Type keyword(s) to search

Rings Like A Bell: The Cast Topic

I've figured out who the actress playing Tahani reminds me of. Is anyone here familiar with Miranda Hart? She's a British comedian, and has had her own TV series there. She also played Chummy in "Call the Midwife" and last year played Nancy, Melissa McCarthy's agency sidekick in the movie "Spy".

Edited by JeanneH
27 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

I've figured out who the actress playing Tahani reminds me of. Is anyone here familiar with Miranda Hart? She's a British comedian, and has had her own TV series there. She also played Chummy in "Call the Midwife" and last year played Nancy, Melissa McCarthy's agency sidekick in the movie "Spy".

Er. Say what?  Jameela Jamil and Miranda Hart?  

Do you mean their manner of speech?  Sounding posh?  Physically I'm not seeing it even a smidge, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark here. 

• Love 2

I posted this in an episode thread, but if we ARE also considering here who Jameela Jamil SOUNDS like (vs. what came up later, who D'Arcy Carden LOOKS like), please note that Jamil is not using her real accent on the show. Here's what she actually sounds like (far less plummy/posh). 

I'd love to see Ken Marino pop up as a guest star. Then we can confirm that he really is following Kristen Bell. It was kinda cool--and creepy--to see him go from being the shifty-eyed private eye on Veronica Mars to her love interest on House of Lies

• Love 5

That would be awesome. And recently, he's been guesting, like, everywhere, anyway. I've just seen him as the new captain on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, on the heels of last season's iZombie and Agent Carter roles.

Interestingly, I couldn't watch House of Lies despite generally loving Kristen Bell. I just heard she was Don Cheadle's love interest and went all "Ewww" (sorry, Don Cheadle fans). And nothing I heard about the show made me want to check it out.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, FurryFury said:

That would be awesome. And recently, he's been guesting, like, everywhere, anyway. I've just seen him as the new captain on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, on the heels of last season's iZombie and Agent Carter roles.

Interestingly, I couldn't watch House of Lies despite generally loving Kristen Bell. I just heard she was Don Cheadle's love interest and went all "Ewww" (sorry, Don Cheadle fans). And nothing I heard about the show made me want to check it out.

Yeah, 'House of Lies' wasn't for everyone. You had to be able to tolerate humor that comes with a lot of profanity--and a dose of vulgarity. Kristen Bell was great, and while I could never imagine her and Don Cheadle as a couple IRL, on the show it worked. They had great chemistry as co-workers and then lovers. 

On 10/3/2016 at 7:06 PM, Traveller519 said:

I'm amazed this is Jameela Jamil's first acting credit. Not only is it a sizable get for someone who's media career has excluded acting, but she's really nailing the character!

On 1/31/2017 at 11:21 PM, dcalley said:

Bambadjan is played by ... Bambadjan Bamba! What a great name.

What great alliteration. 

40 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Chidi has an important supporting role in Jim Jarmusch's new film Paterson. (Which we really liked.)

Cool. I need to see it. 

• Love 1

Hey, looks like "Janet" made it to Hamilton after all

And a Good Place joke from Lin-Manuel Miranda.  Maybe we'll get a musical episode of the show with a guest appearance. 

• Love 9
On 10/29/2017 at 5:21 AM, TheOtherOne said:

Boy, they weren't kidding around about keeping the story secret and avoiding spoilers, huh?

From the commentary on the Season 1 DVDs, one can learn that it was a secret even to those auditioning: the "sides" they were sent had specially created lines that could reveal an actor's suitability for a role, but nothing that would reveal the content of the show itself. That was divulged only after the actor was hired.

That Electric Company bit is delightful, as is much of William Jackson Harper's work on that series (as far as my DVR has managed to dig it up for me). But that's nearly his only prior screen credit. He did a bit of prestigious stage work, but nothing long-running or high-profile. As that same DVD commentary remarks, he was on the verge of quitting acting before he was cast as Chidi.

Kristen Bell will be hosting this January's SAG Awards.

From the Variety write-up:

Executive Producer Kathy Connell made the announcement on Monday.

