Type keyword(s) to search

Good Media: Articles, Clips, Previews, Reviews

The Hollywood Reporter's latest interview with Schur post-"Janet(s)" has a lot of interesting tidbits about the process and how the show is made, which I always find interesting.

You were just renewed for a fourth season. Had you been talking with NBC for a while about it?

We are off cycle. We start our season in January with the writers, and we're shooting in late March, early April because we need the time. I finished the visual effects on the "Janet(s)" episode like a week ago. It just takes a really, really long time. So we can't start on the normal schedule. … Because of that they have to decide. They have to pick us up by the end of December, because if they don't we can't start in January, and that means we can't be on the air in September.

They've been really good about it. Network TV is not known for being light on its feet or being agile in the way they approach things like pickups. Obviously, they're giant, lumbering beasts, and they have a lot of things to consider in any given moment, so it's hard for them to make exceptions to their rules. They sort of do everything in big chunks at the same time. But early on, we were like, This is the deal: If you like our show and want more of it in the fall, you need to tell us in December instead of May. They've been really good about that all three years. So we were in discussions right when it [premiered] in September. We were talking about what we needed for next year.

Have you given much thought to how much more story you have left?

[Laughs] Yeah. Obviously because of that DNA, where status quos get blown up so frequently, this is not a show that is destined to be on for nine years. It's not a 200-episode, Friends kind of a deal. It's not a hangout show. So yeah, we've given it a lot of thought, and we have a certain plan, which I think you'll get the sense of in the fairly near future.

• Love 1

Another story on the making of "Janet(s) from the AV Club

As an Orphan Black (and huge TM fan), I was glad that Schur acknowledged that show.

According to Schur, one of the reasons he knew the show could pull off something so challenging was because, “Orphan Black did it 100 times.” That being said, both Carden and Schur acknowledged that there were multiple times during filming that the writers and crew would look at each other after shots and ask, “that was fun, but what if none of this makes any sense?”

• Love 1

Some love for William Jackson Harper from The AV Club:

https://tv.avclub.com/the-best-tv-performances-of-2018-1830914668

William Jackson Harper, The Good Place

D’Arcy Carden made a strong, 11th-hour push for the title of 2018’s Soul Squad MVP, but what William Jackson Harper lacks in episodes spent playing opposite himself (playing opposite himself playing opposite himself playing opposite himself playing opposite himself), he more than makes up for in time spent keeping The Good Place’s feet on the ground. That was a little easier once Chidi Anagonye and his fellow legions of the bureaucratically damned were pulled back to Earth in season three, and Chidi’s classroom became the launchpad for their second chance. But second chances mean second choices, which gives Harper even more indecision to mine, and eventually puts him in the spot of playing a man with a head full of information who must accept that said information can’t save him from an eternity of torture. It would follow that someone who spends so much time pondering would get big laughs from shouting questions into the sky; it’s one of Harper’s intangible gifts that he can wring so much feeling (and the occasional extra syllable) from his “what”s and “why”s. He’s so entertaining in panic mode, The Good Placewriters must be constantly tempted to throw hat decisions, break-up scenarios, and complete existential crises at Harper. But as he recently proved (with a big assist from Carden), when Chidi needs to step up and save someone he loves (and, you know, the whole universe), Harper can sell that with gusto, too. This is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors—with one “surprisingly jacked” exception. [Erik Adams]

Edited by marinw
  • Love 4

https://nypost.com/2018/12/17/how-streaming-has-saved-the-good-place-from-certain-death/

"  It’s one of primetime’s biggest mysteries: Why does afterlife sitcom “The Good Place” keep getting renewed — despite dismal weekly ratings?

NBC recently rewarded the series — starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson — with a fourth season, a head-scratcher given that “The Good Place” averages less than 3 million viewers per week.

But there’s more to the story, and this reveals how the TV landscape is changing.

“What you guys see are primarily the Nielsen numbers, and as a live show, ‘The Good Place’ is pretty low-rated,” says an industry source. “But the numbers move up for each week that you look at ‘The Good Place’. It’s one of NBC’s top shows on the digital side." "

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9

I am glad to see that networks are taking this into account when renewing shows. The Nielsen system has always been flawed, and it is becoming outright obsolete with the way modern folks watch TV. I watch almost NOTHING live, I DVR everything and watch it the next day. Sometimes it takes a few days to get through. Sometimes I let shows build up and watch them a few weeks later. But I don't know anyone who sits and watches a show live, unless they are really committed to live-tweeting about it.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I am glad to see that networks are taking this into account when renewing shows. The Nielsen system has always been flawed, and it is becoming outright obsolete with the way modern folks watch TV. I watch almost NOTHING live, I DVR everything and watch it the next day. Sometimes it takes a few days to get through. Sometimes I let shows build up and watch them a few weeks later.

