Type keyword(s) to search

Good Media: Articles, Clips, Previews, Reviews

Motherforking shirtballs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While the selfish part of me wants The Good Place to go on forever, I'm glad that they're going out on their own terms.

Now I've got my white chocolate covered jumbo shrimp, so......when does season four start? 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, fork.

I did think they would make it five seasons, but we knew this was coming. Mike

has said this before on podcasts (always listen to Mike on podcasts!)—he thinks a lot of shows would do better with limited seasons. I know he’s right, but it’s still hard!

• Love 2

It looks like the show is at least ending on its own terms which is a good thing.  Plus this show was never a ratings hit so it was always in danger of a sudden cancelation.  It is good that the show will be able to write itself a proper finale.

• Love 2

Interview with Mike Schur

What was the cast's reaction to the show's abbreviated lifespan?

They were surprised and saddened but then quickly not surprised or saddened because it's been really fun to make this show. They get along really well and have all become really good friends. They've have this special journey that they've been on and their careers are all exploding. Ted and Kristen came with pre-exploded careers but Manny [Jacinto] is in Top Gun and Will [Jackson Harper] is writing plays and appearing in movies and Jameela [Jamil] is the queen of the internet right now. And D'Arcy [Carden] is everywhere and in every magazine. This has been a very special, highly concentrated thing that we've gotten to do for 53 episodes — because we're doing 14 episodes this season and doing an hourlong series finale. We're just chewing up story at an incredibly fast rate and it immediately makes sense that we would want to get out on our own terms and not feel like we were throttling back and moving more slowly or deliberately than we have to this point. That just wouldn't seem like the same show. So we're going full tilt until the end. Everybody at the end of the day is happy that we're going to end it the way we started it: at a breakneck speed, with a lot of crazy, wild twists and turns.

Bittersweet, yes. Hour-long finale? As a series finale, that's truly The Good Place. 

• Love 7

I will miss the show desperately but as long as I can watch it somewhere (streaming or dvds), I can handle it.  It is truly one of my favorite go tos when I feel glum.  I can pick just about any episode and feel better by watching.  There is something to be said for leaving on your own terms and this talented cast will be fun to watch in other projects.  That being said, D'Arcy Carden needs to get an Emmy nomination before the show ends.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

There is something to be said for leaving on your own terms and this talented cast will be fun to watch in other projects.  That being said, D'Arcy Carden needs to get an Emmy nomination before the show ends.

So say we all.

• Love 3

I doubt Mike Schur was still writing on The Office, but hopefully he learned a lesson when the final three or four season were horrible. The show should have ended when Michael Scott left. I'm starting to feel better about not having TGP around, I just hope this season is boffo great!

TBH I think each season has been worse than the prior one, so I don't have much hope for this one being very good.  I might just catch the finale to see how it all ends.

• Love 1

Serialized shows do very poorly in syndication, where on Earth do you see The Sopranos on TV now? You don't, besides HBO Go. TGP has gotten most of its viewership from Netflix, where, Mike has explained, you can just binge a bunch of episodes and don't have to wait a week to see what happens next.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

From what I understand, I guess the 100 episode mark is not the threshold anymore for syndication, so I guess ending it at whatever point it feels organic is good.  It still hurts though.

80 episodes is the typical minimum threshold for syndication, with 88 being preferred, and 100 being what they would love.

The Good Place is not a show that would do well in syndication, you can't just skip around. Netflix is where it does well - it is a good show for streaming services

• Love 2

5 Emmy Nominations:

Best Comedy Series (finally!)

Best Actor - Danson

Best Guest Actress - Rudolph

Best Writing - "Janet(s)"

Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media (for the "Enteractive Fan Experience")

D'Arcy Carden was robbed.

• Love 15
28 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

While I'm very happy to see the show get more of the recognition it so richly deserves, this omission is inexcusable. With one more season to go, they better remedy this next year. Or I will personally banish the whole lot of them to wherever Trevor ends up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

5 Emmy Nominations:

Best Comedy Series (finally!)

Best Actor - Danson

Best Guest Actress - Rudolph

Best Writing - "Janet(s)"

Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media (for the "Enteractive Fan Experience")

To have D’Arcy there ANNOUNCING the noms feels extra shirty. She was amazing all season but “Janet(s)” should have clinched her the win by itself. 

• Love 7

Yes, confused about Maya, she's funny, but....c'mon.

D'Arcy deserved a nom. She knows we all love her though, I hope she's consoled.

Barry had a strong year, but as usual, I hope Ted wins.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, Mockingbird said:

To have D’Arcy there ANNOUNCING the noms feels extra shirty. She was amazing all season but “Janet(s)” should have clinched her the win by itself. 

But D’Arcy would be in Supporting Actress, not Guest.  She's not in competition with Maya Rudolph.

I wish somebody called out the show’s poor record of using their poc characters. You don’t get points for having a diverse cast and just having most of them do nothing. And if Chidi wasn’t so tied to Eleanor then I’d bet he’d be just as poorly used as Tahani and Jason. 

8 hours ago, wingster55 said:

And if Chidi wasn’t so tied to Eleanor then I’d bet he’d be just as poorly used as Tahani and Jason.

I think you may have cause and effect reversed. Chidi is tied to Eleanor as a way to use him. Prior experience matters and, among other work, WJH has more episodes of The Electric Company to his credit than he has so far on this series. They cast relative unknowns for Tahani and Jason.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, Loandbehold said:

Remember dinks, tonight at 9 PM (EDT - check local listings for time and date in your area) is The Paley Center Salute to The Good Place.

For some reason, it didn't register with me that this was on NBC, not some random cable channel, so I didn't watch/record.  Fortunately it's on the NBC app that came with my tv - I'm assuming it's also on their website.  It was a little hard to find, though, had to search on P-A-L, it didn't show up for me with the other Good Place episodes/extras.  Dinks.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

For some reason, it didn't register with me that this was on NBC, not some random cable channel, so I didn't watch/record.  Fortunately it's on the NBC app that came with my tv - I'm assuming it's also on their website.  It was a little hard to find, though, had to search on P-A-L, it didn't show up for me with the other Good Place episodes/extras.  Dinks.

It's also on Hulu under The Paley Center Salutes The Good Place.

• Useful 2
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was hoping they would throw in a previous season recap, but I think I remember roughly where they left off.

There's a video online (NBC & Hulu; I'm not sure about Netflix) called "Every Forking Season". About a 3-minute recap.

• Useful 2

I swear I could watch a hundred hours of Good Place behind the scenes, highlights, deleted and alternate scenes.  There better be a big box set released next year with multiple extra discs, and not make us wait for a twentieth anniversary re-release (though I do also want a twentieth re-release, maybe with multiple commentary tracks for every episode.  Do TV box sets still do commentary tracks?).

• Love 6