Type keyword(s) to search

Rings Like A Bell: The Cast Topic

I was able to set aside anything I know about Kelsey Grammer long enough to watch the movie and I must admit that I really enjoyed it, in its formulaic, check-your-brain-at-the-door sort of way. Kristen Bell is fun to watch as usual and the game show sequence on the cruise ship was genuinely funny. I did notice that the NY Times gave it a basically positive review, but weirdly seemed to think the film was a vehicle for Grammer and that Kristen Bell (who got top billing) hadn't done anything since Veronica Mars and was just sort of there.

My spouse and I finally started watching this series last week, and we've already powered through the first two seasons.  The entire series is amazingly well-cast, but the player who has most inspired my awe is Ted Danson.  I'm old enough to remember his first big turn as the hunky lead on Cheers.  My impression of him was always "He's fine, he's funny, he's affable, he's nice to look at" (although I find his craggy features infinitely more handsome when paired with gray hair and glasses). In the decades between Cheers and The Good Place, I never took notice of him simply because I was never interested in whatever it was he was doing.  So--WOW. What a revelation for me to discover so late in his career what an intelligent and versatile performer he is! Not to mention how well he matches his costars' physical and emotional energy despite being 71 (???) years old.

• Love 9

He's 70. Also check out Bored to Death, an HBO show that ran 3 seasons. I went to see a panel with him, Zack Galifianakis and Jason Schwartzman (the other stars of the show). The three of them seem to really adore each other.

• Love 3

We have a new IT guy at work.

His name is Derek.

Everytime someone says his name, I repeat it like Jason Mantzoukas does.

I am not ashamed of this, though Derek is starting to wonder if I'm ever going to ask him a question.

• Love 8

I am getting to really love Eugene Cordero (Pillboi!) It's not really a role, but I heard him on a Beatles podcast. He is a friend of the podcaster, and they listened in real time to several different Beatles albums. Eugene was really funny and had great questions about he music. It was really entertaining.

I just realized today I had seen both Ted Danson and Kristen Bell in person separately!  Back in 1993 Danson was filming a movie called "Getting Even With Dad" starring Macaulay Culkin here in San Francisco and they were filming in a bakery near my high school. I was just walking by and saw him just a few feet away inside a through the door! He was wearing a ponytail for the part. He was the first celebrity I saw in person. I was like "Wow, Sam Malone!" They were filming here:

7fdd97bd747aa012eb496a010fd391f3b4320a5c

In 2005 the cast of Veronica Mars were signing autographs at the Metreon theater/shopping area downtown and I was a big fan of the show so I waited in the long line and got an autograph. When I got the table with the actors I told Enrico Colantoni(who played Veronica's dad Keith) much I liked his recent guest appearance on Monk and then when I got to tell Kristen Bell I told her "You're great."  I still have the autographs:
999d331019431364.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

If anyone also watches Big Bang theory, I think ‘Mindy St Clair’ guested as a bonkers scientist. Anyone else notice and think so? The voice is what caught my attention.

Good eyes (or ears)! Per Imdb, Maribeth Monroe played Dr. Lee on TBBT.

On 10/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, cpcathy said:

He was so good in Body Heat, one of his first films. He's the DA who is also buddies with protagonist William Hurt, you can see him slowly figuring out the crime Hurt has committed.

YES!  That scene on the boardwalk when he's essentially telling Ned (William Hurt) that he was set up by Maddy (Kathleen Turner) was chilling.

I guess I'm in the minority, but Kristen Bell to me in this role feels like Kristin Bell acting like she's a mean girl.  I never feel like I'm watching an Eleanor, just Kristen Bell trying to pull of a previously horrible person and trying to be comedic while doing it.  I could picture a Lea Remini-type actress pulling it off so much better.  I know Bell is talented, but I just don't like her in this role nor do I feel like she's convincing.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3

The very last bit at the end got me, where she was told she was "too old, too fat, too ethnic" to make it in Hollywood.  I have to say, she is one of the most beautiful women I see on TV--how narrow is the view of us in the world, and how much are we responsible for forwarding that narrative.  It's part of the same narrative she's attacking, I think, in which she wants a deaf role to go to a deaf actress, but says that the fact of deafness (or other difference) should be part of the story, not all of the story.

• Love 5
On 1/21/2019 at 6:14 AM, Melina22 said:

Wow. Too fat? Really? Agreed that she's absolutely gorgeous. 

She’s been fat shamed online. Which is a ridiculous commentary on society/online trolls/humanity. She’s awesome in every way.

• Love 1

I'm often completely distracted by how beautiful Jamila Jameel is, and then she starts talking, and I'm completely distracted by how funny she is, and so on and so on.  It's like a non-vicious circle!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ailianna said:

I'm often completely distracted by how beautiful Jamila Jameel is, and then she starts talking, and I'm completely distracted by how funny she is, and so on and so on.  It's like a non-vicious circle!

“Aluminum”

• Love 2

D'Arcy Carden is a guest on the latest "Lovett or Leave It" podcast (warning: podcast may contain strong political opinions). She did a bit where she played a drunkish LA substitute teacher. Sounded a little bit like Janet on maganets :)

On 10/10/2018 at 12:46 PM, cpcathy said:

He's 70. Also check out Bored to Death, an HBO show that ran 3 seasons. I went to see a panel with him, Zack Galifianakis and Jason Schwartzman (the other stars of the show). The three of them seem to really adore each other.

Loved that show, really noticed his comic chops, because I mostly recall him being a straight man to set up jokes for other characters in Cheers.

He’s  also great on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

And for something completely different, in a dramatic role where he plays a heavy, check out the season he was on Damages, starring Glenn Close.

• Love 1

Ahahahahahaha. In "Barry", Kirby Howell-Baptiste plays a British struggling actor in LA, and in s02e01 she has a conversation with Barry where she says she'd never play an Australian.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

She was very funny, she got to use language that is normally reserved for "motherforking."

Ted has been moonlighting on The Orville.  It's notable that he and creator Seth MacFarlane went to the same boarding school (but not at the same time!)

William Jackson Harper is in this summer’s thriller “Midsommar.” His character’s named Josh, but he so does not look like a Josh. I called him Chidi the entire movie. 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:50 AM, Gurkel said:

William Jackson Harper is in this summer’s thriller “Midsommar.” His character’s named Josh, but he so does not look like a Josh. I called him Chidi the entire movie. 

I came here to post that too. It took me a while to be sure it was him. Probably because the story and his character where so completely different to this show. Although he was writing a thesis in the movie, that's the one similarity I suppose.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Although he was writing a thesis in the movie, that's the one similarity I suppose.

26 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Oh no! He's been typecast as a thesis writer hahahaha 

Was the first chapter 1000 pages long? And, did the second chapter start, "On the other hand ..."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

D’Arcy, Jameela, and Marc were on the most recent episode of Hollywood Game Night. D’Arcy and Marc showed off their musical skills, everyone was super charming, and I have strong feelings about the result of the deciding game. 

22 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Was the first chapter 1000 pages long? And, did the second chapter start, "On the other hand ..."

😄
He had only just started it in the movie, but it seemed he had a good plan for it.