Type keyword(s) to search

Hell of a Time: Ratings and Scheduling

4 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

There’s only 3 shows I watch on Sunday night: NCIS:LA, Madam Secretary and Timeless. Thru the magic of DVR of course. Haven’t watch Madam Secretary yet- but I will.  Guess people like me don’t matter - wrong demographic. 

No, NBC looks at that as well as viewership on Hulu over the first three days following a live broadcast.  Social-media trending also plays a bigger part than it did just a few years ago.  Remember that NBC is a half-owner of this show (Sony being the other half-owner) -- it's got a HUGE stake in seeing it do well!

And I understand that American Idol was trounced by The Voice last night. I think most people just tuned in to see what the revival would look like.  As I said, a lot can happen by the time upfronts are announced, and I think the show will do very well if it just holds steady and holds onto or improves over its lead-in.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, Stuffy said:

I'm disappointed but not surprised.  Even Kelly Clarkson mentioned she thought it was cancelled.  There are people who probably didn't hear the renewal news.  I've always wondered how accurate Nielsen actually is.  I have never met a single person or family in Oklahoma who is a Nielsen family.  I've only seen or heard of the seven day booklet you have to fill out.  

There are only 40,000 Nielsen families

• Love 1
(edited)

Ratings: Timeless Ticks Up With Finale, as Series Awaits Word on Its Future
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 14 2018, 8:18 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2018/05/14/timeless-ratings-season-2-finale-renewed-or-cancelled/

NBC bubble drama Timeless this Sunday aired its Season 2 finale, ending with a whiz-bang cliffhanger while its future remains TBD.

The two-hour season-ender averaged 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating from 9:14 to 11:14 pm ET, ticking up versus last week.

All S2 ratings: https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/timeless-season-two-ratings/

Edited by tv echo

Oh, good! I still think it's a long shot for renewal, but I'm reeeeaaaally hoping it gets at least a short season. It's certainly getting a lot of attention on Twitter and Facebook and elsewhere, so clearly people are watching and engaged. I hate the ratings model so much.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm a little afraid nothing they could do would live up to the expectations set by the season finale, though.

Oh, THAT doesn't worry me.  Every time this season, they've managed to top themselves just when I thought they couldn't possibly do so. So of course they'll be able to outdo even the season finale in Season 3.

Sunday night is tough although I think many are tiring of football games pushing back an entire schedule which is why they on some channels they post an announcement that the show will immediately following the game etc.

I think Timeless stood a better chance if they didn't have to finish out against the Badlands or Walking Dead epis over an hour. I will say I think Talking Dead can be beat in that time spot. I don't get Madame Secretary and many other shows which are nothing but West Wing clones and  too topical, if I want commentary I'll watch real commentary. Also game shows preceding Timeless maybe not the best thing. Too bad they can't have that Monday 10 slot back.

Those ratings aren't great.  With all the Twitter buzz on Sun night, I was expecting the ratings to be somewhat higher than normal. Man, I don't have a great feeling about this.

This would make a great summer show.  I would be totally fine with a 10 episode Season 3 that starts in Summer of 2019.  I don't even care how it gets renewed, just that it does. Put it on Saturday's at 2am, I don't care. JUST. RENEW. IT.  

But tho

I'm wondering if not just for Timeless an after show might help many of these shows. Personally I think Talking Bad then Talking Dead saved those shows because it helps keep people engaged or thinking about. Without the after show people will start losing interest.

That being said I still know too many people who want tv the way it was 20 years ago with more compact storyline where there's a resolution by the end. Throw in cable and internet competition there is just too much competition(saturation) so in a way their rating aren't that bad. But when other shows do much better yes I can see network executives wanting something else. Many also don't want to think differently and blow off science fiction as another super hero movie.

If they want syndication and dvd sales perhaps they might renew it but it doesn't look good. Or get like Sharknado and do the annual Timeless two hour movie.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2018 at 10:50 AM, misstwpherecool said:

If they want syndication and dvd sales perhaps they might renew it but it doesn't look good. Or get like Sharknado and do the annual Timeless two hour movie.

I am only surprised that I have not seen "Timeless" and "Sharknado" in the same sentence before. Heh.

Similarly, I was thinking a Timeless movie a la Firefly might be appropriate.

• Love 2