Type keyword(s) to search

Current Timeline: News and Media

6 hours ago, MrSmith said:

It might do better in the ratings being a summer show. It won't have all the regular season shows to compete with. Just like Kyle XY on ABC Family was a great summer show and did great in the ratings. Then, ABC Family moved it to the regular season and the show tanked. And my wife and I were like, "Well, DUH. It's a summer show and it's very good, but it's not good enough against regular season shows." Kyle XY is a show we still miss, all these years later.

Kyle XY is very happily married now. He and his husband adopted a kid, too. I loved the show for its first two years, too. Such a shame what happened to Cory Montieth- I was so excited to see someone from that show hit it big (even though it wasn't Matt Dallas or April Matson).

I guess they were able to maintain the budget because it's 6 episodes less?

7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Kyle XY is very happily married now. He and his husband adopted a kid, too. I loved the show for its first two years, too. Such a shame what happened to Cory Montieth- I was so excited to see someone from that show hit it big (even though it wasn't Matt Dallas or April Matson).

I guess they were able to maintain the budget because it's 6 episodes less?

You do realize that Jaimie Alexander has hit it big, right? She played Jessi XX and has played Sif in the Thor movies, is currently in Blindspot as the tattooed Jane Doe, and has been in several other movies (most of which I have not seen). Many of the rest of the cast on that show have lengthy careers, mostly in television. While they haven't become big stars in blockbuster movies, I'd say they're doing pretty well. Several have had guest spots on Supernatural, which I also watch and so that's been fun to see them pop into that show. Kirsten Prout was actually in the movie Elektra the year before Kyle XY started.

(edited)
17 hours ago, MrSmith said:

You do realize that Jaimie Alexander has hit it big, right? She played Jessi XX and has played Sif in the Thor movies, is currently in Blindspot as the tattooed Jane Doe, and has been in several other movies (most of which I have not seen). Many of the rest of the cast on that show have lengthy careers, mostly in television. While they haven't become big stars in blockbuster movies, I'd say they're doing pretty well. Several have had guest spots on Supernatural, which I also watch and so that's been fun to see them pop into that show. Kirsten Prout was actually in the movie Elektra the year before Kyle XY started.

Right, but Glee came before Blindspot. I was excited in 2009-2010 to see someone from the show hit it big to the point they were on the cover of Rolling Stone

They've all been working actors and have done pretty well but Cory was the first one from the cast to actually be a leading part of a big pop culture phenom.

Edited by methodwriter85

In an interview I saw not too long ago (I think maybe it was in Parade magazine -- that Sunday newspaper supplement), Mark Hamill gave Timeless a plug, saying it was his current favorite show to watch with his family.

It does seem like they positioned the show badly. They scheduled it and treated it like it was an edgy, conspiracy-laden adult sci-fi drama. But these days those are a dime a dozen between network TV, cable, and streaming, and most of the cable and streaming ones are bigger-budget and higher quality, with much more "edge." But this show works well as semi-educational family fun viewing, and there's precious little of that these days. It's the kind of thing parents and kids can watch together and then go look up the historical events and historical figures. I'm hoping that they schedule and promote the second season that way, and I wonder if they'll rerun the first season sometime before season two, since there's such a huge gap between seasons.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

But this show works well as semi-educational family fun viewing, and there's precious little of that these days. It's the kind of thing parents and kids can watch together and then go look up the historical events and historical figures.

I just binge-watched with my mom while visiting with her. Not that we're the ages you're referring to for 'parents and kids', but she did remark at least once an episode "I didn't know that" or "Wait, is that true?" so you're totally right on people looking things up and learning. She pretty much agreed that all they have to do to market it better as a family show is cut down on all the guns/shooting. Nothing else is really over the top.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Randomosity said:

I just binge-watched with my mom while visiting with her. Not that we're the ages you're referring to for 'parents and kids', but she did remark at least once an episode "I didn't know that" or "Wait, is that true?" so you're totally right on people looking things up and learning. She pretty much agreed that all they have to do to market it better as a family show is cut down on all the guns/shooting. Nothing else is really over the top.

Why would they need to cut down on the guns/shooting? It's already very mild as is. It's basically no gunfire as is, no blood, except Rufus after he got shot. Most of the time it is just pointing their guns at each other and not firing.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Why would they need to cut down on the guns/shooting? It's already very mild as is. It's basically no gunfire as is, no blood, except Rufus after he got shot. Most of the time it is just pointing their guns at each other and not firing.

That's true.  Wyatt is a member of Delta Force.  Yet he could fire a shot into the ground and miss.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, bros402 said:

Blood, maybe not tons, but a bunch (and more than just Rufus... Wyatt, Bonnie/Clyde, the French guy killed by the Shawnee, 'Tonto', etc.). Shooting? Yeah, there's a lot - Bonnie/Clyde, Jesse James, BamBam, shootout after sneaking out the Doc, etc.. YMMV. I mean, I don't care, but things like that may well prevent parents of kids from letting them watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 1
17 hours ago, bros402 said:

I think the bone-crunching hand-to-hand brawls are a little more disturbing. They have some pretty nasty fights.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Randomosity said:

Blood, maybe not tons, but a bunch (and more than just Rufus... Wyatt, Bonnie/Clyde, the French guy killed by the Shawnee, 'Tonto', etc.). Shooting? Yeah, there's a lot - Bonnie/Clyde, Jesse James, BamBam, shootout after sneaking out the Doc, etc.. YMMV. I mean, I don't care, but things like that may well prevent parents of kids from letting them watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately for them, that's just the way most of history has gone.  Few and far between have been the "kumbaya" moments -- and they've usually only lasted for about five minutes at a time.

6 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think the bone-crunching hand-to-hand brawls are a little more disturbing. They have some pretty nasty fights.

Yeah, they could make the fights a bit like bone crunchy, that's just a matter of the sound guys then

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Unfortunately for them, that's just the way most of history has gone.  Few and far between have been the "kumbaya" moments -- and they've usually only lasted for about five minutes at a time.

Well, yeah, for political history. But a) they still don't have to show so much if they really want to market to families in an earlier timeslot. And b) there's more to history that they could show than politics/wars/bad guys like Jesse James. Like, uh oh, someone kidnapped Marie Curie! Watch out for that radiation! Or whoops, someone stopped Alexander Graham Bell from doing his research, and now all the phone companies are named after someone else.

Like I said, I don't care either way; I will watch regardless. Just playing devil's advocate. (Although I do like they idea of more sciencey/technological aspects of history being shown.)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Randomosity said:

Well, yeah, for political history. But a) they still don't have to show so much if they really want to market to families in an earlier timeslot. And b) there's more to history that they could show than politics/wars/bad guys like Jesse James. Like, uh oh, someone kidnapped Marie Curie! Watch out for that radiation! Or whoops, someone stopped Alexander Graham Bell from doing his research, and now all the phone companies are named after someone else.

Like I said, I don't care either way; I will watch regardless. Just playing devil's advocate. (Although I do like they idea of more sciencey/technological aspects of history being shown.)

I'd like them to touch on the 1919 Treaty of Versailles - imagine Rittenhouse interfering there?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

How do we know it didn't? ;-)

Well yeah, it probably messed with the League of Nations, too. Maybe they arrive, see how 1919 Rittenhouse interfered and how 2017 Rittenhouse WANTS to interfere - maybe the Time Team will only stop the 2017 Rittenhouse, or will they try to stop both? Maybe 1919 Rittenhouse was responsible for the massive German reparations?

22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Here's what's in store for the show in the immediate future.

I daresay we may be getting some spoilers by the end of the year or early next year.  And did you notice that the show is moving from Vancouver to Los Angeles for Season 2 production?

See, this would be good news, but then I realize it's July 2. Literally the middle day of the year. Early NEXT year is FAR. (I avoid spoilers anyway, but still... FAR.)

(edited)
On 7/2/2017 at 2:58 PM, Randomosity said:

See, this would be good news, but then I realize it's July 2. Literally the middle day of the year. Early NEXT year is FAR. (I avoid spoilers anyway, but still... FAR.)

