sheridan and Delenn are to the resistance effort shouldn't they have some bodyguards? Or can the Commander's long lost wife who disappeared on the Shadow's home planet just walk in? Doesn't he even lock his door?

8/10

Z'ha'dum

Oh yeah, this is it, this is the business, I think possibly the best ever episode of this superb series. What's more it's incredibly brave to finish the season on such an almighty cliffhanger (or cliff-jumper?). You so feel for Ivanova when she learns that not only has she lost Sheridan but also Garabaldi, she must be so glad that Stephen has come back! I find myself wondering how much of the real Anna is left, her expression of grief when she sees him jump is so real, her expression of terror when the White Star impacts is heartfelt too (even after all these years I still find myself shouting "Take THAT ya bastards!" every single time). When Justin tells her the truth she seems genuinely shocked. So now we know, the man in between explains the plot and it's interesting, we always assumed the Shadows were the villains and the Vorlorns the good guys but maybe not? Ivanova tries to call Draal for help but surely he must be aware of what is happening on his doorstep? From the Shadow's jamming if nothing else? You do have to remember however that Sheridan has the advantage of knowing the future due to the events on Babylon 4, he knows he will survive and that they will win the Shadow war. He says he's doing it to avoid the fall of Centuri Prime but wouldn't it have made more sense NOT to go if that was the case? Also, balance the fate of Centuri Prime against everyone else?   

10/10

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

You do have to remember however that Sheridan has the advantage of knowing the future due to the events on Babylon 4, he knows he will survive and that they will win the Shadow war.

I'm not so sure he 'knows the future'. Kosh old him if he goes, then he'll die. So he may be thinking just it's what he has to do. Also, Kosh literally tells him to jump. I don't think he was thinking much past blowing up the planet and dying. 

On 8/12/2019 at 3:48 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not so sure he 'knows the future'. Kosh old him if he goes, then he'll die. So he may be thinking just it's what he has to do. Also, Kosh literally tells him to jump. I don't think he was thinking much past blowing up the planet and dying. 

Possibly, it's largely a question of how certain he can be, that this is one possible future?

The Hour of the Wolf

Cool new opening titles AND Lyta is now a regular, about time. Some truly great stuff here, Lyta and the new Kosh reminds me of her telling him he's a cruel lover or something. It's great that it's actually her that initiates the whole mission. Anyone else think Ivanova seems very well dressed for her drunken moping around? And here we have Lorien, redefining the term enigmatic for a generation. I have to say I really love the scenes between Londo and the oddly likeable Morden who now seems half mad as well as cunning. Of course he's in fine company at the Centuri court with Cartagia doing his best Caligua impression, even using Mussolini's catchphrase. Londo and Vir plotting together is great stuff and also a lovely scene between Zac and Gkar over Garabaldi, especially the Daffy gag. 

8/10

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just binge watching the series for the first time and got to "Divided Loyalties" late in season 2 and where Talia Winters' old personality "dies" and is taken over by the evil sleeper mole personality. Like a reverse "Total Recall". Looked it up to discover it's Andrea Thompson's last show. That's a shame The scenes with her and Susan are beyond subtext. They totally imply Susan and Talia had hooked up .

Other thoughts: I like Delenn's new bangs,

ETA; Continuing binge. Jack the Ripper?!!

giphy.gif

Edited by VCRTracking

Just something that crossed my mind recently. In-universe, why do Human ships not have artifical gravity? Out of universe, you want all the various species to have their own distinct look. But in-universe, why didn't some entrepreneurial Centauri sell Humans AG?

On 8/23/2019 at 6:03 AM, Anduin said:

Just something that crossed my mind recently. In-universe, why do Human ships not have artifical gravity? Out of universe, you want all the various species to have their own distinct look. But in-universe, why didn't some entrepreneurial Centauri sell Humans AG?

The Earth ships (and Babylon 5) DO have artificial gravity. In-universe, they use spinning sections to create centrifugal (or centripetal) force that tends to force objects away from the center. In order to make the White Star fleet look cooler, JMS kind of hand-waived that the Minbari had some secret technology that could create a gravitational "field" without the need for a big spinning tube in the middle.

Considering that the Minbari are kind of xenophbic, it is unlikely the few that have the technology would try to sell it. I also don't think the Centauri have anything superior to the spinning section technology.

37 minutes ago, ketose said:

The Earth ships (and Babylon 5) DO have artificial gravity. In-universe, they use spinning sections to create centrifugal (or centripetal) force that tends to force objects away from the center. In order to make the White Star fleet look cooler, JMS kind of hand-waived that the Minbari had some secret technology that could create a gravitational "field" without the need for a big spinning tube in the middle.

Considering that the Minbari are kind of xenophbic, it is unlikely the few that have the technology would try to sell it. I also don't think the Centauri have anything superior to the spinning section technology.

Wiki backs me up. Centauri have some kind of field gravity. It seems like the kind of thing that the Cenauri would sell to the Humans.

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Wiki backs me up. Centauri have some kind of field gravity. It seems like the kind of thing that the Cenauri would sell to the Humans.