“We are delighted to have Kristen Bell as the first-ever host of the SAG Awards,” Connell said. “This has been a year in which assumptions have been challenged, stereotypes have been shattered, and precedents have been broken. We decided to capture the cultural mood by casting aside one of our own traditions, and we’re thrilled to have such a talented performer like Bell help us do so.”

“I am honored to be part of the SAG Awards, and am a little nervous about being its first-ever host,” Bell said. “I’m so glad that I’ll be in the company of my fellow actors, many of whom I’ve worked with before, so I know they’ll be warm and supportive. It’s going to be an amazing night.”

Edited by Just Here
auto-formatting woes
  • Love 3

Jameela Jamil is on a humor podcast (International Waters at www.maximumfun.com) this week and she's pretty funny in it.  You might want to check it out.  

I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if there is any Good Place discussion (the podcast has a game show format) but it's worth it just for the story of how she almost gave Mary Berry food poisoning on a celebrity edition of the GBBO.

I just binge watched Brooklyn Nine Nine last month for the first time, and it wasn't until tonight's premiere that I placed the actor for Shawn here as Captain Holt's husband, Kevin there. Also, Derek here is Adrian Pimento there. I mean, it makes sense since the showrunner is the same, but it's fascinating to see. 

I guess, at some point, going back to continue with Parks and Rec would be a good idea. 

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

guess, at some point, going back to continue with Parks and Rec would be a good idea. 

Mark Evans Jackson plays Trevor Nelson a lawyer for Dr. Saperstein and the Newport Family Trust and Jason Manzoutkus plays Dennis Feinstein a fragrance maker.

• Love 2

This was the week I noticed that Shawn = Kevin, and it made me laugh -- not only that I hadn't noticed before, but also thinking of Captain Holt's husband and Michael's demon boss as the same person for a moment. I don't know why I didn't notice it before!

Jason Manzoutkus I noticed immediately. He plays every role pretty much the same. He was a little less bluntly stupid on P&R, and a little more wild on B99, but basically he's got schtick he only shades slightly when he changes shows. It's kind of like Michael Cera, in that it's a distinctive schtick that if you like, you'll like wherever he does it, but if you don't like it, it just really seems incredibly obvious and irritating when it reappears.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 11:35 AM, rab01 said:

Jameela Jamil is on a humor podcast (International Waters at www.maximumfun.com) this week and she's pretty funny in it.  You might want to check it out.  

I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if there is any Good Place discussion (the podcast has a game show format) but it's worth it just for the story of how she almost gave Mary Berry food poisoning on a celebrity edition of the GBBO.

I saw that episode! Michael Sheen was one of the other celebs.

Saw this on the Twitterverse and it made me so happy to see Jason/Manny get to see the Jags go to the playoffs. I guess the Jason is a Jags fan thing must have come from Manny?

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 7
On 1/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, TheOtherOne said:

Loooooove that Manny went to the game. I think Jason's fandom came from Schur and Joe Mande though. These tweets made me laugh out loud:

Schur is described as a Pats fan in a lot of recent articles though, so it's probably not from him.

3 hours ago, Kromm said:

Schur is described as a Pats fan in a lot of recent articles though, so it's probably not from him.

That's exactly why it probably is from him. The joke is that Jason is an idiot and the team and its quarterback are terrible. It wouldn't make sense for a fan to pick his own team for such a joke. Of course a Patriots fan would pick the Jaguars to build the gag around.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

D'Arcy gives such adorable interviews.

I think I watched her on Conan(?) and I remember just never wanting it to end. Which is the same way I feel when Kristen Bell, Adam Scott or Mike Schur are being interviewed, so she's in good (Place) company.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, VCRTracking said:

I hope Kristen Bell does a movie with George Wendt next.

So... I was looking for something to watch that didn't require a lot of brain cells, and Netflix recommended what turned out to be this film - apparently I caught it on opening night. Not all the way done, but I'm not sure it's quite as bad as the reviews seem to agree on (how are they all out there already??), but yeah, not exactly in Oscar contention   Kristen Bell seems to be playing an Eleanore-ish character.  Lol - so is the theory that she's working her way through the cast of Cheers?

• Love 1