Type keyword(s) to search

Good Media: Articles, Clips, Previews, Reviews

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Oh, okay.  Thank you so much for letting me know!  I could have sworn I read that they didn't want to go past three seasons.  I wonder if they have a good resolution though if it doesn't get renewed after this season?  I don't think the ratings have been very good.  Then again, they are short seasons with only 13 episodes and a lot of critical acclaim, so perhaps NBC has agreed to let it play out regardless of ratings.

At the wrap party for season 3, Mike Schur said something to the cast—now I need to re-listen to the podcast to get my story straight—that made Marc Evan Jackson feel pretty confident that there will be a season four. It *seems* like NBC is a pretty big fan of the show and a pretty big fan of Mike Schur since they told him to essentially create whatever his heart desired. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a season four. 

But...even though we’ve ended on a cliffhanger at the end of both series, we’ve ended both times on Eleanor starting to make her way back to Chidi after a reboot. And we know how that always ends up, which is ultimately a super lovely and optimistic view of these humans. Hopefully season three doesn’t end on too big a cliffhanger of a more depressing nature in case NBC isn’t liking the numbers. 

• Love 3

Thank you for the additional info, Mockingbird!  I am normally greedy and want shows I like to keep going as long as possible... but, although I was at first resigned when I thought it was for sure ending after this season, I had recently found myself actually looking forward to seeing the resolution to the story this winter.  I now find I have mixed feelings at the thought of a fourth season.

This show has been quite the roller coaster ride!

• Love 1

NBC certainly seems behind the show, podcast, Comic Con, Instagram and Twitter presence, it would make sense to let the show complete its mission. I hope for season five and if Mike feels he's done, then he can tie it up with a bow.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2018 at 8:39 AM, LvHmBirth said:

From the New York Times magazine: The Ultimate Sitcom

I hope those who are interested in the show will read this -- pretty long but so many excellent details about the history of the show, how Mike Schur put it together originally, and the actors - both the pros and (Kristen and Ted D) and the people with  much shorter resumes.   There's a lot of insight about the production and it's philosophy (in every sense).  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LBS said:

This is one of my favorite things to read after the show.  They break down a lot of the visual gags.  

The chalkboard behind Janet cracked me up.  Eleanor went "6 weeks and 2 days without shoplifting"

https://tv.avclub.com/the-good-place-annotated-the-snowplow-1829695050

Vulture does it too.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/the-good-place-season-3-best-hidden-jokes-easter-eggs.html#comments

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, AnnaRose said:

Oh, okay.  Thank you so much for letting me know!  I could have sworn I read that they didn't want to go past three seasons.  I wonder if they have a good resolution though if it doesn't get renewed after this season?  I don't think the ratings have been very good.  Then again, they are short seasons with only 13 episodes and a lot of critical acclaim, so perhaps NBC has agreed to let it play out regardless of ratings.

I was just in here trying to find the original mention of Mike Schur's plan (didn't find it...). Does anyone else remember that? @AnnaRose, I thought it was three seasons too, but if they add Earth maybe they get to spend a seas in the Good Place too. I was happy that he had a clear plan and an ending in mind so that he wasn't going to be tempted to go on and on and on just for the ratings. I seem to remember that the clear end was what drew Ted Danson and Kristen Bell too.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, morakot said:

I was just in here trying to find the original mention of Mike Schur's plan (didn't find it...). Does anyone else remember that? @AnnaRose, I thought it was three seasons too, but if they add Earth maybe they get to spend a seas in the Good Place too. I was happy that he had a clear plan and an ending in mind so that he wasn't going to be tempted to go on and on and on just for the ratings. I seem to remember that the clear end was what drew Ted Danson and Kristen Bell too.

Thank you for posting that you remember it too.  I normally prefer shows I enjoy to keep going, but with this particular story I was relieved they had three seasons plotted out ending with a series' conclusion.  Now that it seems they will just keep the show going for as many seasons as the network will allow, I am very disappointed and am actually considering not watching it any more.

Edited by AnnaRose
Clarity.
  • Love 1

https://shadowandact.com/william-jackson-harper-conquered-a-top-5-fear-on-the-good-place-season-3-episode-4

And, as his fellow Bad Place alum Eleanor (Kristen Bell) would say: Holy motherforking shirtballs, Chidi! Under that stuffy sweater-vest and button-up combo, Chidi is ripped. 