The wiki doesn't really cite anything specifically about the Centauris use of gravimetrics. Mostly, I'm going by my (questionable) memory of Sheridan and Ivanova being surprised about the White Star having gravity. I would presume if it were on Centarui ships, it wouldn't be a big deal.

• Love 1

A couple of episodes into season 3 and this show is really amazing in its prescience and foreseeing the future! At first I wasn't sure about Marcus, but he's growing on me. Love that they subverted the "two characters who hate each other are trapped in an elevator/confined space" and work together with G'Kar and Mollari by instead having G'Kar refuse because he wanted to see Mollari die!

Damn, Julie Musante is like a FOX news blonde. She even looks like one of the real ones!

tumblr_ot2hwpr3I81qj6sk2o3_500.jpg

sandra-smith.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

(Continuing bingewatch)

Holy shit Bryan Cranston!

When Sheridan asks him if he's married I thought "Yes, to a woman named Lois and another named Skylar and both are going to be sooooo mad!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, VCRTracking said:

(Continuing bingewatch)

Holy shit Bryan Cranston!

When Sheridan asks him if he's married I thought "Yes, to a woman named Lois and another named Skylar and both are going to be sooooo mad!"

Yeah, he gets around in the pre-Malcom days, noticed him on an old ep of Airwolf the other day. 

On 8/26/2019 at 4:02 AM, ketose said:

The wiki doesn't really cite anything specifically about the Centauris use of gravimetrics. Mostly, I'm going by my (questionable) memory of Sheridan and Ivanova being surprised about the White Star having gravity. I would presume if it were on Centarui ships, it wouldn't be a big deal.

If I recall it's one of the things Sheridan uses to placate Earth, that the Centuri will give them artificial gravity. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think they called artificial gravity, inertial dampeners. 

Though I am surprised that the Centauri didn't sell it, but they makes me think it is export controlled. 

But you'd have thought they might have captured some ships?

On 8/25/2019 at 11:27 PM, Anduin said:

Pride, that they have to have something over the humans?

Whatever happened to Mr Garabaldi? 

A couple of truly great character scenes, Londo and G'kar wonderful as ever but I can even stand Marcus with G'kar this ep. No Ivanova at all and Delenn seems to have totally lost it, even all these Rangers who have pledged to die for the 'One' seem to think her plan is collective suicide. Londo's inventive crawling in front of the emperor is inspired and truly love G'kar's reply to Cartagia, it was the last thing you expected. Both Franklin and Lorien playing the part of Basil exposition this week and whilst Lorien's explanations could have been overwhelmingly cheesy they actually work quite well, someone once pointed out that if B5 was indeed inspired by the Lord of the Rings then Sheridan's death and resurrection is highly reminiscent of the fate of Gandalf. Interesting that it is not just Sheridan who is afraid of dying but also the piece of Kosh he carries within him, further hints that Vorlorns aren't the divine beings we always thought they were? And Damien London good as ever. Still a shocker when we see Garabaldi imprisoned and then the Psi-cop walks in.   

8/10

Since we're back on the artificial gravity discussion, this is what I referred to.

From "Matters of Honor"

Delenn: The White Star is a new breed of Minbari warship. Smaller than our other fleet ships, and faster than anything else her size. It uses both Minbari and Vorlon technology. Most important, unlike other vessels her size this one can make its own jump point into hyperspace.
Ivanova: Very nice. It looks just different enough, so it won't be recognized as a Minbari ship.
Lennier: Yes, exactly.
Ivanova: I'll take two.
Sheridan: I've noticed you have artificial gravity. Our ships have to use rotating sections.
Delenn: Our drive systems are based partly on magnetic and gravitational principles. We've had artificial gravity for some time now. This way.

At least in this scene, Delenn seems to make a point that the Minbari had artificial gravity for some time, as if this were something Sheridan / Earthforce did not know about. Obviously, the Minbari didn't share that with Earth. If the Centaui had it, did they (and the Narn, who stole their technology) just refuse to sell it or mention it to humans? I don't recall seeing that in the series.

11 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

someone once pointed out that if B5 was indeed inspired by the Lord of the Rings then Sheridan's death and resurrection is highly reminiscent of the fate of Gandalf.

No disrespect to Tolkien, but he hardly invented the motif.

The Centauri and Narn had to have artificial gravity because the ships didn't have any rotational sections.

22 hours ago, ketose said:

Since we're back on the artificial gravity discussion, this is what I referred to.

From "Matters of Honor"

Delenn: The White Star is a new breed of Minbari warship. Smaller than our other fleet ships, and faster than anything else her size. It uses both Minbari and Vorlon technology. Most important, unlike other vessels her size this one can make its own jump point into hyperspace.
Ivanova: Very nice. It looks just different enough, so it won't be recognized as a Minbari ship.
Lennier: Yes, exactly.
Ivanova: I'll take two.
Sheridan: I've noticed you have artificial gravity. Our ships have to use rotating sections.
Delenn: Our drive systems are based partly on magnetic and gravitational principles. We've had artificial gravity for some time now. This way.