That's only six months from now.  It'll go by fast.  ;-)

Edited by legaleagle53
On July 1, 2017 at 6:12 PM, legaleagle53 said:

… the show is moving from Vancouver to Los Angeles for Season 2 production?

I guess that means more desert landings instead of lush forests—maybe more of the Wild West.
Can they land on the moon?

• Love 1
On 7/4/2017 at 2:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

I guess that means more desert landings instead of lush forests—maybe more of the Wild West.
Can they land on the moon?

I still get a kick of what they said would be future Pittsburgh on the show, and what looked to be a teeny, tiny river instead of the 3 massive rivers that make Pittsburgh into a peninsula.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:19 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I still get a kick of what they said would be future Pittsburgh on the show, and what looked to be a teeny, tiny river instead of the 3 massive rivers that make Pittsburgh into a peninsula.

To be fair, many modern rivers have been incredibly altered from their original natural state via dams, locks, levees, etc.  A quick google yields info that says "Before the corps built [locks and dams], sometimes the depth in spots of our rivers fell to 12 inches, making them unable to support boat traffic.  The dams constructed on the rivers act, according to the Army Corps of Engineers, as an “aquatic staircase,” allowing the water level to be controlled.  The rivers are maintained at a depth of 9 feet." per http://popularpittsburgh.com/threerivers/.  12 inches sounds about right for what the Time Team was wading through.

I completely agree that the move to LA will be noticeable in terms of the lack of alpine forests of BC.

I have no shame in admitting that I hope this show ends up on either Thursday or Friday night next summer.  If somehow the stars aligned and I got an hour of Timeless + an hour of Killjoys on Fri. nights, for 10 straight weeks, it would literally be comparable to feeling the joy of the holiday season in the summertime [for me].

(edited)
On 7/14/2017 at 5:07 PM, Randomosity said:

To be fair, many modern rivers have been incredibly altered from their original natural state via dams, locks, levees, etc.  A quick google yields info that says "Before the corps built [locks and dams], sometimes the depth in spots of our rivers fell to 12 inches, making them unable to support boat traffic.  The dams constructed on the rivers act, according to the Army Corps of Engineers, as an “aquatic staircase,” allowing the water level to be controlled.  The rivers are maintained at a depth of 9 feet." per http://popularpittsburgh.com/threerivers/.  12 inches sounds about right for what the Time Team was wading through.

I completely agree that the move to LA will be noticeable in terms of the lack of alpine forests of BC.

That's a good point. I know the Delaware River has been altered a lot.

The general lack of hills seems like a better argument for how Not-Pittsburgh that area was. (This Is Us is a really bad example of that- you would think Pittsburgh was a flat area based on that show.)

They should cover the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. It took place in a hotel so you can have a tight, contained story with that. The hotel was demolished but they could probably find a double.

I was about to say that they could cover the Los Angeles riots of 1992 but then I remembered the rule that they can't be in any time they were alive in. That would also let out the 1984 Olympics, which could have been cool and back then the Olympics had a tinge of Us vs. the Soviet Union.

Edited by methodwriter85
7 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

That's a good point. I know the Delaware River has been altered a lot.

The general lack of hills seems like a better argument for how Not-Pittsburgh that area was. (This Is Us is a really bad example of that- you would think Pittsburgh was a flat area based on that show.)

They should cover the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. It took place in a hotel so you can have a tight, contained story with that. The hotel was demolished but they could probably find a double.

I was about to say that they could cover the Los Angeles riots of 1992 but then I remembered the rule that they can't be in any time they were alive in. That would also let out the 1984 Olympics, which could have been cool.

I haven't been to Pittsburgh, so I can't really say anything about the hills, but I did live in Vancouver, and there are not only hills, but mountains. So I guess I didn't read the area they filmed in as flat because had prior knowledge that there are hills around there too?

Mostly, I'd love to see them do the 1906 quake in SF or something Gold Rush-y, considering they're supposed to be based in the Bay Area. I don't know how that will translate to filming in LA, however.

