Type keyword(s) to search

The Exorcist in the Media

I only just saw a promo for this.  At this point I am so starved for some decent new scripted tv, I am setting the bar pretty low. The movie scared the Hell out of me, so maybe there's hope :)

I see that Entertainment Weekly has an article about supernatural activity on set.  The actors playing the sisters both claim the elevator (from the pilot) always stopped on floor 13.    And GD states she just learned that the set was being blessed by a priest. 

Cast members from the movie claimed much more malevolent things.  Besides the actor who played Burke dying, I believe there were other cast members who had loved ones die.  The story goes that there was pressure to have the set blessed, but there was disagreement  among the top brass.   Before anything was done, the set inexplicably started on fire. 

I am just now finishing the book The Story Behind The Exorcist, by Peter Travers and Stephanie Reiff (1974).  Weird things did happen during the filming, but could probably be explained by natural occurrences.  Jack MacGowran, who played Burke Dennings, the director of the film-within-the-film, died of a heart attack after having just recovered from the London flu, aged 55, two weeks after he finished his part in the movie.  The actress who played Father Karras' mother, Greek-born Vasiliki Maliaros, died nine days later of natural causes, age 89.  Linda Blair's grandfather died during the filming of the movie as well.

There's a guy who appears in one of the scenes where Regan is being medically tortured who's played by a guy who was a real x-ray tech and NYU Medical Center.

He also turned out to be a serial killer.

• Love 2

HOLY...

I never would have predicted the show would be renewed after how low the ratings were. I think it just goes to show how desperate the TV networks are. But YAY! I am super excited! I wonder if they'll be filming in Chicago again? Just my luck, it'll probably move to a different locale.

• Love 6

I'm happy the show is renewed.  Very happy.  But there is no way Season 2 can be better than Season 1.  Season 1 had it all, great protagonists, wonderful villains, a complex plot and most importantly, dramatic pacing, including one of the best reveals of recent memory.  I hope they can do better!

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay! This news was so under the radar. I hadn't seen any articles about it being canceled, but I'd assumed I'd just missed it until I saw Fox's new Fall line-up and saw this was coming back on Fridays. I was more excited than I thought I would be. I just assumed the show would be canceled. I'm so happy two of my favorite shows that start with an "E" - this and Elementary were surprisingly renewed.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

I'm so thrilled!!!  With the same characters who survived S1!  YES!!!

I've read two articles on news of the second season (yay!) and neither one mentions anybody coming back.  The only quote from Fox is “a new chapter of the iconic franchise”.

Do you have different sources?

They better at least have the two priests and that full figured chick who wanted the demon in her or I'll be upset. And the look and feel of the show better be the same.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

They better at least have the two priests and that full figured chick who wanted the demon in her or I'll be upset. And the look and feel of the show better be the same.

This. As good as the cast is, the Rances' story is pretty much settled and I don't see any need for more than a check-in at some point (plus not re-upping Geena Davis as a regular can only help the show's budget). Just send Marcus and Tomas after Maria, and if she happens to resurface in a city that's cheaper to shoot in than Chicago, hey.

• Love 6

Is season one available on Netflix or one of the other streaming sites? I didn't think we'd get another season, but now that we are I have some people that I wanna urge to binge-watch.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2017 at 1:38 PM, sugarbaker design said:

I've read two articles on news of the second season (yay!) and neither one mentions anybody coming back.  The only quote from Fox is “a new chapter of the iconic franchise”.

Do you have different sources?

7isBlue posted the interview link above.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2017 at 6:44 AM, asabovesobelow said:

I think this renewal excites me the most out of any other show this year! Because I was sure - sure - it was going to be cancelled. I'm so happy that the network chose quality over ratings in this case. 

My guess is the top Fox executive in charge of shows loved this show.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2017 at 2:03 PM, jewel21 said:

Don't forget Father Bennett.  I love him.

the only one I don't want to see is Jessica, tomas' girlfriend.

• Love 4

Thanks for the update and article, TobinAlbers.  Hopefully Father Tomas' girlfriend will have hit the road.  I hope the Satan worshipers stay.  Marcus is still ex-communicated; I wonder if Father Bennett can help get him reinstated, if that's possible?

• Love 4

I am going to Comic Con on Thurs and will try to get into the Exorcist panel (no guarantees).   I saw the premiere last year but left early because I wanted to go another panel (star trek, i think) so I left before most of the q and a.  Alll three priests will be there.  i am pretty excited.

• Love 5
(edited)

I went to the panel and enjoyed it.

John Cho, Brianna, Alfonso, Ben,  Kurt and 2 producer types were on the panel.

Ben seemed really into it.  He seemed giddy.

Brianna is a big horror film fan.  She seemed happy to be on the show.  The only thing is she didn't get a lot of questions I felt bad for her.

When they filmed in Mexico City, Alfonso took his co stars to Lucha  Libre and got them ant egg pizza.

apparently the director of the film was not happy about the series, but the book writer was fine.

The producers met with some exorcists off the record.  They said that the priests were very soft spoken, but had very frightening stories.  So these priests were the best actors in the world or they truly believed what they were saying.

The Regan twist was not something they pitched to the network.  Most of the cast was not aware of it.  Although Ben felt that the mom had to been possessed because she so readily knew something was wrong.  He was very astute.  

Spoilers

Father Bennet (Kurt) will be at the Vatican trying to fight corruption in the church.  We will get his backstory and meet his mentor.  Apparently his backstory is tragic.    They did mention the Office of Exorcisms.

they will be shooting in Vancouver in part to keep costs down, but the producers felt it lets them do creepy stories.  

Father marcus may be dating.  The impact of the excommunication will be explored.  This is the first time in his life since he was a young child.  He is without structure in his life.  The excommunication also impacts his relationship with Tomas.

Tomas might be taking unnecessary risks that impacts the relationship.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 8

Thanks for the report, kitticup.  I'm in San Diego and wish I could have gone to Comic-Con, never been, and the tix are sold out well in advance!  I would have been honored to meet Ben Daniels.  So, do you mean William Peter Blatty, the author of The Exorcist novel, was fine with the series being made, but director William Friedkin, didn't approve?  Were they there too?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Thanks for the report, kitticup.  I'm in San Diego and wish I could have gone to Comic-Con, never been, and the tix are sold out well in advance!  I would have been honored to meet Ben Daniels.  So, do you mean William Peter Blatty, the author of The Exorcist novel, was fine with the series being made, but director William Friedkin, didn't approve?  Were they there too?

If you want get tickets, you have to first get a member id months before comic con.  Go to the comic com web page to see how to enroll.  Then in April or March, you will get an email telling you when tickets will be sold online and a link to the online sale.  On that day you go on line, login into the waiting room and hope you get selected to go into the purchase room.  My friend got the ticket but only one day.  The other days were sold out.

I hope you like San Diego.  I live there and like it a lot.

• Love 1