Still, Harper wasn't thrilled about showing off his body on camera. 

"I do not like taking my shirt off ever in public, so, this episode, I'm facing one of my 5 biggest fears," he tells Shadow and Act just a few hours before the episode aired. "It was pretty nerve-wracking, honestly." 

The fear started when he was bullied in childhood. "I grew up sort of an awkward, chubby kid and I got made fun of a lot," says the 38-year-old actor and playwright. "It just sort of stays with you, even now at this age, as a very, very grown ass man, I'm still scared of it."

• Love 2

The Good Place was the answer (question) on Jeopardy! Friday (10/19/18).  "Somehow, the afterlife wouldn't be complete without Blake BOrtles on this NBC sitcom."  It was answered immediately, which also pleased me.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

The Interwebs are on fire regarding the greatest question of our time: Should Chidi Be That Jacked?

This ethical question is dealt w/ by giving reasons why he shouldn't and should be. Since articles like this aren't spoilers, I won't post the ultimate conclusion, but you have to read until the end for the definitive answer.

See, that article was fun, but it totally skimped on the case FOR Chidi being jacked. I'm a personal trainer. I know that guy. That "my anxiety keeps me up anyway, so I wake up at 4:30 every morning of my life to get in a couple hours at the gym because routine calms me" guy. He may have a personal trainer who tells him exactly what to do because it is less anxiety-inducing than having to pick out his own workout. As a college professor, and I have trained many, he probably is sick of having to teach others and just lets a trainer guide him through without having to think about it. That is SO Chidi.

• Love 7

I don't have time to read the articles now, but I must admit that seeing him so ripped took me out of the story.  I immediately felt like I was looking at actor William Jackson Harper and not nerdy bookworm philosophy professor Chidi.  I know an explanation can be fanwanked but I still don't see Chidi the character in that shirtless scene.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, no. Tried it. Was bored. 

Like Parks and Rec, it took me a solid season to get into Brooklyn Nine Nine, but now I love it dearly. The whole show is worth a watch solely for Andre Braugher's Captain Holt, but the whole ensemble is great. 

I think one of the main reasons I'm such a Mike Schur show fan is summed up pretty beautifully in this article: https://www.avclub.com/the-good-places-the-uncommonly-decent-tv-worlds-of-mic-1818561418 

• Love 5

Even worse than I thought, if the schedules I just checked are right, they're skipping two weeks, coming back with just one episode, then off for a month before coming back for the final three, in a new time slot. How does that make sense? 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, BobH said:

Even worse than I thought, if the schedules I just checked are right, they're skipping two weeks, coming back with just one episode, then off for a month before coming back for the final three, in a new time slot. How does that make sense? 

I was going to say something about 'scheduling monkeys' but then I remembered that mokneys are intelligent, social creatures and this is straight madness!!

• Love 3

Mike Schur was on a sports and pop culture podcast called "At Large" this week. A lot of sports crossover conversation about The Good Place, and also some fun stuff about "Parks and Rec," Mike mentioned The Shield's narrative propulsion as an inspiration for his writing and talked about how he divulges the plot twists on the show to his main cast members. Fun listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/id1441787165

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/I4c2gihcj4r374xxuotp2k4tm3a

So, I'm getting my post-PT icedown watching their TV tuned to ESPN, which I normally would not watch, and a banner flashes up: Jaguars bench Blake Bortles. I think, "Jason will not be happy about that!" I was cracking up, everyone probably thought I was nuts.

Did a search when I got home and USA Today did not disappoint: "Everyone made 'The Good Place' jokes about Blake Bortles getting benched"  The twitterverse was trending! Even Mike Schur got into the act. Poor Blake. BORTLES!

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 1

If you follow Marc Evan Jackson on Twitter, he posted that NBC is giving away a set visit and lunch with Marc (!) if you donate money to his cause. I read the teeny, tiny writing in the post and noticed that it said if the show gets cancelled you will get a visit to another show. How disappointing!

I feel like this renewal and the saving of Brooklyn 99 has earned NBC more than enough points to get into the Good Place. 

I know some people have been disappointed in this season (or at least in the time on earth), but I still love this show dearly and can’t wait to see where Team Cockroach goes next. 

• Love 9

It's nice its been renewed, but I can't think of what storyline they're going to have. To be honest, I am not enjoying this season nearly as much as the previous ones, & I think it's because they don't have a good story, it really feels like they're stretching what they've got. 

• Love 5