7 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I have no shame in admitting that I hope this show ends up on either Thursday or Friday night next summer.  If somehow the stars aligned and I got an hour of Timeless + an hour of Killjoys on Fri. nights, for 10 straight weeks, it would literally be comparable to feeling the joy of the holiday season in the summertime [for me].

I don't know enough about whether a summer or late 'regular' season run would work for audiences/ratings/renewal chances, but I had the thought that is was promos during the summer Olympics that got them their initial audience; the winter Olympics are next February and they could hit the advertising hard during those few weeks for a March-May run? I mean, I'll watch whenever, but I'd just like to see them set up for success audience/exposure/ratings-wise, whatever that means for when they 'should' air.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sneak peek at the gag reel on the Season 1 DVD, coming out on September 19.

Oh, and here's a little more news out of Thursday's SDCC.  What the article doesn't tell you is that the writers are due to start working in September and that production on Season 2 is expected to start sometime in November.  Also, Lucy's mother is going to be the new big bad, with Flynn quasi-teaming up with the Time Trio.  The show is also going to tie more historical events into the way their resolution affects the members of the Time Trio themselves.  We're also going to get more into the relationships on the show.  No plans to travel to the future, however -- they're sticking to historical events only.

It would appear that the showrunners really HAVE been listening to the fans. Now let's hope they follow through.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, xaxat said:

I see he still refuses to shave.

They're on hiatus and he doesn't seem to have a project lined up, so I can't really fault him for the scruff ATM. 

I do think their podcast is a little OTT, but my tolerance for that level of over sharing is incredibly low, so more power to them, I guess?

23 hours ago, xaxat said:

I see he still refuses to shave.

To be fair to him, the scruffy look is in and he doesn't have to play teenagers anymore. That doesn't excuse Wyatt rocking that look when he's supposed to be in the 1950's, though.

Edited by methodwriter85

Both she and the show have assured fans that her role on Gray's won't interfere with her role on Timeless, since her episodes on the former will be finished long before the latter starts production in November.

Oh, and apparently you can pre-order the Season 1 DVD on Amazon.com, even though it's not due to be released until September 19. 

3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Both she and the show have assured fans that her role on Gray's won't interfere with her role on Timeless, since her episodes on the former will be finished long before the latter starts production in November.

Oh, and apparently you can pre-order the Season 1 DVD on Amazon.com, even though it's not due to be released until September 19. 

And NBC probably has first dibs on her even if it does interfere

46 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What, you think spoilers are going to be released the first day they're back at work?  Give them a month to actually have a few scripts written!

If the actors are back, scripts are written. Never mind, I was just looking at the @. No actors there. 

Edited by kariyaki
58 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What, you think spoilers are going to be released the first day they're back at work?  Give them a month to actually have a few scripts written!

I used to the quality stuff from The 100 Writers twitter feed. They always post a last season behind the scenes picture of the actors being silly on set when they post current season writing staff news or even post their writing process boards/tables/art/notes!

Edited by CooperTV
On 9/19/2016 at 8:50 PM, Lebanna said:

Actually, 'Quantum Leap' was a government group - specifically the scientific division of the United States Navy (that's why Al dressed up in his admiral uniform whenever they needed extra funding...). And UNIT in 'Doctor Who' is also UK military. And, yes, 'Time Cop' and everything else.

I think it's the fact that this show is now and the characters seem to be just so similar and that apparently they were in talks with the producers for a remake, that is getting up people's noses and what is leading to the court case. Because it's kind of an odd coincidence, eh? It's like there are a million 'girl meets boy, girl finds out boy is serial killer' stories, or 'kid goes to magic school' stories, but whether it's plagarizing someone else all depends on the way you tell 'em. 

But we haven't seen the show yet. So we don't really know how it'll pan out.

Project Quantum Leap was not a division of the US Navy. It was a private project FUNDED by the US Government and had a Naval Admiral as a representative overseeing the project.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Really?  I can't make it out at all.

Yep, I can see it too.

Question: is this thread spoiler-free? Where's the line between news and spoilers? Just for my own reference. I'm trying to stay avoid spoilers this season. I don't care about the episode titles; I just don't want plot at all. I'll keep away if spoilers are to be expected here.

• Love 2