Type keyword(s) to search

On 5/27/2016 at 3:19 PM, shura said:

Hey, Samaritan, have you tried this: (1) destroy the scientist's records and any bio materials she uses, (2) if she does not give up and keeps working, go to step 1? No need to kill anybody.

We don't know exactly what steps Samaritan took in order to put up roadblocks to the research, but at some point, Samaritan, as a machine who we assume is "logic-based" would just see the easiest step to eliminate the root of the threat if that root keeps growing in spite of cutting off the top.  And there is the risk that once the research gets out, then there is no way you can stop it.  Isn't that what Team Machine ended up doing with the file regarding the research of the missing scientist that found the food growing method?  As a way to stop Samaritan from wanting to kill others with knowledge of the research?  That would be the risk that Samaritan runs by just trying to stop the research progress rather than eliminate the source.  I am not on Team Samaritan or anything, but I believe it is more "complex" than just "pure evil".

I suppose we need to define "pure evil". Killing people for no logical reason? No, Samaritan is not that, I agree. But then there is hardly anything in the world that is pure evil. The term pretty much becomes meaningless.

I've been thinking about this and Greer told Sameen that the "field trip" where she killed the scientist wasn't a simulation, but I think he lied.  She was in Johannesburg at the time, but as I recall, the trip took place in the US, and may have been in New York City.  Am I missing something?

I never saw it specified that Dr Kagawa's lab was in NY.  Her building had no identifying marks.  The exterior shots of Chinatown after the scene in which Shaw killed her were to transition to Finch in the subway.

We may not have seen that Dr Kagawa's lab was in NY, or in J-Burg, but Shaw would have seen landmarks on her filed trip that would tip her as to where she was.  If there were any swirling liquids, the Coriolanus Effect would have told her she was south of the Equator.  But she seemed surprised to find out that she was in J-Burg.

How do we know that the shooting wasn't a simulation (other than what Shaw was told, which could have easily been a lie)?

I mean, it's entirely possible that they gave her a simulation where she killed the scientist, then had someone in real life kill the scientist, and played the news story just to make her think it wasn't a simulation.  The only thing we really know wasn't a simulation was her finding out that the scientist had been killed, since that was followed by Root's message.

I think we're supposed to take it on face value that it was not a simulation and that the writers simply didn't think about cluse that Shaw wasn't in Kansas NYC any  more.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:41 AM, DeepRunner said:

Since I don't read other people's posts, someone may have already pointed this out, but...

a very subtle callback to "4C" in Season 3

Since you don't read other people's posts, you'll never know that "4C" remains one of my favorite episodes.  Quel dommage.

1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

Since you don't read other people's posts, you'll never know that "4C" remains one of my favorite episodes.  Quel dommage.

What I m-e-a-n-t to say was, I don't read them BEFORE I start writing my post. lo siento por no hacer esa clara

• Love 1
On 6/4/2016 at 1:33 AM, jhlipton said:

If there were any swirling liquids, the Coriolanus Effect would have told her she was south of the Equator. 

On 6/4/2016 at 5:12 PM, kwnyc said:

Also, driving on the other side of the road, etc. Shaw might have known she was in the Southern hemisphere, but not where.

First off, the Coriolanus Effect is really only applicable on large phenomena such as ocean currents and cyclones. Granted, Shaw can be a virtual tornado, but.....

And for the Southern Hemisphere, you might check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg