Type keyword(s) to search

Hell of a Time: Ratings and Scheduling

Ep 1: Decent ratings for these days, on a network (especially poor beleaguered NBC).

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/timeless-season-one-ratings/

1.90 18-49 demo 
7.662 m total viewers Live + Same Day Ratings

That said, it would be pretty typical for the show to not hold onto these kind of ratings and for it to fall through the floor. It helps though that they're apparently going to be keeping The Voice as a juggernaut lead-in.

Just as a reminder, there's no new episode tomorrow night because Saturday Night Live will be doing its Pre-Election Special.  The next new episode is scheduled for November 14, 2016.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Just as a reminder, there's no new episode tomorrow night because Saturday Night Live will be doing its Pre-Election Special.  The next new episode is scheduled for November 14, 2016.

I would not have known this.  Thanks.

• Love 1

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the show is "steady" at 1.2 and 4.7 million.

The real test will come after the holidays and the end of the football season, but I'll be surprised if we don't get a second-season announcement right around the time of the May upfronts.

• Love 8

NBC is so in the shitter now I feel like the show would have to be bleeding a ton of money for them not to renew it. There's a chance if the show can stay steady, but man...on ABC or CBS, this show would be a total goner by this point. Especially CBS. (Why no, I'm not bitter about Limitless at all.)

I do think the show is headed in a positive direction in terms of storytelling and making the team work. As long as they stay far, far away from shipping.

Edited by methodwriter85
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

NBC is so in the shitter now I feel like the show would have to be bleeding a ton of money for them not to renew it. There's a chance if the show can stay steady, but man...on ABC or CBS, this show would be a total goner by this point. Especially CBS. (Why no, I'm not bitter about Limitless at all.)

I do think the show is headed in a positive direction in terms of storytelling and making the team work. As long as they stay far, far away from shipping.

Shipping would be OK as long as they let it happen organically instead of trying to force it (Supergirl, I'm looking at you.)  I mean, Rufus and Jiya's ship is something that feels right, and I think we're all pretty much resigned to "Wucy" as an inevitable given.  What matters is not whether the show actually goes there, but how it goes there.

The good news is that Timeless won its timeslot and NBC won the night.  The bad news is that Timeless dropped to 1.1/4 and had 4.89 million viewers.  That's only a one-tenth point drop, and it may be because of football, so I'd still say that as long as those ratings hold, a second season may not be as much of a long shot as people think.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-nov-28-2016/

• Love 1

Of NBC's eight hour-long shows, Timeless is last in viewers (5.55 mil) and 6th in demo (1.33). The only shows worse than it are Blindspot (1.21) and the Blacklist (1.16). Those two shows have tougher timeslots (Wed @ 8 PM, Thu @ 10 PM). Add the factor that Timeless has the Voice as its lead-in, and cancellation is all but guaranteed. 

Timeless struggles to integrate its season-long stories with its events-of-the-week. One particular example is that last week's episode, like many of the fillers, did not affect the timeline at all. Therefore, why should casual viewers even watch? Kripke doesn't care about anything beyond showing off (his limited) historical knowledge. He also errs by only making certain episodes

Spoiler

(1, 6, 7, and 9)

include actual plot progression. How he convinced NBC that making viewers wait for answers and information was a good idea, I'll never know.

Edited by New Rules 14
Watched last night's episode...
  • Love 1

Timeless came in second (The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show beat it) with a 1.2/4 and 5.08 million viewers.  In other words, it's hanging in there (ABC's Conviction got destroyed -- only 0.6/2 and 3.34 million viewers).  NBC still won the night overall, despite the competition from CBS in the 10 p.m. timeslot, with a 1.8/6 and 8.39 million viewers.

• Love 2

Boston area viewers who have watched Timeless on WHDH: WHDH has lost its MBC affiliation. Supposedly NBC shows can be viewed on a new station and the channel numbers are here: 

http://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

However, many viewers (including me) cannot access the new station. I'm on an antenna. Fortunately there is an NBC app that let me watch another NBC show on my iPad the day after airing. Hoping it works for Timeless too.

