Type keyword(s) to search

Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp (Yet) Again! (2016 Fox) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I miss the squalid nature of the original film. This one seems way too sanitized. And what happened to the Time Warp? It took five seconds to learn the original -- I'd have to go to Alvin Ailey's Dance School for Seniors to learn the one they presented tonight. :( 

Yeah, this is just not terribly salacious. And people complained about Glee's version. I will say that for the most part, the singing is pretty good. 

Haha, Ryan's face at Janet's "I don't like men with too many muscles." Honestly, Laverne isn't nailing the jokes the way I'd hoped. "I didn't make him for you" should have played better.

3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Yeah, this is just not terribly salacious. And people complained about Glee's version. I will say that for the most part, the singing is pretty good. 

Well, the first mistake is being aired on broadcast, and the second is airing it at 8:00 p.m.

• Love 5

I forgot that Columbia is the one who gets most of the good lines in this.

On the fence with Laverne. The performance is great. But I agree something else needed to be done to distinguish from Curry was needed (besides the obvious... her race, gender identifcation and... breasts). Verbally I don't know what else she should have done, but there must have been something.

That said, to be fair, the guy doing Riff Raff is copying Richard O'Brian just as totally.  And this Columbia is of course doing the same accent for Columbia. So we don't really have to pick just on Laverne for that.

• Love 1

Not liking Laverne's performance:

1. She's not Tim Curry

2. She's gargling her words

3. She's playing it campy, playing Curry-lite, as others said, but without the oozing sex of Curry

4. She's not Tim Curry

• Love 14
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, the first mistake is being aired on broadcast, and the second is airing it at 8:00 p.m.

Well the problem is that Fox doesn't run past 10pm. And this is 2 hours (less like a half hour's worth of commercials), isn't it?

Laverne's delivery is FAR easier to take on these less known songs.

Ah time for Not Meatloaf. (I actually forgot this was going to be Lambert)

Laverne has beautiful teeth. But I think she's too busy posing for screengrabs and gifs than losing herself in the part.

Well, Adam Lambert sounds like Adam Lambert. I'm not complaining. 

LOL at Eddie/Lambert's sideburns

• Love 1

There was no danger in Laverne stalking Eddie with the knife. You could barely see what was happening. I do agree that Lambert was at least doing something different.

I feel like the show keeps forgetting about Brad and Janet.

OK, I think I'm caught up by now. Is everyone else also watching a Guardians of the Galaxy trailer?

• Love 3

Just watching the first 5 minutes. I know this is pre-recorded and not live, but what's up with the bad lip-syncing? Does this continue? Cause I can just bail right now. Her voice is good, but the lip-syncing is extremely obvious, not at all like a movie musical. I'd expect more out of a production that had time for post-production.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

There was no danger in Laverne stalking Eddie with the knife. You could barely see what was happening. I do agree that Lambert was at least doing something different.

I didn't actually think that doing something different was something good in that case. 

In the original, there was some stalking and hacking that made Curry come across as dangerous and menacing.  Here not so much.

I do think Riff Raff is definitely different here.  Sexy perv instead of creepy.

I am sad that Christina Milian is ruining Magenta.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

Glee the later years. It's in the tone and also the way it's filmed.

OK, Christina Milan really doesn't know what movie she's in.

Ryan's OK in this scene.

He's no Barry Bostwick but he actually seems to be having fun.

• Love 1

I just can't ruin one more memory of my beloved Rocky Horror watching this Six Flags Players rendition of it.  Time to change the channel. 

OK, now I'm just getting pissed.  No part of the script is meant to be delivered in a natural tone.  Nothing in RHPS should ever be spoken conversationally.

I'm looking at you, entire cast.

• Love 2

I only watched the movie once or twice years ago but this is making me realize how well I remember it. I don't think people who are encountering Rocky Horror for the first time through this will remember the story and beats nearly as well.

I'm liking Victoria Justice's voice. But it's like they cast people on their voices without any acting component to the audition.

I feel like I might listen to this album but I probably won't be watching this again.

On the plus side, my mom is into it.

I feel like we also somehow lost the sci-fi aspect of Rocky being a creation.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I'm liking Victoria Justice's voice. But it's like they cast people on their voices without any acting component to the audition.

Well they probably also considered Victoria's figure (given that she's in a bra the whole time) and the guy who plays Rocky's body had to be important too.

When I caught Rocky Horror on TV as a teenager, I felt like I had discovered this secret thing I wasn't supposed to be watching. It aired late enough that it creeped me out a little and while not that risque in the grand scheme of things, it felt sexy.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

This is definitely the problem.  She's no Susan Sarandon, and who is.  But there was nothing in that performance that had any emotional connection.  She was performing a song and that's it.  The lack of emotion made it too loud and fast.  They also toned the whole thing down for TV which ruined the funniest parts.

Its happening with almost everyone.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I'll still give it to the Usherette at the beginning.

It's sad that it's all been downhill since that.

You only got that because Christina Milian is terrible.  Usually whoever plays Magenta does that number.

• Love 1
Just now, ParadoxLost said:

You only got that because Christina Milian is terrible.  Usually whoever plays Magenta does that number.

Good point.

And why did they keep Milian around if they knew that?

I had read rumors that Adam Lambert was offered the lead role of Frank-N'-Furter but declined. I can't help but wonder if this would have been salvaged had Lambert played the role. But probably not, given some of the other cast and the broadcast constraints that plague this.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Oh my God, Ben Vereen as someone who actually knows how to act and react... What are you doing here?

Slumming? (Sorry, but at this point, why else would anyone with acting sense be here?)