Type keyword(s) to search

Good Media: Articles, Clips, Previews, Reviews

(edited)

Official Trailer:

"THE GOOD PLACE"

From Michael Schur, executive producer of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," "Parks and Recreation" and "The Office," comes a smart, unique new comedy that follows Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell, "House of Lies," "Veronica Mars"), an ordinary woman who, through an extraordinary string of events, enters the afterlife where she comes to realize that she hasn't been a very good person. With the help of her wise newfound afterlife mentor (Ted Danson, "Bored to Death," "Cheers"), she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome (or at least the pretty good) person within. Directed by Drew Goddard, the Oscar-nominated writer of "The Martian."

The cast includes Kristen Bell, Ted Danson, William Jackson Harper, Jameela Jamil, Manny Jacinto and D'Arcy Carden.

Michael Schur serves as writer and executive producer. David Miner also executive produces. Drew Goddard directs. "The Good Place" is produced by Universal Television and 3 Arts Entertainment.

Please visit the official show site at http://www.nbc.com/the-good-place Facebook: Facebook.com/NBCTheGoodPlace Twitter: @nbcthegoodplace Hashtag: #GoodPlace

Edited by Just Here
(edited)

That Variety article does give me some more confidence that this series can sustain itself.

I've pulled out some plot and premise-related details:

But there’s a twist: Eleanor learns that a clerical mistake has been made, and she’s not supposed to be in the good place. She can’t let this be known, given the alternative. So she has to hide in plain sight — and somehow try to be a better person.

There are twists baked into every half hour, with a beginning, middle, and end story arc that will unfold over the course of the 13-episode season. NBC bought it in the room — and agreed to take it straight to series.

Asked to compare “The Good Place” to another show on TV, [Bell] says, “I’d say it’s like a super-comedic version of ‘The Americans,’ because there are a lot of secrets. It’s the most lighthearted version of ‘The Americans’ you can get.”

It’s all but impossible to pin anyone down on specifics of the plot — Schur’s adamant about preserving surprises for the viewer. Teases Salke, “It’s the afterlife, so anyone can show up.”

The sneak attacks occur in nearly every episode. “Mike is so committed to making every end-of-show feel like an end-of-series, to build that momentum every episode, to try to really pull the rug out from underneath the audience,” says Bell.

Edited by Just Here

The only issue I have with the way Mike Schur expresses his pitch for this is that it seems to be based on a notion that this has never been done before. If I were interviewing him at that point I definitely would have asked him if he was an Albert Brooks fan or not. Not debating this is likely to go very different places than the Brooks film, but Schur should be more careful with that statement when he talks up the show. 

• Love 1

TVLine gives the pilot a "B+" rating.

The review also included this vague hint regarding a deeper plot arc:

The pilot does veer off in a strange direction in the final act, though, with Eleanor’s unauthorized presence in the Good Place leading to some surreal (and terrifying) consequences. It’s not clear just how special-effects-heavy the show will be on a weekly basis (only the pilot was available for review) — and it’s also not clear how Eleanor’s story can be stretched to a full season, let alone multiple seasons.

Yeah. I hadn't dare hoped they get into exploring the actual nature of what it means to be (vs. do) good. That's a pretty heavy concept, and if they have to use fart jokes and such to "sell" people on the show enough to slip that in there? Then I'm all for fart jokes (they may not literally be fart jokes, I just mean the slapstick/broad humor elements I've seen a few people assume they're going to hate about this). 

Saw this in an article about Superstore's back-nine pickup:

As for The Good Place, which logged a 1.4 Adults 18-49 rating behind Superstore last night after a strong preview behind The Voice on Monday (2.3), the high-concept comedy created by Mike Schur was designed for a limited 13-episode run, so there is no Back 9 order in play for it; it will be vying straight for a Season 2 renewal down the line.

Adam Scott will appearing next episode.  There keeping whoever he is playing under wraps, but it says it will be a multi-episode arc, so I imagine he'll have some importance to the story.  Either way, I can already picture of Ben Wyatt-ish reaction shots or lines to all the craziness that will no doubt go on in these upcoming episodes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, enlightenedbum said:

Sepinwall finally got to talk to Schur about the finale.  They discuss the twist obviously and in some vague generalities plans for next season.  There's one maybe mild spoiler he reveals, which I'll put below.

Danson and Bell knew the twist from the start, which makes sense.

Hide contents

The Medium Place is real and is basically as it was shown.

I was just coming to share this. I'm glad Schur gave some solid answers (such as the spoiler noted above).

• Love 1

Anthony Anderson (Black-ish), Kevin Bacon (I Love Dick), Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta), Ted Danson (The Good Place), William H. Macy (Shameless), and Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) at the Hollywood Reporter's comedy actor roundtable:

On 1/19/2017 at 5:37 PM, Traveller519 said:

I'm really hoping all "old" people are in another neighbourhood, I'd rather that than trying to retcon that some of these people were 90 year olds who passed away and now are in their younger body.

This sounds like the comment of a fairly young person because nobody 90 needs to be hanging around forever in that body, that would be hell, also putting them in another neighborhood where no one has to look at them has disturbing implications.

• Love 2

Well, since the neighborhood was filled with employees from whatever place it is Michael works, I just assumed all the older employees have since retired and were unavailable to play in Michael's Experimental Prototype Afterlife of Torture. (Sorry, planning my Disney trip so I've got Disney on the brain lol). Anyway, having the whole thing be an experiment kind of solves the whole no old people, no young children thing.

• Love 1

There's even a semi-canonical answer (IMO showrunner answers outside the actual text of the show aren't quite as canon as what we really see in the show) about how long "attempt 2" has been running!

Also, Schur mentions that there may be longer cuts coming in the future, just as NBC did for s1.

• Love 1

Gag Reels are inherently lame.

The Good Place's Season 1 Gag Reel is no exception, but despite that lameness still has some good moments in it (mostly Ted Danson moments).

Edited by Kromm