18 minutes ago, Driad said:

Boston area viewers who have watched Timeless on WHDH: WHDH has lost its MBC affiliation. Supposedly NBC shows can be viewed on a new station and the channel numbers are here: 

http://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

However, many viewers (including me) cannot access the new station. I'm on an antenna. Fortunately there is an NBC app that let me watch another NBC show on my iPad the day after airing. Hoping it works for Timeless too.

If not, you can always watch it on Hulu the next day.

13 hours ago, Driad said:

They say it is Channel 10 but maybe that is just for most cable in the area which is heavy Comcast territory.  I'm in New England too and my fringe cable company has the non-HD version on Channel 10 but the HD version on channel 812 which is a pain since all the other basic HD channels are in the 700's.  But that is why my cable company makes Comcast look good in comparison.

The new NBC Boston station btw has the call letters of WBTS.

Edited by green

"Cancel Bear" seems to think Scorpion is doing fine. I don't really understand why they have it listed at the top of the list when if you look at the actual numbers, it's not really their top rated drama. But they seem to think it's an absolute sure bet for renewal:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-cbs-week-18-life-in-pieces-upgrades-to-a-likely-renewal/

On the other hand, they say Timeless is a toss up. So I dunno.

Maybe be they judge based on demo? Scorpion seems to be better than Elementary in that regard, and well in line with other procedurals with solid ratings like NCIS line-up, Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5-O. And Elementary's ratings never were all that good in the first place.

58 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Maybe be they judge based on demo? Scorpion seems to be better than Elementary in that regard, and well in line with other procedurals with solid ratings like NCIS line-up, Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5-O. And Elementary's ratings never were all that good in the first place.

Elementary earned CBS something liked 80 million dollars last year due to syndication cost & airing rights around the world - heard that when people were like "So you canceled POI but kept Elementary, even though both had very similar ratings?"

18 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Elementary earned CBS something liked 80 million dollars last year due to syndication cost & airing rights around the world

Plus, Elementary is a CBS property and POI wasn't.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:36 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Just FYI, Timeless came in a distant second to Scorpion with a 0.9/3 and 3.46 million viewers.

It's still on the bubble, but the cast, crew, and fans are putting up one hell of a fight for it.

Fans?  This show actually has "fans" instead of just casual viewers like me who don't care if it gets cancelled or not?  Who knew.

As Grimm is ending, having fulfilled its episode commitment in the TNT deal, I think NBC will use this as new Friday spackle if only because they dont want to use one of their other existing shows nor a new show.  

They'll probably cut the budget and not give it a "full" season, but I think it'll be back.

• Love 1
On 04.02.2017 at 4:42 AM, green said:

Fans?  This show actually has "fans" instead of just casual viewers like me who don't care if it gets cancelled or not?  Who knew.

People are writing fanfic about it. I'd say it's fannish enough!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

They must have some faith in it if they're putting in on Sundays instead of burying it on Fridays to burn off like other shows with low ratings but a devoted following. I'm actually surprised they're giving it a competitive slot.

Yeah. I thought for sure it was going to get the Grimm treatment.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

They must have some faith in it if they're putting in on Sundays instead of burying it on Fridays to burn off like other shows with low ratings but a devoted following. I'm actually surprised they're giving it a competitive slot.

They probably want it to do well - a 10 episode season isn't a huge investment, and it is a good gap filler

• Love 1

IDK-to me Sunday night at nine o'clock isn't a good spot at all, but I agree it's better than Friday. There's also the fact that most shows have not started repeating yet, so they just put it where they could find room-the timeslot may not have much to do with how they feel about the show. It just strikes me as if they are almost trying to bury it. I don't really watch network TV that much, so I have no idea if they've even advertised it.