At least in this scene, Delenn seems to make a point that the Minbari had artificial gravity for some time, as if this were something Sheridan / Earthforce did not know about. Obviously, the Minbari didn't share that with Earth. If the Centaui had it, did they (and the Narn, who stole their technology) just refuse to sell it or mention it to humans? I don't recall seeing that in the series.

I wonder if they designed the station first and then the writers realised they'd painted themselves into a corner?

17 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

No disrespect to Tolkien, but he hardly invented the motif.

The Centauri and Narn had to have artificial gravity because the ships didn't have any rotational sections.

Quite true

The Summoning

Isn't Zac just a little bit suspicious at how easy it was to rescue Garabaldi? Frankly I expected better of Bester. I had forgotten how Garabaldi's programming begins to show right from the very start with his suspicions about Lorien. The Marcus and Ivanova scenes are okay but the highlight is them finding the Vorlorn fleet, you think you're looking at a massive Vorlorn ship but then you see the planet killer and realise massive has a new meaning. As always great scenes between Londo and G'kar and Sheridan's return is actually very effective. The part that sticks with you however is poor Lyta being mistreated by the new Kosh, she truly comes across as a battered wife, you'd think everyone else would show her a bit more concern.

8/10 

Sheridan and by extension Delenn get way wrapped up in their own shit once he comes back. To be fair, they have a lot of work to do, but Sheridan knows well enough by now that the Vorlon are no angels (pun intended).

No way Sinclair would put up with that noise though.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

The Narn don't.  Whenever they show the bridge of the Narn warships, the crew is always strapped down.

1 minute ago, starri said:

The Narn don't.  Whenever they show the bridge of the Narn warships, the crew is always strapped down.

It helps that they're bald. Don't need effects for hair floating around. I suspect that was a consideration when designing their look.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2018 at 6:45 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

One thing I would add, Claudia Christian was in a very cheap sci-fi movie called 'Arena' which mimics the fight club storyline quite vividly. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101366/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_119

They were playing Arena on CometTV earlier this week! I don't recall if I have already seen it at the time, but I remember noticing the similarities. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, ProfCrash said:

I suspect that the Narns would have continue to press their new found might and the Centauri would have continued to have little influence. But Mr. Morden did come along and Londo fell into his trap and the rest is history. The really sad part is that Londo figures it out eventually but can’t stop the ball from rolling.

"The stones have no say in an avalanche..."

On 12/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, ProfCrash said:

The Drazi are aggressive but not expansionist or particularly smart. They determine their government by splitting in two and beating each other into submission. Not what the Shadows would be looking for.

If memory serves, several races were aligned with the Shadows. Right before it self-destructed,  they saw several races, some unknown,  fleeing with what they could scavenge. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, starri said:

I think the original plan was to have S4 end after Sheridan was captured.  Unless it was severely compressed, the Minbari conflict ended a few episodes before.

Even worse than Byron for me was the Mack and Bo episode.  

Were Mack and Bo the celebrities that visited the station and were sppsd to be great comedians? If so, that's a tough  choice! 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, AuntieMame said:

Marcus was mentioned in conjunction with Byron as an annoying character. For me as a viewer, Marcus was disconcerting because he seemed like he was a refugee from a pulp fantasy show or book rather than the sci fi world JMS created. Rather as if a paladin rode a horse onto the bridge of the Enterprise. I know writers sometimes mix the fantasy and science fiction genres, but this really didn’t work for me. 

I didn't like Marcus at first, but grew to like him without realizing it.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:08 PM, Joe Hellandback said:

Believers

I'm sure this is a minority opinion but I think this may be the best ever ep of B5, in terms of a philosophical conundrum, do we save the kid or not? I especially love the scene where they go to the ambassadors for help, Gkar wanting to know what's in it for him, Londo wanting money and Delenn wholly sympathetic but not prepared to make the awful decision. Kosh about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It's a mark of the bravery of the writers to not find some happy ending and the scenes between Sinclair and Stephen are also excellent. 

Believers is the tipping point ep for me, because when the child died so tragically,  I realized this was NOT Star Trek and they were willing to not use a happy ending. I think that was the first time a show had done that.

I always liked Marcus. I think he had just the right amount of self-deprecation to not make him arrogant. On the other hand, Byron was a humorless zealot who came off as a jerk because the audience already sympathized with telepaths and he constantly whined about how they were treated badly by even the people who were trying to help them.

22 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think anyone else but Marcus would have figured out Valen. 

Marcus knew Sinclair the best in his role as Entilzah. After all, Sinclair was one of Marcus's trainer and Marcus trained with Catherine. Granted, that is all from the books, but Marcus would have known Sinclair in a very different role and had better insight into Sinclair's more recent mind set.

Sheridan didn't know Sinclair except in passing after some brief contacts. Ivanova knew Sinclair only as the Commander of B5, she was just starting to get to know Sinclair behind his facade when Sinclair left.

Marcus also had the benefit of knowing a lot more about Valen because of his time on Minbar. I doubt that Sheridan or Ivanova had much background information, no matter how biased, on Valen.

• Love 1