It wouldn't surprise me to see networks become streaming services for all their shows. The more people DVR and watch on other platforms, the less they watch the ads. AT some point, advertisers are going to stop purchasing time when few people actually watch commercials.

19 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

But I don't know anyone who sits and watches a show live, unless they are really committed to live-tweeting about it.

I still do (not every show) and don't understand the idea of live tweeting. I can't watch an episode and at the same time read, react, formulate my thoughts, and then type them in all while the show is happening. Wow, I'm old.*

*And kids, get the hell off my lawn!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see networks become streaming services for all their shows. The more people DVR and watch on other platforms, the less they watch the ads. AT some point, advertisers are going to stop purchasing time when few people actually watch commercials.

I have felt, for a long time, that broadcast will soon exist only for sports and news.  I was a bit surprised to see this about this show, only because sitcoms seem to be the one scripted format where broadcast still has the upper hand.  But, then again, The Good Place is not your typical sitcom.

• Love 4
On 12/18/2018 at 5:30 PM, ClareWalks said:

I am glad to see that networks are taking this into account when renewing shows. The Nielsen system has always been flawed, and it is becoming outright obsolete with the way modern folks watch TV. I watch almost NOTHING live, I DVR everything and watch it the next day. Sometimes it takes a few days to get through. Sometimes I let shows build up and watch them a few weeks later. But I don't know anyone who sits and watches a show live, unless they are really committed to live-tweeting about it.

The funny thing for me about this, is that TGP is the one show that we actually watch live as long as both of us are home at that time (which is most of the time, because it's this show). Every other show we DVR and the same as you and the rest of the modern world. But I do agree. The answer to "Did you watch ______ last night?" at the water cooler, is probably "I worked late but I DVRed it and am going to watch when I get home today". And I'm glad they keep renewing TGP even though its Nielsen isn't great.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

how many more episodes will this season have?

There are 13 episodes this season. Sometimes you'll see it as 12 episodes b/c the first night it ran two. In any event, there are three episodes left and they are scheduled to air 1/10, 1/17, and the season finale on 1/24.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Part of the class includes an in-depth discussion with Mike Schur!! 

*begins to try to plot ways to convince my new university to allow me to teach a similar course*

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

Part of the class includes an in-depth discussion with Mike Schur!! 

*begins to try to plot ways to convince my new university to allow me to teach a similar course*

Regis Philbin is going to be so proud!

• Love 1

Dan Le Batard did a long interview with Mike Schur this week on his South Beach Sessions podcast this week. There was absolutely nothing about The Good Place -- I'm not sure Dan knew about the show at all -- but there was a lot of good stuff about his writing history and his overall philosophy. Mike's a big fan of Dan's show -- he wrote  along form piece about it last year -- and their camaraderie was great. 

A fun listen, even without ANY TGP stuff. 

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

This is so bittersweet. I love this show so much and will be heartbroken to see it end. But I love that Schur and co. are sticking to their vision. 

41D46D99-735E-431E-9159-EA3AF152940E.jpeg

Holy Mother Forking Shirt balls! This is the Bad Place!!

Bittersweet is exactly the right word. I'm sad that its ending because I love it and it brings me joy but I'm happy its not going to go on and on until its not good anymore. I'm happy that they get to tell their story the way they want. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 9

I'm kind of glad. Last season was not so great IMO, I think they just ran out of things to do. Better they wrap it up than run it into the ground.

• Love 10

Just heard.  While I'm sad to hear that the ride will be over soon, I'm glad that it is leaving on Mike Schur and the team's terms, and not getting canceled before whatever ending is planned.  And I can understand not wanting to stretch things out and risk turning the show into a drag: especially since one of this series' things is moving at a breakneck speed, where stories and conflicts that might normally be episodes long in other shows are resolved in one here.

Still, I will miss this show and I hope this early news means the cast will have time to find work once it is done.  I'm sure the likes of Kristen Bell and Ted Danson will always be in demand, but I hope William Jackson Harper, D'Arcy Carden, Jameela Jamil, and Manny Jacinto get some good offers going forward.

• Love 12

I'm glad they are wrapping it up on their own terms, NBC have given them space to execute their vision and aren't demanding endless seasons beyond what the concept can sustain. It is a great outcome as much as I will miss it. 

• Love 1