I was considering that being scheduled opposite Madam Secretary could be a good thing because CBS Sunday night programs are often pushed back as much as an hour due to sports, so folks tuning in to see Madam Secretary who encountered a reality show might start channel surfing for another scripted show.
However, also premiering that night and time on ABC is Greg Berlanti Production's new "Deception" (think The Mentalist but with an ex magician).
So now I'm thinking Sunday may be replacing Friday as the Scheduling Slot of Death.
But we've still got time travel with historical costumes, so what's not to love?

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was considering that being scheduled opposite Madam Secretary could be a good thing because CBS Sunday night programs are often pushed back as much as an hour due to sports, so folks tuning in to see Madam Secretary who encountered a reality show might start channel surfing for another scripted show.
However, also premiering that night and time on ABC is Greg Berlanti Production's new "Deception" (think The Mentalist but with an ex magician).
So now I'm thinking Sunday may be replacing Friday as the Scheduling Slot of Death.
But we've still got time travel with historical costumes, so what's not to love?

Deception looks so, so, so very bad.

I hope the... varying interests of the timeslot will give Timeless the ratings it needs (I bet if it stays at or above 1.0, NBC will be happy as a clam)

• Love 2

I'm disappointed but not surprised.  Even Kelly Clarkson mentioned she thought it was cancelled.  There are people who probably didn't hear the renewal news.  I've always wondered how accurate Nielsen actually is.  I have never met a single person or family in Oklahoma who is a Nielsen family.  I've only seen or heard of the seven day booklet you have to fill out.  

Not surprised. What kind of lead-in is American Ninja Warrior? I can’t imagine there’s a lot of viewership crossover. 

Also, it was on opposite the American Idol premiere, which I imagine a lot of people tuned in for just to see what the reboot looked like. 

It's about revenue, which largely depends on the ratings. Timeless is half produced by NBC as I understand it, which lowers the bar. (The other half is Sony I think.) Some of the money paid to the production by NBC for the right to air the show comes right back to a different division. And I'm pretty sure the show's budget has been cut. Even so, to be in good health Timeless needs ad revenue which is generally higher for higher ratings. Timeless is down in the pits with Madam Secretary. It got beat by Deception. Now, it's not an automatic out. Deception is losing roughly half its audience lead in, while Timeless is largely keeping its. And a good proportion of Madam Secretary is older, which is likely less ad revenue unless Madam Secretary is a show that appeals to higher income audience. The income date is particularly important, which is why it's not commonly reported, I think. If Timeless is keeping more of its audience lead in than the previous NBC, it's not sunk yet. NBC won't replace the show until they have hopes of something that does even better *and* they don't have another time slot they think their new show(s) might be better yet in. If it's losing share, I think NBC will gamble on anything, no matter what. 

My guess is that Timeless will depend on keeping its lead much better than Deception (done the first week,) and beating Madam Secretary (not.)

Edited by sjohnson
7 hours ago, sjohnson said:

It's about revenue, which largely depends on the ratings. Timeless is half produced by NBC as I understand it, which lowers the bar. (The other half is Sony I think.) Some of the money paid to the production by NBC for the right to air the show comes right back to a different division. And I'm pretty sure the show's budget has been cut.

Actually, the budget is the same as Season 1's.

I think it was just inertia from people who wanted to see the premiere of American Idol, which had been off the air for longer than Timeless had.  People who have been on one station for a couple of hours are simply too lazy to change the channel to something else once the main attraction is over.  And I also think it's too early to tell -- a lot can happen in ten weeks.  If the show holds steady and hold onto or even builds on its lead-in once the novelty of the revived American Idol has worn off, it's still got a fighting chance, in my view.

Edited by legaleagle53

There’s only 3 shows I watch on Sunday night: NCIS:LA, Madam Secretary and Timeless. Thru the magic of DVR of course. Haven’t watch Madam Secretary yet- but I will.  Guess people like me don’t matter - wrong demographic.